The Columbus Crew

dcducks1

Hi Dave & Crew!!!

I'm in! I'm doing my first W30. I just started yesterday so today is Day 2. My fridge, pantry, and freezer have been cleaned out and refilled with compliant foods, & I feel ready to go :rolleyes: . Thanks for allowing me to joining your group. :D 

Best,

Lauren

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a newbie to the forums, but have completed one Whole 30 about a year ago with great results!  However, due to some unfortunate circumstances, I've put on about 25 pounds since then and have not been good to myself.  I've started a few whole 30's over the past few months, but found excuses quickly.  This time is different.  I'm ready to get my health back and to feel great again.  I'm on day 3 and I was happy to find a group that started the same day I did! 

I've had two nights of great sleep and prepared a ton of food for the week.  So far I'm feeling very positive and on track.  We can do this!  Preparation is key!  Off to clean a bathroom now, since my fridge is squeaky clean :) 

Hi there! I'm on day 3 of my very first whole30. Definitely feeling irritable, tired, and almost tearful at times. Granted Ive had depression most of my life but it's definitely more than usual. I've made a lot of changes in my lifestyle and food seemed to be one of the major things keeping me in captivity from living a more energetic and productive life. Looking forward to the tips and encouragement on this forum!

I am really loving Whole30's focus on food accumulation and preparation! To me, food has always represented comfort and preparing it -- a meditation of sorts. Not only do I love to shop, but I love to prep veggies. Over the past three days I have purchased a ton of vegetables. But, each day I return to the store because I have eaten them all. This is my kinda problem!  :) 

Day 3 is going really well, with the only weird side effect -- a funny taste in my mouth -- which I am sure will go away soon. My fridge is clean and I'm painting my (clean) bathroom and bathroom ceiling today. I'm trying to keep moving. 

M1 Egg scramble with sausage, spinach, tomatoes, and half of an avocado. 

M2 Leftover broiled skinless chicken breast with a dollop of mayo + leftover sauteed vegetables + half an avocado + a boiled egg

Planning... M3 Grilled steak with salad with tons of colorful veggies + walnuts + basic vinaigrette 

I cannot believe I need to go buy MORE veggies again today. Whole30, I seriously love you.  

Day 3 is going really well, with the only weird side effect -- a funny taste in my mouth -- which I am sure will go away soon. 

You might be going too low carb - Are you including a fist sized serving of starchy veg daily? (think beets, potatoes, parsnips, turnips, carrots, pumpkin etc)

Ummmm, no, jmcbn, I'm not! :(

Okay, I'll alter my plans. I would welcome some potatoes, beets and carrots, anyway, so this is good. The more variation, the less chance of getting bored. Thanks!

Hi there! I'm on day 3 of my very first whole30. Definitely feeling irritable, tired, and almost tearful at times. Granted Ive had depression most of my life but it's definitely more than usual. I've made a lot of changes in my lifestyle and food seemed to be one of the major things keeping me in captivity from living a more energetic and productive life. Looking forward to the tips and encouragement on this forum!

nicole, the first few days are the hardest. I've dealt with depression most of my life (I'm 58 now) and this is the BEST thing I've ever done, not just for the depression, but for all of my disordered eating issues as well! You'll feel better eventually, and you won't believe the difference! Hang in there.

Here's a link to the Timeline that will help explain things: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Day Two winding down. Since my fridge and bathroom are already clean, I did my 30 minutes of cleaning at work. We are just at the end of our cubicle renovation, and I moved out of my temporary space and got started moving into my new space. Now comes dealing with all the paper that I piled up and moved across the building twice. I'm pretty sure I'm never going to find anything ever again! Not to mention that all the moving has left me without any hope of meeting this month's deadlines. At least I'm not alone--most of the other people in my location are in the same boat! And thanks to my new way of eating, I've got the energy to get the job done eventually...

