Your most EPIC Whole30 yet!

msmirnio

Folks,

I keep touting how my second Whole30 (coming January 1st) is going to be super badass because after experiencing my first, I've imagined how I can prepare and really comply the hell out of those 30+ days.

I'd love to hear what you all would do if you could make your next Whole30 ridiculously awesome and incredible!

My list:

1) Make a bunch of condiments beforehand (like Nom Nom Paleo's sriracha), everything in ISWF - especially the BBQ sauce

2) Pre-order ALL of my meats from somewhere grass-fed and awesome like US Wellness meats - and on that note - have the ability to shop at Whole Foods the entire Whole30

3) Take (the appropriate amount and need of) squeaky clean supplements - especially fish oil, Vitamin D3, magnesium and calcium

4) Learn how to crockpot - my fear of this tool is getting the best of me and I know my life will be easier with it

Dream away!

• Moderators

To me, ideal eating involves wilted greens in at least one meal per day. And I don't think there is anything wrong with including greens in every meal. When kale is growing well at my local farm, I often eat kale at every meal. My local farmer once introduced me as Mr. Kale because I eat more than he does. Here is a recipe for what I consider an iconic Tom Denham meal...

http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2012/10/slow-cooker-brisket-with-kale-chard-onions-and-dried-cranberries/

To me, ideal eating involves wilted greens in at least one meal per day. And I don't think there is anything wrong with including greens in every meal. When kale is growing well at my local farm, I often eat kale at every meal. My local farmer once introduced me as Mr. Kale because I eat more than he does. Here is a recipe for what I consider an iconic Tom Denham meal...

http://www.wholelife...ed-cranberries/

Just printed that recipe! Looks fantastic! I plan to do another Whole30 on Jan 1st also and have been thinking of ways to make it even better than the first. I really like the idea to eat greens every day!

One of the things I did during my whole 60 was plan my meals! This is absolutely crucial to me--your mileage may vary. I planned a month's worth at a time. I colour coded the plan by protein source. (Blue for seafood, orange for beef, etc. so you can see how I plan at a glance.) I don't always stick to the plan--I may swith Tuesday with Wednesday or something if I need to. The chart sits on the fridge. Every Sunday, I sit down and look up the veggies I need for the week and go buy them. If you get a CSA, or like to buy whatever looks good at the frmer's market, you could always come home and do up the menus from what you already have, of course.

Two weeks would be plenty--heck, even a week is OK if you aren't used to it. Here's a link to my blog post with the menu plan for November with links to recipes where I found them. I'll be doing the same for December this weekend--hubby is still on the whole 30 until the 18th.

In the beginning, I also planned out my breakfasts and my lunches. Make enough food for leftovers!

http://mypsychemysom...eo-suppers.html

A little planning goes a long way.

You also may want to consider the other side of the Whole30 equation and perhaps plan your January schedule accordingly. Look at ways to ensure proper sleep, proper play/exercise and minimal amounts of stress during the month of January. Get room darkening curtains for your bedroom, sign up for a twice weekly walking date with some friends, ensure that your work schedule is well balanced and manageable, etc.

(and don't use CC's for holiday shopping so that your bill doesn't stress you out come January! ;) )

Agreed, glc1968! I got so caught up with the food part of the whole30, completely neglecting the other 8 parts of it, and ultimately did not finish (only made it to 10 days).

To get the most out of my whole30, when I try again (for now I'm just avoiding dairy, most sugar, and most grains), I plan on:

• Creating a tangible folder for printed recipes, meal plans, shopping lists, and emergency food lists for when I get home late and don't feel like cooking (or for those mornings when I wake up too late to prepare my breakfast)
  • MEDITATING! This is so, so important to me but something I struggle with. I just have to wake up 10 mins early for a 10min meditation in the mornings.
  • Setting aside specific days for yoga, and STICKING with it (I have a commitment problem (or discipline problem?): the second I say "I will do this," I instantly want to rebel against myself.
  • Enjoy myself!!!!!! Don't take this too seriously. I mean, obviously health is important and what you put into your body is important. If I can't laugh, or smile, or have fun, though, then it just won't work (at least for me, because then I go into this body-hating downward spiral, so the opposite of fun).
  • Make mini-meal packs to keep in my purse in case of emergencies. :) Maybe even order some primal pacs.

