Physibeth's First Whole30 Log (finally!)

Physibeth

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh Susan, the mushrooms sound tasty as well!  I will have to give that a try.  I usually do them simply on the stove top with ghee and prosciutto but I bet my tomato recipe would translate well, I'll have to make sure I get some from my mushroom man on Saturday.

Beth, I use body lotion like it's going out of style and the tallow just reminded me a couple recipes I have for it.  I never thought I would have the where with all to make my own cosmetics but once I started  quickly began batch making stuff each month, I love knowing what is going on my body!  Although I am an applyer ;)   I am sure it is just as wonderful to cook with!

Beth I haven't, obviously, tried mushroom confit but I don't see why it wouldn't work the same way.  Trying it this weekend absolutely since I am cooking a duck for my last day meal and I will have lots of yummy fat.  Thanks to Susan for the idea even though she thought the shrooms were for the stew, lolz :P

Beth, I use body lotion like it's going out of style and the tallow just reminded me a couple recipes I have for it.  I never thought I would have the where with all to make my own cosmetics but once I started  quickly began batch making stuff each month, I love knowing what is going on my body!  Although I am an applyer ;)   I am sure it is just as wonderful to cook with!

I've been generally lucky (blessed with good genes) where skin is concerned so I try not to rock the boat.I have been looking for a body wash recipe but as I just bought a coconut oil based one from PCC that I liked I am sticking with that for now. 

I have had more acne on my face though since doing W30 which I'm not sure about. I'll laugh if it was cutting the little dairy I was eating out completely. That and sugar are the only real things different in my diet between now and the months before W30. Weirdness.

That dumpling squash..little acorn types right? Love the idea of slow cooker for them if you arent in the mood for an oven. :D

Yes. They are kind of smooshy looking. I really just don't like to cut raw squash which is why I like the slow cooker over the oven. Anything that can reduce my chances of chopping off my own fingers.

Yeah totally was talking about the shrooms for the stew. :)

The stew recipe actually just has a little bit of tomato paste so I'm cool with that. I've not made the Chocolate Chili again because I'm 85% sure the amount of tomatoes in that recipe are what gave me the incredible heartburn. Though I also ate it over mashed faux-tatoes which I have noticed can give me gurgly tummy as well (not unbearable so though).

Geez this was an intense catch up reading. I found where the cooking party is, hah!

Ghee. Susan, I actually freaked out that I am doing it wrong, not to bring up the pixie dust thing, hah. I've always done it as Liz said, but I was too lazy to look up, so I just tried and it worked. After first batch I figured out that it seems right and my Bengali co-worker just confirmed the guess with tex message. I guess oven method is amazing too, no watch pretty much.

Mushrooms. I love oyster mushrooms in ghee with lots of garlic, lemon and fresh thyme, but any mix will be amazing. I also love marinated (greens and garlic) and oven roasted portobello caps. Shiitake are my loved ones and they are singing in any stir fry. In the cooking section here someone started the mushrooms thread, some great ideas were there too, but can't remember.

Cosmetics. Nothing scary at all, Liz is right. Can I get the tallow recipe too, please? I buy tallow soap at my butcher, then honey for face washing and cocoa butter for the rest. Check out Crunch Betty, tonns of homemade stuff for skin/hair.

Dumpling squash. If it is tiny why not slice it, not harder than peeling celeriac? I like to make roasted wedges - fat+spices = mnom. Mash sounds good too. I am sure that stuffing will work just fine (I love gb and spinach). Since they are small, you can just half them after they are half way done. Then stuff and bake till done.

You all truly overestimate my skills with a knife.  :D I peeled my Celeriac with my veggie peeler. Slow but it got the job done.  ;)

So many tasty things I want to try now. And me not bringing nearly enough food for my supper...I think I need to head out shortly so I can get home and eat something else. I'm tempted to eat an apple with almond butter right now.

While we are on the topic of mushrooms. I tried to do the stuffed mushroom recipe from Practical Paleo and it failed miserably. I couldn't figure out how to actually stuff them. They were just kind of flat. The stuffing tasted really good all on its own luckily. Any advice on stuffing mushrooms? This recipe called for baby portebella (sp?) caps.

Beth, I love that I came to catch up with you and got a cooking lesson! What a bonus. I too am afraid of slicing my fingers off! I'm such a klutz in the kitchen.

I wish we could use salted butter. I have a bunch of Kerrygold and other organic butter in the freeze. Darn!

Nadia, you are so right and I love that we have a community like this one where we can talk about different methods to make things, everyone learns in different ways from different people.  I mean, I am so happy to have learned to make ghee in the oven and I never would have known that without this community :)

As far as salted butter goes Beth and Calee, I have never had a problem with it when making ghee.  It does have a slight salty taste but it seems most of the salts cooks off with the milk solids (they tasted like a salt lick to me).  I can't speak for the oven method but no fear on the stove top with salty butter!

OMG!  Took awhile but I finally got caught up!  :D  But now I want a big bowl of mushrooms cooked in ghee with a side of liver!  :P

I want to know what this tallow rub/lotion is too!  I think I'd be tempted to lick myself though!  :lol:

Beth, congrats on the marathon!!  I think you did awesome and I admire you for finishing it!  I'd be lucky to get 100 yards from the starting line!  :rolleyes:

BTW, zoodler is still in the box but I got a HUGE home-grown zucchini from a friend so that may be tonight's adventure along with some liver and onions.  I did make patty pan squash for the first time this past Monday...very different from zucchini and yellow squash!  I just cubed them and sauteed in ghee then added some garlic scape pesto I bought from a stand at the farmer's market.

P.S. cook that damned liver :P

LOL! I think what is in the back of my fridge is only worthy of the trash at this point but I bought another container and have left it frozen until I have a proper cook up day. I think this weekend might still be on the over busy side but I should have a 4 day weekend for 4th of July so will try and get it cooked up then and will remember to incorporate into July's meal plan.

My cookup last night was very successful! Got home around 6:30, ran upstairs to close windows as it was pouring rain and blowing sideways, came back downstairs to find my cats had chewed into the bag of crunchy food I bought at TJs (poor things didn't have breakfast because mommy didn't get to the store yesterday), fed them some crunchies and stored the rest and then got to work.

I made chicken pad thai with zucchini noodles, cinnamon beef strew, and chinese bbq pork. All from Well Fed. I even did most of the cleaning as I went so I only have a few dishes to do this morning. All and all it took me about 2.5 hours to do but I have a fridge full of tasty treats again. Yay! 

9142890927_59e2712e4b_n.jpg

I definitely didn't eat enough for dinner so I ate a couple of small pieces of the chicken I cooked for the pad thai while I was cooking and then when I was done I had 2 eggs fried in bacon fat with a sliced apple and a piece of bacon while I rewarded myself for my efforts by watching last nights So You Think You Can Dance. Man the top 20 this year is amazing! I love them all! Glad I don't vote because I don't think I could choose!

Day 17

Sleep: 8 glorious hours! Woke once around 2 am and then not again until 7 am. 3:33 REM and 1:08 Deep.

Meal 1: (8:30 am) 4 eggs scrambled with garlic scape and kale sauteed in ghee, bacon, raw fermented carrots, black coffee

Exercise: (10 am?) 6 mile tempo run

Meal 2: (tbd) Rogan Josh with spaghetti squash, salad with homemade dressing

Meal 3: (tbd) Chicken pad thai with zucchini noodles, sauteed bok choy 

Archived