anyone get bored of food?

I find that when I clean up my diet like this (it's day 8!), food gets super boring. Like... my sausage and veggies for lunch tasted fine, but nothing to get excited about. Last night we had Valentine's day steak, caramelized onions, sweet potatoes... just pretty good. Maybe this "food as fuel" mentality is good? I generally love cooking, trying new recipes, spices, etc, but somehow I just feel bored about food. And generally speaking, I'm someone who has LOVED to eat (which is probably apparent :P). Maybe it's a mind trick... remember all those exciting foods we used to eat? :P

Does anyone else experience this?

Same here. Food has become fuel and I seemed to have lost the desire to create these themed meals. Meal priorities are now filling the specific nutritional needs regardless of whether the foods go together or not. And I have had some weird combinations when I'm fishing for leftovers in the fridge.

I get so excited about food! I'm still feeling that excitement on the whole30 though. I've been using different spices, and trying new recipes and it gets me super pumped. This month I learned to make kale chips, I made a spiced roast using a rub with coffee, cinnamon, chipotle, cloves, garlic.... OMG sooooo goood. I love using my crockpot! I've been tossing broccoli and red peppers in olive oil and salt and pepper, baking for half an hour and eating tons of it! It's amazing to me that some so simple is so delicious! Have you tried looking at recipes on pinterest or getting a new cookbook? If you're bored find something to make that excites you! Here's my pinterest boards, I have several primal/paleo/ and whole30 boards with tons of great recipes! Good luck!

Yes! On day 6 today. I haven't even wanted to finish my plate, almost choking it down. In mourning for the forbidden foods! Lol! Plus I am eating the same foods all week in rotation. I have a big cooking day and grab out of the fridge to reheat....like having leftovers for every meal. Maybe time to try some recipes, idk.

Same here. Food has become fuel and I seemed to have lost the desire to create these themed meals. Meal priorities are now filling the specific nutritional needs regardless of whether the foods go together or not. And I have had some weird combinations when I'm fishing for leftovers in the fridge.

I know. I had zucchini fritters, a hamburger with mayo and cold roasted cauliflour for lunch....slightly random!

I am there too, feeling disgruntled about all this whole30 business. I am coming down with a cold (after being sick with one all of last week) so that makes food even less appealing. I used to LOVE my coffee and now my stomach is so delicate in the mornings that I don't even want it. I am going to check out Pinterest and the paleomg website, and get some cookbooks at the library this weekend. Hang in there!!

Desire for food will come and go... The biggest thing for me is I know longer have the " crack cravings" for food! That really does come from eating highly processed foods.... Ya think the big food conglomerates haven't figured it out yet?

Sugar and insulin spiking foods, do trigger massive release of serotonin/ dopamine/ GABA as well as other nuero chemicals ... That leave you with real cravings and real withdrawal.

Eating real whole foods while satisfying does not give you the "crack addiction" which in comparison can seem boring and bland.... But that's only in our heads.... The longer you eat W30/clean the more your body gets the subtle clues that you are feeling good, and you mind will snap into line! I never thought I'd get excited about eating kale and mustard greens with some runny eggs..... But after four months eating like this .... It really floats my boat better than any garbage food used to!

Anyway, being slightly bored with food leads me to believe I'm having a much healthier relationship with food!

Processed foods tend to have exaggerated tastes that really hit our taste buds and brains hard. So while the natural foods taste great and truly satisfy our bodies better, they will never be these chemically heightened tastes.

I think it takes a long while completely away from these altered processed foods before we truly regain that full enjoyment of real foods. Until then, changing the menu up often is probably necessary to keep it feeling sustainable. I definitely have had the food boredom, but then I'll try a new recipe that I love and feel excited all over again.

I have the same issue, and think fenderbender hit the nail on the head for me. I think I used to go from craving to craving, so really wanting something in particular an then eating it was (at least temporarily) rewarding. Now I don't really want anything in particular, and eating isn't much of a thrill. I'm thinking that this is how it ought to be, it's just not what I'm used to. I think it's also losing the emotional fulfillment of giving in to cravings that makes me a little bored with food. Frankly, I've lost that loving feeling.

I had to laugh at the random combination comment. I've had jury duty all week and have been eating breakfast in the car really early-cream of broccoli soup, a hard boiled egg, meatballs, and a peach. Whatever.

For me food has always been just fuel, all my life. I never cared much if I ate the same things over and over again. I could NEVER relate to all those emotional issues that people have with the stuff. It's just food.

Maybe that was a result of necessity. I HATE cooking with a passion.

Having said that, I am in the camp that now all of a sudden gets all excited over food :-).

