Question about oils for cooking

Avalanche

So, even though I know it's discouraged, I've been cooking pretty much everything at high temps in olive oil for YEARS. Roasting, sautéing, etc. Sometimes I'll use duck fat, and pre W30 I would use butter every now and then.

I want to change this and use olive oil just for salads, and I'm wondering what would be best for roasting at high heat, and or sautéing/pan frying. Affordability is a bonus too - I go through the stuff relatively quickly.

And I have a follow up question, because I know a lot of people will say "Coconut oil!" Is it coconutty? I'm not really a fan of the flavor of coconut, so if coconut oil is going to give everything that flavor, I'd rather avoid it.

I've tried ghee, and it's alright, but I'm not a big fan.

I cooked with coconut oil for the first time tonight and I think it has a strong enough coconut flavor that I will probably limit how much I use it. I like using ghee but sometimes the butter flavor can be too much too. Have you tried avocado oil? I saw it but it's not cheap.

It depends on what I'm making, but I use ghee the most. Bacon grease if I want that flavor. I would use coconut oil more, but my husband hates the smell. I've never used it, but I thought I read that palm oil is ok to use. I'd have to double check that.

I like using pastured lard for general stir fry. It helps keep my cast iron pans nice and finished. High quality lard is a great source of vitamin K2 and it works so well as high temp oil. When you order pig from your local farmer, just ask them to include the lard. There are coconut oils available without the coconut flavor. Omega Nutrition has an offering. Avocado oil is nice high temp oil choice as well. I am a big believer in spending a little more for high quality fats. Eating high quality fat is one of the best choices to achieving and maintaining good health - it's worth the money.

• 1 month later...

Eating high quality fat is one of the best choices to achieving and maintaining good health - it's worth the money.

Glad to hear this. I just ordered duck fat and avocado oil, but haven't tried either yet.

Going off on this, I like cooking my meat in a George Foreman grill. I usually use Pam, the nonstick spray. Is this okay if I'm using it to make a turkey burger or to grill some chicken? Or should I spread olive oil or coconut oil on it? Is Pam compliant?

I'm new so don't know..can't wait for someone to respond....

You will need to use refined coconut oil for high heat cooking, and the coconut taste in minimal at best. I've used avocado oil, grapeseed oil and walnut oil, too. I don't even use oil anymore for roasting vegetables at high heat, but instead toss a little ghee in there when they are done. Don't forget salt!

I found an awesome coconut ghee from Green Pastures. I know you can mix your own ghee and coconut oil if you already have them, but this is a good ready-to-go cooking option.

I'd avoid all cooking sprays. Ick, in my opinion. I think they ruin the pans, anyway; and aren't many soy based?

I agree to pay a little more for good oil. I know not all of us can afford it, but if you can...

I'm not a big coconut oil user either. I tend to use duck fat, leaf lard, beef tallow or ghee.

Where do you find your grass fed tallows/lards? I don't want to use them unless I can find grass fed. Not a fan of duck fat but I'd try it again...

Plus, how long do people keep their bacon grease in the fridge? Days? Weeks? I looooooove the flavor it adds to most any meal.

I get gf beef tallow and duck fat from pastured ducks from Fatworks. They are local here but they ship everywhere. Great little operation. Someone said they had to order through their facebook page but I think I ordered through their website. Www.fatworks.com

i will check whole foods for avocado oil...I'm not a fan of coconut taste

Since I posted last I've been roasting veggies with avocado oil, and I like it pretty well. It's supposed to hold up to heat a lot better than olive oil, which is what I'd always used before. The avocado oil doesn't have much taste, but it seems to work well.

Where do you find your grass fed tallows/lards? I don't want to use them unless I can find grass fed. Not a fan of duck fat but I'd try it again...

Plus, how long do people keep their bacon grease in the fridge? Days? Weeks? I looooooove the flavor it adds to most any meal.

Just to note in case anyone else is reading: you don't want to use bacon fat from non-compliant bacon.

I cooked a pasture-raised pork butt the other day. There is a lot of creamy creamy fat. I have the big hunks o' fat in the slow cooker now, hoping to render more of the lard out and save for cooking. I've done the same with grass-finished beef tallow.

Archived