January 2021 graduates

Rebecca001

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the book may suggest this, but I basically continue with Whole30 meals, and then add reintro foods to them. Here is my general plan for the reintros. These are the ingredients I plan on adding to my W30 meals on each reintro day:

LEGUMES: apple w/peanut butter with breakfast, peppers dipped in hummus with lunch, maybe some other bean dip with dinner? I started to look up dinner recipes that included tofu or black beans for dinner, but then I remembered that I've never been a huge fan of beans. Don't reintro something that you don't even like!

NON-GLUTEN GRAINS: quinoa and veggies for breakfast (still working this one out), corn in my lunch salad, white rice with dinner

DAIRY: Heavy cream in my coffee, plain yogurt with lunch, maybe cottage cheese at some point in the day. Not a huge fan of dairy...

GLUTEN GRAINS: Ezekiel bread with breakfast, whole-grain crackers with lunch (maybe with some kind of tuna salad for dipping?), whole-wheat pasta with dinner

Looking at this list, I think it actually mirrors the book pretty closely, so it's probably not all that helpful! Since I want to stick to a mostly W30 diet moving forward, I want to keep working on my W30 meal prep/skills as I reintro non-W30 foods. No need to reinvent the wheel, ya know?

We made it!!!! Day 31 today! 

I don’t want the bubble to burst so I didn’t weigh myself this morning, I’m going to keep going til 5 weeks (so Friday morning) and then see where I am! I have no plans to reintroduce anything although I may make myself a date/apple/ground almond ‘pudding’ for this evening as a sweet treat and see where that takes me. I feel the tiger blood arrived late for me this time (round 1 I was bouncing off the walls by day 10) so I feel there’s a little more in the tank before I reintroduce anything (if I even do) 

I suppose there’s 2 (or more) types of W30’er - those who are specifically trying to solve a particular ailment (eg my mum who had fibromyalgia, she found dairy and grains are no-no and also tomato, but had introduced everything else) or those who actually use this as a gateway to a completely clean, paleo lifestyle? I guess I’m more the 2nd type really. It’s now over 6 months since I ate grain, soy, dairy or sugar (except 2 chocs on Xmas day!) and it’s just life now. 

Last time however, I gradually changed my behaviours and gradually ate more compliant treats and snacks, so this time I’m going to try to retain my focus a bit longer. 

The completion of W30#4 for me has been an interesting experience. The first 3 were all within 9 months of each other and the lifestyle was great! I learned that I am extremely sensitive to sugar and alcohol and that dairy causes me gastric distress. Hubs discovered gluten intolerance and issues with dairy.  I have stayed away from legumes (including soy) even though their reintroduction wasn't overly problematic but they did give me gas and bloating. Lots of good learning. I got back down to a healthy weight and was feeling great. Then my mom got sick and there was SO much stuff that happened around that - not going to get into it but it was a dietary free-for-all that immediately transitioning into covid life after her death did not help in any way.

I wasn't expecting any new discoveries with this W30 but there have been a few. This has been more instructive around food-related behaviours and very much instructive around food and mood. SO, even though my plan was to have wine today and move to a modified W30 (including some SWYPOs) I have, instead decided today to do another full W30. I want to really be sure than this mood/food connection is valid and not simply because I was excited to be in control for 30 days so... nothing to report here... :)

I'll be following along with everyone as they transition back to post-W30 eating. 

This is all about self-experimentation, so whatever path you choose on Day 31 is up to you! Sounds like you guys are making wise choices.

I'm doing legumes today, and had peanut butter on an apple with breakfast and bell peppers/hummus with lunch. I felt more full than usual after each meal. Makes sense for breakfast, since I added that apple/PB combo to my usual breakfast, so it was more food than I'm used to. For lunch, though, I only had a few tablespoons of hummus, so I can't imagine the volume of food is the "culprit." Kind of interesting. No other side effects so far.

think I made the right decision to go through the reintroductions. There is definitely room for improvement by sticking to W30, but I feel like if I reintroduce once a week, I'll still get the W30 benefits (for the most part). In the end I'm just too curious about the reintros this time around to resist!

It felt weird today being no longer ‘on the w30’  but nothing else different! I was in work for 8am so I took a box of veg sticks with me and a mini sachet of cashew nuts, but was really hungry by 2 when I got home (not surprised by that!). I had a big chunk of cold chicken and salad but I was almost frantically hungry once I started eating, I couldn’t think straight! 
For dinner tonight we have fish cooked in foil with loads of veg, one of my favourite easy weeknight meals. 

How has everyone’s day been? Any reintroduction woes? 

I kept going with no reintros. I did weigh myself on Sunday and was a bit disappointed, so it confirms getting on the scale can be demotivating. Definitely no booze after that! I am not  much of a fruit eater, but I did eat some over the last 2 weeks and I think that impacted my lack of weight loss. So my focus this month is to not eat fruit, unless it is an ingredient or flavor enhancer to a recipe and cut down on the nuts and snacking between meals. We are getting a lot of snow today maybe over a foot! I have plenty of leftover Well Fed pork carnitas and I’m going to make the Well Fed Eggplant Strata - the recipe says it’s better the next day, let’s see if I can leave it untouched overnight! 

