9 June Start

dcducks1

* what was your favorite thing you ate/made/thought about making on the W30? 

* what were the go to things you made and ate again and again (even if super simple)

* what, if any yummy dishes will you be continuing to make after W30 is over? 

* any favorite recipe links or blogs you discovered along the way? 

* anything you would or wouldn't do again food-wise? 

* if we had a big ole potluck party for the 69-ers (on the W30 Holodeck, points for getting that geek reference), what would you bring for all of us to nosh on? Compliant of course! 

Here are mine:

-Favorite thing I made:  crispy braised muscovy duck legs.  Melt in the mouth.  Oh my god.

-Go to dishes:  A toss up between these two, both quick, simple and delicious:

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/thai-flavored-green-curry-with-sweet-potato-green-beans-and-chicken

http://paleoinpdx.com/2012/07/20/simple-supper-friday-coconut-turkey-stew/

-Yummy dishes I'll continue:  many.  Cauliflower is the new star in my book: riced, pureed, and otherwise.

-Sad sack dish:  butternut squash.  I'll try again, but it wasn't a hit.

-Potluck for the Dirty 30:  asparagus wrapped in prosciutto!  And venison meatballs!

-Greatest foodie inspiration:  Deb!!!!!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just had an absolutely delicious meal entirely made of leftovers:  grilled salmon on cauliflower rice, roasted brussels sprouts with walnuts and shallots, roasted green beans with hazelnuts, and some grilled zucchini.  I am stuffed and love eating this way.  And, in honor of carrying on with this new way of eating, I bought a rutabaga today so I have a brand new IOD to look forward to at some point this week.

Deb, your story about your commitment to healing really struck me.  You are amazing, and have been such a motivator for the rest of us, and all the while you were quietly and gracefully tackling a major health issue.  What gumption, girl!  

As for this group, I was thinking today that the Dirty 30/Team 69 should contribute to Success Stories as a team.  There is something really special about this group, and I've been thinking about what the specific elements were that made it so amazing.  This is such a diverse group, from all over the world, with lots of life experiences, and a clear commitment to openness and support and honesty and humor (and no whining).  Dave and Miki set the stage.  Hats off to our fearless leaders!

And now:  Day 30!  Holy cow!  Goooooooooooooaaaaalllll!!!!!

Miki - I had to look up Kangaroo Paws too - it's beautiful, I am going to have to add some to my garden. Really enjoyed your garden pictures, it's easy to see the love you put into it.

Higs- your visit with your Dad sounded wonderful - the picture makes me anxious to be up your direction.

Dave - thanks for the pictures, sweet puppys, nice car -

CC - thanks for the link to My One Word - I will look at it tomorrow - I should be in bed -

Good Nite, ALL

Almost Day 30 everyone, we ROCKED IT!!!!!!

And aww thanks for the kind words again friends, it has given me so much pleasure (and great distraction!) to find and share links and see my fellow 69-ers getting excited about fun food, recipes and new ingredients. This energy is such a positive motivating force.  

I too found so many great websites for inspiration along the way and am so grateful for that.

CC I would love to host a paleo cooking show and used to dream of being on tv, sadly I kind of suck on camera, if you watched Food Net Star last season you would have seen a split second flash of me pretending to taste Russell's ice cream - my comments were so forced and weird its all my boss would allow me to put of myself in my show. Damn! LOL. 

I am much better at telling other people what to say! 

Dave, great pics!  

Its hard to explain our great little support group to the world so Higs I think that is an AMAZING idea to post a group success story! How would we do that do you think?

And agree, big hats off to Miki and Dave our fearless leaders (and whose banter is endlessly entertaining). 

I'm pretty sure I didn't lose any weight but I gained so very much in so many other ways. 

Also having done two Whole 30s almost back to back (both, blessedly, with Miki and Dave, guys, pretty crazy right? the first one seems like so long ago!), I can say that 60 days of this type of eating definitely makes it feel more like a lifestyle and I like that a lot.

