Starting July 17

SLHorowitz86

18 minutes ago, SLHorowitz86 said:

It has been very quiet this week! Is everyone still in this besides Dani and myself?

My status:

1. I am continuing to feel energized (though today i did NOT want to wake up).

2. People have been commenting that they are seeing a difference in my body so thats awesome. And a pair of pants i couldn't button before starting now fit so thats AWESOME! It makes me want to continue this clean eating if this is the results i will get...

3. I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO over cooking every meal.... that is never going to get easier. Especially having to wake up 30 minutes earlier in the morning so that i can make breakfast. There has to be an easier way. 

4. My patience is much thinner on this way of eating - i am much more snappy and "bitchy" - wonder when that will go away or if i have just reached my witts end with coworkers (probably the latter)

5. My skin looks better as well. 

6. I am depressed that here is another Friday without a couple glasses of wine and a nice dinner out.... 

How is everyone else making out?

I am still on it. Day 19 today! 

1. The energy part has not hit me yet at all. I have enough to get me through my 30 minute workouts every night but that is it. 

2. And I am with you about the clothes and continuing the clean eating. But not only are those results exciting but how I feel after eating is awesome. I never used to be able to eat anything without feeling bloated and uncomfortable afterwards, even if it was healthy. 

3. As for cooking, the meals are getting simpler and simpler but I am making them easier on my own to save on money. I also love spending time in the kitchen...I create a lot of random recipes. As for breakfast, every night before bed I crack two eggs into a tupperware container. Once I get to work and get settled in for the morning, I stir the eggs, add salt and pepper, sometimes spinach leaves, or hot sauce, and heat them in the microwave for 55 seconds, and top with pico or I feel like that day, and eat that in the morning. It's quick and you can add a handful of veggies to just munch on too. You can even just whip it up at home in the morning and its quick and the more you experiment with what you add to them, the less you start to get sick of eggs every morning. Well at least it has worked for me for 19 days :) See, I may love being in the kitchen, but I don't love getting up earlier than I have to. I prepare what I can at night so I can wake up, shower, feed the animals, let the dog out, get ready, and head out the door. I give myself 25 minutes to do all that and that is all I want. More time to sleep for me :) There are a lot of sweet potato hash recipes that are easy to prepare the night before and make a big batch of and separate into containers and use for breakfast. http://www.paleorunningmomma.com/sweet-potato-hash-sausage-paleo-whole30/ and if you can find Aidell's Chicken and Apple Chicken Sausage. http://littlecoconutty.com/2015/09/whole30-breakfast-hash.html Those are compliant and delicious! I made my hash on Sunday night and I should have made more because I would have eaten that for all three meals. SO GOOD! 

4. Ha, I think it may be witts end with coworkers. I used to be bitchy and snappy with my employees and now, I magically gained patience and am happier at work. I have always been happy at work because I love my job but I used to get fairly annoyed daily. I still get annoyed but I don't show it anymore and let me just say this, I have never been one who has had patience. 

5. I haven't noticed a difference with my skin, but I'm a pale Irish girl who's never really had bad skin, not since middle school any ways. 

6. CURSES TO THE WEEKEND! Most people look forward to weekends, and I do for the sake I get to see the boyfriend, but I don't right now because, during the week, I cook, I clean, I workout, and I am ok not having that glass of wine at night when I get home from work. But come Friday, we have had a routine for a year now and we can no longer follow our routine because it consisted of a nice dinner out and beer or wine. :( I used to work in the service industry. My first job was a waitress when I was 16 and then I grew up and became a bartender for quite some years and well, maybe this goes along with my low level of patience, but I could NOT stand when people would come in and order something but then request fifteen million different things to change about the order. If you don't like our ingredients and the way we cook it here, then stay at home and cook it yourself! So I refuse to be someone who goes into an establishment and orders the steak salad but requests they dont cook my steak anywhere near butter and to change out the cheese for olives, or bring me the salad dressings so I can read the ingredients. I'm going to stay at home and make it myself so I know its done right! 

