Physibeth's First Whole30 Log (finally!)

Physibeth

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG!  Took awhile but I finally got caught up!  :D  But now I want a big bowl of mushrooms cooked in ghee with a side of liver!  :P

I want to know what this tallow rub/lotion is too!  I think I'd be tempted to lick myself though!  :lol:

Beth, congrats on the marathon!!  I think you did awesome and I admire you for finishing it!  I'd be lucky to get 100 yards from the starting line!  :rolleyes:

BTW, zoodler is still in the box but I got a HUGE home-grown zucchini from a friend so that may be tonight's adventure along with some liver and onions.  I did make patty pan squash for the first time this past Monday...very different from zucchini and yellow squash!  I just cubed them and sauteed in ghee then added some garlic scape pesto I bought from a stand at the farmer's market.

Thanks and lol on the tallow lotion. Get that zoodler out of the box! Do it! Your squash sounds delicious!

Cute running skirt! 

Thanks! I will admit I kind of have a problem when it comes to these cute skirts from runningskirts.com. I have 5 of those with the capris attached and 7 that have shorts under them (2 of which are slightly too big now). I like how girly they make me feel and they don't ride up in the middle like running shorts do.

That is a good way to think of it Nadia! I do only have the one favorite pair of pants for BodyPump. Doing squats in the skirts feels weird. I try to do a load of laundry every day or two so it doesn't pile up. I like that I have plenty of options to fit my mood when I run though and if laundry does get backed up I'm good.  :D

Speaking of skirts hoarder...I just got 4 more of the cute flippy skirt I wore the other day so now I have black, blue, gray, pink, and purple. I really have no excuse to not wear skirts more frequently. Next is to find a few pairs of little shorts to wear under them I think.I also finally found a new pair of denim shorts that fit. Yay! :wub:

The Pad Thai looks super tasty and smells good. It is meal 3 so I'll let you know in another 4 hours. Still polishing off meal 2.  :)

My produce order had been dropped off by the time I got back from my run so I didn't have time to make my salad and saute my bok choy. I ended up eating half of a large cucumber from my box with my Rogan Josh and I have a handful of fresh cherries on my plate to eat too. Man these shorts fit but they are tight.  :P

Will add a shredded carrot to the veggies already in my Pad Thai and a handful of dry roasted organic cashews and possibly another handful of cherries. 

I can't tell you how many times I have just grabbed a cucumber to eat while on the go!  People in the other cars must think I am nuts.  Going to have to make the Rogan Josh, you make it sound really tasty!

I have a couple outfits that had been moved to the back of my closet but now they are starting to fit, tightly.  I am so excited though that I can get them on that I squish my self into them anyway!

Cucumbers is one of those foods I can eat now when I didn't really care for them before. I sliced it up and sprinkled with sea salt. Delicious. I'm feeling a little overall swollen today. It's uncharacteristicly humid here and ac still out in the office which is not helping I'm sure. Trying to suck down copious amounts of water today. These shorts are basically the same as the jeans I where just cut off at the knee. I know that the 2nd wear will be more comfortable than the first. 

The Rogan Josh really is very tasty. I made mine with lamb but I imagine it would be great with any protein.

Ok folks...what would you do with pea shoots? I was thinking these would be like sprouts but they are actually the stems/leaves/curlies left over after picking sugar snap peas. I can post a picture when I get home. No clue what to do with them. I also always get carrots that still have the greens attached and usually just toss the greens. Can I use them in some way instead?

The Pad Thai is delicious! I would even go so far as to say I might like it better than what I would get at my favorite restaurant. Not as kicky as I usually like it so I might up the spice next time, but kicky enough to make my nose sniffy. I'm sweating too from eating it in this no AC office of mine. 

Pea shots. I just throw them in the salad, they are so tender and sweet. Other option is just slightly sautee them with garlic and Asian kind of stuff. Sesame coconut amigos etc. You can also throw handfull to a stir fry. Basically use them as you'd use baby spinach.

