July 1 Start Date - Who's with Me?!

mamaxt

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time to slay the Blerch! http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

Oh that's a bit sad :(  .. I'd hate to spend my life running away from the blerch (esp. if my toenails are at risk!).

No Tiger Blood* here either but I definitely feel great. After Sundays shakey day I realise that this programme is not infallible and that there will still be days that it feels like a chore rather than a way of life. But that said, I absolutely love how I feel eating this way and I hope that I will go on into the future mindful of it. Myself and my husband will take a 'break' for a couple of weeks as we will be holidaying in France soon after this ends. Then we have decided to return to another whole30 while he gets his weight into check and afterwards we plan to stay paleo in as much as we can. I really think this is the way to go.

*am I overthinking Tiger Blood? I don't have many cravings and I have tons of energy, maybe that is exactly what it is?

*am I overthinking Tiger Blood? I don't have many cravings and I have tons of energy, maybe that is exactly what it is?

That's exactly the reaction I had yesterday. I'm a little distracted, sad even, but I do have lots of big life things going on, so just a little sad is actually much better than usual. And I'm sleeping lots, but it is winter here, so that's perfectly normal. Then I remembered my performance in my barre classes - I think this is where my tiger blood is coming through! I'm even going to attempt to step it up on the weekend again - 3kg weights and leg weights! Eek! Lets see how I go...

A few months ago, I bought a Zumba game for my Wii. I tried it once and quit because I felt stupid and like I'd never be able to keep up.

The last couple of nights, though, I danced around like an idiot and felt great doing it. ^^ Definitely have energy like I haven't had before, and feeling good. I think this is tiger blood? Not having to think about the food choices and feeling good about being active, instead of it feeling like a chore.

Got home late from work today and didn't feel like cooking, but luckily I had enough leftovers in the fridge for dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow. Yay lazy night! :D

I'm having a "why am I doing this again?" moment. 

I"m not sure if I'm hungry or just craving something sweet. I was hungry after dinner but it seems to have subsided between tea and club soda, so it's hard to say. Basically, I am confused and slightly stressed by this. I'm worried I'm not seeing results. My clothes feel no different and my belly doesn't look any flatter than it did on day 6 or 7. 

I'm having a "why am I doing this again?" moment. 

I"m not sure if I'm hungry or just craving something sweet. I was hungry after dinner but it seems to have subsided between tea and club soda, so it's hard to say. Basically, I am confused and slightly stressed by this. I'm worried I'm not seeing results. My clothes feel no different and my belly doesn't look any flatter than it did on day 6 or 7. 

Its pretty hot in TO at the moment isn't it? The heat gets to me a bit, when it gets up over 35oC. Try not to panic. Or think about all the weight you must be sweating off!

We had a couple of days over 40 in January (unusual for where I live) and my other half and I did a few weird dinners - combinations of raw veggies, fruit, cheese (this was pre-W30) and lots of iced tea. I remember one day was so hot we ended up sitting on the floor of the hall right near the front door as that side of the house was cooler at that time, nibbling away on bits and the occasional cube of ice! Just eat whatever is comfortable (and within guidelines). I find I can tolerate raw food much better in the heat.

That comic was outstanding, thanks. I feel like I had a little bit of a tantrum today, at the same time I am noticing real change... I think it's the heat. I'm going to take some time to plan some simple, cool meals for the next few days until our heatwave breaks.

Oh. My. Word. If I make it through the weekend I will say I have done a seriously good job of this W30 gig, mainly from rising above almost unbelievable tests of my W30 stamina, tiger blood, whatever the heck you want to call it and organisational skills.