Allright, must get some sleep, I hope we hear from some other folks who've checked in along the way - Gabenick, the Annas, Rosann...keep sharing! 

See you on the flip side!  Mad love for all. 

To my favorite group of people I've never met,

Where do I begin, or end. I treasure my mornings, evening and inbetweens, because I get to hear all about all of you!. It's funny, I know more about some of you than I do about people I've worked with for 5 years.

CC & Rick, I love who you are to each other, how you support each other and have made this journey together. I pray someday to be blessed with a relationship like yours.

Rosann, who chose for her own reasons to leave the group. We've all done less than perfect w30s and although the moderators, and rightly so, do not condone them, we all understand the life happens and I think most of us believe that you have to love and appreciate the improvements you make in your life. Life is not about perfection but rather about the souls we brush up against. We learned a lot from you, and we appreciated all of your contributions.

Meadow - Keep up the great work and I'm sure we'll see you in our slutty follow up forum (compliments Dave - for picking up on Debs great name) Dirty 30.

Sadie, what a compliment to our menagerie.

Higs, you are SO fun. You've been so faithful about sharing info with us, thank you.

Miki

Darling Rosita (i love that). My kindred dirty girl gardener. Keep your brain naughty, your hands dirty and your diet clean.

Cara - your strength, determination and willpower - impressive.

Last, but not least.

Darling Deb,

I am so grateful to have met you. I hope we still do it in person soon. You really kept us inspired and teased to make the adventure instead of a chore. Your love of life and commitment to being the best you you can be will inspire me always. I will still go back and reread your posts and the many link you researched and shared with all of us. I still plan to try leeks.  I pray you remain in remission and find the healing that exists in all of us.

And finally our unstoppable Ducky, You have been our inspiration, our kick in the rear, our cheerleader and drill sergeant, our mom and our dad, our big brother and chore pimp - Cheers to all you are and all that you can be. I will think of you every time I clean a file drawer, change a shower curtain, repair my car, repair the neighbors car, get sunburned, have sex with my wife (okay, maybe not) and when I go bowling at Gable House, or was it PV Bowl. Take Care of your arm/shoulder, sunburn, car, dog, sons, wife, house, garage, boat, drunk ruined fences and make sure and bake those hot coffee cakes to fatten up the coworkers.

For all I've missed, forgive me. I love everyone's contributions, humor and humanity. This truly has been a magically delicious bowl of personalities.

hugs

mix

Everybody SWAGGER,

That's right, switch those hips and swagger to the podium kids, because it is officially day 30 and we're still here. Nobody is saying goodbye to anything or anyone either, because just like the last 30 days, its all about what we've gained. You guys continue to teach me things of great value every day and I am beyond grateful for each and every one of you. 

CC and Rick, your attitude to marriage and life are inspiring. It doesn't just work, you two work it every day. 

Dave, you know my son is named David? Its not after you because I didn't know you when he was born, but I kind of feel like it could have been because your commitment and humanity and wicked sense of humor are a driving force for good. I certainly would be proud if my boy grew up with those qualities.Thank you for putting in the time even when you were shufflin' around like a bad-shouldered zombie.

Deb, DEB. What a corker you are, making everybody's experience easier with your links and your stories and your inherent kindness. And we had some laughs along the way.

Higsy-belle, You have some lucky animals there. You are a truly good person. Your heart is on your sleeve in the best possible way and I love you for it. Also, your food sounds sweet and I want a place at the table. 

Miki, what a soft-centered nut you turned out to be. So kind, and so wise. I love hearing about your day and I love your honesty in all things. Its not all sunshine lollipops and rainbows but reading you makes it seem a little less bleak when the blinders are on.

Cara, your runs may have suffered a little but there's nothing slow about you. When I get to Oz to visit the vegan SIL I'm hitting Philips Island because I have to see the place that makes such individuals as you for myself.