Yay for shorts soon to fit perfectly ;)

Ah, so this is where all the action is!  Nice one on the half-marathon, and I am drooling over your zoodles photo.  I was in love with my julienne peeler before, now I am glaring at it in DISGUST and fighting an almighty urge to order a zoodle maker online.  

Even though zucchinis are not my friends!

So glad to hear that you loved the Pad Thai!  Think I'll make it this weekend!

Pea shoots are great in salads or just tossed with EVOO/Balsamic Vinegar, salt, and pepper as a small side dish or served with salmon.

Thanks for the pea shoots ideas ladies! I need to make some jar salads today so maybe I'll throw a little bit of the shoots into each one. Nummy! 

Sophie you can make other types of vegetable noodles with the zoodler. I think I might try it with a sweet potato this weekend, though I may fry those spirals in tallow or duck fat and eat them like fries.  :ph34r: I got 5 more small-medium sized zucchinis in my box this week (about 1.5 lbs) so I'm sure there will be more zoodles in the coming week. 

Only managed to drink half my kombucha bottle yesterday and I didn't eat any fruit with my dinner as I was stuffed. Got home from community group way too late and went straight to bed after attempting to feed that cat. Our younger cat didn't seem to want to eat which usually means she found something to eat that she shouldn't eat while we were gone in the day and didn't feel good.  :rolleyes:

Day 18

Sleep: Took me almost 30 minute to fall asleep last night. I was almost asleep when husband decided to grab grumpy cat and bring her to bed. Someone the growling and the hissing is not soothing.  :P Once asleep I slept almost through the night. Woke shortly before 2 am to the weird motor-like sound that I hear sometimes. Still have no idea what causes that noise. Woke again when husbands alarm went off at 5:30 am but fell back asleep quickly I guess as my app didn't record that waking. Shut my alarm off and went back to sleep for another 30 minutes or so. Just shy of 8 hours of sleep. 3:13 REM :58 Deep.

Meal 1(8:15 am) 4 eggs scrambled into kale and garlic scape sauteed in coconut ghee, bacon, raw fermented carrots, black coffee 

Meal 2: (tbd) Cinnamon Beef Stew with Mashed Faux-Tatoes, cherries

Meal 3: (tbd) Tuna Salad, avocado, salad, fruit?

Exercise: (7 pm) BodyPump class tonight

It's another cloudy humid day today. Tomorrow it is supposed to be sunny and in the 80s. If they do not fix the AC at work before tomorrow I am absolutely taking the day off or working from home. The forecast going forward has the highs getting into the 90s early next week. Still feeling swollen today. Can't get my rings off. I don't know if this is me still recovering from my race, the aftershock of a very deep massage Monday, from the heat/humidity, from something I'm eating, from exercise, or a combination of the above. I'm also debating going out tomorrow night to a Lindy Hop dance. Need to talk to husband to see if he wants to do something (he does not dance). Not too much else to report. Feeling kind of lazy this morning. Need to get myself in gear and hop to it.

Feeling much more comfortable in my new shorts today and starting to feel a little less swollen. Cinnamon beef stew was very tasty though the meat was a bit drier than I like it. Maybe I didn't pull enough of the sauce from the main bowl. Made my cauliflower with coconut oil, cinnamon, and sea salt and it was a nice combination with the stew. 

Managed to get the bird feeders refilled before I left this morning. I was starting to worry that the hummingbirds would leave for good if I didn't fill the feeder soon. I watched one sit on the perch and stick his tongue in and out for close to a minute before leaving in a huff this morning. Picked 5 tiny strawberries off my hanging plant and ate them. 2 of them were sweet enough the others I probably should have left. I need to pick the dead stuff off that plant and maybe move it to a new pot as my husband got frustrated trying to put the hanger in the ground last summer and cracked the one it is in.

Washed my hair with dirty poo for the first time today. Definitely a different experience. Hair feels fine today. Not sure I worked it in to the base of my scalp enough. 