I think if I can do these things, I will definitely have an epic whole30 experience!

msmirnio: Oh my...I LOVE my crockpot! I use it 2-3 times a week! It provides my lunches and late-night dinners during the week. :)

I just ordered Well Fed. It's been years since I've looked at anything that didn't come out of America's Test Kitchen as a valid recipe, so I look forward to it! I'm doing a Whole30 right now until Dec. 24, then off until Jan. 1 or 2, then start another one. By that time I expect I'll be ready to do meal planning/cooking using the new cookbook.

For me the big goal for my next one is to cook in such a way that, without saying much about it, I entice my children to eat more this way. In other words, just be excited about food.

Exercise is on my list too. And I like the idea of creating a sort of bubble around my life that month, it really feels good.

Excellent thread, great food (haha) for thought!

I just ordered Well Fed. It's been years since I've looked at anything that didn't come out of America's Test Kitchen as a valid recipe, so I look forward to it!

You may be happy to know that Melissa Joulwan (Well Fed author) uses America's Test Kitchen as inspiration for a lot of her cooking/recipes! I love all my paleo cookbooks for different reasons, but Well Fed quickly became my favorite the more I cooked from it. There were many recipes that I was making and thinking "this looks totally wrong...there is no way this is going to work" during the process but I made myself trust the recipe and it came out every time!! The biggest shocker for me was the Chinese BBQ pork recipe but it turned out beautiful...just like the pictures!

I am a firm believer that in order to have a BADASS whole30 (I love that) you need goals.

Not just goals that state how you intend to live during your whole30, but what ultimately are you trying to achieve?

As I explained on a post at another point in time, heading into this without goals is like having someone hand you a map and a list of instructions with about 30 lines. If you get to line 10, and at no point in time you have asked or been told where you are going, it makes it FAR too easy to say "ah to heck with it, this is too hard." Knowing what you would like to achieve makes a big difference, and like GLC1968 states, it makes the journey about so much more than the food.

You may be happy to know that Melissa Joulwan (Well Fed author) uses America's Test Kitchen as inspiration for a lot of her cooking/recipes! I love all my paleo cookbooks for different reasons, but Well Fed quickly became my favorite the more I cooked from it. There were many recipes that I was making and thinking "this looks totally wrong...there is no way this is going to work" during the process but I made myself trust the recipe and it came out every time!! The biggest shocker for me was the Chinese BBQ pork recipe but it turned out beautiful...just like the pictures!

I'm really looking forward to getting it, and even moreso now! I love ATK!

One of the biggest things I like about Well Fed is how she balances her flavors. Hers is the only cookbook where I will use the exact amount of spices in the recipe. If she says a teaspoon of cayenne, then I say a little prayer and throw it in, and it comes out perfectly. There is no other cookbook that I trust like that. Many of them go too heavy on the heat, my kids won't eat it, and then I'm stuck with a huge pot of whatever that only I can eat.

One of the biggest things I like about Well Fed is how she balances her flavors. Hers is the only cookbook where I will use the exact amount of spices in the recipe. If she says a teaspoon of cayenne, then I say a little prayer and throw it in, and it comes out perfectly. There is no other cookbook that I trust like that. Many of them go too heavy on the heat, my kids won't eat it, and then I'm stuck with a huge pot of whatever that only I can eat.

This is very good to know. I have one kid who will try anything, and another who won't look at most actual food. Going beyond pasta is a huuuuge stretch in this household.

Tom, I think you might need a shirt from this guy in Vermont. I met him at the farmer's market there years ago. I still get stopped when I am out running while wearing this shirt as people ask me"What is kale??"

http://eatmorekale.com/

http://www.wholelife...ed-cranberries/

• 3 weeks later...

Here's to a badass whole30! I think having a paleo sriracha recipe just sealed the deal for me. I couldn't believe it when I first realized that my beloved wasn't paleo. So now I am even more excited about starting.

So armed with my sauce. I already have a freezer full of beautiful grassfed beef. I plan to make a lot of soup-in my crock pot-

Chicken Not-tilla loaded w/spinach & avocado, bacon jalapeno squash my fav, taco, etc.

Will also be starting in Jan.

batmomm2000 you're right! I still haven't bucked up to try the real recipe while off-roading (something about paying over $10 for compliant fish sauce bother's me but I fully plan on sucking it up) - I might ask hers truly for a Whole30-compliant variation tip :)

I would....

Have a freezer full of local grass fed and pastured meat.

Run every morning.

Meditate every evening.

Take excellent vitamins

Buy a dishwasher. I feel very limited by the lack of one with my busy life. I'm hoping to buy one before the end of January.

Buy a food processor. This is the other thing that I feel gets in my way of accomplishing things and being prepared. It's also the other thing I'm hoping to buy before the end of January:)

Archived