I am in the process of moving out of my rental. I have 2 weeks to pack it all up so I've been doing 30+ minutes each evening of cleaning and boxing. Tonight I'll do the guest bathroom as I'm saving the fridge for last... a deep clean after, empty it fully, turn it off and get it to room temp. :)

Hi

Motoring along here, have been doing my exercise, not huge but great for me. I have been stretching and riding the stationary bike (couldn't pedal before because my knee wouldn't bend, now I can do short stints several times a day), and am vacuming with enthusiasm!

Staying compliant and that is really no problem, just seems I am preparing food all the time. Today's tasks include processing the many ripening avocados, I put them in the freezer and then winter avo problem is solved! Love avos so we are both eating one a day.

Am a bit concerned because I am acidic--have posted a question in the troubleshooting area. No digestive upsets but seem to be sweating vinegar--how strange is that. But my energy is good, sleeping is good and I don't want to change this way of eating at all. Even when I have to bake for others I am not at all tempted to taste or eat any of the products--that is huge huge huge. I feel so much better and in control. It may be that I need more time to heal the insides. Any ideas?

Cottagequeen - no worries. Hope you are on the mend. I am 6 weeks past spine surgery and no full well how hard it is to get back to feeling like you want to. I am a fighter and don't let many things (reads NOTHING) get in my way. Stay strong and thanks for knocking out your chores. I'm not sure if everyone likes the chores, but when I went thru W30 the first time and started doing chores, I couldn't believe how much I got accomplished. Then, when the "Tiger Blood" kicked in......I was a human tornado. Keep up the good work!

Lauren - welcome. If you are a Cubs fan......congratulations on your team. Although I was born and raised in Illinois, I am a Cardinal fan and will be watching from home and rooting for you.

Nicole - slap a smile on and let's get on to day 4 for you. Be strong and keep an eye on the finish line. The results are pretty impressive. Be true to yourself and make sure you understand COMPLETELY why you are doing this program. This doesn't just help lose weight......or inches.......this can change peoples lives. I have heard of people growing hair back, saving money, getting jobs........although these are probably rare......how about looking better? Feeling better? Finding out you have been suffering from a food allergy and having the symptoms go away? Joint pain/swelling? Keep the faith and lets see what we can do for you!

If anyone is wondering why I have been the tour guide for ( I think it's four W30's now) these adventures........W30 pays me a 7 figure salary to motivate everyone. I know, they are probably underpaying me......but I do it out of the goodness of my heart. P.S. - don't mention the salary to anyone because the owners don't really know about my employment just yet. 

NancyW - good advice, glad you are enjoying the program. Do you deal with Seasonal Affect Disorder (SAD) living in Wisconsin? My wife used to have problems with the lack of sunshine when we lived in long cold winters of Maine.

Lissfish - sounds like a good plan on the chores. Good luck with the move......make sure you have plenty of food available and ready so as not to be tempted by any garbage food. Its tough when you are moving so this is why I am bringing it up.

Caleigh - are you new to an area where seasonal allergies might be giving you problems? Hot showers will help break things up.

Meadow - where are you? I came back to lead this group knowing that my "bestest Meadow" would be along for the journey. Need you here....nobody has the energy that you do. You are an incredible success story and people need to hear from you.  

Dave

Carleigh, if you live somewhere you can find essential oils...like from a health food store, pick up some eucalyptus oil, peppermint oil, or oregano oil, although the oregano oil is super strong....boil some water and pour it into a fairly wide bowl, put a couple of shakes of the oil on top, then put a towel over your head and inhale the steam. Works like a charm for being stopped up. I would, however, second what Dave said about allergies. The constant sneezing is probably a sign of a seasonal allergy or just a plain old cold. I am prone to upper respiratory stuff and did have any such symptoms in my whole 30 experience.

Miss Lindy, know what you mean about prepping food all.the.time....even with a good weekend cook up, I still am always thinking ahead and usually prepping fresh veggies every night. Maybe more soups and stews are called for!