Meadowlily, your acerbic asides and the thought buried beneath have given me pause and poked me in the soft underbelly when needed. Every group needs an agitator and I was glad to have you on side.

Anna, Rosann, Eoghan, Laurie, wherever any of you are or however far you got or didn't, it was deeply lovely to visit with you all and I am broadcasting some hippy-ass good vibes your way. Put on your receivers.

So today I don't have a story, I have a thought for the day: We are the choices we make in life, and as such I believe we can recast ourselves with better decisions into different roles. As Deb says, diagnosis is not destiny. So who are you today? I am at ease. I am not lonely, though often alone. I can own the past and let it go, I can free the future from my anxiety, I am for now enough. I see a lot of stories on here with WIP in the title. That's all I can ever claim to be and all I can aspire toward. A work in progress with great ambition and intention. Love love love to you all,

Rose

I've missed all of you.  I could not post for the last few days.  Forgot password (I was always signed in and I must have signed out) and when I clicked on forgot password, I never received a new password (even after many attempts at different times of the day on different days).  Very frustrating.  Anyway, I emailed headquarters and the problem was resolved.

This Whole 30 has been a wonderful journey because of all of the participants.  For me, it was so much more about the people than the food.  I didn't need to lose weight and I'm not sure if I lost any.  I exercised almost every day - I may have lost some fat and added some muscle. Most importantly,  I had food stability in my life for 30 days - I needed something stable since my life is so rocky.  Was my whole 30 perfect?  No, far from it - I ate way too much fruit, I ate when I wasn't hungry, I did not always follow the template and finally I ate 3 plain baked potatoes during the 30 days.  Although baked potato is not allowed, the potato was not a problem for me.  Fruit may be compliant but those sugary beasts were my downfall.  I will continue on for another 30 days - my goal is to do it a little better this time.  Improvement not perfection (perfection would be nice but it's just not realistic for me).

Many thanks to our wonderful leader Dave.  See you all on the other side.

Laurie returns!

Happiness for the comeback kid, and boo to the lost password and the fight to get back into the pool. Silly interwebs, causing so much trouble. You know you are working this shizzle and you know perfect is a stupid word that means nothing, because nobody can attain or ever has attained it. Screw perfect, perfect sucks.

I used to think that when I looked good it made me feel good, now I see my math was bad and in fact I looked good because I felt good, not the other way around. My addition made the wrong product. 

Well, now I'm feelin' good, like Nina Simone, like Marvin Gaye, like a dog in a summer lake. I applaud your decision to continue in an effort to fight the demons you have identified, and you know you can drop in on us any time for support or foolishness. I got some extra of that.

Love again,

Rose

Rose - I definitely plan on being with you all for as long as everyone is together.  Even though I'm in for another 30 days, I'm staying with this group on the reintroduction thread. This group is just too good to leave.   I might even say that we are all "perfect" in our own silly ways.

Hey:)

I'm new here but completed a whole30 beginning of june. I just kept going an d was doing fine but then i got sick after 10 days and i've been having a hard time jumping back on the wagon ever since. I'm fine with the meals, always staying compliant, my problem is chocolate and sweets. Going on a vacation in 2 weeks and wanted to wait till after that to start again but if i don't start now, this will get out of control so i need all the tough love:) so lets start june 9th!!!

Rose - you are completely wrong! Perfection is awesome and completely obtainable! I started this thread......and this group is PERFECT! we have the perfect blend of experience and inexperienced, cooks and non-cooks, athletes and couch potatoes, aches and wellness, happy and sad. For every yen...we have found a yang! We propped each other up when it was needed and offered the "gentle" tough love when required. We laughed, we cried, we ate stuff that we probably would have never thought about trying. WE MADE MAYO! We learned about others, their past, their future, their life, their kids, and spouses, and pets, and gardens. We found out how others spend their free time, how these things changed as they found new energy. We found success to sooo many things in our lives. People found pain relief, they found new clothes....they found old clothes that fit again. I found my belt........!

