9 June Start

dcducks1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At Urgent Care......might have a torn rotator cuff....ouch. Doc is impressed by my weight loss and said my blood pressure is that of a 22 year old. Had my teeth cleaned yesterday and got a clean bill of health from the dentist.

Laurie - thank you for trusting this group to be your "sounding board" as you transition thru this tough time. Sometimes listening is all that anyone really needs and our ears are wide open to you. Prayers of faith to you and your family.

Mini - stay tough with your son......he will appreciate it one day. You are grooming him now on how he should treat women in the future.

Got to go to xray......more later.

Dave

Dave, what???  Ouch and yikes!  I certainly hope your xrays show no tears.  But with your newfound great health (wow, congrats!!!!) you will bounce through recovery.

Laurie, yes to what others have already said:  of course you are welcome to share with us.  What you are going through is such a tough, tough thing and it is great that you are able to reach out and let everyone know how it's going.  And taking care of yourself is so, so important.  You are doing a great job with that.  Sending lots of warm thoughts and big hugs your way!

Dave, hope all is well with your shoulder, good grief, what were you doing, waxing the neighbors car?

Laurie, your strenghten is amazing!! Rose is right just take one thing at a time - don't worry about the what next, it will not do you any benefit. We are all pulling for ya'll!

As far as exotic, this has all been pretty much that way for me - each day has been a new, exciting, "exotic" adventure.  I made Beef, butternut, and pear stew last night for supper tomorrow night - that was way different than the stew my mama thought me to make :)

I will going out to eat with family (Husbands birthday)  for the first time since we started - I have been thinking of all of ya'lls earlier posts on much more difficult planning and have drawn much strenghten from that. My husband let me pick the resturant - that was nice, so steak, sweet potato, and salad it is. Not near as exciting as the yummy meals I have been fixing but it's not about the food, right??

Feeling pretty darn good today- started out with headache and runny nose, but all is better now. I finally broke down and visited my chiropractor yesterday and got some much needed relief in my shoulders - he ask me if I had been bailing hay - no just cleaning husbands shop and floods and the like - so thankful to have energy again.

Other good things - skin is looking better (not so old looking as it was 23 days ago) - my low fat/no fat diet had taken it's toll.

Clothes are fitting a bit better. Haven't been waking with night sweats. Less aches and pains. I am not going home and straight to bed after work, so bed sores are gone, ha!

Have a great day ya'll.

Xray shows nothing......need MRI now to see where the issue is.

Oh, crap.   I'm glad the X-ray shows nothing.   You've been going at it like a house-a-fire.   I'm going to pray they find nothing on the MRI except the good things.

MRI isn't until the 14th so I guess this thing (arm) will just be hanging off my side for awhile! It's going to be hard to climb trees and ropes one handed, but oh well! They gave me some meds for pain and to reduce swelling. I think I tore it while trying to break some very stubborn bolts loose on the car. More later...need to lay down for a bit! Haven't been sleeping good since I can't seem to get comfortable!

Dave

Laurie, hang in there. There are some good stem cell forums on Facebook if you have a look - people going through the same thing as you are. Its very interesting and also supportive. We are here for you of course and glad you are sharing. Sending strength to your boyfriend and to you. 

Sadie, so glad you are feeling better! 

Dave!! Rest!! Don't overdo it! 

Higs - how is the goat? I am excited about duck for lunch. 

Miki, your exercise plans are inspiring!!!!! 

I'm nervous because next week I start work on a show about holiday baking. Yes, its true. I am less nervous about possible temptation (although I expect to be annoyed by the cries of "ohhh noooo Debbb you can't have anyyyyy that's so  saddddd") - I have worked on a lot of cake shows and btw you and me the cakes are often not that good (to me anyway)..but I am worried about the long days and my ability to support myself foodwise in that space. We get provided with breakfast, lunch and dinner, but I expect only lunch to have good options. I'm looking closely at everyone's camping trip food and snack options and I'm thinking I'll pack myself a full pantry hamper of compliant things - lots of sex with my pants on probably but at least I'll stay compliant and be able to keep my energy running - and be able to drive home at midnight (or stay with Miki ;-) we're shooting in Manhattan Beach Mik).