Happy February, everyone! One month closer to Spring. I feel abnormally full this morning (and really tired). I don't think I can blame it on the legume reintro yesterday, though. I had peanut butter and hummus (regular servings of both), and skipped the planned bean dip since I didn't actually want it. I did have a pretty filling/fatty dinner last night, so maybe that's the cause? Nom Nom "Weeknight Meatballs" over zoodles sautéed in olive oil with avocado and a bit of W30 Caesar dressing. 

As for the legumes, my conclusion so far is that they shouldn't pose much of a problem if I come across them in the future and decide to indulge, but they won't be a regular part of my diet. I can see myself saying "yes" to a delicious-looking hummus at a fancy/ethnic restaurant, but if I'm gonna dip my veggies in something at home, I'd much rather use guacamole.

Next up is sugar on Wednesday (not a lot - just sugar/honey in my coffee/tea and maple chicken sausages for dinner), then wine on Saturday. My plan is to buy one semi-expensive bottle of wine to drink with dinner, and share it with my husband. I'd love for half a bottle on Saturdays to be the norm for my "regular life" alcohol consumption. The trick is not to move on to other alcoholic beverages after it's gone...

@Rebecca001I'm not surprised you were ravenous, either! That is not a lot of food. Nice work NOT breaking down and eating something off-plan while you were at work.

@christine19The scale can definitely be demotivating. Stay focused on your NSVs! Are you going to stay off it for February, as well? I got on this morning since I want to see what happens to my weight during reintros, and the 1.5 lb gain made me grumpy. That hunk of metal and plastic has way too much influence over me. After it's all said and done, I'm going to limit myself to weighing once a week on Fridays.

@becs if you want hummus but not chickpeas, you can make a dip with just tahini and lemon juice, loosen it up with a bit of water and you can either dip veggies into it or drizzle it on eg chicken, salmon or cooked veg. You’d never know it wasn’t real hummus. You can also add it to mayo in equal quantities and use it that way; I made a sort of coleslaw with it a few weeks ago which was really delicious. Which also reminds me I was going to do a potato salad with it too and forgot! 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, christine19 said:

Well Fed Eggplant Strata - the recipe says it’s better the next day, let’s see if I can leave it untouched overnight! 

It 'gets better' the next day (and the third day is amazing) but it's still darn good straight out of the oven the day you make it! I modified the recipe for time... If I can remember, I don't do the cooking of the tomato stuff and then wait around for it to cool before mixing the egg in... I just reduce the tomato stuff by a bit... I've done it both ways and honestly I'm not sure there's a huge difference gained for dirtying another dish and the extra time it takes... 

17 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

It 'gets better' the next day (and the third day is amazing) but it's still darn good straight out of the oven the day you make it! I modified the recipe for time... If I can remember, I don't do the cooking of the tomato stuff and then wait around for it to cool before mixing the egg in.

There’s no way I won’t eat it some time today but trying to save it for later! That’s a good tip to not cook the tomatoes. I used a combo of chicken and pork and dried basil instead of fresh. But I used fresh parsley! It’s really the closest thing to eggplant parmigiana without the cheese!

5 hours ago, becs said:
5 hours ago, becs said:

Are you going to stay off it for February, as well? I got on this morning since I want to see what happens to my weight during reintros, and the 1.5 lb gain made me grumpy. That hunk of metal and plastic has way too much influence over me.

@becs I think I will try to stay off the scale until mid-month. I have a doctor appt on the 25th which will be virtual but I’ll probably weigh in for that. I feel like the next 2 weeks should bring more results and NSVs...30 days is not enough for me...need to stay on the course! 

So - here I am Day 32 of W30 - and, on one hand it's perfectly easy and almost natural to be carrying on but, on the other, it's a bit boring too. Feels like Day 22 all over again :( So, I wandered over to see what you guys were up to! Looks like I have a must try eggplant dish on my horizon. I can't blame my W30 meh's on lack of interesting food - we eat amazing meals - tonight's beef curry on sweet potato oven fried cubes was delicious. So - it's not boring meals - maybe a bit of S.A.D. percolating up despite being quiet in January? I'll have to see what the ground hog says tomorrow - maybe that'll lift me up a bit.

@becs sounds like another reintro of legumes might be in order? I had to give them up straight away for the bloating and fatigue I experienced from eating them. It wasn't as bad a reaction like I had reintroducing wine and sugar was but it was pretty clear that they were having an impact. 

@christine19 Ugh - I hate the scale - it's such a beast. I have managed to stay off of it since the post-W30 weigh in after my first W30. I don't know why I suddenly realized I didn't want to weigh myself any longer even though I had lost 11lbs and was feeling right chuffed. Maybe that was it right there - my mood elevated by a number. Anyway - good luck with the struggle - it is a real one.