The greatest thing that I learned through this program is that I CAN CONTROL my health. Slimfast and other pseudo diets don't work for me. I GET IT NOW! I used to see people that jogged every day that were overweight and I wondered how is that possible. It's the eating...duh! I read that "six pack abs" are formed by "70% diet and 30% gym"! I actually believe that now. I used to think you could eat whatever you wanted just as long as you kill yourself working out......not anymore. This might be simple to most of you, but to a guy who was a three sport athlete and never got heavy until I was in my late 30's -early 40's........I just couldn't comprehend that my exercise wasn't enough.

I loved the humor and good natured fun that this group provided. I know my humor can get a little on the edge sometimes and not sure how it will be taken at times, but I mean well and only post the edgy stuff to give a smile or laugh to the group. This group played very nice together and was very interactive. Our views and post numbers set another record as we completely blew past our last groups totals. With as many views as we had, it was easy to tell that we had A TON of people coming on to our thread to see what all of the fuss was about and BOY did they get an eye full with this group. We had women falling off rubber balls, goat walking, we had dancing Pooh bears, we had busted shoulders, ruined gardens, bike rides, long walks, deep thoughts, silly kids, sick pets, grouchy mornings, happy endings....we had it all! AND...we still do.......don't forget to sign up (please send me your payment immediately) to the Dirty 30 re-intro thread.

I have enjoyed being a part of this dynamic and gifted group. I wasn't so much a leader.......more of a guy just along for a great ride. There were plenty of times where I couldn't put as much in as I wanted and was so pleased to see others jump in and take the reigns. This is what a great team does........... when one lags behind, the others pick up the slack. We were/are soooo successful on soooo many levels! 

I don't know what the scale will say when I get on it (whenever I decide to do that) and I really don't care. I set a personal goal to lose 51 pounds.......not 49......not 50....51! Why?......because I like even numbers! I weighed 251 at the beginning of January and hated how I felt. Here we are in the middle of July and I know I am under 217.......how much under?...not sure. I still have my goal in sight and will not rest until it is obtained.......but more importantly......I want to stay light....or go even lighter. I don't want to "touch the wall"....and then head back in the same direction! I want to be down to my "kick-ass weight." and stay there....kicking ass! I want my teenage kids to still fear their father...........a little doubt in ones mind goes along way.  

My mind is clearer now and my circle of friends now includes all of you. You are all probably perverted old men trying to find thin retired sailors......using fun female pics as avatars.......but if I have a fault....it's trust! Yes...I would like to meet each and everyone of you....not in a bathroom stall at the airport....you sickos......but what fun a gathering like this would be! We could bring goats, and kids (not the goat ones) and pets, and vegetables, and pinecones, dirt, ghee, leeks, wild game, trout............oh the time we would have! We would sit around and drink "dirty" martinis to go with our "dirty" group with "dirty" minds. We would talk and luagh about the old days when we were fat and felt horrible with aches and pains. We would brag about all of the people we have converted to the W30 way of life and how Dallas and Melissa put us all on the payroll and how wealthy we are now! We would jet-set around the world to give lectures and recruit more people. We would be able to meet as a group every year to catch up again......drink Tazo and Tequilla......fall off of rubber balls......(because of the Tazo and Tequilla) and laugh until we had defined abs!

To bring this ramble to a close, I am very honored and thankful for everything (big or small) that all of you contributed during our journey. I applaud your successes and your failures....for at least you tried when so many are content to sit on the side, their health being the victim. There is so much more available to us now: energy, knowledge, food, happiness, and friendship! Nothing that you have done in the last 30 days was bad for you! Nothing that you learned will make your life worse. In a world of daily negatives.....you all were my positives.....my rope that pulled me along. I hung on your every word......sometimes not commenting on them.....but I was there. I read, I listened, I thought about your words, I retained.....I LEARNED! I am blessed and happy for all of it! Thank you

Dave  

post-43304-0-95068900-1404833424_thumb.j

Miki - thank you! No, they are as ugly as the day is long.......just kidding. This was last week. We stopped at the Tiki bar while we were out boating. I had water.

