Physibeth's First Whole30 Log (finally!)

Physibeth

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pinned that recipe too! There is a dumpling squash in the photo. They are much smaller than the acorn squash. Not having had them before not sure what the taste profile is. Might just have to throw caution to the wind and cook one up and see.  ;)

What I ended up doing last night. Used most of the recipe for the scallops in Practical Paleo which involved seasoning them with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and then searing them in about 2 Tbs of coconut ghee 3 minutes per side. I then let the juices simmer a bit, added some water, lemon juice, and a smidge of arrowroot powder and stirred it up. Than I tossed in my "spaghetti" and some garlic salt and stirred until it was coated and warm (was a bit on the frozenish side as my fridge is so stuffed). Tasted fabulous! Have half of this leftover for my next seafood day on Tuesday.  :) Probably should have eaten something green with it too but as it was almost 9 pm already I just had the scallops and the squash. Started falling asleep in front of the tv around 10 so took myself to bed.

Day 14

Sleep: I was a tired puppy and slept 9 hours last night. Woke up very briefly when husband came home around 1. Woke up again around 4:45 with a very busy head that I could not seem to quiet. Read facebook on my phone for a while to try and get my thoughts focused somewhere else. Slept on and off until just after 6 and then slept pretty well until I got up around 8:30. 4:10 of REM and 1:07 of Deep.

Meal 1: (8:45) 4 fried eggs, half an acorn squash with coconut butter, raisins,  and cinnamon, sauerkraut, black coffee

Planned for the rest of the day

Meal 2: Mustard glazed chicken thighs and 2 veggie sides (probably sauteed bok choy and baby carrots)

Meal 3: Grass fed rib eye steak, sweet potatoes, broccoli

Was way too tired and sore yesterday to do my planned cook up. I think I'm going to be home tomorrow as I put in a request to have some carpets cleaned though I have not gotten a confirmation on my appointment yet. Need to call them in the morning. My kitchen is a disaster yet again so I need to clean that up first and then do some cleaning out of the fridge. I'll figure it out somehow. Have church at 12:30 today and then kids ministry at 4 so will be gone most of the day. Will try and get the kitchen in order and the meat I need to cook defrosting before I leave this morning. Should attempt some more yard work but I'm still mighty sore from yesterday. 

Beth, I would just saute the scallops in as much ghee as you want. If it's 8 scallops, I'd do at least 2-3 TBS ghee. When nicely golden brown, remove and keep warm while you make the sauce. Throw in shallots or scapes (yum!!) in the pan for a minute or two. Or garlic if you'd prefer or all 3. :) Then add whatever acid you want to use. The amount depends on the amount of ghee, but think salad dressing as the ratio guide. So...3 tbs ghee maybe 1 TBS acid. That is just approximate amount. Lemon juice, lime juice, nice light vinegar. Any fresh herbs would be good too.

Day 15

Woo hoo! Half way point!

Sleep: Slept a little over 8 hours last night. Took me a little while to settle down and go to sleep. About an hour later it started pouring hard enough to wake me out of deep sleep (which is not really pleasant) and took me about a half hour to go back to sleep. Turned the alarm off this morning and slept for another hour. 4:04 of REM :54 of deep.

Meal 1: (8 am) 4 eggs scrambled into a garlic scape and kale sauteed in coconut ghee, bacon, black coffee, raw fermented carrots

Exercise: (10:30 am) 4 mile easy pace run

Meal 2: (3 pm) Rogan Josh (from Well Fed) with spaghetti squash and sauteed spinach

Meal 3: (tbd) Chinese BBQ Pork (from Well Fed) sauteed bok choy and steamed broccoli 

Staying home today because I had the carpet in 2 rooms professionally cleaned this afternoon. Got started on lunch late so need to wait another 50 minutes for the Rogan Josh to be ready. Going to pull out enough for lunch and let the rest simmer for another hour. Sipping my kombucha while I wait. Going to head out for a massage after I finally eat lunch and than home to clean the kitchen and finish my cooking for the week. Didn't get much done last night because hubster wanted to play Star Wars the Old Republic with me after dinner so we ran around with our Sith Lords creating mahem for a while before I went to bed. Not too much else to report. Hoping I can get everything I need to do done today and get to bed at a reasonable time so I can be up and out of here for my 8:30 am BodyPump class tomorrow. 

Oh wow is Rogan Josh worth the weight! So good! Making my nose run a little too.  :D

Successfully cooked another spaghetti squash in the crock pot today. Glad I was in the kitchen because before the timer went off I heard a "pop" and went over to see that it had split along the bottom so I took it out. Was so perfectly done (to my taste anyway) that I had trouble separating the seeds and the gook from the good stuff. 

