Red wine vinegar?

nominaohm

• 2 months later...

SarrizleP, you can also use vinegar to soften beef that needs a long time to cook (stews) just add a bit when cooking. Balsamic is wonderful on strawberries or on raw beef. I also use it for my laundry by the way (especially on denim) to let the colours "stick". Only white vinegar of course.

• 1 year later...

If red wine vinegar is listed as an ingredient in a product (like a salad dressing, for instance), is there a way to know if the particular vinegar used contains added or naturally occurring sulfites? I've avoided the kalamata olives sold at my grocery store because I don't know what kind of sulfites are in the red wine vinegar that is one of the ingredients in the jar.

And that's a very good call. 

Unless you go on the company's website and write to them and ask them to tell you what type of RWV and if it has NOS - there's no way of knowing. 

But you could certainly do that; I often write to companies to ask for additional info on ingredients. 

E.g. Aidells sausages who would not give me the list of ingredients because it would give away their secret recipe but they could confirm that there were no nightshade or nightshade spices. 

There was a great recipe for "Poulet au vinaigre" in  Bistro Cooking by Patricia Wells.  http://aubergechezrichard.blogspot.com/2010/06/la-volaille-au-vinaigre-de-vin-bistro.html

Substitute ghee for the butter.

Ingredients
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 chicken -3 to 4 lbs; or 8 pieces of chicken your choice
Salt and fresh cracked pepper
1 cup top grade red wine vinegar
2 medium tomatoes, peeled, cored, seeded and chopped
3/4 cup chicken stock
3 tablespoons minced parsley

Directions  
1. In a deep-sided skillet heat the olive oil with 1 tablespoon of butter over high heat. Season the chicken liberally with salt and pepper. When the fats are hot but not smoking add some of the chicken and brown one side until the skin of the chicken turns golden brown (about 5 minutes). Turn the pieces and brown them on the other side (about 5 minutes). Do no crowd the pan and if necessary do this en stages.

2. When all the chicken has been browned, remove it from the skillet and pour out the cooking fat. Return the chicken to the skillet and very slowly add the vinegar. If the pan is still very hot you could experience something similar to a vinegar death cloud. Over medium high heat reduce the vinegar to about half, turning the chicken from time to time coating each side with the vinegar. About 10 minutes.

3. Add the tomatoes and chicken stock. Cover and simmer gently over low heat. About 20 minutes. The chicken can  and should be prepared ahead of time at this point.

4. To prepare the chicken for serving, remove it from the sauce and place it on a warm serving platter, cover and keep warm. If reheating the dish, heat the chicken while in the sauce then remove to a warm platter. Remove the sauce from the heat and whisk in the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter. Adjust your seasoning. Pour the sauce over the chicken and sprinkle on the parsley.

• 5 months later...

Can someone explain to me why is it that red wine vinegar is allowed, but Dijon mustard is not compliant because it contains white wine vinegar?!

Edit: never mind, it is not white wine "vinegar", it is white wine.

Mustard is a fine choice, just read your labels carefully. French’s Yellow is compliant, but beware your Dijon—it often contains white wine, which rules it out during your Whole30.

Archived