Roll call: November Whole30s!

ladybugger14

Well low on some supplies, meat and stuff to make dressing mainly,  and vehicle in the shop so can't get to the store.  I admit last night I stared at Papa John's website and started creating a pizza, cancelling and starting again.. This lasted about 30 minutes debating hunger vs I can just start again, but in the end closed it and made an omelette.   I still have eggs and veggies so hopefully will have my vehicle back soon or able to get a ride to able to resupply before I run out of those. 

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi WebNetSu from Florida. Just joined whole 30. On my 3rd day and I can only say I am right on track with the Daily. Feeling tired but excited. Did go to the gym and then had to nap. Oh well it will all work out I am sure. The information I am getting is priceless and keeps me on track.

I went to the Dr on Thursday and got a taper dose of prednisone: 

50mg on Thur, 50 on Friday, on Sat I only took 20 and then 20 on Sunday Oct- 27 to Nov 2nd

Since then I have taken maybe 20mg total just when I am very wheezy and the rescue inhalers are not working. So I will say they have not gotten any worse at this time. 

My mom and niece- whom I live with say that my snoring is much less and others around me have commented that my breathing sounds so much better. 

Today someone told me that my skin looked radiant - so that was nice to hear. Also I have so much energy- I don't know what to do- I'm not tired all the time.

Day 10! Done and I feel so much better today. My goal today was to make it through my second crossfit session without collapsing in a heap which thankfully I did. I am thinking about perhaps switching to green tea instead of coffee but that might be the endorphins from crossfit talking:) I also think I should perhaps not buy nut butter anymore..nuts themselves arent my thing but nut butter!!! My off switch seems to vanish! Other than that im sticking to three meals a day without snacking and drinking tons of water. I also start each day with hot water, lemon, and apple cider vinegar...it seems to help wake me up. I think one of my favorite finds is zoodles..who knew zucchini could sub for pasta?? By the way, zucchini in the UK are called courgettes and eggplant is aubergine. Who knew? Hope everyone is surviving!

Hey everyone! Wow, it's hard to believe it's already the middle of November. Where does the time go?

I'm on day 11 here and feeling pretty awesome! I had another huge victory last night when I went over to a girlfriends house for dinner. They were all drinking wine and have appetizers, which I politely refused and they were very respectful of that. I brought supplies to make twice baked butternut squash and made dinner for all 4 of us. And...they absolutely loved it!! Wine has probably been the most difficult for me to stay away from. Otherwise, (and VERY surprisingly) I really haven't had too many other cravings or urges. 

I have had so much fun trying new foods and recipes. I've seen some comments about using a spiralizer and that thing has been my life during this Whole30. I absolutely love it. I use it on all things that can be spiralized! 

I hope everyone is still going strong and feeling great. I really hope the TIGER BLOOD is coming to us all soon! :)

I have six kids and was nursing a 3 at one point. Here are my thoughts...

You need an additional 500-700 calories above your normal daily intake for milk production. Increasing your calories is key.

Hydration and sleep are both very important.

Make sure you are taking a good multivitamin or at least folate, b complex, calcium, magnesium, and trace minerals.

Some other things to try:

Certain foods can cause gassiness like cabbage, sometimes kale, brusselsprouts, etc. you could experiment with substituting other veggies if those are a daily part of your diet.

Also, you should be eating 100-150 grams or more of carbs if you are nursing. If your carbs are too low, you could be giving off ketones which can impact the taste of your milk and be off putting to your baby. You supply may be tanking because your baby isn't eating as much because of the taste, and your body is responding to the reduced demand.

Try applying fennel oil directly to your milk ducts to stimulate production.

You can also try Motilium,an anti-constipation OTC med that increases milk supply for some women.

Hang in there and Keep us posted!

So I am just checking in to update quick.  I know that I need extra calories when breastfeeding. If I don't eat enough my body has always let me know.  I feel lightheaded and shaky.  That being said, I felt like I was eating all day for the first 8 days.  I was going through more meat and oil and veggies than I felt I could keep up with.  We went through 15 pounds of potatoes in like 2 weeks. Yesterday I made the decision to go off plan and I made lactation cookies with brewers yeast in them and I hardly ate any veggies all day. Today my baby is like a new person.  I can feel my milk supply returning and he has barely cried all day and he has had no gas.   I hadn't been eating any of the normal gassy baby veggies to begin with because I had already determined a while ago he couldn't handle them.  We are going to come back to the Whole30 when he is older.  My husband told me he felt a little sad about stopping but we both definitely want to give it a second try later.  Neither of us suffer from major ailments or diseases so for right now if eating a sandwich gives me a happy baby, then that is what I will eat.   

Angledge-I actually use a tiny handheld julienne cutter...I couldnt find a spiralizer locally so I made do with that for the time being. Itskind of a pain but I love zoodles so no pain, no gain! Im actually asking my husband for all these appliances for Christmas...I have officially become my mother.

Today has been a tough day I have been craving sugar a little. I had a bacon, sweet potato, apple and onion hash for breakfast. When I came back from taking the kids to school I was hungry so I had a compliant date and nut bar and then I was craving sugar constantly. I had a cup of decaf coffee with coconut milk and that helped a little, then I went to the hairdressers (not sure the Hatrwigs would be happy about me having my hair dyed blond, turquoise and blue but it's better than grey). Lunch was tomato soup. Cravings were better but I had it in my head that I just wanted the 30 days to be over ( I won't quit what I start). My husband came home and didn't help my mood, I asked if I could leave the red wine out of the bolognaise sauce to make it compliant and he said no why should his food be bland because of my stupid diet. We had strong words about his lack of support and how I would have thought he would like to see me out of pain. Anyway I put the stupid wine in the sauce and ate more of the bacon hash. His attitude has made me more determined to finish this I am stubborn like that. Exercise was yoga don't want to ruin my hair by getting too sweaty.

jess in the uk - what kind of spiralizer do you use? I want to get one, but I can't decide on a brand.