Madly packing now for a flight early tomorrow and will be gone in total 3 days (Friday/Sat/Sun)  home Sunday evening. I'm flying to a regional area and to say the food (and shopping choices) will be limited is an understatement. There is a restaurant attached to the hotel I'm staying at but I'm suss about it (my work failed to come up with the goods after I asked for self catering facilities-I wanted a kitchen, I have a microwave...sigh...) so basically, I'm cooking and taking what I can including an entire cooked organic chook (in oven now), some of those seaweed wrapped beef and avocado things for lunch tomorrow, smoked salmon and avocado, I have some of those sealed packs of cooked salmon, a few packs of prosciutto, some nuts and am just going to have to wing it with that and other stuff (tinned salmon?) bought from the supermarket there-mainly sealed packs of salad leaves but will buy some EVOO there for my fats. Nightmare really. Also a bit concerned what they may say in the airport about food substances I'm going to have to pack in my suitcase, ah well, at least I'm not flying interstate where they get a bit funny about food. Wish me luck I am very nervous about how it will pan out.

Born Sandy - I did a trip to Perth before my whole 30 started, but I knew I wasn't going to be able to find gluten/grain free lunch options (my biggest food trigger, I'm mildly gluten sensitive as it turns out) or have them provided, so I packed them. And I could only take carry on! Tins of salmon and all! I think you should be right with food, and they've even taken the domestic restriction off liquids too, so you should be ok. The only quarantine things I know of is no fresh fruit/veggies going into TAS, and there's a few restrictions on things going into WA (honey is one) but otherwise you should be ok.

Yesterday was Day 17.  I wrote a thoughtful post about it but somehow got logged out before it posted.  Grrr.

Bottom line: Dining out is a challenge.  There are hidden nasties all over the place, and servers don't necessarily know as much as they should about their product and how it's prepared.

Lessons:

Refresh the emergency rations I keep in my car.

If yesterday was bad, plan for today with extra care.

Forgive thyself and thy server when mistakes are made.  As they say, excrement occurs.

Be grateful avoiding soy/dairy/legumes/etc. is a choice rather than compelled by medical necessity.  30 days is a challenge, but a lifetime?  Ugh.

Why did you do the Whole30?  

@Chris74 - I like this!  Well timed question and nips a lot in the bud... I don't think that any of us should lose sight of our initial motivation and what our goals were (and still might be) when we first made the decision to commit to this W30 journey. 

In reading over some of the recent posts, it appears as though some of us might be losing a little bit of 'steam' or are getting a bit frustrated.  It's always good to remind ourselves that a lot of times the most beneficial things are things that we have to work harder for but, those are also the things that we tend to cherish longer.  Stay the course everyone and we will all reap the rewards we are in search of.  I'm so excited to be on Day 18 and am still going strong and have no regrets.  I can say that I can't remember the last time I had a craving for anything (including my nemesis... ice cream... AND, it's crazy hot/humid in AZ right now).  I also appreciate the fact that I can look forward to black coffee or bulletproof coffee and don't even miss my previous concoctions that usually included a dash of cream and sometimes sweetener.  It's empowering actually.  My recommendation for those who are struggling a little is to take a moment and review the past (insert number) days and focus on one major positive change that you've noticed or experienced and draw strength from that and remind yourself there are still many victories yet to come your way.  Moment by moment... just get through each moment and come back here and get some encouragement or just to vent and let off some steam and then face the next moment a little stronger.  =)  Have a blessed day everyone!  =))

Agreed! Great question, Chris. Not everyone has shared or reiterated their initial goals/motivations lately. Time for a refresh! 

I did a Whole30 because I've struggled with crippling fibromyalgia symptoms for the past year. I needed to ditch the aches and pains, plus chronic fatigue and depression that are associated with fibro. So far, so good! I'm off my medication for the depression and no longer feel like my body is going to break every time I move. Some aches are still present (in my knees and feet especially), but overall the improvement and added energy have made me very happy. 

Sure, I needed to lose weight (lots of it, in fact), but I was looking for more general health when I decided to do a W30. I do plan to continue with a strict paleo diet after my Whole30 is over. I never want to feel the way I'd been feeling over the last 9 months again. If I can feel great AND have a leaner body, that's even better. 

