Favorite Cooking Oils? Missing butter!

What is everyone's favorite cooking oils? I want something for steaming or stir-frying vegetables. Olive oil is not my favorite, and I cooked veggies in ghee last night and it gave the veggies an odd taste. Any suggestions? I do enjoy steamed veggies, but need some new oils to try. Delicious tasting oils, please!

• Administrators

I use lard for nearly everything that I sautee.  I assume you aren't using oil when you steam though but rather to toss them in after? Avocado or sesame oil is nice too.

• Moderators

Coconut oil is good -- I buy unrefined and don't usually notice any coconut flavor, but if you don't like coconut, you might prefer a refined coconut oil, which will not smell or taste like coconut at all.

Avocado oil or macadamia nut oil work for cooking. If you can find it from grass-fed or pasture-raised animals, lard or tallow (or duck fat or schmaltz -- I think that's what chicken fat is called). If you ever use bacon, save the fat and cook vegetables in that.

If you drizzle oil on after the fact, you can try sesame oil.

I've been saving the fat from when I roast chicken (pastured organic chicken). let it separate, strain it off and keep it in the fridge. Mmmm, schmaltz!  I love the flavor! I also save the fat from rendering bacon and have super high-quality lard and ghee. Depends on what I'm cooking as to which food fat or fats I grab. Turns out I really like to fry my eggs in a combo of schmaltz and ghee. Brussles sprouts/cabbage, cruciferous veggies like the bacon fat. Everything else gets lard for high heat, EVOO for low heat/raw. 

I use red palm oil on occassion. Start small and add more after tasting because it does have a more pronouced flavor than other oils. Also watch out for getting it on things because it can stain utensils or hands.

I saved the fat from the last joint of pulled pork I did & sauteed a huge batch mixed greens in it at the suggestion of Rebe_J - it was really, really good! And I liked the idea of recycling...

I've been saving the fat from when I roast chicken (pastured organic chicken). let it separate, strain it off and keep it in the fridge. Mmmm, schmaltz!  I love the flavor! I also save the fat from rendering bacon and have super high-quality lard and ghee.

These are great ideas!  I just got the results of a comprehensive food sensitivity panel (I know there are mixed opinions on this), and it showed a severe intolerance to olives and coconut.  I don't know what to cook in without these oils!  I am allergic to avocados and I'm on the AIP so I can't use nut oils...ugh!  However, bacon fat would be awesome.  Schmaltz too, but bacon fat...I'm going to buy some bacon tonight.

These are great ideas!  I just got the results of a comprehensive food sensitivity panel (I know there are mixed opinions on this), and it showed a severe intolerance to olives and coconut.  I don't know what to cook in without these oils!  I am allergic to avocados and I'm on the AIP so I can't use nut oils...ugh!  However, bacon fat would be awesome.  Schmaltz too, but bacon fat...I'm going to buy some bacon tonight.

Try Macadamia Nut Oil.   I don't do so well with coconut oil either. 

mac-nut-oil-2-pack.jpg

I was skeptical about clarifying butter at first, but last weekend decided I needed a change up from olive oil and coconut oil just doesn't work for a lot of things.

So I followed the directions in the Whole 30 book to clarify butter, and I have to tell you, I think it held on to its flavor pretty well. Hubby and I have been using it for our morning eggs and its pretty nice. Give it a try.

Archived