July 1 Start Date - Who's with Me?!

mamaxt

There's an easy way to stay on point, you need ATP to move your muscles.  That's the necessity of food.  Somewhere along the way emotions are attached, food is given the power of giving you good feelings.  It's not real, it's created by marketing and the mind.  My breakfast and lunch are the same exact thing ever day, I find zero boredom with providing my body exactly what it needs to do the real important things in life.  

I can't disregard that my work buys my breakfast and lunch and it's ready for me, that makes it much easier to do no doubt.  But hard boil a dozen eggs and get a cantelope, there's breakfast for almost a week and go from there.  You can make dinners count moreso if need be but always remember, food is just a source of energy.  Getting caught up in cooking chicken 20 different paleo ways is a surefire way to give up.  

I liken it to the P90x crowd, do you know anyone who was completely out of shape and then completed the entire thing as perscribed?  I'd day 99% of the time the answer is no.  Why?  Because there's simple ways to get strong but all the noobs want to skip the tried and true methods and do the all out zany way.  If you couldn't find it in yourself to squat, press and deadlift before what makes you think you're gonna be able to watch a DVD of p90x or the like?  Same thing with food, imo, keep it simple, keep in mind why ultimately your eating.

And stop watching kitchen nightmare, those people couldn't cook toast

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, cravings are getting to me also.

It's hot this week and all I want is homemade ice cream. At least I want something that I made vs. store bought that has extra crap in it! 

I'm struggling with how I want to move forward after the 30 days are done. I have a baking blog, and while I have not baked for the blog this month, I know come August I will resume baking and posting recipes...that will include sugar and flour. I need to be happy with one bite and walk away and then make sure the rest of the food I eat is good and clean. I am sure there will be more Whole 30's while I figure out a compromise!

What if you take a new turn in your blog, Heather, and start making baked goods based on a paleo diet? This could give you new challenges in the kitchen while still keeping you healthy.  :rolleyes: That said, I'd personally wait until after your reintroduction period is over before venturing into this uncharted territory. It doesn't seem fair to you to be making lots of foods for the benefit of others that you can't have (or can only have one taste of). Maybe you'll find after your W30 is over that there are things you can and can't have. Base your baking on those that you can if possible. 

My kids love to have a small bowl (1/4 cup) of chocolate chips while they watch tv after dinner. My daughter thinks I'm weird because I want to smell her chocolate chips. LOL  Yeah, I'm craving them. Haven't given in yet, though.  15 days to go!

There's an easy way to stay on point, you need ATP to move your muscles.  That's the necessity of food.  Somewhere along the way emotions are attached, food is given the power of giving you good feelings.  It's not real, it's created by marketing and the mind.  My breakfast and lunch are the same exact thing ever day, I find zero boredom with providing my body exactly what it needs to do the real important things in life.  

I can't disregard that my work buys my breakfast and lunch and it's ready for me, that makes it much easier to do no doubt.  But hard boil a dozen eggs and get a cantelope, there's breakfast for almost a week and go from there.  You can make dinners count moreso if need be but always remember, food is just a source of energy.  Getting caught up in cooking chicken 20 different paleo ways is a surefire way to give up.  

I liken it to the P90x crowd, do you know anyone who was completely out of shape and then completed the entire thing as perscribed?  I'd day 99% of the time the answer is no.  Why?  Because there's simple ways to get strong but all the noobs want to skip the tried and true methods and do the all out zany way.  If you couldn't find it in yourself to squat, press and deadlift before what makes you think you're gonna be able to watch a DVD of p90x or the like?  Same thing with food, imo, keep it simple, keep in mind why ultimately your eating.

And stop watching kitchen nightmare, those people couldn't cook toast

Chris

Have I mentioned that I am doing P90X (for the third time) and I am aslo an Insanity, Asylum, TurboFire and even Brazil Butt Lift Grad!!!

There are many reasons but maybe I will do a longer post later.

Cheers

DJ

Chugging along here, I've had the odd transient temptation but nothing I'd call a craving, though I find that I want greens more than I ever did before. Making dinner now, never thought I'd be excited about a burger dressed with sautéed mushrooms and red peppers served on a bed of wilted spinach, but I am. Thinking about the things that I don't intend to add back after this month. Wheat and sugar were gone months ago and will stay gone. Artificial sweetener is gone for good. And I'm finding that I like my coffee black, hot or cold. Like the taste and the simplicity of it.