A whole bunch of spinach sauteed in coconut ghee with garlic salt was the perfect side to this dish. Omnomnomnom!  :wub:

Rogan Josh is high on my short list of things to try. I'm trying to get some lamb shoulder from a local grass-fed place. She doesn't list shoulder on the choices, but I think I can special order some. I ordered the seasoning from Penzey's.

I love the new photo, and was glad to hear the race was good (if not everything you'd hoped).

Thanks Shelda. Have you tried Trader Joe's for lamb? I'm pretty sure lamb is a safe non-factory farmed meat if you can find some it should be grass-fed. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. 

Did not have enough time to make the pork tonight (not defrosted enough) so I will make it tomorrow night. Had 2 grass fed hotdogs with mayo and mustard, baby carrots, and pickles instead. I really want to eat more hot dogs but I know it isn't because I'm hungry but because they are delicious.  :ph34r:

Need to get my rump out of this chair and cook up the rest of the food for tomorrow's meals. 

Day 16

Sleep: I was so tired after my last post and the meal I wanted to make was going to take so long that I just went to bed.  :rolleyes: Read until I started falling asleep on the book. Turned out the light and then couldn't sleep.  :o So I went downstairs to talk with hubby a bit. Came back upstairs and read until I was falling asleep on the book again and this time was able to go to sleep. Just shy of 7 hours with 2:55 of REM and :57 of Deep. Woke once a little after 2 am and feel back asleep quickly.

Meal 1: (6:20 am) 4 eggs scrambled into kale and garlic scape sauteed in coconut ghee, raw fermented carrots, bacon, black coffee

Exercise (8:30 am) BodyPump release 85 (in which Bethany sweats a lot, feels the pain, and may have been panting a few times  :ph34r: )

Meal 2: (12 pm) 2 grass fed hot dogs with mayo and mustard, baby carrots, pluot

Meal 3: (tbd) scallops sauteed in coconut ghee with spaghetti squash and coconut ghee sauce (leftovers from Sat night), snap peas, apple

When I do my next session of meal planning my mains for a month I need to do a better job of only picking one really time intensive meal a week and perhaps ensure at least one of my meals each week is a crock pot meal. I just got overwhelmed last night. Hoping I can check out of here a little early today and get at least tomorrow's meals done tonight and then get started on the rest of what I need to cook. Have to wait for produce in the morning so maybe finish it then, but I would really rather be done tonight and maybe I can scrub down my kitchen tomorrow morning. I managed to get it all picked up last night but it is still kind of dirty.

I'm sore from my massage yesterday. She kind of beat me up...especially my legs. I know in the long run it is better but today it just kind of hurts.

Got the duck fat and tallow I ordered in the mail this weekend. Need to decide what I'm going to cook with it. I'm out of plain ghee (I have coconut and some little flavored sample jars) and I'm trying to decide if I want to buy more or try my hand at making it or just see if what I do have for fats will get me through.

AC is still out at my office. Glad it isn't super hot out. Feels weird wearing shorts when it is 61 outside though.

Beth..making your own ghee is the easiest thing you have tackled so far. I promise. Let me know if you want to do stovetop (takes some stirring and hovering) or oven method (hands off the whole time). :)

Forgot to say..I use tallow for all things red meats. I also love it to put a good char on brussel sprouts or cauli..or kale or chard..I could go on and on. :)

Duck fat..all of the above but I always use tallow for beef, pork or lamb.

So much fat, so little time. :)

Susan...I hate standing over things and stirring them so maybe the oven method. Will it work with salted butter? I have the Organic Valley Pasture butter (just 2 sticks).

Can I sub the tallow/duck fat into recipes that call for coconut oil/ghee? I'm assuming a definite yes for recipes that call for bacon fat but I have a big jar of bacon fat so I'll probably continue to use that. :-)

The meal I didn't make last night was the cinnamon beef stew from Well Fed. Mostly because I didn't want to stay up and let it simmer on the stove top for 90 minutes. Can I just make it in my crock pot? I'm thinking following the steps through the simmer and then transfer would work yes?

Susan...I hate standing over things and stirring them so maybe the oven method. Will it work with salted butter? I have the Organic Valley Pasture butter (just 2 sticks).

Can I sub the tallow/duck fat into recipes that call for coconut oil/ghee? I'm assuming a definite yes for recipes that call for bacon fat but I have a big jar of bacon fat so I'll probably continue to use that. :-)

The meal I didn't make last night was the cinnamon beef stew from Well Fed. Mostly because I didn't want to stay up and let it simmer on the stove top for 90 minutes. Can I just make it in my crock pot? I'm thinking following the steps through the simmer and then transfer would work yes?

