Anyone not feeling the expected detox side effects?

msmirnio

Folks - I started my official Whole30 3 days ago - I'm a bit worried that I'm not experiencing any of the side-effects everyone's been talking about - negative or positive! No grogginess or cravings (however, I do have some wicked dreams of cheating!!), nor more energy or fresh feeling,etc... Maybe I need to get a few more days into it seeing as "everyone's different". I'd love to hear if anyone has feedback or similar experiences/worries!

Additionally - I'm a little concerned that eating less-than-kosher-grade meat might be affecting the detox process - could this really make all the difference if I prepare my meat leanly?

I had the same worry; what am I doing wrong? So, instead of focusing on the fact that I was not fitting into a "template" of what to expect, I focused on evaluating for me and me alone the changes I DID notice. I noticed I was really, freakishly full after every meal. I noticed I did not want breakfast. Being aware of these things alone helped to feel like I was making progress when I actually could not wait to eat breakfast, and found I was hungry at the start of every meal and satisfied, but not stuffed, at the end.

There are so many variables. If someone comes from eating at the drive-thru 3 times a day to whole30, there changes are going to be significantly different than someone who was already almost Paleo.

Take note of how you feel, and use that as your benchmark as you progress through this self-experiment.

I'm on Day 6 and noticing no effects this time other than a headache for about half a day (Day 2 if I remember correctly), though I was still 95% on the paleo wagon so as kb said above, your prior eating habits probably affect your symptoms or lack thereof.

Interesting about your dreams, last night I had a dream that I was eating crackers and couldn't stop myself. I thought it was funny, considering in my awakeness crackers are the furthest thing from my mind. Now a glass of wine, that's a different story, so why am I not dreaming about that instead? The brain is a mysterious thing.

Only side-effect I have is dead legs (at least when I start) on my runs in the morning. I Think the black coffee I drink and the little bit of fruit and sweet potatoes I've been eating keeps the sugar withdrawls at bay. Feel better than ever eating this way.

• 4 years later...

Thanks for all of the replies everyone! (five years ago lol).

I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't experiencing many side-effects this round. I felt more side-effects with my first 3 rounds last year. I do eat paleo 95% of the time now and made sure not to over drink or do treats a week or so before Whole30. I think this helped immensely.

I'm concluding day 10 and haven't really had any negative side effects either. I didn't eat super healthy, but I definitely didn't eat unhealthily previously. Sometimes I worry that it means this isn't going to do much for me, but I have promised myself to see it through. I hope my fears are wrong.

This is my first Whole 30 and I'm on day 5. I have not felt any negative side effects on the timeline. However I have felt way too full after every meal even though I'm not having full size servings. Do I really have to eat that much? I generally eat healthy but during the holidays I ate sugar, gluten, dairy and alcohol. The only thing I say I'm wanting is a glass of wine. I was feeling hungry around 9:30 tonight even though I was stuffed after dinner. So I had a 2 inch piece of banana. Is that legal? 

I just discovered that the Juice Plus Garden Blend I've been taking for a year has rice bran and oat bran. It's mostly veggies so it can't be very much in 2 capsules, but there it is. I've taken them 3 times in the six days I've been doing the whole 30. I assumed it contained only veggies so I didn't check before. So does it really matter to the program?

Unfortunately your body cannot distinguish between an accidental ingestion, or a purposeful one - and it won;t matter much to your gut if it was a small or  large amount - it takes you back to square one.

Can I ask why you felt the need to continue the Juice Plus capsules? Whole30 encourages you to eat whole foods - provided you're following the template x3 times a day for 30 days you should be getting all the nutrients you need from the array of vegetables you'll be eating. Just saying!

Ultimately though, you get to decide - have a read at >this article< and let us know your thoughts.

Hi jmcbn, to answer your question "Why I felt the need to continue Juice Plus?" It has made a big positive difference in my food sensitivies over the year I've been taking it and I had no idea it had anything but fruits and veggies in it. I thought more of those is good, right?  I've been reading every label and eliminated everything on Whole 30 list, I thought. :mellow: I just happened to read the ingredients 2 days ago. Isn't bran indigestible and just passes through unabsorbed? Just asking?  The mistake was just that, but I get the point. I have been totally compliant for 2 days so I guess I'll rewind to January 6. I made it through a birthday party last night for which I cooked a Whole 30 compliant meal and then watched while my family ate cake and drank wine so I feel good about my commitment. Any other advice is welcome. Thank you. 

2 minutes ago, Leajea said:

I thought more of those is good, right?

Absolutely, but definitely preferable in their natural form over a supplement...

The other thing is that one of the things about Whole30 is that you can learn a lot about how your body reacts to certain foods, how well it can perform on whole foods. There is nothing inherently wrong with taking a supplement, but throwing one into the mix can skew results.

When bran is ground down as it's likely to be in a capsule/tablet format it won't go un-absorbed.

Well done for making it through the birthday party - that can be hard - and well done too on your commitment. This was a genuine mistake, I know.

I appreciate your input. I don't want to tell my husband I'm starting over because he's looking counting the days when we can go out to eat "whatever" again. He is supportive but not participating with me. He loves bread and sweets so that's what I face everyday. He eats what I cook though and adds-on..

Can I ask another question please? Greatest posted several Whole 30 breakfast ideas. I made Cinnamon Apple Nut breakfast porridge and Banana Chia pudding. Are they considered just fats and fruit? And I need to add a serving of protein? I'm not sure how to break it down to the elements. 

2 minutes ago, Leajea said:

Can I ask another question please? Greatest posted several Whole 30 breakfast ideas. I made Cinnamon Apple Nut breakfast porridge and Banana Chia pudding. Are they considered just fats and fruit? And I need to add a serving of protein? I'm not sure how to break it down to the elements. 

Sorry to be the bearer of more bad news @Leajea, but neither of these are great options and we'd encourage you to leave both until the end of your 30 days :(

The nut porridge in particular falls into Sex With Your Pants On category as it's a recreation of a traditional breakfast food. Nuts are recommended to be eaten in moderation so it's likely you're going over the 'closed handful' serving in one meal here which can be particularly hard on the digestive system. The chia pudding tends to be fat heavy - chia seeds are a fat for Whole30 purposes, and then you're adding in the coconut milk which is also a fat. You'd need to be having both protein & veg alongside this to make it match the recommended template. They're technically compliant, just not ideal.

The easiest approach is to think of each meal in terms of the template - Are you getting adequate protein & fat at each meal? Are you getting the recommended 1-3 cups of veg? Is fruit pushing veg off of your plate?

Hope this helps.

Archived