Dirty 30 "Best Group on W30"

dcducks1

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CC way to go resisting all of that and being aware of the BLTs. 

Would LOVE to see you here in LA! 

Miki, cats are sooooo gorgeous!!! 

How was picnic? 

I snuck on over to Venice after work for a Kippy's coconut cream/honey ice cream! It was so good! Although I did crash afterwards from the honey - but did not get the cranks a la sugar. 

Meadow chia seeds are compliant but not encouraged on W30

Here's a thread - interesting

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/3458-chia-seeds/

They are a good substitute for eggs if you are not eating eggs:

http://www.foodrenegade.com/how-make-egg-substitute-chia-seeds/

And of course chia pudding - yum

http://stupideasypaleo.com/2012/12/02/coconut-chia-pudding/

Have you read Blue Zones? Its all about the places in the world where people live to be over 100 and what they do (including Okinawa). So interesting. The trends seem to be: physically active, strong sense of community, eating off the land/lots of fresh herbs and spices.

He wrote another book called Thrive about the "happiest" places in the world. Also very interesting. 

I have never seen the purple potatoes! Will have to look. 

Lets all go to Hawaii!

Morning all. So impressed by everyone :D......... Actually evening now, I started typing this morning but forgot to push 'post' oops.

Yesterday was supposed to be non-gluten grain re-intro day but we were out all day so I decided to do another dairy and had a frozen youghurt, otherwise it's been Whole30. I did have my 1st store bought Kombucha this week and low and behold I was taken back to the 1990's. We used to make this in our garage, apart from the gross looking top layer and the floaties, I can't remember too much about the making process, it tended to be my ex's baby. As for the sugar, not that I remember us adding sugar, but apparently sugar is needed early in the process but it is eaten up in the making, so as long as sugar is not being added after it should be compliant.

Higs- your reunion sounds great. Are you a musician? I can't wait to hear more and hopefully you have a few photos to share :D.

MeadowLily- my gosh you are beautiful, both on the inside and outside. I loved seeing a photo of you and hearing about your energy! Thanks for all the potatoe info too. I'm a little scared to drop the sweet potatoes now, as my runs improved when I added more to my diet, not sure if it was co-incident or the potatoe.

Deb- oh you are brave with all that blind dating, I have never officially been on a blind date. The idea of it scares the hell out of me. Thanks for the links, I have a big tub of chia seeds in the cupboard, wish the push was not to avoid them :(

Dave- you and your wife make a beautiful couple live seeing your pics fo and hearing everything you share!

Rose- was thinking of you at the funeral. I have such mixed feelings with funerals, I'm not keen on having one myself, ridiculous that I hate the idea of being centre of attention even in passing.

CC- yay visit Australia too :D, I love the idea of Hawaii, just not thing stopping me on that one, $. I might have to buy a tattslotto ticket :D. Well done on the travel and avoiding the party food temptation. I've done lots of avoiding food being out all day the last 2 days and by the time I got home I was starving, still feeling the need to snack after dinner now, but I'm avoiding that too.

Miki- beautiful cats. I have our cat sitting with her back to me as I type, strange as she is usually in bed with a child by now. I hope the picnic and date have gone well!

Next Friday night we have a Christmas in July work party, I'm planning on loosening the reigns and drinking that night, but kind of scared too. Wondering if it will hit me like a ton of bricks with all this clean eating. On top of this it feels wrong in a way putting something in your body that you know is only going to do negatives.

Good Morning,

These are my children.  Sorry it is just a back view.  I'm having trouble attaching the picture I wanted to us.  The black cat, Rebecca Peyton, is 6 years old.  Her brother's name is Elby Joshua and he is 4 years old. 

Steve's biopsy was uneventful - which is good.  Well, it was sort of eventful because the nurse practitioner let me stay in the room for the procedure.  Last time, I was not allowed to be there.  As long as I didn't think I would faint, my attendance was permitted.  No problem for me. 