Still no AC at work and probably not going to get fixed until end of next week.  :o

Eating meal 3. Didn't have time to make salads this morning so I have 2 carrots and the rest of my cucumber. I couldn't really bring myself to cut into the avocado as I just didn't feel like eating it. I decided to take my weekly 3 avocados off my produce delivery and just buy them when I need them for a specific meal from the store because I just honestly don't like them enough and I'm sick of throwing them away.

Checked my order for next week and I'm getting 4 ears of white corn and 1.5 lb of yukon gold potatoes.  :angry:

Hopefully hubster will eat both.

I am completely enamoured with this produce delivery you speak of (despite the corn and potato), I have no such thing in my area thus spend 2 days a week running amuck through Burlington County collecting my veggies.  I mean I enjoy my farmer's market day on Saturday  but sometimes I would really like someone to bring it to me!  Although I did find a new egg source today that is just down the street from me :)

I love that you cook from Well Fed and Practical Paleo as well, it seems like you have been doing all the recipes that I have hesitated to do.  I am going to have to try the Pad thai AND the Rogan Josh which is great because I need to menu plan for next week and at least one of those can become two meals.  I will be doing the mushrooms in duck fat this weekend so will definitely let you know how they turn out! 

Sorry about the heat in your office, no fun!  It probably is the cause of your swelling, I know I get really swollen when I get too hot, if you have access to cold water you could place wet cloths over your ankles and wrists to help cool your blood flow through your extremities.  I find that helps me, most certainly my ankles as they swell like an 8 mo pregnant lady!  Hang in there chica!

You don't have any type of CSA in your area Lizzard? I really love our service. I probably won't be able to use this one anymore when I move because the goal is to move to the county we actually work in which this farm doesn't deliver to. There is a CSA farm that I might try that is close to work when we move. You have to go pick up your shares but they also have unlimited upick on herbs and flowers in the summer. The city I want to move to also has a huge Saturday market June-Oct that is a little overwhelming but has lots of great stuff.

Yay on nearby eggs! I really need to find a friend nearby to get my eggs from. Mine are so expensive. I do have friends that have chickens and ducks but when I last asked they were not sure if their feed had soy in it or not.

Definitely let me know how the mushrooms turn out. I bought the chef's sampler yesterday at PCC so I'm ready to go if the results are positive. Hope your Rogan Josh and Pad Thai turn out as yummy as mine!

I wonder how my boss would feel about my putting a soaking tub of ice water under my desk today. Hmmm. I'm going to regret dragging my feet this morning as I need to get out and run and it is already in the mid-60s. Ugh and stuff!

Day 19

Sleep: Didn't take too long to get to sleep last night and only woke once in the night around 2:30. Seven and a half hours. Would have liked to sleep in longer but Cleo the cat would not let me. 

Meal 1: (8:30 am) 4 eggs scrambled into kale and garlic scape sauteed in coconut ghee, bacon, raw fermented carrots, black coffee

Exercise: 6 mile easy pace run

Meal 2: Rogan Josh with spaghetti squash, fruit

Meal 3: Chinese BBQ Pork with bok choy, fruit

Last night's BodyPump class was awesome! I pushed myself really hard and felt great afterwards. Every part of me was covered in sweat which actually helped reduced my heat induced swelling a lot. I could even slide my ring off after class. Ended up chatting in the parking lot with a friend after class for like an hour so by the time I stopped at the grocery store and drove home it was after 10 pm. Ate a small boneless skinless chicken thigh with a dallop of mayo, a pickle, and the rest of my kombucha from the previous day. Cold shower felt amazing and to bed I went! Still debating what to do today as far as work. It is going to be hot. I think husband and I are going to go to a movie tonight so I'm going to wear one of my new flippy skirts.  :) If I go to work I may bring along what I need to go dancing just in case husband bails on our date last minute.  :ph34r: Time to get moving on that run before it gets any hotter.

Archived