Derval's W30 #5

Derval

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fyi Americans, grilling over here is what you call broiling!

Good to know. What do you call what we call grilling? (Typically on on a grate over a fire outside, but sometimes inside with a special pan.)

Oh, no, Clothes Make the Girl is going over to the Sous Vide side too (along with NomNom Paleo)?!

I hope I'm not going to regret buying a pressure cooker and a blendtec blender instead of springing for a sous vide!

I am so thinking about getting a sous vide. Was shopping online last night but not ready to take the plunge. Anyone know of recommendations?

I actually started on the sous vide track when looking for a good way to pasteurize my eggs for mayo. (I'm mainly concerned about serving raw egg mayo to my 16-month-old grandson and potential-childbearing daughter-in-law.)

Derval, apologies for taking your log off-topic. You are inspiring lively conversation.

Oh SG do you not watch Masterchef??! Sous vide is a temperate controlled water bath. You vacuum seal the protein first and it gets a long slow cook. The machines cost hundreds!

I only watched the Irish Masterchef with Dylan and Nick and I don't think any of the contestants ever used one! :ph34r:

I only watched the Irish Masterchef with Dylan and Nick and I don't think any of the contestants ever used one! :ph34r:

Nah you're right there, they're mad for it on uk show esp the professional one.

Ps those sun maid raisins will be my downfall!

Nah you're right there, they're mad for it on uk show esp the professional one.

Ps those sun maid raisins will be my downfall!

I don't know how sous-vide came in to it at all.

'Tis far from sous-vide I was reared ;)

If anyone wants to gift me one I shan't refuse though.

There was a link a few posts up, that led to a Moroccan beef dish that Clothes Make the Girl was cooking in a sous vide for a contest.

Costco will sometimes have a sous vide on sale. But I haven't used one and can't make recommendations.

I am going to my favorite restaurant, Beast, on Friday. She usually has one sous vide lamb dish. I've been curious about it so maybe I will try it. She sous vides and then crisps it over charcoal and wood fire. I'll let you guys know how it is.

I am going to my favorite restaurant, Beast, on Friday. She usually has one sous vide lamb dish. I've been curious about it so maybe I will try it. She sous vides and then crisps it over charcoal and wood fire. I'll let you guys know how it is.

Hey SLW - I am planning my hubby's BD dinner and Beast is one of the options on the list! Any other suggestions? (sorry for the hijack Derval)

I bought the book The Mighty Gastropolis Portland and there are so many great looking places: Navarre, Le Pigeon, EVOE... That is as far as I have gotten in the book! (I'll have to call to be sure these places are still open and make a reservation) Hubby was a chef for many years so he appreciates good (not fancy) meat & veggies.

I lived in Portland looong ago for about six months. I didn't get out often, because I was working so much. But we did go to this place once with oyster shooters...they'd shout out the orders? I know it is probably not compliant, but I also visited a place called Humdingers? Or maybe they just served the humdinger there (burger with a fried egg - so delicious!)

Archived