"Stupid Girl Moment" - Need a loving knock in the head from the ladies&

baltomom86

As much as I struggle with the excess fat I know I could lose sometimes I'm glad my body is the way it is. On several occasions after a class (I teach group fitness) I've had a member say they are glad I'm not super skinny because it made them less intimidated. One member said "You're not super skinny yet you still kick my ass". Love it! Confidence is sexy! Own your body! Move your body! Love your body! Inspire others!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

I googled it. OMG. What is wrong with our world! 

OMG, THIS IS A THING???????? What the EFF is wrong with people?  This is women doing this to ourselves, setting these ridiculous standards for each other to live up to.  We don't need to be oppressed or objectified by anyone else, we're experts at doing it to ourselves.  I feel sick...and like I might cry.

Baltomom! Thank you so much for this post!! I read a lot - and it really drives me crazy that about 90% of the heroines in books are described as "slender". Ugh! And let's not forget the books where the girls might have a little tummy bulge - they get lumped into the BBW category. BBW as in "Big, Beautiful Women". Neither one really makes me feel any better. But you ladies on this forum - you make me feel good about myself. Even with the tummy bulge I've had since I was twelve and that I *know* is not going anywhere no matter what I do. Yes sir, I'll show you a bikini bridge alright! :P

Bikini bridge!?!  There were over 100 photos in that tumblr.  Good gravy, why do we do this to ourselves?  There are times when I love technology-hello W30 forum, right?-but there are times when I wish it all away.  It isn't that our mothers or grandmothers never compared themselves to other women, I think that is somehow basic human nature and has always been a part of marketing to women, but they were not bombarded at every turn with images and messages of how you can never measure up through social media.  And I agree, most men do not care about gaps or bridges-and if that is what they care about then buh-bye!

• Administrators

This continues to horrify me as the day goes along. These are a bunch of pictures of headless bodies celebrating the fact that they are so skinny that even their underwear are too big.  Are ya frigging KIDDING?!

THAT VIDEO WAS AWESOME! Seriously, I've liked it on Youtube so I can find it again and again and again.

The thing that still bothers me right now are those "fitspo/thinspo" images where they take pictures of bigger women who are working out, cut off their heads in the picture, and caption it with "everyone starts somewhere." Like, how do you know they're just starting out? What if they're at the peak of physical performance? There are a lot of sports that don't work for tiny people. You try playing basketball as a wisp of a woman and see what happens.

Baltomom, I hereby invite you to edit your title. You are not a Stupid Girl having a Moment, nor do you require knocking on your head.

You are:

Intelligent

Savvy

Funny

Articulate

(add more things here)

Woman

Person

Human being

Resident of planet earth

You are not having a moment,

You are having a struggle with internalized oppression, and you are intelligent enough to reach out for support, to be reminded that you didn't start this fire.

You do not need a head knock,

You do need constant gentle, loving, and respectful treatment from everyone.

:wub:

That there is my political rant for the afternoon. Fight the power! Love yourself!

• Administrators

THAT VIDEO WAS AWESOME! Seriously, I've liked it on Youtube so I can find it again and again and again.

The thing that still bothers me right now are those "fitspo/thinspo" images where they take pictures of bigger women who are working out, cut off their heads in the picture, and caption it with "everyone starts somewhere." Like, how do you know they're just starting out? What if they're at the peak of physical performance? There are a lot of sports that don't work for tiny people. You try playing basketball as a wisp of a woman and see what happens.

Or any supposed inspirational poster/image where the woman's head is chopped off. Because talk about devaluing her as an actual human being, she is nothing but an assembly of body parts to be desired. Shameful, really!

So apparently the bikini bridge was a social media experiment.  Someone decided to create the newest body trend and see if it would go viral.  It did, and took on a life of its own.  Fascinating how social media has changed society.  http://www.eonline.com/news/497785/bikini-bridge-everything-you-need-to-know-about-this-horrible-and-fake-new-body-trend

Archived