Light Tasting Olive Oil

StephannieL

• 5 weeks later...

It seems like all of the light olive oils say something along the lines of "composed of refined olive oils and virgin olives oils". The refined part made me hesitate on buying one. Is that okay? I know little to nothing about olive oil so sorry fi this is a dumb question!

Meg, all light OO is refined by definition. Most are chemically refined, which is why I avoid it. I suppose you may be able to find one that's mechanically refined but I've never seen one that gives that much detail.

Chemically refined oil grosses me out.

I use CO and or avocado oil in my mayo and I can't see another reason to ever consume light olive oil.

Beets, How do you use coconut oil? Do you warm it enough to make it liquid first?

I've tried making mayo with avocado oil and disliked the taste.

I've tried macadamia nut oil and disliked the taste.

I'd love to try coconut oil.

I just started using coconut oil in my mayo and it is a revelation. so awesome. I don't know how beets does it, but I use 1/2 coconut oil, 1/2 avocado oil and if the coconut oil isn't liquid to start I do warm it slightly so it can flow through the little hole in my food processor.

I can't find the recipe I started with, but basically: 1 egg, 2 egg yolks, T ACV, t Dijon Mustard, 1/2 t salt, 1/2 cup avocado oil, 1/2 cup coconut oil.

Oh and with the avocado oil: the flavor varies A LOT. Look for one that is not green in color if you want it mild. Macadamia nut oil works great too (maybe better than avocado oil to my taste), but I haven't been able to find it lately.

• Moderators

I made my first batch with avocado oil tonight and it was as good if not better than light olive oil. Next batch I'm going to try the half and half avo and CO. I hope it will be warm enough then for the CO to be liquid at room temp.

Does the texture of the CO mayo change when you put it in the fridge, though?

Does the texture of the CO mayo change when you put it in the fridge, though?

I find the CO mayo to be slightly firmer than my old avocado oil version, but not in a bad way: probably more similar to standard jarred mayo in consistency with the CO IMO.

Thanks, Beets! I tried the avocado oil last night and was successful (yay, my first mayo!) but despite loving avocados I don't love the flavor. Anyone have any ideas for adjusting that once the mayo is already made? I'm thinking more powdered mustard but would love suggestions.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

There is always bacon mayo...

I've been wanting to try this for a while but since doing W30 our bacon consumption is down (but may go up - Whole Foods opens up in the area in a week!).  I'm not sure of the details of using drippings from a sugar cured bacon... my guess is not on W30.  

Archived