Lol..I so had a feeling you would vote oven method. I used salted Kerrygold and hated it..however..Derval and I compared butters. Hers was 2% and mine from Costco was 4%. My Organic valley is 2%. Is that what yours says? I always do a pound of butter so yours will take less time. 300 degrees for 70 minutes is what I do. So maybe check yours at 50 minutes? The milk fat that is at the bottom of your pot should be very dark brown and the smell should make your mouth water. When it's ready, just strain through cheesecloth into your container.

Yes on the interchangeable fats. Taste them and use them and you will decide which fats you like when. No right or wrong answer. I find I like duck fat most of all. I like tallow for super high heat cooking. It's very heat stable.

I dont know that recipe but your plan sounds good. Although overnight cooking would be too much if you only need to simmer for 90 minutes. Can you make it to simmer and stick it in the fridge? Then cook it 4-6 hours tomorrow?

I have a wall timer that I use with my large crockpot (the ones you use for lamps) to make it shut off so I could do that. If it fits in the smaller one that has a timer built in and then goes to warm. I don't think stew warming a bit longer will be as disastrous as it was for my spaghetti squash. I'm going to try it. 4-6 hours on low then? 

Perhaps I'll wait until I can purchase more butter to make my ghee. I have plenty of the coconut ghee in the meantime. Should I just use my dutch oven or will any oven safe dish do fine? I'll check the salt percentage when I get home but I gather it is the same as yours. I don't know if I still have cheesecloth...might have to purchase that too.

Nadia or Susan - Have either of your cooked sweet dumpling squash before? I'm not sure if the recipe Lizzard posted will work with these as they are so small. They are maybe the size of my fist.

I learned how to make ghee from my Indian relatives and was taught NEVER to stir it because you don't want to disturb the milk solids that fall to the bottom.  Dunno any other method but basically I put the pound of butter in a saucepot over medium high until it gets all foamy then turn it down to low/ med low until the milk solids have separated to the bottom and turned a dark brown.  I then pour it off through cheese cloth into a mason jar.  I usually start it while making dinner so I can keep a stray eye on it.  Easy Peasy, but Susan's oven method seems just as easy, I just want it faster :D

I made the Cinnamon beef stew in my crock pot, as you said, making it up through deglazing then tossing everything in the cp.  I used bone broth instead of water and stayed towards the 3ish cup side.  Put it on low 8hrs, just before bed.  The only difference is that the liquid won't reduce to a "dryer stew" as she says, but I reduced the liquid on the stove top a bit before dinner the next day (not really needed) and it was delicious.  I had it with her cauli-rice pilaf.

When I have duck fat I love to make tomato confit!  To die for!  Combine 3-4 quartered or 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes with 3-4 tbsp duck fat, salt and pepper to taste.  Cook for about an hour in a 300 degree oven until they get really soft and unguent.  These are so good over meat or squash noodles.  I can easily polish off a tray by themselves in one sitting!

Good luck with the cook-up tonight, I hope you get off early.  It really is nice to be prepped in advance for the next day or days!  And thanks for your words of encouragement, always nice to hear :P

You could simply cube and roast the squash in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes.  Tossed with a bit of that duck fat ;)  would be quite tasty.

I was thinking though, I make all my own cosmetics and have, in the past, made a beautiful body lotion with tallow.  It is incredibly good for your skin.  I could send you a few recipes if you are interested in going that direction with it.

You could simply cube and roast the squash in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes.  Tossed with a bit of that duck fat ;)  would be quite tasty.

I was thinking though, I make all my own cosmetics and have, in the past, made a beautiful body lotion with tallow.  It is incredibly good for your skin.  I could send you a few recipes if you are interested in going that direction with it.

Oh more lovely thoughts! I was doing some google searching and dumpling squash mashes well. I'm contemplating tossing them in the crockpot like I do all my other squash (thanks Susan...I'm like a junky now  :P ) and see what comes out. They might be a good change up for acorn squash with the coconut butter and raisins. 

I honestly don't use body lotion all that often and everytime I look at making my own body products I get frazzled. If you wanted to send me recipes I'll put them with my other information though for "someday" when I have "more time".  :rolleyes:

I think so. I generally don't buy mushrooms because I never cook them all and they go bad. The last time I was supposed to get them in my farm box they forgot to put them in. So 2 cups of mushrooms in 3 Tbs of duck fat in the oven on 300 for an hour? Adding mushrooms to my shopping list for Friday.

Archived