And every time I go shopping I come home with three times as many vegetables as I had planned, because all of them look so exciting and colorful, and then I can't decide what to eat first because I want it all!

I also have big cook ups so all the protein is ready to go for the week, and I kinda enjoy doing it.

And discovering new meals, making stock and soups, and, and, and...

For me food has always been just fuel, all my life. I never cared much if I ate the same things over and over again. I could NEVER relate to all those emotional issues that people have with the stuff. It's just food.

Maybe that was a result of necessity. I HATE cooking with a passion.

Having said that, I am in the camp that now all of a sudden gets all excited over food :-).

And every time I go shopping I come home with three times as many vegetables as I had planned, because all of them look so exciting and colorful, and then I can't decide what to eat first because I want it all!

I also have big cook ups so all the protein is ready to go for the week, and I kinda enjoy doing it.

And discovering new meals, making stock and soups, and, and, and...

All I can do is smile. :0)

I know what you guys mean and I go through those phases...typically a week or two into a new Whole30. A big help for me is pulling out my copy of Well Fed and picking out something I haven't made regardless if it sounds good to me or not. I make it and I'm typically thrilled with the results! I always get a big kick out of a weekly cook-up. I admit that a fridge full of prepped food makes me all giddy and excited to eat again.

So pull out those spices and cookbooks and get to cooking!

Experienced something not exactly like boredom last week. Was not thrilled with the chicken I had made. Then ran out of kale. Fell off the wagon and vowed that I am being restrictive enough doing W30, if I don't like what I have cooked, it goes in the garbage from now on. There ARE lots of compliant foods to eat. And life is too short to choke down something gross.

It's important to consider, too, that our society glorifies being in love with food. We're told that being a "foodie" and taking extreme enjoyment in food is something to be proud of. If you think about it from a historical perspective (not just distant past, either), if our ancestors only ate what struck their fancy at any given time, they may well starve to death. In my personal opinion, food should be fuel - there's nothing wrong with enjoying your food, but enjoyment shouldn't be the primary reason for eating. Enjoy your company, your quiet time alone, the chance to sit and rest.

I agree. But that switch for many of us-from counting on food for SO much of our entertainment to eating with the focus of health, may be the biggest adjustment of all. I'm having to really teach myself how to look forward to things other than food and drink. I've actually gone in the opposite direction this W30, to literally dreading meal time some days. I'm working on finding that balance.

As a side note, mealtime growing up was NOT a happy time for me. It was filled with stress, anxiety, embarassment, and hurt feelings. I think I overcame that by developing some bad habits that felt good. So making another mealtime adjustment has been challenging to say the least. I hate to admit that I still prefer to eat alone while reading the paper or a good book. Baby steps.

I go through this occasionally and it seems to be when I am too low on options. I keep most of my meals tasty but simple, but I always have two new recipes that I try. My simple go to meals are roast chicken, tri tip, grilled marinated flank steak and one or two grilled salmons. Then I spunk it up with one or two new recipes. I keep a ton of different steam sauteed veggies on hand and roasted root veggies.

If I run low, I get caught up in the fact that I don't have a lot of choices and a big shopping trip and cookathon looms ahead. I get the same feeling when I put on my gym shoes when I'm headed for the gym. Once I get into the shopping and prepping (or working out) I'm all energized and excited again. :0)

I am a " foodie" . It's how I make my living, but I've learned to remove the social aspect of food and rely on it only as fuel.

We are social beings, but just skim through this forum and take a look at all the social excuses for " not starting" , "ending early", " postponing", " failing" ...... Because of a holiday, birthday,office party,tailgating, Family BBQ..... On and on

I ask myself, " self, I have 3/4 of a tank of gas in my car, would I stop at a gas station to top it off now and maybe get a few 5 gallon jugs extra in the trunk for the heck of it, or would I simply wait until I was down to under 1/4 tank???" Simple

I was a hockey game last night... Great excuse for stale nachos with fake cheese wiz, watery beer, heat lamp pizza, and a week old salted pretzel !!!! Then it dawned on me..... What about all the millions of people who have dietary restrictions due to either medical issues, or religious practices. Look at all the observant Jewish,Muslim,Hindu who go about their daily lives and attend social events and refrain from gorging on what's available and don't cave into social pressure..... They eat before or wait til they get home.....

Ok .... Off my soapbox. Lol.

Being out of our comfort zone is good for us.... If forces change and adaptation...... In this world of highly processed food garbage, we had better adapt a better way ( Paleo/ W9) or suffer the consequences!

Try prolonged fasting..... I wouldn't be bored with a plain can of sardines and raw kale!

Archived