Earlier this week I was in the fearing state of no progress was showing up. And all I want to do is step on the scale to see if there is maybe a little something happening, but I have been noticing a change in some of my clothes fitting a little looser, even my bra is loose. :):) I have really become an ingredient reading fanatic? Have you suffered from that yet? Are you reading the labels on everything, even the stuff you know you can't have but just to see what's all in it?

Are you working out with your Whole30? As you get closer to that day 30, have you thought about what you want to reintroduce first?

Andie Out!

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HI all I'm still here.  Wish I had a quiet week - mine has been frantic and all over the place but....

I'm on day 20 today!!! (Saturday) Yaaaayyyy!   Two thirds done!!!! 

I have to admit I'm a bit over the cooking thing too but I still do up my 3 big containers of par cooked veg a week.    A combo I'm liking is a frozen mix steamed and tossed in onion powder, garlic powder and ghee. Plus I bake some.  Anyway I also cook up a humungus batch of Mel J's chicken thighs.    Sometimes I add homemade stock (I freeze my homemade stuff in one cup lots)  and have chicken and veg soup.  This changes with the veg I add. Shredded coleslaw is my new friend, it goes in salads, soups, reheats with other veg and is currently my good pal.  So foodwise my routine is omelette and veg for breky, chicken and salad for lunch, protein and veg for tea.  So far so  good. 

My little victories so far:

1.  quietly confident with life in general

2.  feeling stable and at peace on a deep level

3. skin is fantastic

4. more energy but not in the tiger blood way I'd imagined just able to get through the day with steady, even energy until bed,

5. kinder to others (due to less mood swings ;))

6. clothes a little looser - (thank god)

7. more consistent with the gym due to not being so tired in the morning.

Still miss my vino tho...

Only 10 days to go!!:D

Hi!

I'm still on it...my upside list:

1. Kinder
  2. Higher energy 
  3. Skin looks GREAT
  4. Clothes are fitting nicely
  5. Sleeping better
  6. Trying new recipes
  7. Trying new food

I haven't really 'craved' sugar but it is hard to say no to the occasional piece of cake or slice of pie. I'm determined to see this to the end and keep it going at a 90/10 rate. I'm going to reintroduce foods slowly and embrace this life change. 

Way to go to everyone whom also stayed on & Happy Monday!!

Hello all! 

DAY 22!!!

Its all downhill from here :) 

My stats:

1. GI issues still improved.

2. Skin looking great.

3. No tiger blood, although my energy is improved from the exhaustion I felt last week. Basically just my normal level of energy. 

4. Still sick of cooking although the hubs and I are getting into a groove. I am realizing the benefits of prioritizing mealtimes and prepping as a self care routine. I don't expect to maintain this same level of cooking but will work to find a balance that I can manage when this is done. 

5. I am going to take the reintroduction phase seriously. I am very curious to find out what it is that has been causing my GI issues. My husband thinks it's dairy which will make me sad but I live in a place where it's pretty easy to find dairy alternatives so it's not the end of the world. 

6. I will be having wine on day 31 :) 

Have a great day everyone! 

Dani

Day 23

1. I'm still waking up uncomfortable with abdomen pain and gassy, every morning now. And I don't know why but its irritating and painful. 

2. My energy has not increased but my clothes are definitely looser and I am seeing a bit of a difference in the mirror.

3. I look forward to remaining paleo and keeping dairy and grains out of my diet. I will be reintroducing wine first. :)

4. I miss having Gilmore Girl snacks with wine and girl talking with my best friend. It's not the same with water and carrot sticks, hehe

5. I went from cooking all kinds of experimental dishes to being one who now too is tired of cooking and I am one who loves being in the kitchen. 

Keep up the great work everyone! The finish line isn't far away!! You rule!

Andie Out!

well... sadly... i caved in over the weekend... i made it 20 days. I felt so good on it, but my husband and I could not bare cooking another meal at home and being unsocial saturday night that we agree'd together to give up :(. I feel like a quitter... and i am already feeling the affects of not eating whole 30... i am SO SO SO SLEEPY! i was getting up last week feeling like a million bucks.. and then this week, on my commute into work i struggle to keep my eyes open while driving! 

