Day 19 - More Gas/Bloating/Constipation Than Off-W30

audeich

Hello, sorry to bring up the grossest part of our W30's, but I've got to ask. I'm Day 19, my energy feels good, by body feels good, my skin is clear, all those things are happening! I think I've got Tiger Blood! However, not Tiger-Tummy.

I'm on Day 19, and I still deal with low appetite, gas, bloating, and constipation. I deal with gas/bloating before W30, but am never really constipated. I have been eating beautiful W30 meals, sometimes lack an appetite just cause of the effort that has to go into them, but I really want to get to the bottom of my digestive issues. I have no idea!

Any help or input?

Thanks!

Hey there, happy to. So:

Breakfasts:

1) 3 eggs with ghee, tomatoes or peppers, sausage and/or bacon, maybe some fruit

2) Roasted sweet potatoes, with almond butter and banana, maybe some bacon

3) Coffee with nutpods

Lunches:

1) Big salad with hard boiled egg, roasted potatoes, carmelized onions, homemade cilantro lemon vinagrette, avocado, etc.

2) Leftovers: Spaghetti squash bolognese, add ghee or coconut oil for more fat

3) Leftovers: Waldorf Chicken Salad (grapes, chicken, red onion, celery, with mayo lemon, etc.)

4) Leftovers: Cauliflower fried Rice, with carrots, green beans, onions, coconut aminos, seasoning

Dinners: Any of the Lunch items as well OR:

1) Roasted chicken with mushrooms, Brussels and bacon

2) Seared tuna steak with kale salad, sauteed snap peas, coconut aminos and seasoning as dressing

3) Buffalo chicken meatballs and cauliflower mashed potatoes

4) Steak and veggies, potatoes

5) Homemade carnitas with guac and salsa in lettuce cups

Snacks (I usually get hungry about an hour after I eat so I'm definitely a snacker):

1) nuts and fruit

2) almond butter and fruit

3) carrots and homemade ranch

3) RX Bars or meat sticks, or approved jerky

My only thought could be I'm not leaving enough time between meals? Or I'm eating too fast? Or my snacking and grazing is messing me up? I don't think I could make my meals any larger, I definitely eat a lot, and add fats, and am not afraid of carbs (At all!). Any help is appreciated, I just want a quiet tummy! I definitely get hungry a lot! But I don't think i need to eat less either, i feel like i dont want to lose anymore weight really.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, audeich said:

Hey there, happy to. So:

Breakfasts:

1) 3 eggs with ghee, tomatoes or peppers, sausage and/or bacon, maybe some fruit

2) Roasted sweet potatoes, with almond butter and banana, maybe some bacon

3) Coffee with nutpods

Lunches:

1) Big salad with hard boiled egg, roasted potatoes, carmelized onions, homemade cilantro lemon vinagrette, avocado, etc.

2) Leftovers: Spaghetti squash bolognese, add ghee or coconut oil for more fat

3) Leftovers: Waldorf Chicken Salad (grapes, chicken, red onion, celery, with mayo lemon, etc.)

4) Leftovers: Cauliflower fried Rice, with carrots, green beans, onions, coconut aminos, seasoning

Dinners: Any of the Lunch items as well OR:

1) Roasted chicken with mushrooms, Brussels and bacon

2) Seared tuna steak with kale salad, sauteed snap peas, coconut aminos and seasoning as dressing

3) Buffalo chicken meatballs and cauliflower mashed potatoes

4) Steak and veggies, potatoes

5) Homemade carnitas with guac and salsa in lettuce cups

Snacks (I usually get hungry about an hour after I eat so I'm definitely a snacker):

1) nuts and fruit

2) almond butter and fruit

3) carrots and homemade ranch

3) RX Bars or meat sticks, or approved jerky

My only thought could be I'm not leaving enough time between meals? Or I'm eating too fast? Or my snacking and grazing is messing me up? I don't think I could make my meals any larger, I definitely eat a lot, and add fats, and am not afraid of carbs (At all!). Any help is appreciated, I just want a quiet tummy! I definitely get hungry a lot! But I don't think i need to eat less either, i feel like i dont want to lose anymore weight really.