Meadow- go to the reintro section on the main page and look for Dirty 30 thread.

Dave

One of the reasons I do what I do...my beautiful wife!

post-43304-0-16301100-1404839694_thumb.j

No sweet potatoes in the pantry this morning... Who knew butternut squash could be turned into an equally yummy breakfast hash??

This has been an amazing journey. I have learned so much about food and myself along the way. And I have enjoyed the blessing of having you all as sojourners (and an incredible partner/great encourager in CC)! The only thing I have really missed is red wine, which I enjoy very much. That will be the only reintroduction for me over the next 30 days, and limited at that. I would like to say that I will never again squander my opportunity for good nourishment and living well for fast food, other crap and things I don't truly relish and delight in. Not worth it!

Hi Everyone and Congratulations! I have been reading our forum and trying to keep up with you all but haven't posted much lately so I just wanted to pop in one last time and say hi and I'll see you over on the reintro forum (BECAUSE I WILL ACTUALLY REINTRO THIS TIME AND NOT JUST EAT A CHEESEBURGER LIKE LAST TIME. Promise.) 

I loved the questions so here are my answers:

Coconut shrimp with Mango dipping sauce. I'm on instagram (@bluegrass_whole30) and you can see the lovely picture there.

* what were the go to things you made and ate again and again (even if super simple)

Zucchini noodles with compliant sauce and crispy proscuitto

Almost all of them! Butternut squash soup, oven baked wings, sweet potato latkes, salad with dates, shallots and almonds, paleo pad thai! 

I think Deb's got that covered, no?

Overeat nuts. Major bellyache. Eventually I just stopped buying the convenient snack-y kind and just buy nuts I can use for salads and stir-fry.

* if we had a big ole potluck party for the 69-ers (on the W30 Holodeck, points for getting that geek reference), what would you bring for all of us to nosh on? Compliant of course! 

MAYBE I would buy a food processor, make homemade mayo THAT DIDN'T BREAK for the first time ever (sob, mine always just ended up wasting tons of oil!), and use it for bacon jalapeno deviled eggs. Is that a real recipe? If so I'd like to try it. 

I feel fantastic, the biggest hindrance to not eating this way for the rest of my life is convenience. But doing 60 days feels like such a great accomplishment and I'm so thrilled I was able to do my second round with my mom, who has no joint pain or bellyaches! 
I'll probably post tomorrow with stats, in the meantime I'm coming up with some kind of celebratory dinner :).

Great job everyone! 

My answers:

Cherry BBQ spare ribs

scrambled eggs with bacon crumbled in it

kahlua pork

Everything Deb showed us

Stay away from pizza

braised dove breasts

I have answered the questions so everyone has something to sell to the tabloids!

Dave

C O N G R A T S  T O  A L L  O F  U S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loving the food shares and so so proud of everyone and honored to have been your food pep talker along the way! 

DAVE YOUR WIFE IS SUCH A HOTTIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In haste - I want to read everyone's posts slowly tonight! 

Dave!  Good choice, my friend! Your wife is beautiful!  I thought I would share a couple of pics of our kiddos.

The first is Bethany (7) and Carson (4) at the lake last weekend.

The second is Sam (14) getting ready for the Tropical Cruise themed 8th grade dance :)

post-46802-0-78368000-1404860232_thumb.j

post-46802-0-06209000-1404860241_thumb.j

Well it's the morning of day 30 for me, I weighed in , is that okay or am I supposed to do that tomorrow :-/? Anyway very happy to see a loss, I know it's not about the numbers but downwards does make me smile.

I'm loving all the beautiful pics, I will have to attempt some pics soon.

Sweet potato, going from dreading eating it (was fed vast quantities with no over options years ago while travelling) to looking forward to it and lamb cutlets which I had not had since I was a child.

