Physibeth's Post-W30 Log

Physibeth

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last 2 days have been challenging food wise as it has been way too hot to cook and be in the kitchen. So when I woke up this morning and it was reasonably cool and I had nowhere I needed to be I decided it was time to start cooking up lots of things!

So far today I've made pumpkin tomato soup (the paleo kitchen), spiralized a large zucchini for lemon chive pasta (the paleo kitchen), made baked beets and fennel (practical paleo), zucchini pancakes (practical paleo), and I'm currently roasting an acorn squash.

Still to come Kohlrabi Salad with Apple Ginger Vinaigrette, belly dance beet salad (well fed 2), sweet and salty broccoli salad (well fed 2), and creamy pistachio pesto chicken salad (the paleo kitchen).

I have a lot of kohlrabi to use so if anyone has any other fun recipes for that to share I'd love to hear them. I also have turnips that I'm at a loss of what to do with. I roasted my last batch and they were so nasty and watery that I tossed them. Other ideas?

I also have another zucchini and a small crookneck squash. Thoughts? I might make chicken zoodle soup with the other zucchini when I see how much chicken I have left after making the chicken salad.

Ugh they are testing our smoke alarms and it just keeps beeping really loud at random intervals. Very jolting. 

• Moderators

Sounds like a great kitchen haul. You've made some of my all-time fave salads--couldn't get enough of that kohlrabi one when I made it.

Are the turnips small and or young and tender? I'd make that carrot citrus radish salad from theclothesmakethegirl like I did some time back. It was great with the turnips subbed for radishes. I also used to make a grated turnip salad w lemon and parsley, but I don't know where the recipe got to. It was on a little piece of paper slipped into my csa box years ago. . . .

Hooray for preparedness!

I have a pretty small turnip, a medium one, and a pretty large one. ;) Maybe I'll give that salad a go...I do have a lot of carrots left.

Ok...need to go to the store and escape the fire alarm testing before my ear falls off...

Oh so tired this morning after staying up way to late at a girls night and then getting up early to teach BODYPUMP. Irony is that the girls night was a group of instructors including my fitness manager. Feeling good now that the workout is done.

So I have come to realize something and I'm not sure what to do with my realization. Last night I offroaded quite a bit. Had some regular pizza (thin crusted), some corn chips, a small piece of chocolate cake. Not overboard but not on track really. Plenty more carbs than normal though. And I slept like the dead. The last time I remember sleeping like that was when we got regular pizza the night before my Whole30. So I'm sure it isn't gluten because I never slept super well before going paleo, but I'm wondering if perhaps my body needs more starch in the evenings. Thoughts? Any science that might back this? Seriously I only woke once last night and it was because I had an urgent bathroom need. 

• Moderators

Carb coma!

But seriously, yes. I have read that starchy carbs in the evening help some people sleep better at night.

And I also have the experience that when I off-road with junk, it seems to crank up the old digestion and elimination.

When I was teaching RPM I found it ironic that my gym friendships tended to revolve around a kind of intensity that in retrospect made us less not more healthy. Late nights out, cocktails, overtraining. I'm not saying that's what's happening in your world, but your little anecdote reminded me of that. Gym rats, in my experience, are of the work hard play hard mentality that tends to get me in trouble!

I am starting to see that in some of my co-instructors not all. There is a balance between working as a team for the members and making sure you take care of your own body as well. Last night certainly was an anomaly for me.

I might start experimenting with more starch in the evening and see if that helps me sleep. Especially after my evening classes when I really need to wind down more quickly so I can get to bed at a reasonable time. I really did feel my best when I was regularly sleeping 10-6 and would love to get back on that pattern again. Just so hard to wind down after the evening classes.

Still over here chugging away. My fridge is full of food that I have no interest in eating. *sigh* Such 1st world problems we have. Perhaps I need a sign for my fridge reminding me how blessed I am to have a fridge full of food and just be a grown up and eat it. 

I absolutely must clean my kitchen today. I'm picking up my beef/pork order tomorrow and if I don't get things sorted today it isn't going to be good. Means I need to clean out and organize the freezer too. 

Hopefully cleaning the kitchen will help me with the eating the food I have issue. One of my problems is having slight anxiety of eating something for dinner on the nights I teach WIM at 7pm that will upset my stomach while I teach. 