Thank you!

You mentioned that you add fats, but there are only a few listed in your example meals! What kinds of plated fat are you adding to your meals? Make sure you're having a serving or two at every meal. If you're hungry an hour after eating you're definitely not eating enough and probably need more fat/protein! Not sure if that will help with the gas and bloating, but if you're not hungry you won't be snacking on nuts or nut butters (which can cause bloating if you eat too much!).

Day 7. Second round of W30.  The first time I did W30 I had no gas or constipation issues. Now, that's all I've been dealing with.  Eating W30 delicious meals. Plenty of veggies of every kind and color, fruits, including apples and berries. Detox tea at night. Kombucha during the day, probiotics first thing when I wake up.....tons of water....I cook with Ghee ,Coconut oil, and olive oil. RX bars and Epic Bars occasionally for quick snacks. I don't know what else to do.  I would love some help or suggestions!  

:mellow:

Hi, 

I am so glad someone posted this question. I am in the SAME boat!

I'm on day 16 of my first Whole30. I've often struggled with constipation which I had attributed to gluten intolerance.

However, I now wonder... Maybe I'm in the "it gets worse before it gets better" phase. 

I take a pro-biotic and magnesium supplement, and I've been following the meal plan suggestions pretty closely:

• sweet potato hash browns with 2 fried eggs and half an avocado for breakfast
  • Pork carnitas on lettuce with some sliced tomatoes (and maybe the other half of the avocado) for lunch,
  • mid afternoon snack of apple with cinnamon sprinkle (sometimes with some almond butter)
  • and burger (beef or turkey) with ranch and fresh or roasted veggies for dinner.

I've even supplemented with some prunes, and I LOVE my black coffee.

I started to feel overloaded by the eggs and meat, so I went a few egg-free days and only had a small portion of meat at ONE meal. 

Starting to feel much better :)

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Risa_Castro said:

Can we take a laxative while on this program? Or is that not allowed? 

We would strongly recommend against that... you can try magnesium (natural calm unsweetened is compliant) as well as lots of water but you're an adult so if you feel you need to take something like that to help you then that's a decision you make.

@SugarcubeOD Thank you for your advice - I did not take a laxative and it's now been 4 days and I'm still pretty miserable.  I am trying to incorporate more veggies into my diet, I have been incorporating more fat as was suggested and I am just not too sure what to do at this point.  I am also on Day 29 so I'm a little concerned as to how to go about the re-introduction phase when I'm NOT too happy at the moment (constipated, gassy, bloaty).  Any suggestions??  I was actually thinking that it might help me get back to being able to go re-introducing old foods that I used to eat but I don't know.

I also wanted to re-introduce a glass of wine or gluten-free beer on day 31 (nothing else off the Whole 30 diet) - and I'm worried about the wine containing sulfites or the GF beer not being completely GF.  Any thoughts about this?

I then intend to eat Whole 30 until Saturday morning when I will introduce Legumes.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Risa_Castro said:

@SugarcubeOD Thank you for your advice - I did not take a laxative and it's now been 4 days and I'm still pretty miserable.  I am trying to incorporate more veggies into my diet, I have been incorporating more fat as was suggested and I am just not too sure what to do at this point.  I am also on Day 29 so I'm a little concerned as to how to go about the re-introduction phase when I'm NOT too happy at the moment (constipated, gassy, bloaty).  Any suggestions??  I was actually thinking that it might help me get back to being able to go re-introducing old foods that I used to eat but I don't know.

I also wanted to re-introduce a glass of wine or gluten-free beer on day 31 (nothing else off the Whole 30 diet) - and I'm worried about the wine containing sulfites or the GF beer not being completely GF.  Any thoughts about this?