For me, it wasn't the "I am training for the one marathon I feel the need to do and then never do it again", I am a strong believer in continually cutting out things I don't/shouldn't need.  I TRY to have this zen buddhist outlook on things... try being the key word but that's okay.  Doing the Whole30 for me was really about gaining momentum for removing some of the dirty aspects of my diet or things I could probably do better with out.

The big ones were Diet Soda, which still was only occasional and mixed dried fruit (lol) some really horrible things right? ;-) It was more a push to cook more and be more cognizant of what I haphazardly pick up and eat (kid's Pirate Booty).  There was never a question of giving in to cravings, or not being able to do it, I'd be more surprised if I'd have a hiccup than if I couldn't do it strictly for the 30 days.

I guess what i am saying is, springboard from this, don't let it be the one marathon you felt you needed to run and then put the running shoes back in the closet.  If it's just 30 days of torture, reevaluate.  Let's gain some things going forward and not just a badge for 30 days of hating not being able to eat something.  I say this bc I was wondering is this just yo-yo dieting?  Are we going to pack a 6 pack of diet coke and dried cranberries down our gullets on August 1st?  If so, then what did I accomplish in July?

2012-08-02-happiness.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reason I'm doing W30 is to see if it will eliminate or at least lessen the arthritis pain that's been getting progressively worse, especially in the last 6 months or so. But then to compound that I currently have protrusions on 2 back discs and have been on bed rest for all of the W30 time. So now I'm not sure if my pain is caused by the arthritis or the back problem.

However, I have to report that I haven't taken the strong pain killers and stuff to make me sleep for a week now, and yesterday and today I've reduced my arthritis meds. This is a great result for me. I think W30 is working towards healing the spinal protrusions much more quickly, and although I still have symptoms they are greatly reduced. Physio said it would take 6-12 months to fully recover, but at the rate I'm going I'm sure it will be much less. I still can't exercise apart from the 10 minute pool walks, but I'm hoping next week I'll get started on some serious rehab.

I also feel as though I've been sleeping much better the last couple of nights. I'm amazed that I can spend half the day in bed and still get a good night's sleep.

Haven't experienced any tiger juice - but I think if there's any in the system it is being channelled into healing energy.

I'm planning on doing W60 to give my body the best possible fuel to heal itself. I need to start making some of those yummy sounding sauces and meals in yesterday's W30 email. My cooking is getting a bit boring and if I'm going to extend this out another 30 days, then I need to jazz thing up a bit.

Losing some inches is of course a bonus too! Am fitting into some things that I haven't worn for a couple of years. So very pleased about that too.

For me.... this is pretty easy.  I did it back in August 2012 and it changed my life.  I had been eating soft paleo for a while before that and needed to re-dedicate and W30 was a great way to accomplish this.  Cutting dairy from my life was the big change and eliminating artificial sweeteners was also big.  I have learned that for me, grains and sugar are an addiction.  I have to find a way to be very, very strict with these substances.

This time, I plan on doing a W45, W60 or maybe W90.  I have screwed up re-introduction twice.  In my head, I wonder about eating this way for the rest of my life.  Could my marrage survive this?

I love this way of eating and I have no issues with saying "no" or special ordering when I go out but it is not just my decision.  What and how I eat impacts my wife and kids.  For me finding a ballance that works for me and for my family is key and my next critical mission.  Fortuately, my wife has recently moved over to much more paleo-friendly ways of thinking and eating.  We will find a longer term solution that works for us but my running shoes will never get dusty in my in the corner of my closet.  I will continue to work hard at making more and more health improvements in my life and W30 will be a tool in my toolbox that I use on a regular basis to get back on track (when I need it).

