Physibeth's First Whole30 Log (finally!)

Physibeth

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 6 mile run this morning turned into a 4 mile run. Was just too hot. My happy running temps are between 45-65F and I do believe it was closer to 70 when I finished up. I think it is time to start making running the first thing I do in the morning and than meal 1. Means I need to figure out a pre-WO thing though. I'm not really keen on hard boiled eggs which I know is a favorite pre-WO meal. Maybe a fried egg or two and then have less eggs with my meal 1? I need to set up my cold brew coffee too I think. 

We have all the lights off in the office. I'm really glad I closed my blinds last night. Fan is on high.

Protein and fat are the goal for a pre WO snack so could you do a small chicken thigh and  avocado, I know you said you don't love them but it might be a good way to eat them.  Or even make a batch of chicken salad, the fat could be the mayo.  Lastly and I don't think I could do this at all but, sardines?  They have both fat and protein.  Ooooh, just thought too, poached eggs?  They last a few days in the fridge and you could simply reheat them with some ghee for the fat.

I have not tried dirty poo but I do use a homemade shampoo made with coconut milk and LOVE it.  I have thick curly hair (despite my profile pic) and need a lot of moisture.  Sometimes I will go days without washing cause my hair doesn't really get greasy and the curls just get happier the dirtier they are!  I did purchase some betonite clay though, to add to a baking soda mix for once a month cleansing.  I love products, they make me happy even when they are products I make :D

I think it's great that you like to run.  I wish I did, it seems like a great way to get cardio in.  I am concerned about my joint pain and running on concrete though.....and it's about 75% humidity and 98 degrees here during the summer.

Glad to hear it's a bit cooler in the office today!  Hopefully no swelling!

Hair stuff looks intriguing! I have a pretty bad, itchy flaky scalp and thick curly hair. I haven't washed it more than twice/week in over ten years (except maybe if I was running a lot way back when). I will run conditioner through it, but not wash more often. 

I've been thinking about the No Poo route, but I was also intrigued by Paleo Mom's discussion of a similar clay-based product. She loved it. Her hair looks fab. I just know that I'd have a really itchy head while my scalp adjusts. I do like the idea of using fewer chemicals. 

Beth, I'm just getting caught up. I love the race pics. You are awesome!

Your zoodles are gorgeous. Now I want a zoodler too! I'm jealous of all your food. I'm so not a cook but now wish I was.

Coconut milk shampoo sounds scrumptious! My hair is very thin and straight so tends more towards the oily side. I've actually not been conditioning it at all since I ran out of conditioner a couple months ago. Just been using my salon shampoo. My hair has been pretty staticy but otherwise fine. Yesterday my hair felt really greasy but my scalp wasn't itchy (like it was a couple days ago). Hopefully there is just an adjustment period while I figure out how this works for me. I'm not sure I worked in enough of the stuff when I washed it on Thursday.

Calee: Thanks! You know I've never been much of a cook either. Up until a few years after college my mother would tell me I was domestically challenged. My biggest cooking challenge is freestyling. I'm an engineer so recipes can rule my cooking and I get stuck sometimes if I have an ingredient I want to use or don't have an ingredient I "need" to use. I mostly cook a lot of different things because aside from breakfast I get easily bored and then I go a wandering for more food that I don't really need.

Day 20

Sleep: Despite how hot and humid it was here last night I got some pretty good sleep. Left the shades slightly open to let the air in. Feel asleep quickly. Woke twice just before midnight and around 5:30. At 5:30 I closed the shades all the way and slept until my alarm went off at 7. 8 hours total.

Meal 1: (7:20 am) 4 eggs scrambled in kale and garlic scape in coconut ghee, black coffee, bacon, raw fermented carrots

Exercise: (9:30 am) BodyPump Express with CXWORX - basically warm up, squats, chest, and back from pump and then a full cx class. OUCH! It is launch day so all new choreography too (BP 86, CX 11)

Meal 2: (12:10 pm) 2 grass fed hot dogs with mayo and mustard, pickle, carrot, fruit, coffee left from this morning blended with coconut milk.