I then intend to eat Whole 30 until Saturday morning when I will introduce Legumes.

I would go ahead and take something at this point for the consitpation... did you try the Natural Calm or another magnesium supplement?

As far as sulphites in the wine, that's part of what you're testing... whether or not the wine bothers you.  I dont' have any thoughts on whether a beer marketed as Gluten Free is completely gluten free... I suppose you either have to trust the brewery or call them and ask.

@purplepadres thank you for the tip - I will definitely look into it the next time this problem arrives.

@SugarcubeOD I ended up incorporating a bunch more fiber in my diet last night and finally got some good relief.  Just hoping that it keeps up!  And with my stomach being so weird I'm not sure I want to re-introduce anything until it's back to normal.  I thought the re-introduction of wine was to test how "alcohol" affects you - not sulfites?  That is why I was struggling with the decision but I will most likely have a glass of wine and wait to introduce beer (gluten free or not) until I am fully done with all the reintroductions.

Thank you both for the help & tips!

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am actually on day 27, but this is the most recent forum I can find on bloating/constipation.

Background:

I am 58 yr (F), fairly fit, 135 lbs (at start) with ongoing digestive issues.  I actually had a sigmoid resection (which did not help), but discovered food as a source of some improvement.  I did Paleo 4 years ago and had fairly good results.  Unfortunately, naming things GF became my problem and "decided" I could eat things as long as they were GF....well, we all know how that goes...rice, sugar, more sugar, blah blah blah.  I do not do formal exercise, (never have in my life), but I move...all day..i cook, clean, laundry, clean some more and play with my dogs, lol.  I think it would be said that I am energetic and do not look my age.  I have several arthritic diseases, but have (seriously) found substantial relief with a high dose vitamin c regimin...changed my life.

I started this with the intention of permanently healing my gut..once & for all.

The bloating has been constant since day ONE.  (From pubic bone to breastbone, very large).

Day 1 - 9:   I believed I was compliant...then realized that I wasn't eating breakfast and was snacking on lots of fruits & nuts.  So, I did fix that.

Day 13:   Eliminated nightshades

Day 16:   Eliminated FODMAPS, all fruit, all nuts, shredded coconut & coconut milk.

Day  19:  Eliminated eggs (including home made mayo)

Day 21:   Added magnesium glycinate (Pure Encapsulations  120mg  ingredients:  magnesium (as magnesium glycinat 120mg/other:  ascorbyl palmitate/cellulose/water.)

By the way - making all these changes due to...constipated / severe bloating / headaches / extreme fatigue / skin breakouts (which I have not had since my twenties) / disrupted sleep.. (bloating everyday, ALL day, as in - never went down or fluctuated).

Day 24:   Eliminated bone broth & green olives (histamines?)

Day 26:   I could not take the bloating and constipation, so I did a "Vitamin C Flush"   https://beyondhealth.com/media/wysiwyg/kadro/articles/vitc-flush.pdf     I have done this several times in the past - which is why I chose it.  It took 14 doses (30g) to finally get the required result....THANKFULLY...

Day 27:   Woke up with 1/2 bloating gone.  (Flush did that if you get my drift.)    Decided to RE-INTRODUCE eggs today...

Breakfast:   2 pasture raised (local) eggs, sauteed spinach (3 cups) fried in EVOO.  Black coffee with coconut oil & ghee.  Big 'gulp' of evoo for fat.

Lunch:    pan fried steak in evoo / 3 cups spiralized zucchini steamed / big gulp of evoo for fat.

Bloating has begun already.... sigh....

I am not giving up...  I will continue this until I can figure it out... but I am literally down to the following foods:

Protein:   chicken / beef / turkey

Veggies:  (COOKED)  spinach / zucchini / carrots / green beans / green onions (green part only) / sweet potato (sparingly).

