Jen's Post W30 Log

pjena

Beets - we're lucky to have a family cabin.  My husband's grandpa built it.  We share the upkeep time and money with 5 families, so it isn't a burden.  I don't think we could handle our own cabin.  I'm very grateful that we have access to one.  It's a ton of work to get ready to go up there, but it's relaxing once we are there.

So, dinner last night was early and small.  I was hungry when we got home from soccer/dairy queen (I didn't touch it this time!) so I chose to have a piece of cinnamon bread toast.  My stomach didn't feel great afterwards and my throat clearing and allergies are worse than usual today.  My head feels "thick."  I don't know if it's related or not.  Maybe eating the bread in the morning with other foods muted a reaction but having it by itself in the evening was different?  I'm not sure.  It could be a coincidence, but it's worth noting.  I put the last (tiny) piece of cinnamon bread in the freezer and will try it again at a later date to see if I get a similar reaction.  Interesting.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that sounds ideal! My parents have a beach house (well, it's not usable now with Sandy damage and FEMA/insurance drama, but hopefully by next summer) and I'm always a little relieved when cool weather comes. When it's warm and sunny I always feel like I am missing something if I'm not at the beach, but especially with kids it's so hard to go away most or even many weekends.

The packing and also the anxiety about driving on highways with kids in the back is so exhausting but, yes, a peaceful place in the woods has to be a nice reward!

Sorry about the bread. If only there was something that tasted like cinnamon bread and had the same texture and smell--but that didn't make us feel bad. :(

Beets - a beach house on the ocean sounds wonderful, too!  I've always wanted to rent one for a vacation.  Someday!  I grew up on Lake Superior.  I love the sound of waves.  I don't really like being in water, but I love being near water. 

Had some bites of an Indian rice dairy concoction that a co-worker bruoght in for me to try.  Just noting in case I need to go back to see what I ate.

Feeling irratible today.  I slept poorly for some reason last night.  Scale is up even more.  I know I shouldn't care what the scale says, but I can't help it.  I wish I could break up with the scale like some others.  I'm just not there yet, I guess.  I'm a data person. :)  I need a deep breath and a good night sleep and I'm sure I'll feel better. 

I don't know if this is related to the wheat or the rice or none of the above.  I'm not PMSing, so I can't blame that. Sigh. 

I wish I could just stay home this weekend.  I don't want the stress of going out of town or the stress of being around foods/drinks I don't want to, but probably will, indulge in.  I just want calm.  And stable! 

On a good note, I have met my workout goal for the week - I did a Jillian DVD, an elliptical workout and a 5 mile walk so far this week.  I have a walk planned for today and hope to get in a couple this weekend in between soccer games.  That will help my mood.

Feeling a little better today.  Weight is still up.  Maybe that will give me motivation to limit the off-roading this weekend.  We will be at an out of town soccer tournament/water park.  It's just me and my oldest son, which makes it a little easier.  Just one kid to keep track of. 

I have tuna salad and kale salad and veggies packed.  Other than that, I'll just have to do the best I can.  Breakfast is a buffet at the hotel.  I figure I can have eggs and some fruit.  I'll bring cm for my coffee and supplement with some veggies.  I should bring some avocados, too.  Lunch will be concession stands.  I don't eat at concession stands.  Even before W30, I didn't eat concession stands, so that is where the tuna/kale comes in.  Dinner is a pizza party - again, tuna, kale.  As long as we stay busy and I don't let anxiety/stress about being out of my element get to me, I should be fine.  I'm shy and get uncomfortable with all of the other parents I don't know well.  My mom and step-dad are coming down to watch some of the games, so that will help. 

Ack!  Wish me luck.

Jen, great job on meeting your exercise goal. That's awesome!

Good luck this weekend. I'm glad you'll have some family company. I remember being really shy in those situations as well. I was thrilled when Zach could drive because his tournaments were all over California. I do kinda miss those days. I don't eat at obsession stands either. I walk past and just know there isn't anything there that I won't regret.

I'm so sorry your weight is up. That's always so worry some to me too.

Have fun this weekend!

I'm actually frightened to step on the scale now because I most probably have gone up!  Huge motivation to get back on the horse properly.  (After dinner out tonight, bien sûr :mellow: ).

Awesome work on the exercise, and best of luck for the weekend.  Keep thinking of the bigger picture :)

I'm back.  The weekend was fine.  The boys won the game against the team a level below them, tied the team at the same level and lost to the team a level above them, so no surprises.  They were disappointed to not go to the championship.  I was happy to come home early.  As I suspected, there was lots of revelry amonst the parents.  They were up very late.  Our room was 2 doors down from the bar and it was very loud until at least 2am.  We hauled the kids back to the rooms by 10 each night.  We were the stick in the mud parents.  I'm ok with that. 