Nancy, thanks for sharing about your depression. It is in my family as well, but I have seen some improvements in the person who has it as a result of the whol,e 30 way of eating...just wish he would quit drinking too.

My fridge is now clean, and I realized two things: I had pickled eggs that had to go, along with a couple other items well past their date...and I currently have enough veggies to get us well into next week. Must.stop.buying.veggies....at least for now.

TWO meals out tomorrow...I am thinking this though carefully and will probably eat something small at home before each so I am not especially hungry. Will call th dinner place in advance and ask my questions and decide what I am going to order before we go so I don't embarrass our hosts and their guests...at lunch, at an Indian place, I may order from the menu rather than have the buffet, or just stick with tandoori chicken and salad.

Oops! Looks like I need 600 more steps today to get to 10k...time to walk a path in our carpeting. Good night everyone and good day tomorrow,!

Hi everybody, day three almost in the books. Yay! Yesterday I was really irritable, but today was better. My meals have been really simple and I haven't had much time this week to cook.  It didn't help that the whole chicken I took out of the freezer to BBQ/smoke didn't thaw out in time to do it. So I will try for tomorrow to cook something better. I did go to spin class today and stayed on plan. :)

'

NancyW - good advice, glad you are enjoying the program. Do you deal with Seasonal Affect Disorder (SAD) living in Wisconsin? My wife used to have problems with the lack of sunshine when we lived in long cold winters of Maine.

Dave

Dave, it is a struggle sometimes in winter. I get out of work at 4pm, so I do get to see the sun a bit. And I walk with coworkers during lunch when it's sunny, so that helps. I use a light when I need to, and I sit by a window at work. I'm hoping the W30 helps too--it seems to be!

Nancy and Dave, thank you so much for the encouragement. I am going to keep this up because I know it's worth it. This forum is great for accountability and support. Good luck with your efforts. May the Lord Jesus bless everyone here! :)

That's what we're all here for!

Nancy, thanks for sharing about your depression. It is in my family as well, but I have seen some improvements in the person who has it as a result of the whol,e 30 way of eating...just wish he would quit drinking too.

I think I can see improvements in my own depression, which will be important as the days get even shorter!

Day 3 is done!  And hubby decided to jump on board, yay!

M1 - Eggs, roasted brussels, roasted cauliflower, avocado

M2 - omelet, asparagus, fruit, cabbage/veggie soup

M3 - Grilled chicken, salad, asparagus, Well Fed 2's Zingy Ginger sauce (so good!)

Feel good, except my kiddos seemed extra loud today.  Slight irritability noted. LOL

Hi All!

I got home from work an 1.5 hours ago and am in bed and about to go to sleep...zzz...

I strictly IF'd and did a LeanGains protocol during the summer, loved it, but got so sick of measuring and tracking everything I ate (different macros on workout days than rest days).  I've been lifting weights for 12 years and am looking forward to shedding the layers that have accumulated on top of my muscles.  I have not been in the gym a single day this week.  I will, but I'm actually backing off a little.  I walk an intense uphill 1 hr walk on my "rest" days normally- continuing to do that, because I love it.  Still will lift weights some times but not every other day and will add yoga.  I need less busy-ness and have been pushing my body too hard.  During my 12 hour shift today I was on my feet, hustling the majority of the time.  About 6 days a week I walk 25minutes after dinner.  I love walking hills fast and by myself.  :)

0615:  3 egg scramble with 1 small link turkey sausage and zucchini, mushrooms, olives, 1/2 avocado on 1/4 of a whole steamed butternut squash

1000:  black coffee with spoonful of full fat coconut milk

1230:  1/2 coconut water

1500:  salad-romaine lettuce, grilled chicken (approx 5 oz.), cucumber, yellow pepper, 1/2 avocado, small handful of cashews, dressing (tbsp coconut oil, tbsp white wine vinegar, tbsp lemon juice), small handful of blueberries

1945:  grilled beef hamburger (approx 5 oz) with spoonful of homemade mayo, 1/4 sweet potato, steamed broccoli and chard, 1/8 of a butternut squash with spoonful of coconut oil, 1/2 banana

2 quarts water throughout the day

I'm very satiated by the fat content and have not been hungry at all.  Do any moderators or our captain have any input- am I eating too much fat?  Most of my spoonfuls are about 1-1/5 tbsp.  Or too much in general? 

