July 1 Start Date - Who's with Me?!

mamaxt

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I.did Whole 30 to lose weight and become healthy. I also wanted to see how different my body would feel with zero grains (vs limited whole grains) and zero dairy. I was already a good cook and I already knew the benefits.of.coconut and healthy fats, I'm just amazed at how incorporating them.into.every meal.helps.curb hunger and cravings. I also like being more.mindful of what I put in my body. I'm also happy to report that it is Much easier to not lick my fingers now when prepare pb and j or.something! A nonclassy gross habit and I'm happy to.be rid of it!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know what you mean about that non classy gross habit of finger licking. I made a Tiramisu on Thursday and couldn't count the number of times I had to wash my fingers. But the first instinct was to lick!

Must add that I went out for dinner last night and had a meal straight from the menu. Lamb cutlets crusted with pistachio on a bed of sweet potato mash with bok choy, asparagus and tomato. Guess where I'll be going for my next restaurant meal?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Must add that I went out for dinner last night and had a meal straight from the menu. Lamb cutlets crusted with pistachio on a bed of sweet potato mash with bok choy, asparagus and tomato. Guess where I'll be going for my next restaurant meal?

@Mimiigo! So jealous. All of my restaurant meals have been total bombs so far...

Wow, that sounds wonderful. Lucky you. I'd love to go out for a meal with my husband but I think if I did it would be the dullest meal ever. I'd love an option like that!

Ventured into my favorite Thai restaurant with a good friend and her family this evening. Ordered my favorite dish. Green curry, extra veggies, hold the rice. I know that this dish is gluten free, I also requested that it be sugar free... I'm hoping I did ok with this order. It didn't quite taste the same without the palm sugar in it, but it was still good. Took a couple bites of my sons chicken satay (minus the peanut sauce) and now I'm wondering if maybe that was a bad idea??? I know that their satay is gluten free because I've asked on more than one occasion, since my son can't have gluten. 

Had a good day today. I finally got some exercise in, and spent a lovely evening with my friend and her mom and sister, who are visiting from Austria. We did a 3rd Friday Art Walk. I'm feeling rather pleasant. Good food, good people.

So,,, I know none of you know me so looking at a picture of me now might not be all that instructive, but this picture was taken on Tuesday morning and I was kind of shocked. I can really see a difference in my waist since, maybe, a month ago and I think a lot of it has happened in the last 19 days. As you can tell my clothes are too big...pretty much all my clothes are too big. This picture was taken on a trail that is pretty physically demanding (we're at the upper, "easy" end in this photo) that I wouldn't have dared to even attempt a year ago. A year ago I could just about make it from the parking lot to the observation area. I attached another picture for comparison..taken on October 25, 2012...less than a month after I started changing my life. (We were trying to get the mastodon, not me, which is why its from so far away.)

But you get the picture. 

Paleo rocks. :) 

post-32082-0-31020900-1374283298_thumb.j

post-32082-0-40451000-1374283520_thumb.j

@mrs Robinson, that is some transformation. You must be delighted with yourself. Obviously this lifestyle suits you, go forth and conquer :)

@chessjeck, I think 'good food, good people' is the perfect combination! It sounds like you had a lovely time.

Because of the food options, not my husband ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I eat out frequently, have been gluten-free for over 6 years and as result of my June  W30, am now avoiding dairy, corn, soy and non-gluten grains. You can eat out pretty decently: it's part picking the right places, researching the menu online ahead of time, and being clear with the server on what you can/cannot have. In the past month I've enjoyed wild salmon, tuna, monkfish, steak, mussels and cod on my dining out advetures, all cooked compliant, and all with vegetables appropriately cooked. I've found that places that cook to order and offer gluten-free menus  are my best bet.

@mrs Robinson, that is some transformation. You must be delighted with yourself. Obviously this lifestyle suits you, go forth and conquer :)

<><><><><><>

I've got a good ways to go yet, but it definitely encourages once in a while to think about how far I've already come. I just showed that October picture to my husband and he said "Wow." These two photos represent probably close to a 75 lb loss. Was saying goodbye to pizza and nachos and macaroni and cheese worth this? You bet. :) 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I eat out frequently, have been gluten-free for over 6 years and as result of my June  W30, am now avoiding dairy, corn, soy and non-gluten grains. You can eat out pretty decently: it's part picking the right places, researching the menu online ahead of time, and being clear with the server on what you can/cannot have. In the past month I've enjoyed wild salmon, tuna, monkfish, steak, mussels and cod on my dining out advetures, all cooked compliant, and all with vegetables appropriately cooked. I've found that places that cook to order and offer gluten-free menus  are my best bet.

Living in the west of Ireland makes this a little less straightforward, no problem getting compliantly cooked fish but I think to find anything more exotic would be a push. I'm sure it can be done but I'm going to wait until I'm finished my whole30 .. We intend to go Paleo then and I would feel less put out if I had to loosen my restrictions to include butter, seed oils etc for one meal.

Hello, I started on July 1st too...unfortunately without being part of this blog ;(  My skin looks good clear and healthy but the clothes..are still just as tight...grrrr.    Also I still have sugar craving especially when exhausted, so I usually indulge in fruits.... Maybe also became in the process a sweetpotatolic.  Must stay clear of the fruits the Whole last 10. Anyone has suggestions in regards to curbing the cravings?