Mixed lettuce, kale & baby spinach mixes. Salad goes with everything :D

Most of what I ate I will continue with. I also discovered green papaya in a salad (the boys and I had a day trip yesterday that included grabbing lunch from one of the few paleo cafés in my state). I had not had papaya before but will do so in the future for sure.

Love nom nom paleo and clothes make the girls recipes. A huge thanks to Deb for her contributions, just amazing. I want to follow your blog!

I need to experiment more and will do so. I'm yet to make cauliflower rice and have to try it soon (for some reason it scares me, I think I won't like it).

I'm so not a cook but would bring along a pesto chicken salad and some coconut and date logs as it would be a celebration for sure!

PS. Maybe we could ditch the cooking and do a world tour of paleo cafés instead :D

With day 30 here it's a strange feeling. I'm worried about mucking up re-intro, I want to try all the re-intros but plan to eat paleo (with the occasional freedom) afterwards (re-intro of grains and dairy will be purely to see if I re-act).

CC and Rick- your children are beautiful, great to see a bit more of your family. I did not realise you still had young ones at home, I'm hoping to introduce more whole foods to my children with my changes in eating.

MeadowLily- you are amazing with all your encouragement, I'm so glad you have stuck with us while you race ahead.

Deb- you certainly have been challenged with your health, I love the positive outlook you take on moving forwards to a better way of supporting your body.

Dave- I'm not surprised you have a beautiful wife considering the man you are! Thanks for all the support and for opening the pathway to continued communication :D.

Abbyn- great to see you posting again, I hope you will jump over to the new thread with us (though the registration fee is a little exhorbitant).

Miki- I too would love a personal chef. When my ex partner and I split I became a bit lazy with cooking and tend to go simple as our household usually requires a couple of variations on meals with one son who is super fussy. Who knows maybe if I experiment more maybe he will too. I have to say though, for someone who claims not to like cooking you come up with some super impressive meals.

Higs- sounds like an amazing weekend with your dad, it's always inspiring to see someone of your dad's age full of so much energy and go, age has certainly changed. I like the idea of a treat, I'll have to think on that one. I'm always wondering with the popularity of slow cookers do you lose much nutrient with the long cooking time? Or have I just read to much on the opposite side if the fence with raw food (I have done a couple of short raw food challenges).

Laurie- great to see you back. I think there are probably more people about with poor relationships with food than positive ones but it is great to be amongst a group of people showing such commitment even when faced with great challenge.

Sadie- I hope your feeling well again. I'm looking at your answers to Debs questions and am inspired to look into leeks and breakfast sausage. I'm useless with complicated recipes but these sound like things I can do :D.

Rose- did you mention doughnuts? Doughnuts have been my best friend and enemy, when I was pregnant with my boys these were such a necessity, to the point that I gained over 30kg (66lb) with each pregnancy (I started my 1st pregnancy at 52kg and by the end of the pregnancy would not even look at the scales) :-/. Maybe you need to get your partner on board with what he should eat instead of making it easy for him, I tend to think the challenges help us to be more determined.

I'm not doing any good bye posts as I'm hoping to see everyone over in the new thread :) add to that I hate goodbyes. Instead I'm really excited to see what paths people follow from here and hope everyone continues this journey of health and happiness.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Yes, she is very beautiful......she was the only girl available the week I was planning on getting married....I guess I settled. She is soooooooo lucky to have me.....(don't ask her, take my word for it)! That pic was from our 20th anniversary getaway last year. We stayed at a Bed and Breakfast in St. Michaels, Maryland and had a wonderful time.

CC- I am also impressed that you have little ones....I never knew. You look like you guys are a moving and shaking kind of family. Good for you!

Cara - congrats on your success. This is just the beginning.....it was only 30 days, just think what could happen after a couple more W30's!

Abbyn - welcome back!

Goodnight dirty 69'ers!

Dave

Archived