Made it through week two, and even this past weekend traveling. Busy week ahead, but I think I can do this. This weekend my book club meets, and it will be a challenge to resists goodies and alcohol and unapproved food. I'm definitely sleeping better, and I am not getting as hungry between meals.

I'm still with you all! I've enjoyed reading every post and getting lots of good info. So far I've stayed 100% compliant. I am so so happy not to have crazy cravings and more control now. That was one of my first goals, was to get control of my eating habits. Eat to live not live to eat sort of thing. So happy! I'm struggling a bit with an anemia problem, so my energy is still low, but I certainly feel more even throughout the whole day. Thanks all for your tips and encouragement, it is truly helpful!

I am restarting today  :wacko: No excuses I need to be fair to myself and my body! You all are wonderful with support! I am going to post on the July 15th thread now too,because I am starting over. Its hard to admit failure but there it is!  :ph34r:

It sounds like you all are doing fairly well! I am envious! I am committed to me and refuse to take this as a complete failure! I am sure I am going to have a breakthrough this time! Committed to my future.

So....

How do you handle set backs and how do you get past this mindset of failure when you let yourself down?  

---------------------------------------

Call yourself a failure! I don't think so!!! You are a super hero Stumbling along the way isn't called failure, it's a common human condition. It's what we do after the stumble that counts, and the quicker we acknowledge the stumble and dust ourselves off the quicker we achieve our goals. Not that I personally believe in goal setting tho. I believe we all have a deep seated desire to be the best we can and sometimes that means we focus on a particular area of life for a while until we satisfy that desire. Sometimes it's to do with fitness and health, other times its to do with our job and the way we earn a living, sometimes it's to do with family and friends… and its usually a bit jumbled up. The list is endless, but you get the drift. So go start again with the W30. Great job!!!! And keep in touch.

So I had a total brain fart at the grocery store Sunday. I was all excited about my stuffed chicken breasts...and got chicken tenders instead of breasts. D'oh! I'll probably end up doing a skillet meal with the tenders and veggies.

Did anyone do anything special to celebrate Day 15? I ordered Well Fed & a jar of ghee. :D

The cravings seem to have subsided for me today. Maybe because it's so hot out. Today a made a hot plate...kind of...from Well Fed. I used the stir fry sauce in the book, The Best Chicken Ever and just a bunch of veggies all tossed together. It was really good and now I have chicken for the week. 

I'm only on Day 13 so no big milestones to celebrate yet. I'm glad today wasn't unbearable though. 

Oh and I also did a weight workout and my energy was good. 

Congratulations to all those that completed Day 15! Woo! Halfway! 

I, too , am still with you. Still compliant. Been needing to mix things up, need more variety in my food.

So here's one thing that's working for me: Try to get at least 5 different textures/colors/foods on my plate at each meal. For example, sauteed ground pork, mini sweet pepper cut in half (like a boat or shell to fill), sweet potato, lettuce pieces, cherry tomatoes, green olives. The variety of flavors and textures makes this incongruous selection of foods work quite well together. 

I could stand to learn more about spices, esp when to add them and which ones bring flavor in which combinations. I thought that heating them in the oil of a hot pan would do it, but maybe I'm trying the wrong ones. Then little odd things affect flavor too, like buying different kinds of onion. I chop up an onion or two at my cookup to use on my daily saute's. But boy do I prefer the vidalia or sweet onions, and no garlic for me, just not as nice of a flavor my taste.

On another note, strange dream of eating an oily microwavable cupcake last night. It tasted awful and then I was trying to rationalize not having to start over. Oh boy.

hooray for half way there!

I, too , am still with you. Still compliant. Been needing to mix things up, need more variety in my food.

So here's one thing that's working for me: Try to get at least 5 different textures/colors/foods on my plate at each meal. For example, sauteed ground pork, mini sweet pepper cut in half (like a boat or shell to fill), sweet potato, lettuce pieces, cherry tomatoes, green olives. The variety of flavors and textures makes this incongruous selection of foods work quite well together. 

I could stand to learn more about spices, esp when to add them and which ones bring flavor in which combinations. I thought that heating them in the oil of a hot pan would do it, but maybe I'm trying the wrong ones. Then little odd things affect flavor too, like buying different kinds of onion. I chop up an onion or two at my cookup to use on my daily saute's. But boy do I prefer the vidalia or sweet onions, and no garlic for me, just not as nice of a flavor my taste.

