Hey everyone!

So I will be starting my Whole30 tomorrow and I am super excited about it but feel a little overwhelmed with meal planning.  I decided to just go out and buy a bunch of food and then figure out what to make with it as trying to meal plan for a week with these new rules was quite daunting!  My question is, I am going to be making egg muffins for breakfast for this week to get me started, and I plan to incorporate all sorts of veggies like spinach, green peppers, onions etc, however I am wondering how do I incorporate fat into my meal?  If I have about 3 of these egg muffins I think I'll do okay in the protein and veggie department but aside from having a couple nuts with my meal I am not sure how to incorporate it?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Also if you have any other super simple recipes for a newbie I would gladly accept them!  Thanks in advance!

Amanda

I'd skip the nuts, and have avacado or wholly guacamole

( or use your fat "allowance" for an after meal 1 bulletproof coffee)

Nuts are allowed, but I avoid them. You may have not had a problem with nuts/ nut butters before whole 30, but they can quickly become food without brakes ,and in my experience cause cravings for sugary treats. ðŸ˜And an unhappy digestive system.

Thanks for the replies!  I am not an olive fan at all and avocado I need to work my way up to (not a big fan of the texture).  I also can't find any bacon that doesn't have added sugar to it.  I thought if maybe I fried some ground beef in coconut oil that would help up my fat?  What do you guys think?

You could make a batch of homemade mayo, you could have an ounce or two of coconut butter, 1/2 avocado or a Wholly Guacamole packet squeezed on top of the egg muffins. I use their 100 cal packets all the time - compliant!! Also, when you whip up your egg muffin mixture, stir in about a cup of full fat coconut milk per 10-12 eggs that you use. That will help add some fat as well (although not enough for a full meal's worth of fat).

• Moderators

Nom Nom Paleo's Mini Frittatas are awesome. They contain a small amount of full fat coconut milk in them - helps keep them tender. I usually add a wee bit more. They're also wrapped in prosciutto and the muffin tins are greased with coconut oil. So right there you might have just about enough fat, otherwise cut up a bit of avocado to top it, or serve on the side.

Or, if like me, you add coconut milk to your coffee that takes care of it too.

Best #whole30 trick I learned: Warm ~1/4 c coconut milk in mug. Add ~1 tsp unsweetened cocoa (optional) and ~1/4 c of hot coffee. Blend with wand mixer (or in blender), then fill w/more coffee til you get the flavor you like. MAGICAL. And a whole different drink than just coffee and coconut milk stirred together.

I haven't found any prosciutto yet that is grass-fed, etc.

You don't have to have pastured prosciutto for it to be compliant (though if you can find it, great). It just needs to have compliant ingredients. I got a pack at Trader Joe's with just pork and salt and made these frittatas with it. A-OK.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

The prosciutto wrapped frittata sounds good but is coconut-flour compliant for whole30?  Also, I'm thinking of trying it wrapped in bacon, if it is, as I haven't found any prosciutto yet that is grass-fed, etc.

No coconut flour in the NomNomPaleo ones, just some coconut milk, eggs, spinach, mushrooms ...

Archived