July 1 Start Date - Who's with Me?!

mamaxt

Omg I dont know what happened last night but I was ravenous. I couldn't sleep, I couldn't think about anything but how hungry I was . I ended up eating almond butter and downing a big glass of water. Now I've just eaten a big breakfast (my usual breakfast) and I'm hungry again! WTF. Hahaha. Yesterday wasn't even a run day. 

It is disgustingly hot here right now and my apartment has no A/C so I'm hauling up on campus for as long as I can. Getting to drive in the A/C was worth it alone but having coffee in comfort is glorious. I can't wait for it to cool down. 

Breakfast was an omelette. I want to make sweet potato hash and bison sausages but that would've required a longer cooking time and I just couldn't be bothered waiting. Tonight I have a 6k run and my back is achy for some reason. I'm feeling kind of "off". Not sure why. 

But still, Day 14! Woohoo! 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 16 and feeling AMAZING~~~  I LOVE that when my alarm goes off for work at 4:15 AM, I am no longer foggy/groggy-minded and am clear headed and alert!  I don't have that desire to just curl up underneath of the covers and stay in bed anymore.  This is such a milestone for me since I've always been the sleeper!  I had such a productive weekend and am looking forward to this week since I got so much food prep done Sunday!  Right now, I have so many choices in the refrigerator that it almost makes it difficult to choose.  It's a much better problem to have than trying to forage for something and make something out of nothing.  I have such a sense of calm about me even during my busy food prep and housecleaning day Sunday.  I never got stressed out about getting everything done and yet somehow, it still got done.  Amazing again!  I love this new calm, happy, positive, high-energy me!  I also noticed that my little love-handles are shrinking and I'm getting back to feeling like the me from last year when I was happy with my image and body comp.  I'm so excited to continue this W30 journey and will be extending it to a W90 since I have a marathon I want to be in peak condition for in October!  =))) 

I want to repeat what others have said... we are all doing so great and I'm proud of us!  We have a great support system in place and we have a wonderful group!  I'm happy I joined you all for this journey!  I hope we all stay in touch and keep supporting each other at the end of the 30 days.

One last thing... anyone else thoroughly enjoying the Whole 30 Daily emails and their little bonuses at the end of each day when you get to click on the "I did it" link?!?  I LOVE IT!  =)    Have a great day everyone!

Day 16 and feeling AMAZING~~~  I LOVE that when my alarm goes off for work at 4:15 AM, I am no longer foggy/groggy-minded and am clear headed and alert!  I don't have that desire to just curl up underneath of the covers and stay in bed anymore.  This is such a milestone for me since I've always been the sleeper!  I had such a productive weekend and am looking forward to this week since I got so much food prep done Sunday!  Right now, I have so many choices in the refrigerator that it almost makes it difficult to choose.  It's a much better problem to have than trying to forage for something and make something out of nothing.  I have such a sense of calm about me even during my busy food prep and housecleaning day Sunday.  I never got stressed out about getting everything done and yet somehow, it still got done.  Amazing again!  I love this new calm, happy, positive, high-energy me!  I also noticed that my little love-handles are shrinking and I'm getting back to feeling like the me from last year when I was happy with my image and body comp.  I'm so excited to continue this W30 journey and will be extending it to a W90 since I have a marathon I want to be in peak condition for in October!  =))) 

I want to repeat what others have said... we are all doing so great and I'm proud of us!  We have a great support system in place and we have a wonderful group!  I'm happy I joined you all for this journey!  I hope we all stay in touch and keep supporting each other at the end of the 30 days.

One last thing... anyone else thoroughly enjoying the Whole 30 Daily emails and their little bonuses at the end of each day when you get to click on the "I did it" link?!?  I LOVE IT!  =)    Have a great day everyone!

This post was great.  Love, love, love reading posts like this.  I am a big fan of the n=1 type of mentality but is is so very rewarding that others see, feel and experience the same successes and positivity from this program that I do.  Thanks for you post and reading about your successes makes me appreciate my successes more. 

I hope that others like angelajl also find this type of success and positive outcomes from the program.  Sometimes more time and efforts are needed to see the benefits!

Cheers

DJ

All is well on my end, too. Still eating clean and have higher-than-normal energy levels.  

Feeling a little groggy today (mostly because of the high pollen count and my eye allergies), but I just realized I have been a MACHINE at work this morning. Have put in a full-day's worth of effort in only 4 hours. What??!!