I'm meeting my mom, sister and sister's friend for brunch.  Just realized the time.  Must shower and get ready in 15 minutes.  See you all later. Have a great day.

Laurie

post-958-0-20786500-1405865328_thumb.jpg

exhausted...lost two posts today.

Deb - saw your post with the capers and anchovies...sounds too yummy. You and Cara got your FROYO fix...good for you! Lets meet! I'll extrovert enough for the both of us, it's time.

Meadow - I too read the Blue Zone book, very interesting.

I'm posting every few because I seem a little computer lame today.

Laurie - continue to be an exemplary mate by taking care of yourself so you can take care of your beloved.  I love the cow-cat.

CC & R - hope you're having a magical week. I'm so impressed by how you love and support each other. I'm looking for my Rick...we'll see how blind date goes.

Deb, I laughed as you went through your dates. I have Drunk Dave, Iron foot, No foot (don't hate me, it's just a fact), The smoker, The lisp, The stripper addict, 500 - I'm still married, but we haven't..., Woman Hater, Mr. I don't give more than 3 words answers.

Then gentleman today is Romanian. I've never gone on a date with anyone from Romania...so I will have a full report.

First, driving with my darling Kevin.

miki

Rosann, birthday girl, whatcha doin? No food reports, we know it's your special weekend, just want to know about the birthday festivities etc.

Darling Dave, what are you and Ms Kelly up to?

Meadow...a husband who is a chef, excellent. Have fun at the fair...I want to go to the fair, i may just have to take myself, but I don't think that would be fun.

Miki

G'morning, all. Goodness, I have to get here more often because there is SO MUCH going on with ya'll. Love it. I can't comment directly because I get confused, but....... I love when you post meal plans because it helps me see this thing more clearly, I love all of the encouragement here, I love the photos that are starting to get posted, I love the acceptance, I love that you are starting to become "real" people and not just posts. Keeping on with this group was great idea. Thanks to whoever made it happen.

My birthday dinner with the gals was loads of fun. I thoroughly enjoyed my big burger (bun and all) and the few fries. We split a dessert 3 days. Once in a while that's necessary. I try to enjoy every bite and not think of it as cheating because that takes away some of the enjoyment. Just a special treat for my mouth that my body can handle occasionally. My gals have been in my life for over 20 years. There used to be 4 who got together regularly (4th one didn't die - just moved to Idaho). Between us we had 34 children (4 biological and 30 adopted). We were lifelines for one another - still are. Our children loved getting together because they could be with other multi-cultural, adopted, homeschooled kids. We used to always tell the hostess, "Put us in a quiet corner. We don't want to be around children -- we left our 34 children at home." Good times those were.

There was an interesting article by a local plastic surgeon in our newspaper this morning: "High fat, low-carb diet may be healthy." Pretty interesting and well balanced, I thought. Explained why high-fat (I don't really like the connotation of that term) and low carb diet may be just the ticket to better health for those who are obese have insulin resistance, diabetes or heart disease.

I'm still trying to balance my daily eating habits to find what will work for me long term. I struggle thinking of whole grains as "bad guys". Gratefully, I have no health problems and don't really feel physically different no matter what I eat. (Makes me feel a little ashamed, sometimes. LOL) Mostly food is an emotional thing for me. I am happy and carefree when my eating is in control -- no matter what my weight (within reason, of course). I try to think healthfully rather than calorie or weight-wise. I need to determine if the 80/20 thing will work for me (that is pleasing to my brain to ponder) or if just that little bit of "off program" will cause me to spiral out of control. Interested in other thoughts on this one.

Miki -- looking forward to date update. Laughed at all of the date-types you've had. I haven't dated since my divorce almost 7 years ago. I think that might be in my past forever. Don't know. Hearing some horror stories makes me pretty glad! LOL Interested in hearing how the Romanian fared.

Meadow, can't wait to hear about the fair/see pics! 

Are your hogs up for a prize? 

I don't think our fairs out here can compare. I went to the Orange County Fair and all there was was deep fried butter and giant turkey drumsticks, not hot guys in livestock barns. 

