When Will I Have Normal Poop!?

Hi all,

I've reached a point where I'm no longer embarrassed and just want answers. I haven't had a solid BM since I started January Whole30 (I'm on Day 17.) I've just had diarrhea constantly. Am I dehydrated? Do I need to incorporate a probiotic into my diet? More leafy greens?

Please help a sister. Thank you!

Straight up diarrhea? Or loose stools? Sticky? (sorry, i'm a healthcare practitioner, so I talk about poop a lot :) )

Definitely add in more water - maybe get "smart water" and drink that to make sure you're getting enough electrolytes. Is there a change in other bowel habits? Meaning - are you still going 1x, 2x (whatever was normal before) a day, but when you go it's diarrhea, or are you having urgent BMs, basically the runs for the last 17 days (and if so, please go to a dr!!). A probiotic can't hurt and is worth giving a shot. Are you taking any of supplements?

Posting your meals would help, but maybe your body is having trouble with additional fiber - make sure not to eat raw vegetables and focus on cooked foods. Cut out nuts or nut butters, those can give lots of people problems. How many starches are you eating a day - make sure you're getting at least 1 fist sized portion of starch (potato, sweet potato, other root veggie, winter squash) a day. Even though it's more sugar than starch, eating a banana with lunch might help tighten up your stools. 

Let us know what you've been eating and maybe we can help your narrow it down! 

I've had this same problem. I'm on day 9 and I've had loose stools since I started. 

Here is how I eat:

Here is how my typical day looks:

1. Morning I prefer to fast. I have hot water with 1/2 lemon and espresso. I sip green tea as well as drinking a lot of water.

2. Lunch: 
4-6 oz of shrimp or chicken or 3 eggs mixed with 1T primal kitchen avocado oil mayo
2-3 cups sauteed kale and boc choy
Chopped celery, cucumber and red pepper
1T olive oil
1/2 avocado
1 cup chicken bone broth

3. Dinner:
6 oz salmon
1/2 avocado
1T olive oil
2-3 cups sauteed kale, boc choy
1 cup roasted kabocha squash
1 cup bone broth

Why the loose stools???

Any help is much appreciated.

@mandelovich I'm sure a mod will be along soon to help, but FWIW- your breakfast plan may be contributing to the prob.  I've never had digestion problems, but that non-meal would be very tough on even my stomach.  It seems like a lot of caffeine on an empty stomach that could really effect digestion.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, mandelovich said:

I've had this same problem. I'm on day 9 and I've had loose stools since I started. 

Here is how I eat:

Here is how my typical day looks:

1. Morning I prefer to fast. I have hot water with 1/2 lemon and espresso. I sip green tea as well as drinking a lot of water.

2. Lunch: 
4-6 oz of shrimp or chicken or 3 eggs mixed with 1T primal kitchen avocado oil mayo
2-3 cups sauteed kale and boc choy
Chopped celery, cucumber and red pepper
1T olive oil
1/2 avocado
1 cup chicken bone brother

3. Dinner:
6 oz salmon
1/2 avocado
1T olive oil
2-3 cups sauteed kale, boc choy
1 cup roasted kabocha squash
1 cup bone broth

Why the loose stools???

Any help is much appreciated.

I've removed your other identical post because it's not fair to the members or mods trying to help when people are responding in two places to your same question.

What is your reason for fasting?  The Whole30 recommends eating a template meal within an hour of waking in order to help balance your hormones.

How much is 4-6 oz of chicken or shrimp when matched to your palm size? We don't really use oz here so I have no idea what that equals in actual food.

Your other meals actually look good so it could be that you're going through detox... you could try taking out the avocado and substituting it for a different plated fat and see if that helps.

Thank you and sorry for the identical post. I appreciate the help.

I've always fasted, I prefer it. I have more energy in the morning when I don't eat breakfast. And I've never had these digestive issues.

The biggest change to my diet is that I've increased my fat and have bone broth which I didn't have before.

4-6 oz is one palm of protein - a nice sized piece of salmon or 3 eggs or nice sized piece of grilled chicken or a bunch of shrimp.

Archived