My husband and I decided that we are going to stick with 80/20 rule. We are eating paleo/whole30 Monday - Friday and on weekends we are going to live our lives unrestricted. The stress of constantly having to be conscious about what goes into my mouth, and what we are going to cook for dinner, and if we go out to dinner can we find something compliant, just isn't worth the reward. So we went to barnes and noble this weekend and grabbed a couple Paleo cook books and the Whole30 cookbook and are eager to stick with our new plan. (seems to work for everyone else in our crossfit family so hopefully we will reap the same benefits)

I wish all of you guys the best of luck with the last week!! you guys are awesome! can't wait to follow this feed through the 30th day to see how everyone makes out!

49 minutes ago, SLHorowitz86 said:

" just isn't worth the reward"

This is going to sound harsh but I say it with friendship, HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT?  Not worth the reward my *&*!  You might want to go back and read your old posts about why you wanted to commit to this in the first place.  

I'm glad you want to continue on the way you are, I really do wish you the best. You really are worth the effort you put into it.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, pearlgirl2017 said:

This is going to sound harsh but I say it with friendship, HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT?  Not worth the reward my *&*!  You might want to go back and read your old posts about why you wanted to commit to this in the first place.

Woah! Maybe you two have a relationship that I'm not aware of, but this message is super harsh! It sounds to me like @SLHorowitz86 made a decision that is the right one for her at this time and the rest of us have no skin in that game, so to speak. The Whole30 is a choice, not an obligation and if she feels that it's not right for her at this time (or ever), then that's OK.  It's not up to any of us to judge whether or not it's "worth the reward" for her and her husband. Maybe it is for you, @pearlgirl2017 but everyone judges "worth it" differently.

Just now, ladyshanny said:

Woah! Maybe you two have a relationship that I'm not aware of, but this message is super harsh! It sounds to me like @SLHorowitz86 made a decision that is the right one for her at this time and the rest of us have no skin in that game, so to speak. The Whole30 is a choice, not an obligation and if she feels that it's not right for her at this time (or ever), then that's OK.  It's not up to any of us to judge whether or not it's "worth the reward" for her and her husband. Maybe it is for you, @pearlgirl2017 but everyone judges "worth it" differently.

I knew it was going to come out harsh in this format, and I do not in anyway mean to sound judgemental about her choice of how to continue.  I think it's great that this will be used as a learning experience for future habits.  But I do believe that she, and her husband, and their health are every bit worth the reward.

1 hour ago, SLHorowitz86 said:

My husband and I decided that we are going to stick with 80/20 rule....

So we went to barnes and noble this weekend and grabbed a couple Paleo cook books and the Whole30 cookbook and are eager to stick with our new plan. (seems to work for everyone else in our crossfit family so hopefully we will reap the same benefits)

Hi @SLHorowitz86! I love that you are moving forward with a plan in mind and that you're excited for the new structure. Good for you! If you've never checked out the Well Fed cookbooks, I highly recommend those. Best cookbooks ever, and I'm not exaggerating! Best wishes to you and your hubby in this next chapter. :)

18 minutes ago, pearlgirl2017 said:

I do apologize @SLHorowitz86 for sounding so harsh.  I hope your 80/20 plan works well for you both.  

No need to apologize... i did feel better i felt more energized my clothes are fitting better, etc. and I wanted to do this to help with my PCOS.... but i'd have to commit to whole30 for more than just 30 days to have it get rid of my PCOS. I think that I can do it whilst maintaining a paleolithic diet/whole30 diet but i am not going to not live my life is what i meant by it not being worth the reward. I think that my weight gain was caused by poor eating habits and lack of regular exercise, stress, and a sedentary career. My Whole20 helped me to start focusing more on my eating habits and getting to the gym and focusing on me. 

For instance - last night we went to a friends for her birthday dinner... and while there was tons of food that i knew i would love to eat - mac and cheese, cake, etc. I ate salad and steak - but i didn't fret over whether the salad dressing had sugar in it - especially because i use the tiniest amount of it in the first place , as i am not a huge fan of condiments. 