On the positive side, I love my job, I get to work with my friends and I especially love doing interviews so that will be super fun.  After the holiday show, we do a kids baking show, which will be even more fun. But from July 8-30, my life will be owned by the shoot so, I just want to make sure I set myself up for success. 

Dave laying down in the middle of the day, what is the world coming to? I'm heartsick for you, but really cool how impressed doc was with weight removal ...HIGH FIVE>

Deb, you are welcome to the couch (seriously) anytime, but dinner might be an option too. Let me know next week, I'll try to keep my schedule loose.

Sadie, so glad to hear about all the wonderful things happening in your life.

Have I been missing Rosann's posts? Is she in Italy?

Back to work before I get arrested.

hugs

Mini

Dave, please try very hard to not overdo it with your shoulder -- very difficult for you I am sure with your energy level. My partner tore his rotator cuff but didn't have an MRI for over a year since he initially injured it. He thought it would heal itself. Well, by the time he finally had it looked at the damage (and subsequent surgery) was extensive. Take good care, wear a sling!

Deb, I love hearing about your food shows. I thought of you the other night when I surfed across the Next Food Network star. I ended up thawing Muscovy legs for dinner and will try the goat another night. Can't wait!

Sadie: I realized a few days ago that my night sweats had vanished, too. Hallelujah!

All: Go Team 6/9! Finishing stretch, y'all!

I can't figure out how to delete my triple post! So I'm editing it instead. 

Rose how did you delete your doubles? 

The only way I can delete is to erase everything you've typed and leave a dot or any symbol.  It won't let you erase everything.

Members don't have the ability to delete posts: only Moderators and other administrators can do so.

If you have a double (or triple) post in the future,  simply private message a Moderator with the link and we'll take care of deleting the extra posts.

Woke up early this morning to go for a run, and it felt darn good!  I was contemplating a 5k this weekend, but it doesn't start until 10am and we're in the middle of a heatwave in VA - it will be 85-90 degrees by then. So, I decided to pass, because there would be no joy in THAT! Instead I'll go for a run at 6am and save myself the $35 bucks!

I bought Rick and I a treat today:  The VEGGETTI!! I've never even seen one before, but it makes it easier to turn your zucchini into zoodles!

http://buyveggetti.com/Default.asp?bhcp=1

Sadie - I was just noticing today that I might have a few less wrinkles! I guess all that fat in my diet is plumping them out!  

Also, I have a weird skin condition I get only on the backs of my hands, and only in the summer time - not contagious, but SUPER itchy. I have a lotion that takes the edge off. I realized today that it has been TREMENDOUSLY better for about the last week, haven't even used my lotion!

Dave - ACK! So sorry about the shoulder. I will be praying for you that you don't need surgery. Either way, that's a tough one, especially for someone as active as you are. (I was a physical therapist in a past life :)

Deb - I seriously think about you and your job all the time. You are livin' my dream :)  I will only ask you one question:  I LOVE Alton Brown and have the greatest respect for him. But he seems a little grumpy since starting Cutthroat Kitchen. Is that an act?  

I can't really imagine being around all the holiday baking!!!  Rick and I packed meat and avocados wrapped up in lettuce leaves yesterday and it  was pretty good (not a chocolate cake, but good!)  Also, I may try plaintain flat bread down the line. It would give some extra sandwich type options.

That's all for now. I hope everyone has a great DAY 24! Can you believe it???

Howdy all!

Now I feel like I've been on the whole30 for much longer than 3 weeks.  No sugar cravings at all. Just the 

occasional lust for the flavor of chocolate on my palate.  Sleeping well but not enough. No need for afternoon

naps anymore, clothes definitely better fitting. No reflux, skin clearer and rosacea as minimal as I've seen it in 

years.  I've drunk the kool-aid (which of course is just unsweetened tea.)  Have to believe I am someone who 

really should follow the whole30 forever, but realistically know I can't.  Planning to go paleo slowly with reintro.