Maybe I can push for half days with the same pay if I keep this up. Haha!  :lol:

Oh, yeah. I'm down two sizes!! 

@djoyce - Thanks! 

I think everyone benefits from others trying to focus on positive things.  In this crazy world it seems it's a lot easier to find negative things to suck you down into a negative vortex.  I've been trying to focus hard on keeping myself clear of that nasty vortex and creating my own uplifting happy existence.  We are blessed with this life for but a brief time and we need to make the most of every day we are gifted with!  (words my mom has always and still does repeat to me)

I recently cut my finger pretty badly trying to pit an avocado, so I'm not only a messy cutter in the kitchen...now I'm a scaredy cat too! This watermelon was pre-cut from the grocery store. So no one was harmed (hopefully). 

Hello from the Jersey Shore! 

I have been down the shore for a week now and stayed compliant, even with the family eating ice cream, cookies, hoagies, pasta, pancakes, junk.... I haven't really wanted anything. The only thing I really "wanted" to eat of theirs was some cheese, but I didn't.  I have NEVER completely stayed on a diet while down the shore.  On the beach I pack a ton of seltzer and some applegate farms coldcuts wrapped around pepper slices and then dunked in fresh salsa and guacamole.  Totally filling and yummy.  Make my own omelette in the mornings and usually enjoy the same dinner as everyone, just don't eat whatever grain they're making. I even bought some expensive applegate farms hotdogs so I could get in on the hotdog lunch we were having yesterday before we went to the beach.

I am super proud of myself for staying compliant.  Even when I've had success with eating plans in the past, I've always had a "treat" or something within 2 weeks, so 16 days is awesome! 

Now I just need to add workouts back into my life and it will be smooth sailing.  I don't know if I've lost weight. I feel like the mirror says I have, but when you're just wearing beach clothes it's hard to tell if you've lost a "pant' size. I'm putting on a newish pair of jeans tonight so we'll see if they feel different than a week ago! 

Wanting to jump on the scale on Friday when I get home from our trip, but I guess I can wait 11 more days past that, right?

cheers to more than halfway!

Well I am pooped.  Maybe I used up my tiger blood supply.  I was up last night preping food, cleaning the kitchen and making lunch for today.  I was up this AM at 5:30 and did P90X Plyometrics (one hour of jump training).  I like the workout but it is tough.  I then had some poached eggs and off to work on my bike.  Heat here (even at 8 AM) is pretty intense this week so I was drenched when I got to work. Not looking forward to going home tonight but at least going home is down hill.

Ate well (on plan) yesterday but kids had swimming lessons at our normal dinner hour (will for the next 2 weeks - ouch) which really puts a cramp in my home cooked meal prep process.  My wife made me a fritata (eggs, veggies and ghee) which was ready when I got home on the bike and had a quick shower.  I scarfed down the eggs/veggies and was off to the swimming lesson.  It all went well but eggs for dinner just don't do it for me.  I was hungry (want to punch yourself in the gut hungry) all night.  I had some fruit and a coffee (not ideal but we do what we can) and made it through.  This was the first night I caught myself surveying the pantry (95% of the things in my pantry are non-W30) since I started July 1, 2013. Pantry grazing was a bad habit of mine when not W30.  I did not deviate but the grazing was annoying!

Today will be a good day and I made new homemade paleo mayo last night so salmon salad and a big salad for lunch today!!!

Cheers

DJ

DJ - a frittata is a good idea, you might just need to beef it up a bit. Add some meat, like chicken or even beef mince. Make sure there's enough veggies, I like adding sweet potato - either in thin slices or grated. Even add some leafy greens like spinach or kale, and add in broccoli if you think you need more veggies. It ends up being more baked omelette like, but it works. You can then slice it up and even take it in a tub to the kids swimming and eat while they are in the pool.

Okay, I need to pause for a moment and thank the universe for providing me with watermelon. Seriously...this stuff has never tasted so GOOD!  :wub:

Sometimes I think that no matter what bad things happen in life, I can take heart in the fact that there will still be watermelon. Unless there ceases to be watermelon, then I don't know what I would do.  I think I ate my weight in watermelon last summer (my third trimester preggo weight!)