@SugarcubeOD You're almost done - what's your post W30 plan this time around?

And thanks @Rebecca001 - the 7 veg/ 3 fruit (total incl use in cooking) challenge is a good one for me. I'll get my 50 veg a week in and limint my fruit intake. This gives me something to focus on while I stay the course with W60.

Keep working hard and keep posting!

I have a love hate relationship with my scales. I lost 40+ lbs a few years ago and then have kept it off through basically very rigidly controlling carbs and running a lot. I then lost 11lbs doing my first W30 and that freedom from the scales was incredible both during the 30 days but also for a long time afterwards. This w30 I’m not sure I have lost any weight which I think is why I’m reluctant to find out! The stupid thing is, I am pretty much ‘at target’ now and have been for a long time and my weight is a fairly static, and to manage to maintain this without ‘dieting’ at all and eating so well is incredible. But the scales always call to me and because my natural weight is just slightly over 10 st, I’m always chasing those last 2/3 “vanity pounds” to take me into the 9’s... I would love to get rid of my scales and be free! 

The scale really is a challenge because not getting on it also allowed me to gain more weight than I knew years ago. Don’t look, don’t deal with it! Sure buying bigger clothes was a sign, 4 years ago I was at my heaviest and lost 40 lbs. that’s when I cut out the dairy and wheat. But I’ve gained back half and keep struggling with those last 15-20 pounds. The GF grains and sugar that I could seem to eat before is increasingly problematic. And getting older makes it harder. 

I feel good today, got my workout in shoveling snow early this morning. I also made a pile of zucchini noodles that are sweating until later. I’ll try the 50 veg/ week too @Rebecca001 and @Lorna from Canada

23 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

if you want hummus but not chickpeas, you can make a dip with just tahini and lemon juice, loosen it up with a bit of water and you can either dip veggies

I have a great recipe for Lemon Garlic Tahini Sauce. I’m going to make more this week since I bought baby carrots in an attempt to crunch on something instead of nuts! Whole30 approved...I may have shared this before on our previous thread but here it is!

https://www.wholesomeyum.com/tahini-sauce-recipe/

I’ve had a really good day today. I’ve really focussed on protein and veg, 3 meals, pre-run snack,  and lots of water. Our dinner was chilli stuffed peppers, with salad. I’ve ordered the Well Fed cookbook which someone mentioned on here the other day so hopefully I’ll have done new recipes to try next week. 

@christine19 thanks for the tahini recipe. Sauces/dips/dressings are one thing I’m not very good at, I am definitely open to any suggestions if you have any to recommend. 

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Lorna from Canada said:

@SugarcubeOD You're almost done - what's your post W30 plan this time around

Thanks for remembering ;) 

I have the rules of a WholeDarcy written up. I've done reintros plenty of times to know what works and doesn't work and just needed a kick in the butt to get back on track! 

Here's my plan which will be revisted in 30 days

WHOLEDARCY

Do not eat Dairy with the exception of using Butter to cook with/grease with

Do not eat grains (with the exception of corn starch to thicken/crisp) (Rice is a grain… get away for now!)

Do not eat any form of legumes with the exception of green beans and peanut butter on things (good luck because there’s nothing to eat the peanut butter ON)

Do not consume carrageenan, MSG or sulfites – stick to whole foods

Do not consume baked goods or junk food

Do not consume sugar – exceptions include mayo, soda stream syrup, things sweetened like cranberries, pickles. If it’s a thing that has sugar in it because it’s supposed to be sweet, then no.

Do follow the Whole30 meal template for meal composition

Do eat 2-3 meals a day depending on hunger levels and activity. Ensure one of those meals is Breakfast

3 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

peanut butter on things (good luck because there’s nothing to eat the peanut butter ON)

Dare I mention apples??? Granny Smith with PB are my fav! I'm off legumes though and almond butter isn't quite as yummy for me so it's easier to manage.

Those are some good looking rules. I think I am going to make some WHOLELORNA ones too!

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, Lorna from Canada said:

Dare I mention apples

Haha!  Good one... I'm allergic :( 

Will you share your WholeLorna rules? I fully feel like it's acceptable to borrow rules from others... we can't all possibly be expected to think of everything ourselves all the time... :) 

I am definitely making clearly defined WholeRebecca rules after my reintro this go-around!!! Thanks for sharing yours, @SugarcubeOD

Today has been a horrible work day (relative to my typical work day, of course). I'm drowning in projects and a never-ending list of tasks, and I don't know how to keep all these balls in the air! Somehow I always manage to pull it off, though. Thank goodness I have no wine in the house - it would be REALLY hard to resist right now. You know what I realized last night, though? I'm starting to really enjoy cooking after work (NSV!). I never hated cooking, but I always chose the couch over the kitchen pre-W30. Turns out that cooking helps me relax/de-stress after work. Perhaps it has to do with really being in the moment as I cook, which leaves little room for work anxiety. It's a nice transition into the evening. 

Archived