I still have a lot of tummy to lose.

Dave -  I pictured you holding up the car while you were working underneath the chassis and that's how you 

hurt your rotator cuff.  Or hunting your wild meat with a bow and arrow.  I'm sure you're taking ibuprofen 

around the clock already, but ice packs and rest are good too!  The good thing about the whole30 is that you 

are putting in lots of good stuff to help your body heal and hopefully reduce inflammation too.  So maybe 

you'll heal lightning quick. 

Laurie - please no apologies about posting your stresses - we are all hoping to hear that all the anxiety and prep

were worth it with his disease in remission afterward.  Getting therapy is the first thing I would recommend to 

someone in your situation and you've got that covered!  Patience is key - if you find you are having a hard time

taking the brunt of his stress/discomfort,  get yourself some time away everyday, even if it's just to go get a cup

of your favorite coffee and read a chapter in a good book.  What's good for you is ultimately good for him too.

Use the power of positive thinking.  It will rub off on those around you.  Make friends with the nurses when he

gets admitted and don't forget to get home and sleep in your own bed.  Hospitals are the absolute last place

to get rest (crazy, isn't it?) There are so many rules with transplant medicine so try to keep life as simple as you

can.

As per my usual - more food questions. Anyone here have backyard chickens?  I want some so bad, but my

subdivision outlawed them last summer when the city allowed them.  Higs, do your goats provide milk?  

I have to admit, the wild meat I'm consuming tonight is............chicken.

But I'm pretty dependent on the leftovers for lunch so that's as crazy as I can get tonite.

Went to Whole Foods this am.  Last time I spent like probably 45 minutes looking for coconut aminos, so when

I pulled in the lot, my kids groaned and my son made me swear I would only look for the six things on my list.

I got away with 10 items - could NOT walk by the fresh bing cherries screaming at me.   It's a weird event now,

shopping there.  Have to skip the whole cheese and bread section at the end of the store. I used to linger

there and nibble on samples.  This all about retraining the brain.  Work work work at retraining the brain.

No finger licking and no sampling.  I feel like it's starting to take hold, but I know I've got to keep working.

I think my first reintro food will be a chickpea. 

Sleep didn't really happen. I tried but the phone kept ringing with one office asking for referrals and appointments and yada yada yada! Went to see my primary care doc and talked him into looking at the xrays and giving me a cortisone shot............right down deep in the shoulder socket. Might have peed down my leg a little....wow that hurt! Everything feels greasy in there now so hopefully the swelling will go down and we can just keep on keepin on! Bad storms coming thru all night.....its the "energy gods" mad that I have been slowed up by such a pathetic little wound! My wife knows I will fight this ......and any rest associated with it. I fell a couple years ago while she was out shopping and slit my leg wide open. I told her it was a scrape and didn't remove the gauze wrap until her friend (a nurse) came over the next day. It turns out I probably needed STAPLES to close it back up but since I waited, they couldn't do anything but bandage it back up. Ha! That turned into two trips to the doctor that I DIDNT have to do! Success!

Sleep tight......

Dave

Long, but good day. Enjoyed reading your posts as I could. I'm off work for 4 days...wahoo. Hopefully that will be just the rejuvenation I need.

Dave, I hate that you are feeling punk. I shall send you healing.

I hate to admit I have no idea what Deb does. I don't watch much television and certainly not cooking shows. What kind of a girl am I? don't like to cook or shop.

Went on a nice hike this eve with a couple of girlfriends. Our goal is to get together but not have it include food at all. So tonight we hiked, walked, drank Evian and solved the problems of the world. It was wonderful.

Hugs to all the 69ers. My wild meet was wild caught tuna?

Her's to a rejuvenating weekend.

Hugs

Minx

Ok everyone the duck breast I had today was REDUCKULOUS!