Meal 3: (tbd) Tuna salad, not sure what with yet. Probably will make a green salad and some dressing.

Boss let me go home early yesterday so spent most of the afternoon/evening watching Buffy/Angel. Was still hot at home but at least I could lounge on the couch not worrying about how lady like I was sitting in my skirt because nobody there but me and the cats.  :P Husband got home and said he didn't want to go to a movie anymore.  :angry: We are going to go today I guess...in like 45 minutes or so. Was snacky last night and ate 2 pieces of bacon and 3 or 4 dried figs in addition to my dinner.  :ph34r: Babysitting for my friends' 2 and 5 year old this evening which should be fun. Would like to get some housework done. We'll see how hot it gets. Right now it actually isn't too awful. Have all the windows open which helps. Overall still feeling good. Noticed that the skirt I wore yesterday felt less snug around the hips than the first time I tried in on a few weeks ago. Felt strong in class today. Still dealing with some unusual acne on my forehead. 

Went to see "Man of Steel" with the hubster. I think Smallville spoiled me on Superman narratives because it is my favorite interpretation of the story so far. It was a good movie though. Lots of blowing stuff up and just enough drama to make you tear up a little. Plus it was nice and cold in the theater. 

Didn't eat carrot or fruit with my original meal 2. Had a sparkling water during the movie. Came home at 3:30 and was hungry again so I had another 2 hot dogs with mayo and mustard and 2 carrots. Now I'm drinking some booch. Feeling a little tired and trying to convince myself to at least attempt to clean the kitchen before I go babysit. Need to change out of skirt and into shorts I think. Need to make my dinner to take with me. Need to decide if I want to bring my laptop and working on my digital scrapbooking projects after the kiddos go to bed or just bring my book/magazine/kindle and read something.

Cats are all stretched out in cool places. I'm complaining about the heat but at least I don't have fur. 

Often times acne can be a sign of your body working out toxins.  If it is popping up in odd spots then you may be detoxing something.  Maybe dairy doesn't agree with you and your body is getting rid of all the remainders of it.  You are on day 19?  You could still be working out stuff. 

I just found out my local Y has a bodypump and cxworx class, I only have a pool membership but I may up it and start taking some classes.  I really want to do a pilates class as well.  I feel bad spending money on the membership when i have everything I need to do a proper workout at home, sometimes it's more motivating if I do it with a group though. 

Hope your weekend is going along nicely, enjoy that steak tonight!

I was trying to motivate myself to do weight training on my own and getting nowhere when I joined the gym and started taking BodyPump. So much more motivating for me and spending the money on the gym keeps me going there. I hope to teach BodyPump someday actually. I am getting stronger. As soon as I can do all the basic movements without modifications I'm going to sign up for training I think. My biggest limiting factor right now is body weight exercises. But I'm getting there!

I suppose I could be detoxing from dairy but I've given dairy up for 3-4 weeks before without this acne and the only dairy I had during my initial 30 day challenge was butter for cooking. I was reading something about acne on balanced bites and cutting grass fed butter can lead to skin problems. I have not been good about taking my cod liver oil/butter oil either. It's also been so hot and I've been sweating more and all this is popping up on my forehead. Only time will tell.

Day 21: 

Sleep: Another hot humid night. Got just shy of 8 hours of sleep. Woke up when hubster came home around 2am and when the sun came up just before 5am (when hubster got up to close the curtains). Feel asleep quickly (probably dozed a good 15-20 minutes while I was reading too)

Meal 1: (8 am) 4 eggs scrambled in kale in coconut ghee, black coffee, bacon, raw fermented carrots

Meal 2: (2pmsih) Pad Thai from Well Fed, fruit

Meal 3: (7pmish) Grass Fed Rib Eye Steak, sweet potato, broccoli, fruit?

