Funky Ghee?

DeeRT

Hi all...

i just bought ghee & used it for the first time.  It smelled kinda funky, almost like off milk, but I don't know what it's supposed to smell or taste like.  I scrambled eggs in it....it tasted kinda the same as it smelled - a little off, like sour milk.  Yes I felt sick to my stomach!  But I am almost always dealing with a funny tummy.  (Hence on the brink of doing W30)

Is it supposed to be strong and funky like that?

Thanks, 

DeeRt

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I've yet to find a commercial one that isn't... unpalatable...  Make your own.  Super easy.  You need butter, cheese cloth (or coffee filter), pot, stove.  That's it.  Mine tastes almost like caramel.  Way better than store bought.  The trick to the caramel flavor is to let it go until the frothy bits on top start to turn a little brown (a snitch darker than in the images below).  Then take it off the heat immediately so it doesn't burn.  

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/15235810877/diy-ghee

1 hour ago, littleg said:

I've yet to find a commercial one that isn't... unpalatable...  Make your own.  Super easy.  You need butter, cheese cloth (or coffee filter), pot, stove.  That's it.  Mine tastes almost like caramel.  Way better than store bought.  The trick to the caramel flavor is to let it go until the frothy bits on top start to turn a little brown (a snitch darker than in the images below).  Then take it off the heat immediately so it doesn't burn.  

Caramel tasting ghee is like the holy grail - so delicious!  I am always thrilled when I get it just right.  My last batch was so good, I could easily eat it off a spoon.

59 minutes ago, snowflower said:

what brand and type of butter do you use to make your own?? salted or unsalted??

I've been buying Purity Farms for a couple of years now and love it, but am curious about this "caramel" ghee! 

I use Kerry Gold if I have the money and the cheapest store brand of unsalted butter if I'm feeling frugal. Both make delicious ghee.

Personally I hate (hate!) browned ghee and much prefer the clarified butter state. Either way, it takes about 40 minutes to make and is dead simple. I use the instructions from Alton Brown. Be aware though that it doesn't take long to get from the clarified state to browned to burned so watch it to make sure it is simmering, not burning.

This is a great topic. Thanks for sharing. I tried making ghee this weekend and didn't get it right. I now see that I didn't simmer it for long enough. I'm going to give it another try. A baked potato with butter (ghee) and salt is a total comfort food for me. Not something for every day but a treat to look forward to.

Jill

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Use unsalted for sure.  Brand is up to you - I use Kerrygold personally.  

And I found this too - this is the color of my ghee after filtering, before hardening (when it turns more yellow, less amber).

19913314552_b441d80035_n.jpg

6 hours ago, snowflower said:

what brand and type of butter do you use to make your own?? salted or unsalted??

I've been buying Purity Farms for a couple of years now and love it, but am curious about this "caramel" ghee! 

I use unsalted KerryGold

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 10:12 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

Ew, no... not really... it smells a bit like really strong butter to me... the Trader Joe one stinks and tastes awful tho (in my opinion, others love it) so if that's the one you got, maybe... 

I thought I was the only one who disliked the Trader Joes one! I bought two little jars of it before starting my first W30 and have used it a few times (enough to use up the first jar) but haven't opened the second one because I just didn't like it enough to. I know they take returns/exchanges with no questions asked so I may just do that.

A question on making your own - how much of the butter (do you all use one pound at a time?) ends up filtering out as milk solids to be discarded and how much clarified butter do you actually get out of each batch?

Also, why unsalted compared to the salted-- is it just a taste preference?

• 4 weeks later...

So, I just bought the giant tub of ghee from Costco. This is the first time i have bought ghee. I have made it myself in the past and it was delicious. In an effort to save time I failed to take into account that the premade stuff would not be nearly as good. Has anyone re-made store bought ghee to get it to that deliciously nutty flavor? This store bought ghee is very yellow and I'm missing the beautiful caramel color too! Any advice is much appreciated!

I also find lots of commercial ghee to taste funky. I avoid buying it in large containers as I notice even good ones start to smell weird to me when they've been open awhile (oxidisation I suspect). My favourite is (Australian) Pepe Saya which comes in a small glass jar. I can't bear the smell of heated dairy (and I am possibly too lazy) so I don't make my own.

If I can't find a good one I just use olive oil, coconut oil or duck fat. If you find you don't like ghee, these cover just about everything you can use ghee for :)

I just throw 4 sticks of unsalted butter in the slow cooker and let it melt and simmer for two or three hours, then strain it through cheesecloth. It also works fine on the stovetop, but needs a little more babysitting to make sure the solids don't get too brown. I also just saw a post from someone who used their Instant Pot to make ghee!

Stephanie

Archived