Your (compliant) guilty secret...?

Demobhappy

Ok, so I'm on day 41 of my first W45, and just had lunch at home - a little bit of leftover chicken salad with paleo mayo, and a huge plate of cabbage, leeks and chorizo fried in goose fat. It was really tasty, healthy and completely compliant, and I could have eaten another whole plate of it, but it did get me thinking about some of the meals I'm preparing just for myself on W30 which I would never offer anyone else (however yummy they taste), because friends and family would think it was a very weird plate of food.

What are you scarfing happily that would have seemed pretty odd to you pre-W30?

For me, it's sausages. I love the compliant sausages that I've found. I have always hated sausages - intestines stuffed with the random bits that no one wanted to eat (perhaps because my dad always said that sausages and hot dogs had the "lips and a$$holes"?). Now that I have found clean eating sausages (even better when they are kosher, because then you know it isn't from a random part!!).

For me, it's sausages. I love the compliant sausages that I've found. I have always hated sausages - intestines stuffed with the random bits that no one wanted to eat (perhaps because my dad always said that sausages and hot dogs had the "lips and a$$holes"?). Now that I have found clean eating sausages (even better when they are kosher, because then you know it isn't from a random part!!).

Oh, oh, oh Frantastic....I don't know if you would last a day around my house.   Are you familiar with offal?   :D 

There are various vegetables that I have absolutely fallen in love with since I switched up my diet. Zucchini! I didn't even used to like zucchini...now I eat it every day. Zoodles as prepared in Well Fed...omg. I could eat and eat and eat those. I think they are a lot of work though. I just recently started pan-frying sliced zucchini with the same recipe and it tastes just as good, but is much quicker to make. Mashed cauliflower...twice-baked yams with cinnamon and clarified butter...plain baked sweet potatoes...baked parsnip disks with salt and pepper...I just can't believe how much I love vegetables now! 

• Administrators

Mine is not so much something I think is weird but something I nearly refuse to share because I love it too much.  PaleOMG Buffalo Chicken "Pasta" using zoodles instead of spaghetti squash. 

I try not to make it too often and I try to coincide it's creation with a day that my hubby is not home or has something else to eat.  TOO much deliciousness!

• Moderators

Rutabaga hash

Velvety Butternut Squash from Well Fed

Roasted Spaghetti with Marinara Sauce, Veggie and a sprinkle of Nutritional Yeast - way more flavorful than pasta!

Braunschweiger from US Wellness Meats. SO FREAKING TASTY!!

Beef Liver with Onions and Lemon from Well Fed 2. Who knew liver was so good?

JJP, you've given me some great ideas for new ways to fix veggies!  I almost always steam, sometimes roast or sautee, but that's about it.  I'm not bored yet but I will be at some point I'm sure! 

This never seemed odd to be before Whole30, but I'd never had almond butter (because I was addicted to peanut butter...).  I bought a jar of Trader Joe's crunchy salted almond butter last week and have to restrain myself from eating the whole thing at once with a spoon!  It is delicious!

Kale. I eat as much of it as possible, and my kids are now used to my mixing kale in with their favorite vegetables, too. Interestingly, my son won't touch spinach but loves kale and will scarf it down.  He always asks to make sure something is kale and not spinach.

And mayo. I used to eat very little mayonnaise; in fact, I didn't like regular mayo but preferred Miracle Whip (because only God knows what's in it!).

But now that I make my own mayo with avocado oil and lime juice + splash of apple cider vinegar, I can't get enough and put it in just about every dish: eggs, beef, greens... everything tastes better with a little tangy mayo.  

I hate mayo (and nothing will ever change that) but I was thinking of you today, Demobhappy, as I was having lunch, which was a bunch of braised cabbage with chunks of chicken and cucumbers, with ACV sprinkled over the whole mess. It sounds so gross but it was delicious!

I hate mayo (and nothing will ever change that) but I was thinking of you today, Demobhappy, as I was having lunch, which was a bunch of braised cabbage with chunks of chicken and cucumbers, with ACV sprinkled over the whole mess. It sounds so gross but it was delicious!

Frantastic...that makes two of us.  I didn't make any mayo either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Avocados! I usually only have them occasionally due to the price, but I stock up when I can price match them and eat them up during Whole30. My favorite snack is to slice & drizzle them with EVOO and sprinkle with sea salt & crushed red pepper flakes. But I also find that I just add them to just about any dish to make it spectacular. My new favorite is making chicken salad with avocado instead of mayo. I can't stop eating that up! SO good.

Archived