<><><><><><><><><><><>

Connie-- If you don't have Well Fed check out the author's blog The Clothes Make The Girl--- lots of recipes to help you experiment with different spices and try some new tastes. One recipe I really, really liked was Rogan Josh, a beef stew with some unique flavors. The recipe is in the cookbook but it is also on the blog. 

Day 17 for me and back to feeling positive. No real cravings or longings and plenty of energy. The one thing I can't get over is how I never seem to feel particularly hungry. I'm ready for my meals when they come but I'm not hanging for them. Like a few of you have stated, I find I don't 'have' to eat food just because it is there. I have my food and when it comes time to eat I do so, I'm not clock watching to see when I can justify eating. So that is a nice change.

Thanks for the recipe tip. I'd like to try the Rogan Josh when the weather cools off.

I have Well Fed but I guess spices aren't as intuitive as I'd like them to be. Particularly in hot plates. I've been wanting to try the Italian Sausage seasoning and Pizza Seasoning, maybe I'll have better luck with them.

I made the "best chicken" recipe from Well Fed but used some salt that was way too intense that ruined it. Happy that my husband was intrigued by it. Will try again later this week.

Any other recipes/seasonings you esp. like from Well Fed?

Connie, the Italian sausage seasoning is gorgeous.

I'd also recommend the Sri Lankan curry sauce, it is delicious. We have a big batch of it in the fridge and have been mixing in meat or fish as we go to have a very quick dinner option. It's not particularly spicy but its full of flavour.

And finally we have tried the Afrique du Nord seasoning on salmon and it was very tasty.

Day 15 down! Hooray for us! :)

I haven't tried the Rogan Josh. When I was at Penzey's (a spice store), they had a Rogan Josh mix, and I smelled it, but I didn't really like what I smelled, so I didn't get it! Am I missing out?

Has anyone else eaten at Chipotle in these 15 days? I went there for dinner last night, and I thought I made decent choices. Here were the ingredients of everything I ate there: 

• * Carnitas: Pork, Lard, Bay Leaf, Salt, Black Pepper, Thyme, Juniper Berries, Sunflower Oil
  • * Guacamole: Hass Avocado, Red Onion, Jalapeño, Cilantro, Citrus Juice, Salt
  • * Lettuce: Romaine Lettuce
  • * Tomato Salsa: Tomato, Red Onion, Jalapeño, Cilantro, Kosher Salt, Citrus Juice
  • * Tomatillo Green Chili Salsa: Roasted Tomato, Roasted Tomatillo, Roasted Jalapeño, Salt, Citrus Juice, Toasted Cumin, Garlic, Black Pepper, Red Onion, Cilantro, Oregano

There is nothing bad on that list, as far as I can tell. However, I had a pounding headache within an hour of dinner. Could it just be the fact that everything but the lettuce contains added salt? The only salt I've had for the past two weeks is the salt I season my home-cooked food with. Maybe this was just a salt overload?

angelajl, the exact same thing happened to me last night! I dined out in the restaurant and had a salad made out of baked vegetables and pieces of grilled salmon and meat. I interrogated the waiter and there was not even sunflower oil anywhere - only olive oil in my salad. When I got home in about an hour after the meal - I thought my head was going to explode! And I normally never suffer from any headaches. Wondering what it could have been. 

It's also my first headache since I started Whole30 16 days ago. Have you experienced any headaches so far except of this one? 

Anyways, it is day 16th! Yay!!! Proud of myself and fellow Whole30ers. 

@natiki13-did they tell you what oil they used to cook with if it wasn't sunflower oil? I'm always suss about commercial kitchens and, having worked as a waitress for what seemed like a million years while studying I'm also very suss about chefs and what they will and won't disclose to wait staff. They may have used balsamic with additives and/or sugar, they might have used something else to cook the veggies and/or salmon and meat. I guess the good thing is that your body is attuned now to when these things show up and you can think about what the cause may have been.