Your hubs sounds like the dream "man of the land". 

Laurie, the fur kids are so cute, awww. Such great names!! Glad the biopsy went well. 

Rosann, your posse of gals sounds amazing. I have friends scattered far and wide and a good close selection here in LA but no one group where we are all that close; that is awesome. 

Miki, can't wait for the date report! 

Cara, how are you faring with the dairy re intro?

My coconut cream ice -treat yesterday was partially raw chocolate (the only other ingreds are coconut cream and raw honey) so that was a re intro for me - no seeds for 6 weeks (cocoa - seed). I definitely felt a little achey and tender afterwards...booo. 

I'd like to do a Dirty 30 World tour to visit everyone - state fair with Meadow, to the island with Dave, Higs farm (I'm calling it a farm), and Portland, biking with CC and Rick, macarons with Roseann and Laurie, Phillip Island to see Cara and the penguins, and of course Ireland to kiss the blarney stone with Rose. Miki, you and I will tear up LA as soon as I get through this shoot. Who am I missing?

Its quiet here in the Hollyhood today, last night my landlord sent an e mail saying someone in the building has cockroaches and does anyone else? AHHHH. I have seen nary a bug in this apartment, which feels more like a little house and I love it, but in previous places have been through the gamut of pest torture from giant waterbug roaches and mice in NYC to rats disturbed by work on the basement in a (gorgeous) sublet here in LA. This is all leading up to - I had a terrible nights sleep dreaming of possible pests. I feel pretty confident that nothing bigger than an ant would survive long with Le Grand Orange. I am hoping this is some paranoid person who has never lived in NYC and freaked out at a solo traveler bug. 

Annnnnnwayyy. Ramping up today for 6 day stretch so cooking is on the agenda. 

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Miki - I think the Romanians are lovers, so you may be in for a treat!  I had a happily married neighbor couple who were Romanian. The husband was about 25 years older than me, but he was always flirtatious and wanting to hug me, LOL!

Today I am reading the Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf, and just had to share this little nugget:

"You may want to dismiss this stuff, but think about it like this: Most people feel like they can stay in a monogamous, lifeling relationship. Sure, giving up dating life might cut a little excitement from your Saturday nights, but there are other benefits to a long-term relationship. Well, what if we dropped you off at the Playboy mansion and let's say we got you falling down drunk and dosed you to the gills on Ecstasy? Would you remain monogomous? Highly unlikely, and this is my point: refined carbs are like an exstasy-soaked beer binge at the Playboy mansion. This is a battle you will not win, so stack the cards in your favor."

That made me laugh! I think I need to post that on my mirror as a daily reminder!!

I went for a four mile run this morning and then Rick and I started swim training this afternoon. Lots of endurance to build in the next 8 weeks!

CC - " refined carbs are like an exstasy-soaked beer binge at the Playboy mansion. This is a battle you will not win, so stack the cards in your favor." Soooooo good. I need that on my fridge, too! It is true with me. It's like I stand back and watch in horror as I self destruct.

Morning everyone. Personals tonight as it's hard to explain your late for work as you were chatting to the awsome people from the 'Dirty 30'. No side effects from my frozen yoghurt (slight headache but I'm thinking that's lack of sleep and not a minute to myself this weekend). I really need to do my non gluten grains. I just hate buying things that I then have no further plans to eat.

Hearing chatter about raw foods makes me think I need to take a look at some of my raw recipe stock pile. I did a couple of raw food challenges last year and prefer most vegetables raw (raw corn is awsome in a salad, such a shame it's not Whole30 or paleo).

Rosann I don't get any options, I'm usually posting from an iPad, so I don't know if that's the problem.

I still have visions of my favourite lollies and I'm pretty much sure I'm not ready to start on them, or I'll be entering one of those "ecstasy-soaked beer binges." I am keen to make some jellies like these though.... http://meatified.com/healthy-sour-watermelon-gummies/

Archived