So I am going to continue as best i can but not worry so much when it comes to being social. Because i feel like stressing over what goes into my mouth isn't a healthy relationship with food either. I don't want food to have a hold on me anymore. 

If this makes any sense...

@SLHorowitz86 I understand the exhaustion with meal prep and wanting to go out to dinner! I am looking forward to having my life back when this is over. I came close to making a similar decision last week--sometimes the stress of meal prepping and worrying about what you are eating can feel counter productive. I actually don't think I will be paleo after this. Which is actually one of things I value about this approach--people are encouraged to find to eating plan that works best for them and ultimately that is not a one size fits all. We have to consider multiple factors when thinking about what maximizes our health and well-being.

I hope you will stay on here and keep up posted about how your are doing! :)

Dani

@SLHorowitz86 I completely understand your "I don't want food to have a hold on me anymore." It gets exhausting worrying about something as small as a few tablespoons of mustard, ketchup, mayo, dressing of any kind or a condiment! I could use Lucky Charms and trisodium phosphate as an example right now. But I will skip that for fear of getting lectured on here :) 

You and your husband deserve a pat on the back for just making it 20 days. There are a lot of people out there that are complaining about their weight and how they feel but won't even give something like the Whole30 a day. The two of you gave it a try, realized it wasn't exactly for you, but are willing to keep going with a healthier lifestyle and that is awesome! So kudos to you! 

Day 23 and I'm still with it. My cooking has gotten simpler than the first week when I made a lot of recipes from the book and failed mayo twice! I don't feel many astounding results, but I do have more energy (I was napping a lot). I thought my skin was clearer but that was cause the temperature went back down. And I'm getting slimmer.

I don't want to do this rigidly forever, especially because I don't want to police the meals that other people prepare for down to the last drop of canola oil or sugar. But I can visualize staying on it for awhile. I haven't been able to decide on anything I'm desperate for on Day 31!

Day 30 is the day before the students come back to school, so let's hope my energy helps make that first exhausting week easier.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, ladymath said:

Day 23 and I'm still with it. My cooking has gotten simpler than the first week when I made a lot of recipes from the book and failed mayo twice! I don't feel many astounding results, but I do have more energy (I was napping a lot). I thought my skin was clearer but that was cause the temperature went back down. And I'm getting slimmer.

I don't want to do this rigidly forever, especially because I don't want to police the meals that other people prepare for down to the last drop of canola oil or sugar. But I can visualize staying on it for awhile. I haven't been able to decide on anything I'm desperate for on Day 31!

Day 30 is the day before the students come back to school, so let's hope my energy helps make that first exhausting week easier.

No one is supposed to stay on it forever... do the reintroductions when you're done and then make your own WholeLadyMath program... if that means that you don't mind that your food has canola oil and sugar but you DO mind if it has say.. .dairy, then that's the perfect lifetime sustainable way of eating for YOU!  That's the goal :)

Day 24 and I love watching that number get higher and higher. I do have to keep reminding myself I have to do a Whole32 but two days during the week is nothing for me. 

My energy is still no good, but it might be because I am up late working from home and not getting the best quality of sleep. 

I need anyone's help right now. My job, like most, carries stress and the last few weeks have been particularly more stressful than usual and today, I have been sent over the edge. All I want is a comfort care to help with this bad day. My usual go to is working out after work, then sitting down with a big glass of wine and some form of junk food from my childhood like pizza bagel bites, pizza rolls, or wavy potato chips and Top the Tator, and watching New Girl until I fall asleep. But I can't, I'm Whole30 driven. Any ideas for some comfort cares I can partake in after my workout? I want to sit down and cry right now, but I am not one who cries, so that is out.

Happy Day 24 All!

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, AndieK said:

Day 24 and I love watching that number get higher and higher. I do have to keep reminding myself I have to do a Whole32 but two days during the week is nothing for me. 