While I did not join in the drinking or the pizza party, I did go off-roading.  I mostly stuck to my food for meals, but got into the hummus and corn chips and yogurt raisins and ice cream.  I had a belly ache each morning and I don't know which (or all!) of those things caused it or if it was just from too much in general.  Off-road fail!  I had a little more hummus (without the corn chips) with my kale/tuna lunch when I got home yesterday and had a belly ache the rest of the afternoon, so I'm guessing that it may not agree with me, which is sad.  The yogurt covered raisins gave me a tummy ache almost right away, but I still ate them because they were addictively sweet.  I didn't even look at the ingredient list because I'm sure it's long and scary.  I did well packing my own food, but didn't think about how I'd resist the snacks the other moms I was rooming with brought with them. 

I am not going near the scale for a while because that won't do me any good.

I need to get back on track.  My plan for the week is to be close to W30, log my food here (reporting to myself does seem to help) and not get on the scale.  I will re-evaluate at the weekend.

M1 - hb eggs, kale salad, cb sw pot, cm coffee, fruit

M2 - ground beef, tomato sauce, zucchini, veg

M3 - rhubarb/oj marinated pork ribs, salad, avocado, almond butter, strawb jam

And, I need to get some exercise today. I did a lot of walking between soccer fields and between our room and the waterpark/arcade, but not any real exercise.  Yoga would feel good.  Maybe I can do that tonight.

edit:

I took a walk in the sunshine today. I hope to do yoga later. That is good!

I realized on the way to work that I forgot my vegetables. I stopped at the grocery and picked up a bag of mixed veg. After lunch, I realized I had also forgotten a fat. I don't know where my head was this morning! My first thought was, "Ooh! I can have a Larabar because I need fat." I stopped that thought and told myself that there is fat in the ground beef and if I actually get hungry later, I can have a Larabar then. I am not hungry. I can wait for dinner. Funny how my mind still goes immediately to the treat, though.

Oh, I go to that "treat" mind place very quickly too. You're not the only one. It sounds like that roomie situation was really tough. I have trouble in those situations because I can be shy and I want to fit it. The great news is that your meals were well planned and you came home and left the off road eating behind you. I'd say that's a Victory.

I think the treat place is my default one!  Working on it.

Tell us about your rhubarb/oj pork ribs ...  That sounds delicious!  Recipe?

I'm aiming for a fully compliant week too, we can do this :)

Morning.  I managed to make it through the afternoon without that Larabar, but after dinner, I dug into the almond butter.  Sigh.  I obviously am not working on the no dessert thing since I'm still doing it after 2.5 months.  I'm considering doing the official W30 in August.  Need to think on that.

I had a belly ache after the almond butter, went for a walk with hubs and the dog and then laid on the floor wishing I had made a better choice.  Maybe that will remind me tonight.

I remembered all parts of my lunch today.  I think. :)

I bought the waffle plate attachment for my Griddler.  I'm going to try it for the first time tonight.  I found a paleo waffle recipe that is mostly eggs and almond flour.  I passed by the one made with almond butter!  Should be fun. 

M2 - ground beef, tomato sauce, zucchini, veg, olives, larabar (was still hungry despite remembering olives today and I think being starving last night contributed to the AB situation)

M3 - paleo waffles, rhubarb/strawb sauce, salad

Goal for tonight is NO DESSERT of any kind!

PP - We have SO MUCH RHUBARB!  My husband has planted 8 plants on our corner.  I searched for some savory rhubarb recipes and found this:

http://www.savor-the-rhubarb.com/rhubarb-supper.html

I made the grilled pork ribs at the bottom.  Everybody liked the ribs, but they didn't think the rhubarb added anything.  You couldn't really taste it over the ginger and hot sauce.  Still, it was fun to try something new with rhubarb - something not sweet.

Thanks for posting that, I will have to try some.  I love rhubarb so much.  I have a major sour-tooth and I'll eat it plain, dipped in salt.  Hubby thinks I'm a freak.  (And wonders how I have any tooth enamel left).

Does anyone else in the family eat the nut butters, or is it an option to not get more once these jars are finished?  Sometimes it's the only way!  I've hidden mine and so far it's working, will not be making anymore once it's gone.

You are right.  I need to not buy almond butter so that I can't get into it.  I like it as my fat sometimes when I need something quick and easy (carrots, almond butter and hb eggs travel well), but it's too easy to abuse.  My younger son eats sunbutter and my husband and older son eat peanut butter, so the almond butter is all me.  My jar is almost gone. I will not open another.  At least until we go to the cabin again. 

