Whole30 approved almond milk?

Hey everyone I'm starting my whole 30 journey on Monday! Went food shopping today to start preparing. I couldn't find any coconut milk in h store that didn't have additives (both in the dairy aisle and the canned coconut milks) instead I bought Califia farms unsweetened Almond milk. The only ingredient listed is almondmilk but since I got home from the grocery store everything I read online says almond milk is not whole 30....do we think this one is ok since if has no additives???

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almond milk is compliant if indeed the ONLY ingredients are almonds, water. 

Because almonds and water are both compliant. 

So finding it in a store it would be a boutique brand or made by a local juice place most likely. 

I have found it like that here in LA. 

Making it yourself is great:

http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/06/17/homemade-almond-milk/

The only canned coconut milk that truly has no additives is Natural Value and its hard to find, but you can order online:

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Value-Coconut-Milk-Ounce/dp/B000LKVIEG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407617264&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+value+coconut+milk

Califia farms unsweetened Almond milk. The only ingredient listed is almondmilk

Look a little closer. The califa farms unsweetened almond milk would be compliant if it only contained almonds and water but that brand has a teeny tiny ingredients label that tells you it has these ingredients too: Contains Less Than 2% Of The Following: Vitamin/ Mineral Blend (Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Vitamin D2, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Zinc), Gellan Gum, Carrageenan, Potassium Citrate, Sunflower Lecithin, Natural Flavors, Sea Salt.

The Carrageenan rules this beverage out for use on the whole30.

I'm so excited because i bought raw almonds for almond milk!  Soaking those bad boys tonight to make some tomorrow :).  Sprouts has raw almonds on sale for $4.99/lb this week. 

Trader Joe's has a light coconut milk with just coconut milk and water.  These are canned, though. If you were looking for a coconut milk "drink"-  you won't find a compliant one. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Look a little closer. The califa farms unsweetened almond milk would be compliant if it only contained almonds and water but that brand has a teeny tiny ingredients label that tells you it has these ingredients too: Contains Less Than 2% Of The Following: Vitamin/ Mineral Blend (Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Vitamin D2, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Zinc), Gellan Gum, Carrageenan, Potassium Citrate, Sunflower Lecithin, Natural Flavors, Sea Salt.

The Carrageenan rules this beverage out for use on the whole30.

I read the label and it does not list carrageenan as an  ingredient-also the front of the bottle says "Carrageenan free"

I read the label and it does not list carrageenan as an  ingredient-also the front of the bottle says "Carrageenan free"

The listed ingredients are: almondmilk (water, almonds), contains less than 2# of the following:  vitamin/mineral blend (calcium cargonate, vitamin a, vitamin e, vitamin d2, vitamin b12, vitamin b2, zinc), sunflower lecithin, sea salt, potassium citrate, natural flavors, locust bean gum, gellan gum.

Does this list look Whole 30 "legal" ??

thank you!

Jeantte

Califa may have changed their formulation since this was first posted, or they may use a different formula in different parts of the country. If it doesn't have off-plan ingredients it is ok to have on the whole30. It's not something we would particularly recommend having, but it is ok.

• Moderators

Almond Milk is it allowed when it has calium carbonate listed in it?

Calcium carbonate is okay. if you want to avoid it, you can make your own almond milk or look for canned coconut milk which typically has fewer ingredients and is easier to find with nothing but coconut and water, or sometimes coconut, water, and guar gum (which is also ok for Whole30).

The Additives Cheat Sheet has a list of many additives and whether or not they're okay, and often if you google Whole30 + whatever ingredient you're wondering about, you can find past discussions.

Oh my goodness... I just bought a Blendtec this week on Amazon, and a 3lb bag of raw almonds from Sam's Club (9 cups!). I soaked 1 cup of the almonds last night, and this morning rinsed off all the bad stuff that had risen. Dumped it in the blender with 4 cups of water and a vanilla bean, pressed the nifty "Whole Juice" button, and 45 secs later I had a rich, creamy almond milk. I also bought a nut sack to strain it through (saving the almond meal for something else) and popped some in my morning iced coffee.

IT WAS AMAZING!!! Totally different from the Califia Unsweetened Almond Milk I'm used to... this is just fresher AND sweeter. Although I'm over 2 weeks into my Whole30 now and WOW is everything super sweet. I used to add a date or two to my salads, but it's just too much now.

Thinking about trying a chocolate almond milk, essentially just adding a couple of tablespoons of cacao powder to the blend, or maybe some cacao nibs for a bit of crunch. I can't believe how good this stuff is. I'll never buy packaged almond milk again.

This was my first use of the Blendtec. Tonight, I'm going to cook up some cauliflower and add it into the blender with some of my chicken bone broth and press the "Soup" button. Creamy cauliflower soup! I have some Whole30 compliant ham to add to that too... :)

Homemade nut milk is so much easier than it sounds, just like mayo.

Beware of adding too many things in your nutmilks, it's pretty easy to get into SWYPO and food with no brakes territory.

Try some other kinds of nuts: hazelnuts, macadamias, etc (I actually prefer these two over almond)

Archived