My energy is still no good, but it might be because I am up late working from home and not getting the best quality of sleep. 

I need anyone's help right now. My job, like most, carries stress and the last few weeks have been particularly more stressful than usual and today, I have been sent over the edge. All I want is a comfort care to help with this bad day. My usual go to is working out after work, then sitting down with a big glass of wine and some form of junk food from my childhood like pizza bagel bites, pizza rolls, or wavy potato chips and Top the Tator, and watching New Girl until I fall asleep. But I can't, I'm Whole30 driven. Any ideas for some comfort cares I can partake in after my workout? I want to sit down and cry right now, but I am not one who cries, so that is out.

Happy Day 24 All!

What helps you destress that isn't food? Do you have a hobby you enjoy working on, like art or craft projects, reading, writing? Or maybe something like a bubble bath, some time meditating or doing gentle stretches/yoga? Home spa day -- a masque, a foot soak, mani/pedi? Or call a friend to chat.

Also consider sometimes if you're not sleeping well and you're stressed, is your workout helping, or would you be better served skipping that or scaling it down some in favor of getting more sleep occasionally? Working out is good, obviously, but it is a stressor. Stressors are not necessarily bad, but if you have too many of them at once, they can be bad. (This article talks about stress and recovery.)

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel...these last two days have been so hard. I can't sleep and I feel so lethargic. I have been eating well and drinking tons of water but these last few days have me walking around in a fog. Does anyone have any tips?

23 minutes ago, MonikaDelilah said:

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel...these last two days have been so hard. I can't sleep and I feel so lethargic. I have been eating well and drinking tons of water but these last few days have me walking around in a fog. Does anyone have any tips?

I feel you, I felt the same way last week. I don't know that I have too many tips as it sounds like you are eating and drinking well (I might just say make sure you are getting enough fats) but I can say that when I felt that way it did pass. Hoping yours does too...

Day 26 (Friday) here!  Wow!  And I'm unexpectedly, going away for a week to a town I don't know to a work venue I don't know.   So wish me luck as I am intending to be vigilant and finish strong (I hope!).  

@MonikaDelilah I feel you too.  Am feeling fogged in myself a little and hoping it will pass.  I wondered if it was the winter weather and feeling a little meh.  But I'll check my fats as @Dani Chris  suggested.   This may sound strange but overall I feel very stable and "at home" in myself and I think this is totally  the W30 way of eating.  I like the ideas about eating W30 during the week and easing up for  worth it foods on the weekends.  

Let's do this!  It's one of the best gifts I've ever given myself. :)

Tomorrow would be the last day, BUT, the boyfriend and I made the decision to stop on Saturday. We only had three days left and it wasn't the I'm sure it wasn't the best choice we ever made, but we aren't regretting it. We spent four weeks watching everything we ate, reading every ingredient, spending so much money on groceries and cooking every meal, that on Saturday, after running to our now new favorite market, we realized, three more days isn't a long time but in all reality, in three days we aren't going to lose a lot more weight, in three more days we aren't going to feel much different than we already do, and in three more days, we are going to end up spending a lot more money on groceries. So, instead of running home and me whipping up a lunch that will exhaust me, we decided to go 80/20. We are happy with our decision and to be honest, the boyfriend needed it. He was getting so skinny, it was looking pretty sickly. He is 6" taller than me and was only 10 pounds heavier than me. I'm not very big so use your imagination on that! He took in some carbs over the weekend and he felt much better...so much better. I am going to stick to paleo and remain dairy and gluten free. I am not going to sit and worry anymore about there being a little bit of sugar in my spaghetti sauce or in my salad dressing. I still want to eat right, but the little ingredients that are in certain foods, I will no longer fret about and I will finally be able to enjoy the routines I was used to: breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, and dinner then workout and my post workout shake. And maybe I won't be so hungry all the time. I learned through the Whole30 that my stomach can make some pretty scary sounds, ha.

GOOD LUCK TO THE REST OF YOU!! CONGRATS ON MAKING IT THIS FAR! YOU GUYS ROCK!! WOOT WOOT!!! 

Archived