I'm not working out like normal and maybe this is too much without serious exercise?

Not snacking is one of my goals- and that's going great...

I "like" everyone's posts!

Carleigh, if you live somewhere you can find essential oils...like from a health food store, pick up some eucalyptus oil, peppermint oil, or oregano oil, although the oregano oil is super strong....boil some water and pour it into a fairly wide bowl, put a couple of shakes of the oil on top, then put a towel over your head and inhale the steam. Works like a charm for being stopped up. I would, however, second what Dave said about allergies. The constant sneezing is probably a sign of a seasonal allergy or just a plain old cold. I am prone to upper respiratory stuff and did have any such symptoms in my whole 30 experience.

Miss Lindy, know what you mean about prepping food all.the.time....even with a good weekend cook up, I still am always thinking ahead and usually prepping fresh veggies every night. Maybe more soups and stews are called for!

My fridge is now clean, and I realized two things: I had pickled eggs that had to go, along with a couple other items well past their date...and I currently have enough veggies to get us well into next week. Must.stop.buying.veggies....at least for now.

TWO meals out tomorrow...I am thinking this though carefully and will probably eat something small at home before each so I am not especially hungry. Will call th dinner place in advance and ask my questions and decide what I am going to order before we go so I don't embarrass our hosts and their guests...at lunch, at an Indian place, I may order from the menu rather than have the buffet, or just stick with tandoori chicken and salad.

Oops! Looks like I need 600 more steps today to get to 10k...time to walk a path in our carpeting. Good night everyone and good day tomorrow,!

You are absolutely right about soups and stews and that is one of my intentions for this month. I am not a great cook, don't like it and have made everything from scratch for years so only do basic stuff. Today I started 5 jars of sauerkraut. did an egg and veg bake, plus made items for my husband that are not W30 compliant, processed avos and by the end of the afternoon I was ready to have a major nap! Will think seriously about the soup as I have a pumpkin and a beautiful cauli that need to be used--tomorrow is another W30 day so lots of opportunity! :)

Good day today, spent the afternoon in the kitchen with John Denver and sang my heart out while I cooked up several meals. Thank goodness for some major appliances, I used the food processor to schmuck my cabbage for sauerkraut, the kitchen looked like a tornado wandered through but got the cabbage processed and in jars to await the transformation. Egg and veg baked for breakfast for the next few days, two items of baking done for my OH, and all the avos that were ready have been processed and filed in the freezer. 

Am looking forward to my bed tonight, love the good sleeps I have been having since early September. Can't quite believe it, nor can my husband, I used to wander most of the night and he has commented on how often I have woken up in the same bed I started out in lately! Funny man.

Did my clean of kitchen cupboards as well, almost forgot that one. I intend to make soup and clean the entire kitchen by the end of this weekend, may not get it all done in one go but it is on the list.

Good night hope you all have a good sleep/or day whichever time zone you are in.

Luckypennies - only time will really tell since only you know your energy levels, calorie intake requirements, etc. Give it a go and pack a little extra for lunch just in case the breakfast doesn't hold you over. If you DONT need the extra at lunch....DONT eat it anyway!

I finally got my first good sleep since the spine surgery at the beginning of September.....actually the last time was probably around June. This is bad news for the group since I usually get lots of energy after I get good sleep and then I start handing out chores like crazy!

Chore #2 - vacuum your entire house. Move furniture (those that can be moved), pick up stuff off of the floor and get everything. Vacuum the trim boards, get under the couch, back of closets...everything!

Have a great day!

Dave

Archived