Day 16 heading to an end for me and I think I'm lucky enough to be experiencing this "tiger blood" phenomena-absolutely out of this world energy levels. Woke at 5.30am or rather bounced out of bed and went to a killer boot camp class by 6.15am that felt fantastic (not during it though, that was hell but after-yes, fantastic! :P). I preceded the class with a bullet proof coffee and a boiled egg. Came home and had some left over veggie frittata from last night, an avocado, olives and some scrambled egg. Made the scrambled egg with coconut milk and my 5 year old told me it was the best scrambled eggs she had ever had-bonus!  :) Lunch was two lamb chops with oregano and rosemary and lemon fried in ghee with some more veggie fritatta, avocado and salad and dinner will be an organic chook roasted with lemon, rosemary, garlic, onion and sage, I'm also roasting some sweet potatoes, squash and egg plant with it and will sauté some chard, kale and cabbage with it.

What I ~think~ might be the tiger blood is the full on energy levels, increased focus and concentration in work (ripped through a load of stuff today working from home), an increased sense of well being and calmness and a real sense of optimism about everything....so much so am thinking I might head back to the gym after dinner is digested and challenge myself with some heavier squats and dead lifts. An added bonus is a couple of unexpected but excellent things fell into place today which is leaving me feeling as though there is a nice sense of balance between my inner and outer worlds today. 

Anyone that is wavering, or having difficulties I'd really encourage you to push through because this stage is actually pretty awesome and  worth persevering for (in my opinion anyway). I echo natiki in saying I'm proud of all our efforts-we've all done amazingly! Go us!  :D

Day 16 completed here too. Energy levels seem a little up and I think I'm waking a bit easier but its hard to tell when you have to get up in the dark.

Absolutely in love with oven roasted broccoli, had a huge tray of it and cauli with sweet potato for dinner, there was no room on the plate for my steak, anyway strangely I ate all the veg and didn't finish the steak.

Been drinking more and more fruity tea's, again I've never liked them before I bought a delicious strawberry and apple with hibiscus and rosehips from the local market OMG I could drink it all day which is good as I am struggling to drink water when its so cold outside.

Day 15 down! Hooray for us! :)

I haven't tried the Rogan Josh. When I was at Penzey's (a spice store), they had a Rogan Josh mix, and I smelled it, but I didn't really like what I smelled, so I didn't get it! Am I missing out?

I can't speak for Penzey's blend, I had all but one of the spices it called for on hand so I got that one and mixed it up. I liked it. I just like cinnamon on meat though. The Moussaka recipe I use has it in and it is delicious.

It's also my first headache since I started Whole30 16 days ago. Have you experienced any headaches so far except of this one? 

~~~

Yeah, sadly, I've had lots of headaches the past two weeks! It seems anything will set them off. (But I had almost NO headaches ever before the Whole 30.)

Anyone that is wavering, or having difficulties I'd really encourage you to push through because this stage is actually pretty awesome and  worth persevering for (in my opinion anyway). I echo natiki in saying I'm proud of all our efforts-we've all done amazingly! Go us!  :D

~~~

I'm hoping I start seeing benefits soon! I haven't had any positive physical or mental changes yet. The only changes I've seen are the food/behavioral ones required by the program: no more snacking on dark chocolate and potato chips in the evening. :)

Well I am pooped.  Maybe I used up my tiger blood supply.  I was up last night preping food, cleaning the kitchen and making lunch for today.  I was up this AM at 5:30 and did P90X Plyometrics (one hour of jump training).  I like the workout but it is tough.  I then had some poached eggs and off to work on my bike.  Heat here (even at 8 AM) is pretty intense this week so I was drenched when I got to work. Not looking forward to going home tonight but at least going home is down hill.

Ate well (on plan) yesterday but kids had swimming lessons at our normal dinner hour (will for the next 2 weeks - ouch) which really puts a cramp in my home cooked meal prep process.  My wife made me a fritata (eggs, veggies and ghee) which was ready when I got home on the bike and had a quick shower.  I scarfed down the eggs/veggies and was off to the swimming lesson.  It all went well but eggs for dinner just don't do it for me.  I was hungry (want to punch yourself in the gut hungry) all night.  I had some fruit and a coffee (not ideal but we do what we can) and made it through.  This was the first night I caught myself surveying the pantry (95% of the things in my pantry are non-W30) since I started July 1, 2013. Pantry grazing was a bad habit of mine when not W30.  I did not deviate but the grazing was annoying!

Today will be a good day and I made new homemade paleo mayo last night so salmon salad and a big salad for lunch today!!!

Cheers

DJ

Archived