Babysitting last night was fine. Kids went to bed easily and my friends got home around 8:30 so sat around talking with them for a while. They had been down to the lake after dinner and I made a comment about how hot I was and how jumping in the lake sounded lovely so my friend produced a swim suit for me and off we went. Lake Washington is wonderfully cold! Diving in felt so lovely! We chatted and did a couple of laps of side stroke and had a great time! Got home really late though so didn't get to bed until around 11. 

Not a cloud in the sky this morning! It's already 65 and it isn't even 9 am yet. So glad we have air conditioning at church! Attending service at 12:30 and then volunteering with the 1 year olds at the 4 pm service. Have all the windows open downstairs this morning trying to get the house cooler while I still can. Need to finish up a load of laundry and tame my kitchen before church. Would love to wash my car this morning, we will see if I have time but I'm guessing not. Maybe after dinner.

I think putting it on skin is fine. I want to try the oil cleansing method. I was using Aveno face wash in the shower in the morning for a long time but I stopped using that months and months ago when I ran out. I've had such non-tempermental skin for so much of my life that I do all sorts of horrible things like go to bed with my makeup on. I had one friend ask me what I do for my skin and when I told her next to nothing she was like "I love you but I kind of hate you right now".  :P

I guess we'll see if anything changes when I introduce dairy back in. I really don't feel like my allergies have been any better without dairy so I'm hoping to get my grass fed butter and raw cheese back.

I'm starting to re-think my original do 30 days, enjoy my brothers visit, and back to strict W30 for rest of July. I feel better than I did when I was off roading a lot but not necessarily any better than during my original 30 day challenge which was a little less strict. I may just do 3 strict days after my brother's visit and then start the reintroduction cycle. Dunno. I guess it will depend on how much I off road when my brother is here. I'm thinking I will just not fret over cooking oils etc when we eat out but otherwise eat to plan.

So much to think about in my busy little brain. Coffee is almost gone so I suppose I'll have to be productive soon.  :ph34r:

Your swim in the lake sounds divine! Reminded me of nice cold lake swims when I lived in Me, near good friends. Seriously sounds dreamy. Glad you jumped in.

I got weird breakouts during w30 too.

Good Lord it is hot! Was so nice to be in air conditioning most of the day. But now I'm home and it is hot. Probably doesn't help I have a laptop in my lap.  :ph34r:

Had a couple of slice of cantaloupe with my pad thai and a green iced tea from Starbucks but was still hungry so ate a chocolate coconut larabar I had in my purse. Very hungry now. Waiting for grilling time to be here. Making baked sweet potato fries despite the heat and I put my sweet dumpling squash in the slow cooker to have cooked for breakfast tomorrow morning. Will probably have some salad with my dinner as well.

Brought a pair of shorts to church with me that I had ordered but wasn't sure about and wanted a second opinion from a couple of my friends. When I put them on they felt looser than the last time I tried them on and my friends thought they looked fine. Yay as I bought 4 pairs. :P I think I have enough summer clothes that actually fit now to purge some of the stuff I put in my closet/drawer that was on the cusp of being too big now. I really shouldn't hang on to that stuff.  

Beth, think about becoming a BodyPump instructor is awesome! How cool is that!

I'm glad you've gotten clothes that it you. It so important. Yay on the shorts fitting better. At the end of last September my summer shorts were a bit snug. In April they were way snug. I'm delighted they fit comfortably again.

Yay Calee! I still have an entire bin of clothes that I was wearing before I got married (the last time I lost a lot of weight). I was able to pull some of them out but probably have 10-20 lbs to go on the rest. A lot of it depended on where things were cut. The day my wedding dress fits me again I might cry tears of joy. 

• Moderators

Wow. Congrats on your shrinkage! That's wonderful. It hasn't happened for me yet, but everyone else's success gives me hope.

I am an RPM instructor--got certified in 06 or 07, can't remember. Les Mills is a good outfit. I think Bodypump choreography would be easier to remember than some of the other classes. It's a great thing to aspire to. Good for you!!