Cheers

DJ

I have multiple reasons for doing the W30:

* Clean up the 'diet' (used to be strict paleo then gradually slipped other things in)

* Overall well-being

* Clarity of mind

* Extended energy

* Gain strength in the gym & for my running (yes, I have a marathon in October however; I do not train for just one and move on to other things... I repeatedly do various half / full marathons throughout the year and have been for multiple years... I would just like to see if a W90 provides me with even better results)

I don't view this as a yo-yo diet for myself.  I was super clean and well-balanced for quite a few years when I first discovered Paleo through my first CrossFit box.  The past several months however I have allowed some slippage in the plan and have suffered the negative consequences of it.  I used the W30 'challenge' as just a kickstart for returning to my previous clean eating ways and have tightened it up quite a bit more.  I don't wish to add anything back to my diet except for the occassional piece of quality dark chocolate IF I so choose to have it.  I don't desire any of the crap that I allowed back in the last time.  I am very content and impressed with the changes (especially the internal ones) I have been experiencing since starting our journey.  It hasn't been hard giving up the sugar, wheat, soy, dairy, etc... and it didn't take me much by way of adapting to the program.  I'm a results motivated individual... upon experiencing positive results, I'm motivated to continue on the same path. I also like knowing that I'm showing more respect to my body by not allowing the other crap anywhere near it. 

Regarding my running efforts - I'm not one of those obsessive runners who strictly adhere to a running regimen requiring (insert number) long runs, tempo runs, hill runs, etc, for each (or really any) marathon I participate in.  My CrossFit training in addition to some weekend and mid-week runs which vary between 3 - 10 miles is what I rely on and seems to work well for me since I have yet (knock on wood) to suffer any injuries as a result of my hobby.  I am not a competitive racer, I do it for the sense of accomplishment it provides me and for the mere pleasure in appreciating that my body is able to do it.  If I ever reach the point where I no longer enjoy it, I will simply move on but, until then... I am staying calm and running on.  =)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Several reasons:

- â€‹To increase the amount of vegetables I eat on a regular basis.  I like vegetables, but got out of the habit of eating them often.

- To stop the mindless snacking in front of the TV at night after dinner.

- Stop snacking on bad stuff (e.g., cheese, 1/2 a bag of M&Ms)

- If it could get me past my 2 pm daily slump, that would be a bonus

- If it could help me sleep better, that would be a bonus

- If I lost some weight (esp belly fat), that would be a bonus

~~~

I've been mostly paleo-ish since last August. It wasn't something I sought out, but in trying to track down the sources of my physical ailments (sinus congestion, breakouts, dermatographism, painful depressions on my tongue, arthritis pain in my hands, severe seasonal allergies, etc), I discovered that the sources of most of my ills were wheat, corn, soy, and dairy (all in even the most miniscule amounts), so what I was left with resembled a loose paleo diet. And in the high-pollen months, I cut out all grains, as even white rice set off my allergies.

Feeling sorry for myself for all the tasty delights I could no longer eat, I took solace in the few junk foods still "allowed" by my body: dark chocolate and potato chips. I ate those in disgusting quantities, especially in the evenings after dinner. I also had a frightening dependence on Coke Zero.

As a result, I have probably 15 pounds to lose. I tried Weight Watchers, but it was very frustrating to not only severely limit the types of food I could eat but also to strictly limit the amount. If I stuck to the amount limits, then I started eating more foods that affected me badly just to make up for it! I never felt satisfied, physically or mentally. Overall, I lost about 5 pounds in 6 months, and in the process I got a lot less strict with my diet - and I suffered the physical consequences for every bad food choice I made.

So for me, the Whole30 is an attempt to break my Coke Zero addiction, eliminate (or substantially reduce) my evening snacking habit, completely cut out all of the foods that I KNOW give me problems so that I can finally feel well, and - hopefully - lose some fat.

As of today, day 18, I feel like I've got a good grip on those first three. I have no idea if I'm making any progress on the last one. (I suspect not, as my clothes aren't fitting any differently.) Only time will tell.

Archived