Most of my current issues are really ones of discipline. Time to put my big girl panties on again and be a grown up. Go to bed at a reasonable hour, eat good food, clean my apartment, and waste less time.

kinda going through the same thing myself.....

caught myself standing in front of the fridge trying to figure out what to eat,  "there's nothing in here" my brain says - than my eyes see the full fridge....  "but its not what I want"  my brain whines.....  *sigh*  I really am blessed to have a fridge full.

Got my meat order today. 20 lbs of grass fed/finished beef and 20 lbs of heritage pork.

Had to play some freezer tetris. Between this and two more whole chickens I really should not have to buy meat for at least a month I hope. (note the pizzas are husband food and there is more stuff on the door)

post-19395-0-65197700-1406320742_thumb.j

Thanks! I think I'm getting there. Enough off road days tend to push me back to greater compliance. Fridge and freezer are stuffed to the gills...must eat all the things. ;)

Anyone have a favorite rump roast recipe? The two biggest things in there right now are a rump roast and a smoked ham. I feel if I can get those cooked and consumed it will make the freezer less scary. Now idea how to prepare the ham either. Might need to do some cookbook scouring this afternoon.

Actually have a light week coming up at the gym! So far haven't picked up any new sub requests for this week. Actually getting to be a student in BODYPUMP today. Of course this doesn't mean I get to take it easy as my CXWORX training is this weekend and I have a lot of prep work to do. Going to try and stay closer to the template this week so that I can feel my best on Saturday and Sunday.

Still humming along over here. Still finding meal timing around my gym schedule to be challenging. Trying to be recommitted to being productive at home this week and so far that is going well. I love waking up to a clean kitchen at the very least. Also trying to recommit to my 10-6 sleep schedule by making myself get up at 6 regardless. That is what I did last summer and it worked well. Still challenging to wind down after my 7pm classes though. The last two nights I made my post workout smoothie with a whole can of pureed pumpkin and experienced the sleep of the dead waking only when I REALLY had to use the restroom. I think I have solidified my opinion of the importance of evening carbs. Going to be a student in BODYPUMP again this morning. Yay! Been practicing my CX every day. It hurts so good. ;) 

post workout smoothie with a whole can of pureed pumpkin and experienced the sleep of the dead waking only when I REALLY had to use the restroom. I think I have solidified my opinion of the importance of evening carbs. 

You are my postWO hero right now  :D ! Awesome.

You are my postWO hero right now  :D ! Awesome.

I still don't always get them in within a half hour. Sometimes I'll bring the shaker with me to get at least the protein in before I leave the gym. But then I miss the carbs. Still a work in progress for sure.

I keep telling myself I have to get out of bed earlier on the weekends.  I know I'm doing myself no favors by sleeping so much later on the weekends, but getting myself out of bed without a need is something that has always been difficult for me.  I'm definitely a night owl by nature and I love my sleep.

I hear you Sara. What I've realized over the past year is that although I love to stay up late, it is rarely to do anything productive and I feel the best when I sleep between 10 and 6. I did stay up way too late last night and ended up dozing another hour after my alarm this morning. The intention remains there however. Having some odd pain on the outside of my left foot. My entire left leg feels stiff though so I think it might be radiating from my hip. Debating about seeing if I can get a quick appointment with my massage therapist today or just waiting until Monday for my regular appointment. I'm certain that all the CX practice is offending my hip flexors...lots of leg extensions and such. Foam rolled it a bit yesterday and was definitely ouchy. 

First attempt at the meat quiche this morning. Not bad. I used a rather large zucchini and some leftover sweet potato bits I had in the fridge from the last time I made sweet potato noodles. Shredded both and sauteed in garlic and butter. Dumped into a mesh seive and squeezed as much moisture out of it as I could. The sausage definitely did shrink...will need to work on my spreading skills. I ended up dumping the veggies onto it and then pouring the eggs on (I used 7 not 4) and then mixing it up with a fork. The crust is really more egg than sausage because of this but it is darn tasty.

post-19395-0-14409000-1406821440_thumb.j

• Moderators

Glad your first meat quiche is a success! I always mixed the veggies and eggs together before pouring into the crust. And when I spread the meat I literally pushed it straight up above the height of the pie pan lip. That's mere aesthetics, though. Taste is what's most crucial!

A little added incentive for getting to sleep earlier from my training notes I reread last night: human growth hormone is released between 10 pm and 2 am, maximized by sleep (also blunted by alcohol, note to self).

Archived