Thanks

~~~

I've been mostly paleo-ish since last August. It wasn't something I sought out, but in trying to track down the sources of my physical ailments (sinus congestion, breakouts, dermatographism, painful depressions on my tongue, arthritis pain in my hands, severe seasonal allergies, etc), I discovered that the sources of most of my ills were wheat, corn, soy, and dairy (all in even the most miniscule amounts), so what I was left with resembled a loose paleo diet. And in the high-pollen months, I cut out all grains, as even white rice set off my allergies.

Feeling sorry for myself for all the tasty delights I could no longer eat, I took solace in the few junk foods still "allowed" by my body: dark chocolate and potato chips. I ate those in disgusting quantities, especially in the evenings after dinner. I also had a frightening dependence on Coke Zero.

As a result, I have probably 15 pounds to lose. I tried Weight Watchers, but it was very frustrating to not only severely limit the types of food I could eat but also to strictly limit the amount. If I stuck to the amount limits, then I started eating more foods that affected me badly just to make up for it! I never felt satisfied, physically or mentally. Overall, I lost about 5 pounds in 6 months, and in the process I got a lot less strict with my diet - and I suffered the physical consequences for every bad food choice I made.

So for me, the Whole30 is an attempt to break my Coke Zero addiction, eliminate (or substantially reduce) my evening snacking habit, completely cut out all of the foods that I KNOW give me problems so that I can finally feel well, and - hopefully - lose some fat.

As of today, day 18, I feel like I've got a good grip on those first three. I have no idea if I'm making any progress on the last one. (I suspect not, as my clothes aren't fitting any differently.) Only time will tell.

Hello, my struggles are a bit similar.  I managed to cut the Diet Coke addiction really well, the porridge and other breads too... the evening snacking not at all... And I suspect that i replace an indulgence food by another...so do not seem to have gotten rid of the sugar dragon= fruits and sweet potato...grr.  Clothes definitely fit the same. If you have any tip about reducing the evening snacking habit please, it would be great, have difficulties with sumoning will power when I am tired.

I chose to do the Whole30 to further refine and improve my food. I stopped wheat and sugar September 2012 and have lost 65 pounds as of June 30, but my loss rate slowed way down and I know it was because I had, over time, gotten careless with my milk intake...I'd been consuming it very judiciously but got less and less careful and I was using way too much half and half and cheese, which I figured contributed to my weight loss slowing to a crawl. I was 'technically compliant' with my food rules but not eating as well as I should. I came into this wanting to eat more vegetables, to set dairy aside for time and see if it made a difference in the way I felt (and it certainly has), and get things moving again, which I suspect they have. 

The other thing I wanted to do was reconsider my relationship with food, to look at whether I was still using it as medicine, or a cure for boredom, or anxiousness, or any of the other things it isn't really for. I've done some writing and just being still during this month to think about those things, some 'forest bathing', as Mark Sisson calls it, and I've decided that I will do another 30 in September. I like the idea of an every other month mindful practice. 

Hello, I started on July 1st, but still have the sugar cravings (fruits and nuts) ...Do you???

Hello, joined W30 on July 1st.  Just finished reading the recommended by W30  book about Habits (great read) It says that to write about your doing and goals as well as sharing them in a community where among the biggest steps to take to achieve success... So ... better late than never! ^_^   I enjoyed reading your posts, Thank you.

Why I joined the Whole 30

-insomnia (started the CalMag last night)

-IBS or some intolerances linking to bad skin and bloating

-History of yoyo and eating disorder=>find comfort and solace in food when low self-esteem, boredom, tiredness or the 3 combined

-Stopped eating chocolate, sweets, cookies and ice creams in December 2012  (makes life easier as it is not a question of choice now but just do) No change in weight though  as must have increased intake in porridge and cheese ....

-July 1st, stopped eating diary and "breads ++".  Have huge cravings as have a history of turning to food foe comfort especially when tired... But have fruits (berries) and a new found relationship with sweet potatoes... So could not restrict myself to 3 meals a day and whilst not scoffing...clothes are still as tight...

-On the positive, have good skin, no more bloating (took the W30 onions and broccolis off my approved llst too)

_On the negative... a bit :( ref clothes just as tight, Blueberry/rasperry and sweet potato dragons still reigning supreme.

Et voilà!!   Good wishes from sunny London!

Hello, I started on July 1st, but still have the sugar cravings (fruits and nuts) ...Do you???

Honestly, I don't. But I have been sugar free since September. I have been told by friends that struggle with sugar cravings that they have had a great success with L-glutamine as a supplement, you may want to look into that. It seems to quiet those cravings. I am very strict with even sugar substitute that is too much like sugar (xylitol, for instance) because I find that I am capable of overusing it in the same way. I have had a disordered relationship with sugar my whole life so I don't do any "off roading" with it.

It gets better. I promise.

So...is anyone else completely sick of cooking?

No, but I'm sick of using cutlery all the time :D ... I'd like an 'idle' meal on the couch

Big discovery for me, maybe I'm coming late to the party, but today I made banana 'ice-cream' and WOW. I added a a tsp of cocoa powder and the results were astonishingly good. Definitely SWYPO but Its worth the occasional risk ;)

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-creamy-ice-cream-w-93414

Day 22 for me and I'm really enjoying this process. I'm enjoying sumptuous meals, exploring new tastes, oblivious to the cupboards and free of diet coke. Now that's something to sing about.

Archived