• Moderators

I'm so out of control with nut butters I've simply kept them banished from my diet. Too sweet and delicious. I still have a few jars in the pantry, but I won't let myself open them. Fat sources for me are limited to oils, avocados and olives. Works just fine.

Sounds like you're otherwise doing quite well! Yay for cabin getaways and meeting exercise goals!

Nut butters are so easy. It's hard to banish them for that reason. However, what I *did* learn during my short-lived w30--when I banished dried fruit and nuts--is it's much easier to stay on template and get away from snacky, back to calm when you are forced to eat mini-meals to break that snacky habit.

Unfortunately I started my day with a couple dried apricots so I'm right with you. Sorry you felt terrible during your weekend off-roading. I so recognize what you said about the yogurt raisins. I did the same with the cheese I ate. It was like, this is making me feel awful, more please. I'm sure I could eat my way through the discomfort to get back to where I was before, eating all this crap and not feeling distinct reactions, but that thought is too scary.

Yesterday was a good day.  I really wanted to snack after dinner, but I resisted.  I made the kids go for a bike ride with me.  Remember when we'd spend all day outside riding our bikes?  Now, I have to force mine out.  They wanted to play Wii.  We are about the meanest parents of anyone we know and severely limit screen time, so I'm not sure why they thought they could play Wii, but I guess they wouldn't be kids if they didn't try. 

I finished reading Pandora's Lunchbox this morning.  It reinforced that I need to cut back on processed food.  Compared to most people, we use very little, but after reading about all of the chemicals and weird stuff they do to food, I want to get rid of the little we still have in the house.  I know I can't purge it all together.  I'd be outnumbered 3 to 1, but maybe I can keep whittling away at it.

The Paleo waffles were pretty good.  I am totally making these next time:

http://www.thefoodieandthefamily.com/2012/08/25/avocado-bacon-waffles/

Plan for today:

M1 - hb eggs, kale salad, cb sw pot, cm coffee, fruit

M2 - chicken, salad/veg/avocado, spoon baked beans, sliver cookie

M3 - tuna, salad/veg, goat cheese

M4 - deli meat, olives, carrots

NO SNACK/DESSERT

Offroad success (I'm calling it now so that I have to behave the rest of the day to make it true  ;)  )

We had our company picnic today.  I hate those things, but it wasn't really an option to skip it.  I needed to show up and be part of the group.  I ate salad/veggies and avocado before I went over there, took a small piece of GF chicken (still had a scary long ingredient list online, but at least no wheat or soy), a tiny spoon of baked beans (because they smelled good) and a tiny sliver of cookie (because the looked good).  I did not go back for another cookie or two.  So far, I feel fine - no reactions.  And, I stopped with my tiny tastes and will end the day normally.

I want to be able to offroad in situations like this with small portions and get right back on the bike afterwards.  Each time I can practice and succeed at that, I think my offroading muscles will get stronger.  :lol:

Calling it a good day.  I ate dinner early and was hungry after soccer practice (son's, not mine).  I actually had the almond butter out of the fridge, but I put it back and ate a piece of meat, some carrots and some olives.  Willpower is working today. 

I meant to run/walk during practice, but there weren't any other little sibs on the playground today, so I had to stay with my 8 yo.  We played on the playground and took a walk.  Not quite a sweaty workout, but much more fun. :) 

I went to bed a little hungry.  I didn't want to have another mini-meal.  I still slept ok.  I think lunch, even with the small off-roads, wasn't big enough.  I would have eaten more than a tiny bit of chicken, but I couldn't get past what I knew of the ingredient list.  Life would be easier if I didn't know what they do to food!  I would have just brought my own food, but as a manager, I felt that I needed to participate and not be the food snob that I know I am. :rolleyes:

Plan for today:

M2 - salad w/ salami, blueberries, goat cheese, pumpkin seeds, veg

M3 - salad w/ salmon, blueberries, goat cheese, pumpkin seeds, veg (packed my lunch and dinner as I made dinner last night, which is why they are all the same - efficiency is good)

M4 - deli meat, olives, carrots but didn't touch the DQ!

NO SNACK/DESSERT

• Moderators

I think you should be proud to be a food snob. Nothing at all wrong with it. I've been thinking about how stupid it is that our food system is so f*&^#% up that we are basically forced into an eating disorder (see: orthorexia, food obsession, etc.) just to get nourished.

One of my yoga teachers talked about being a yoga snob as knowing and trusting your body better than any teacher or class. I liken that to food snobbery. It's not being a snob. It's taking care of yourself.

Archived