I seriously  :wub: Les Mills! I could be a member of a gym that is less than a mile from my front door but they don't have Les Mills. So they don't have me.  :ph34r: Seriously I drove 30 minutes each way to go to pump/cx on Saturday. Just another reason I need to move to the city I work/go to the gym in. Just 3 more months in our lease.

The reshrinkage has been a long work in a process. After losing 80+ lbs and then gaining it all back after keeping it off over a year it took me about 3 years to figure out how to lose it again. That is what led me to the real food movement and eventually to Paleo. I seriously spent the time before that doing EXACTLY what I did to lose it the first time to no avail. 

This was me when I graduated college in 1999:

544944601_e40f8684fd_n.jpg
015_9A by Physibeth, on Flickr

Wedding day Oct 2008:

3041992358_a7bfefa8cf_n.jpg

3041163275_a854c89212_n.jpg

This one is from Aug 2011 right around the time I started getting serious about things again and started learning about real food.
9186670472_fb9167a643_n.jpg

So a long and varied journey. I'm hoping this is the last time I have to re-lose weight aside from the babies I hope to have soon. I sometimes wish I had learned about the Paleo lifestyle sooner and jumped on board sooner because this is by far the most sustainable way of eating I have ever attempted and I have attempted a lot.

Day 22:

Sleep: Not so great last night. I attempted to sleep with the air conditioner on which did not go well. It is just way too loud. So once the room was nice and cool and it looked about even with the temperature outside I turned off the AC and opened all the windows again and that was pleasant. Also slept with the air purifier in our room last night (another bit of noise) and that helped me wake up a lot less congested than I usually do though I did still have a sneezing fit while making my coffee. I think I need to go purchase another one of those to have one upstairs and downstairs. I also think I'm going to go upstairs and close all the windows and turn on the AC at around 5 or 6 pm tonight so that it gets cool and I can just shut it off, reopen the windows, and go to bed. Got 6.5 hours of sleep. Woke up a lot and was awake for over an hour including the time I was trying to go to sleep with the AC on. 

Pre-WO: (7am) 2 eggs fried in bacon fat, 1/2 cup of black coffee

Exericse: (7:30am) 5 mile easy run - much more pleasant earlier in the morning but still warm

Meal 1: (9am) 2 eggs fried in bacon fat, sweet dumpling squash with coconut butter, raisins, & cinnamon, coffee blended with light coconut milk and raw cocoa powder, raw fermented carrots (this meal I ate slowly over the course of almost 2 hours)

Meal 2:  (tbd) Rogan Josh w/ spaghetti squash, salad

Meal 3: (tbd) Chinese BBQ Pork, bok choy, carrots

Don't have a lot to do at work today and the ac is still busted so I'm "working" from home. Waiting for more instruction from my boss. Been kind of a slow morning. Wearing my new shorts today. They are purple.  :wub:

Need to read a chapter in my book before women's bible study tonight and want to do some chores. I should probably do the chores before it gets much hotter in here. 

The steak last night was awesome! Thanks Liz for the marinade recipe! Forgot to eat my broccoli. Played some Magic Online with my husband after dinner. Left the back door wide open even though it has no screen because it was so much cooler that way.

Tomorrow morning I have to wait for my produce (early delivery because of the holiday) so I will go to evening BodyPump. I might get out and work on weeding the back bank in the "cool" of the morning.

I struggle with AC vs open windows vs noise vs allergies, too.  Does sleeping with open windows make your allergies worse?  Does the air purifier help with that?  I may have to get one if so.  My husband likes to open the windows on cooler nights, but I always feel awful in the morning. 

I find that the open windows are worth it but the husband suffers more and fights me on it a little. I thought the air purifier did help. I also have dust allergies and have been very lazy about cleaning lately so hopefully catching up on that will help me. All that said my allergies have not been bad enough to drive me to medication this year and for that I thank my diet. I wish I could get my husband on board as I know he would feel better. Someday maybe.

Archived