But seriously it was amazing and so easy, slapped it in the cast iron for 5 mins fat side down. Then still in the cast iron, went into the oven for 20 mins at 400. While that was cooking I sauteed up some shallots with some cherries and squeezed a grapefruit into that pan. Whole 30 Duck Breast with Cherry Compote. Done. AMAZING and so easy. Make that shizz! Everyone at work was jealous. THAT'S RIGHT BITCHES! I can't eat yo cookies but I got the good duck!

Annnyways. Dave, you are a piece of work. Your wife must want to tie you to the bed sometimes. No not like that! Or maybe like that now that you've lost all the weight! But I digress. You must rest your arm otherwise it will get worse. Please please. 

Cara and CC you exercisers, I look to you and hope. 

Higs, awww I love that you guys are thinking of me. It is a fun gig and and one I used to dream of; I've been doing it 9 years - this is about my 3rd? 4th? 5th? career! But can be crazy stressful at times, we all have to remember that we're not saving lives. I'm sure you guys do that too with the books. I'm one of the older ones in reality tv, there are 23 year olds in short shorts nipping at my heels every day (I am 48) so that has pressures of its own as well. My age is a well kept secret at work. So tell no one! 

Mik, next week could be tough, Mon and Tues would be our best hope but most likely I'll be trapped there til late, will keep you posted though! May have more luck on the back end, last week of July. Would be amazing to see you! And bless you for the offer of the couch!

I know I am forgetting peeps, oh Anna I laughed at your kids and WF, my ex husb had to take me shopping when I was sick and he also would try to limit me to a certain no of items! I was like what! No! No limits in WF! 

Laurie I hope you guys are hanging in there. 

Rose how is the paleo mom-ing for your OH going? 

Allright my friends, on to our IOD, that sweet bounty of the summer, stone fruit!!

"Peaches and Cream"

http://www.lifemadefull.com/2012/05/29/caramelized-peaches-cream-no-sweeteners-or-dairy/

Pulled Pork with Balsamic Glazed Peaches

http://www.janssushibar.com/pulled-pork-balsamic-glazed-peaches/

Sauteed Pork Chop with Peaches

http://paleocomfortfoods.com/uncategorized/staying-the-course/

Grilled Peaches

http://everydaypaleo.com/grill-those-peaches-while-you-can/

Liver with Caramelized Peaches and Onion Compote

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/beef-liver-with-caramelized-peaches-and-onion-compote/

Chicken with Plums

http://www.seasonalandsavory.com/2012/09/chicken-with-italian-plums.html

Pork Tenderloin with Plums and Thyme

http://leafparade.com/2013/08/26/pork-tenderloin-with-stone-fruit-and-thyme/

Plum Braised Baby Bok Choy

http://kitchen-tested.com/2014/04/29/plum-braised-baby-bok-choy/

and these are prunes but I gotta post this recipe again bcs its one of my top 5 for this W30 - CHICKEN MARBELLA - (with olives and prunes) DELICIOUS

http://www.tessadomesticdiva.com/2012/10/paleo-chicken-marbella-healthified.html

Stone Fruit Chicken Tagine

http://www.homesweetjones.com/stonefruit-chicken-tagine/

Rosemary Apricot Mustard

http://www.seasonalandsavory.com/2014/01/rosemary-apricot-mustard.html

Apricocity

http://vahuntergatherers.com/2013/10/09/apricocity-farm-to-consumer-legal-defense-fund-baconpalooza-entry/

Pork Chops with Basil Apricot Relish

http://paleoperiodical.com/2012/05/17/recipe-mustard-grilled-pork-chops-w-basil-apricot-relish/

Moroccan Beef with Apricots and Dates

http://www.acalculatedwhisk.com/2014/01/moroccan-beef-with-apricots-dates.html

Pistachio and Apricot Chicken

http://www.wholefoodsimply.com/pistachio-and-apricot-chicken/

Apricot Pineapple Chutney over Baked Chicken

http://www.fitnessisdelicious.com/2013/05/22/apricot-pineapple-chutney-over-baked-chicken-recipe/

ENJOY!!!!