Fats:  evoo / coconut oil / ghee / black olives.  (I am literally DRINKING the evoo because there doesn't seem to be anything that doesn't fall under, foodmaps, histamine, etc).

Water:   70 - 100 ounces per day, room temperature.

One cup of black coffee (with coconut oil & ghee).

Any ideas, suggestions, recommendations, etc.... I am open to.

Thank you all for listening.  I appreciate any thoughts.

Smrty

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Smrtygirl said:

Hello,

I am actually on day 27, but this is the most recent forum I can find on bloating/constipation.

Background:

I am 58 yr (F), fairly fit, 135 lbs (at start) with ongoing digestive issues.  I actually had a sigmoid resection (which did not help), but discovered food as a source of some improvement.  I did Paleo 4 years ago and had fairly good results.  Unfortunately, naming things GF became my problem and "decided" I could eat things as long as they were GF....well, we all know how that goes...rice, sugar, more sugar, blah blah blah.  I do not do formal exercise, (never have in my life), but I move...all day..i cook, clean, laundry, clean some more and play with my dogs, lol.  I think it would be said that I am energetic and do not look my age.  I have several arthritic diseases, but have (seriously) found substantial relief with a high dose vitamin c regimin...changed my life.

I started this with the intention of permanently healing my gut..once & for all.

The bloating has been constant since day ONE.  (From pubic bone to breastbone, very large).

Day 1 - 9:   I believed I was compliant...then realized that I wasn't eating breakfast and was snacking on lots of fruits & nuts.  So, I did fix that.

Day 13:   Eliminated nightshades

Day 16:   Eliminated FODMAPS, all fruit, all nuts, shredded coconut & coconut milk.

Day  19:  Eliminated eggs (including home made mayo)

Day 21:   Added magnesium glycinate (Pure Encapsulations  120mg  ingredients:  magnesium (as magnesium glycinat 120mg/other:  ascorbyl palmitate/cellulose/water.)

By the way - making all these changes due to...constipated / severe bloating / headaches / extreme fatigue / skin breakouts (which I have not had since my twenties) / disrupted sleep.. (bloating everyday, ALL day, as in - never went down or fluctuated).

Day 24:   Eliminated bone broth & green olives (histamines?)

Day 26:   I could not take the bloating and constipation, so I did a "Vitamin C Flush"   https://beyondhealth.com/media/wysiwyg/kadro/articles/vitc-flush.pdf     I have done this several times in the past - which is why I chose it.  It took 14 doses (30g) to finally get the required result....THANKFULLY...

Day 27:   Woke up with 1/2 bloating gone.  (Flush did that if you get my drift.)    Decided to RE-INTRODUCE eggs today...

Breakfast:   2 pasture raised (local) eggs, sauteed spinach (3 cups) fried in EVOO.  Black coffee with coconut oil & ghee.  Big 'gulp' of evoo for fat.

Lunch:    pan fried steak in evoo / 3 cups spiralized zucchini steamed / big gulp of evoo for fat.

Bloating has begun already.... sigh....

I am not giving up...  I will continue this until I can figure it out... but I am literally down to the following foods:

Protein:   chicken / beef / turkey

Veggies:  (COOKED)  spinach / zucchini / carrots / green beans / green onions (green part only) / sweet potato (sparingly).

Fats:  evoo / coconut oil / ghee / black olives.  (I am literally DRINKING the evoo because there doesn't seem to be anything that doesn't fall under, foodmaps, histamine, etc).

Water:   70 - 100 ounces per day, room temperature.

One cup of black coffee (with coconut oil & ghee).

Any ideas, suggestions, recommendations, etc.... I am open to.

Thank you all for listening.  I appreciate any thoughts.

Smrty

Please do not copy and paste across threads as per forum rules.  The thread that you first posted this on is being answered and having it in two places makes more work for the volunteer moderators and members who might want to help.  I already combined two of your posts into the thread you first commented in a few days ago. 

Archived