Not feeling the tiger blood, but then again I'm not doing as well as I'd like to be.  I've been compliant with my food choices, but I can't find time to exercise, and I'm stressed out. The only time all day I get to myself is when the kids go to bed, and I'm so jazzed about alone time, that I'm staying up too late. I'm using this 30 days to make good food choices. Next Whole30 will be continuing my food choices, but focusing on sleep and exercise. My plan is to take July 31st off from the Whole30, then do another 30 days Starting August 1st. Wish me luck...

Connie -- Don't know if this will help, but this chart has a ton of spices and what kind of foods to pair them with.

I made a delicious pot roast today, that I promptly ripped apart into shredded meat and flavored all bbq-y (tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, liquid smoke, salt and pepper). I really need to remember not to add veggies to the crockpot, though. Everything ends up tasting the same.

I think the energy is finally starting to kick in for me.

Tiger blood, I love it!

Today the desk I was using at work was six feet away from a table laden with cookies, muffins, pie, and garlic bread. For ten hours. But I resisted! Except for one fleeting moment of temptation, I really didn't think about it. I can't believe I've been able to stay compliant for for over two weeks. I don't remember the last I stuck with any kind of self-improvement plan for two weeks. This epic for me. Granted I have missed my workout for two days in a row due to long commutes and long work hours (my schedule and work place varies a lot), but that's ok. Tomorrow should be a short day and I'll be able to get a good long workout in. Hopefully I'll have time to make the chocolate chili I've been wanting to try.

Rock on Tigers!

@chessjeck, can totally understand you wanting to have me time when the kids have gone to bed (hell, here am I breathing  sigh of relief after just having dropped my daughter off at school for the day!  :P ) but also think the exercise when you can do it is a good complement to the W30 and tends to help with taking the edge off the stress. Even little 15 minute work out routines that you can do at home are useful. I do these: https://bodeefit.com daily work outs when I am working from home and have been sitting at the desk too long. The exercise would also help with the sleep issues too. Anyway, just a thought maybe for when you do have the time.  :)

another thing I've noticed since the whole 30 is that I've added salt to a lot of things, so I'm adding more salt than I normally would but I think I'm actually eating less salt as I'm not eating it hidden in things (or eating a bag of chips). I was up way too late last night and I feel alright, actually I feel pretty normal, despite not having enough sleep. Last night is also the first night I have slept through when I have to be up in the morning, I can't remember the last time that has happened.

another thing I've noticed since the whole 30 is that I've added salt to a lot of things, so I'm adding more salt than I normally would but I think I'm actually eating less salt as I'm not eating it hidden in things (or eating a bag of chips). I was up way too late last night and I feel alright, actually I feel pretty normal, despite not having enough sleep. Last night is also the first night I have slept through when I have to be up in the morning, I can't remember the last time that has happened.

Its a tricky balance with salt! I have to be a little mindful of it due to some medically induced high blood pressure, but since cutting out all processed foods, I started getting some muscle cramps (the ones so acute you want to chop of the relevant limb to get the pain to stop), so my sports massage therapist recommended adding a little more in as I'm not getting it from food as much.

Nope, but the little bit extra salt seems to be helping quite nicely. I'm a bit over-drugged and supplemented, so I'll probably stick to what I'm doing unless they start coming back with a vengeance! I do know its helpful though, so its there in the back of my mind in case I need to use mag at some point!

I also think I might have a little bit of this tiger blood fever that everyone's catching: http://mymissingfactor.wordpress.com/2013/07/17/is-this-tiger-blood/

Oooh, good day here. Went on a hike this morning with the husband before it got too hot, then chilled out at home and hid from the heat until my water aerobics class. Got ISWF salmon cakes in the oven right now. Spent time in the woods and the water today, so I'm happy!

@ Jenna, yeah, it is good. I'm a bit of a recent convert but do tend to find it knocks the life out of muscle cramps pretty easily as well as aiding recovery after w/o. Just had a quick squizz at your blog after seeing it in your siggy. Liked what I read a lot  and will go back for further reading later. You have a lovely writing style. 

Day 16

Dunno about you guys, but I'm enjoying stable energy, calm mood and deeper sleep.  Today I was 100% in compliance in terms of ingredients, although breakfast was on the smaller side, so I ate a Larabar for the first time as a snack.  It's the kind of thing I could eat recreationally if I'm not careful (and today I was, so yay).

Goals for the coming weeks:

• Limit nuts to 1 serving a day as usual.  Even better, have avocado instead.
  • Keep up the strategy of eating protein, veggies and fat first, and then fruit only if I'm still truly hungry.
  • Don't buy more Larabars.  They are trouble!

Archived