Tomorrow: the squash family

Just a quick note to say I stayed up past my bedtime waiting for the Muscovy thighs to finish braising and they were sooooo worth the wait! An excellent choice. I still have elk, boar and goat on the freezer for later -- results of my crazy meat shopping spree.

Greetings to my dear dirty 69ers, one and all,

First of all.. Dave. Harsh words coming. Sit down. You need to rest that injury or we'll come over and sing for you. Do you want that Dave? Do you want to make us all sing? Just imagine the noise we could make together, birds would fall from the sky midflight, cars would simply grind to a halt on the freeway. Don't make us do it, take care of yourself man.

Yeesh, I mean the man is a machine and all, but there are limits.

Anna, You gave me a real lift with your 'I think I'll start with a chickpea' reintro. I pictured a lone chickpea moored in the middle of a dinner plate. Since this is what everyone I explain the whole 30 to thinks I eat (despite being told that legumes are out), this is my new go-to image. In fact, I may take a photo of a single chickpea on a plate and post it as my profile pic. Oh the laughs we had.

Mik, love the sound of your walking gang, fixing it up for the rest of us. I see you all prowling the canyons, water bottle in one hand, fists clenched in rebellious salute.....seems to be a morning of odd imagining for me, huh? I wish I had a group of people like that (oh wait, I do, its all of you. Lets hike together today?) I think Rosann is awol at the moment, but I've decided that its because she has a super secret macaron mission underway and must keep a low profile for fear of discovery by an international ring of macarons recipe thieves. I see her in a black catsuit, slinking around the alleyways of Italy, collecting fantastic ideas for future innovations.

Higs, what was your protein yesterday? It has flown under my radar and now I am intrigued and must locate some from somewhere.

Deb, you're the coolest, made me laugh (or at least snort in recognition) so many times today. OH is doing pretty well, although he wandered blearily into the kitchen this morning with a very "Where's my breakfast at" look on his face, which could be dangerous for his well-being if too often employed. Dedicated fool that I am though, I got up midpost and made him some pesto scrambled eggs with spinach and bacon. That one's definitely going on the list of stuff that makes me cooler than him. Its a growing item, he needs to step up his game.

Today's story for the day is as follows:

Yesterday, during my daily workout, I was doing some boxer skipping when lo and behold, my previously snug yoga pants decided to take a vacation from my butt. Onto the floor they went. I literally exercised my pants off people. (And THAT folks, is how we use 'literally'-pedant out.)

Tomorrows story will somehow involve the correct usage of perverse and perverted. 

Love to all and hugs for Laurie, should they be needed. Oh, ok, you all get hugs. Because I likes ya.

Rose

Breakfast, all leftovers:  my "raspberry sorbet" (parsnip/carrot/beet puree) with last night's leftover duck fat braised mirepoix (looked up the spelling) plus a side of chicken/asparagus/leek hash-ish (not hashish, Rose, but "hash-like").  I could get used to this kinda breakfast, yum!

Muscovies are in the duck family but have similarities to geese.  They're the ones with caruncles on their heads and they like to roost in trees.   The males are HUGE, three times the size of mallard-derived duck breeds, and their quacks are hisses.  They are curious, sweet and friendly -- probably my favorite breed of ducks I've ever had.  I currently have a pair of them named Patsy Cline and Willem Dafoe.  (I ate their siblings a couple years back, but these two were kept to breed future generations.  Really they are pets.)  One thing you all don't know about me yet:  when holiday times come around I like to torture my animals by putting little Santa hats on their heads and taking selfies with them.  I also learned that there is a new term called "felfie" which is a "farmer selfie."  So, there you go.

post-46753-0-52065600-1404397694_thumb.j

Here is my tom turkey "Dark Meat" a couple Christmases ago.

Is this the phase of the Whole30 where we start to get really punchy?  I might be starting to feel like MeadowLily!

Archived