Anyone else using a spiralizer? They look like a great tool for cutting veggies into more interesting shapes.

I use this one and I am really happy with it

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spiralz-Vegetable-Spiralizer/dp/B003NXR086/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1415835693&sr=1-1&keywords=spiralizer

Hi all- hmmm snow for Christmas !!! how lovely - just once I would love to experience a white Christmas! the weather in Melbourne is stunning today , beautiful yesterday and freaking scaulding in Adelaide which means really hot weather on the way!!

I'm on days off and ready to shop and cook up a storm. all the prep for the next round:)

Like some of you I'm flying solo in the house and it seems my massive addiction at this point is to continually jump on the scales to see if I've made any progress!

How naff is that- I know that success is measured by so much more BUT I can't see the changes internally, my clothes arn't any looser -YET- add to this major impatience and years of weighing my worth by what a bunch of numbers says and I'm finding it very very challenging not to step on those little suckers ROFL

Joy I love the sound of that zucchini and ginger soup  and who posted about the bacon wrapped scallops seriously want to try those!

Praxis if that slow cooker roast pork is from well fed 2 it is so scrummy, tender and not enough no matter how big the piece was that you cooked lol

Happy eating everyone- ty for the different menu ideas by the way.

P.S I hope you guys know how seriously quick it is to cook with your sandwhick press- strips of marinated (or not) chicken cook in about 3-4 mins, sliced vegies so fast ie eggplant, zucchini sticks, sweet potatoes, srambled eggs and bacon ;)  give it a go :)

jess in the uk - what kind of spiralizer do you use? I want to get one, but I can't decide on a brand.

Anyone else using a spiralizer? They look like a great tool for cutting veggies into more interesting shapes.

I have the pencil-sharpener style and I don't recommend it. I went back to a plain julienne peeler and plan to get the crank-style soon.

So I am just checking in to update quick.  I know that I need extra calories when breastfeeding. If I don't eat enough my body has always let me know.  I feel lightheaded and shaky.  That being said, I felt like I was eating all day for the first 8 days.  I was going through more meat and oil and veggies than I felt I could keep up with.  We went through 15 pounds of potatoes in like 2 weeks. Yesterday I made the decision to go off plan and I made lactation cookies with brewers yeast in them and I hardly ate any veggies all day. Today my baby is like a new person.  I can feel my milk supply returning and he has barely cried all day and he has had no gas.   I hadn't been eating any of the normal gassy baby veggies to begin with because I had already determined a while ago he couldn't handle them.  We are going to come back to the Whole30 when he is older.  My husband told me he felt a little sad about stopping but we both definitely want to give it a second try later.  Neither of us suffer from major ailments or diseases so for right now if eating a sandwich gives me a happy baby, then that is what I will eat.

Happy babies are so important! This will wait. If you are sad about stopping, you are clearly already focused on healthy eating. Enjoy the nursing while it lasts...soon your "baby" is nine years old and too embarrassed to get a kiss from mom at the school bus stop. Sigh. :(

Hey Team November--what a brilliant group this is turning out to be!

--that's much like mine--I think ours is a Paderno. Fun fact: Last year, three W30s down, I bought my husband the spiral slicer for Christmas. Interestingly, there was a box much the same size under the tree for me from him...yep, he got me one, too. Great minds think alike! haha

Today has been a tough day I have been craving sugar a little. I had a bacon, sweet potato, apple and onion hash for breakfast. When I came back from taking the kids to school I was hungry so I had a compliant date and nut bar and then I was craving sugar constantly. I had a cup of decaf coffee with coconut milk and that helped a little, then I went to the hairdressers (not sure the Hatrwigs would be happy about me having my hair dyed blond, turquoise and blue but it's better than grey). Lunch was tomato soup. Cravings were better but I had it in my head that I just wanted the 30 days to be over ( I won't quit what I start). My husband came home and didn't help my mood, I asked if I could leave the red wine out of the bolognaise sauce to make it compliant and he said no why should his food be bland because of my stupid diet. We had strong words about his lack of support and how I would have thought he would like to see me out of pain. Anyway I put the stupid wine in the sauce and ate more of the bacon hash. His attitude has made me more determined to finish this I am stubborn like that. Exercise was yoga don't want to ruin my hair by getting too sweaty.

That is rough; sorry to hear that @joybedford. Work around by taking yours out before the wine goes in, so you get the fruits of your labour, too? We had pork bolognese the other evening--compliant, and everyone ate it. I think at some point they stopped asking what's in it, and I stopped asking what they wanted in it! Sneaky, but effective. ;)  

IMG_26751.jpg

Dinner tonight WAS really good!!

Pork: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/03/chef-daniel-patterson_n_6085240.html

BBQ Sauce: http://thehealthyfoodie.com/smoky-hot-bbq-sauce/

Slaw: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3955306349/red-cabbage-slaw-with-tangy-carrot-ginger-dressing

Sweet Potatoes: just cut into wedges, covered with ghee, salt, & pepper, then baked for 400 degrees F for about 30 minutes.

@angledge, that sounds delish! Love the pork recipe--but think the article is WAY off when it says if you cooked it whilst you slept you probably won't want it for several hours...What? Why wait?? (-probably an overactive id, I guess!)

Anyway, spent today trying to knock this bug on the head, and I think I'm there, so off to work tomorrow. We had the FAB butter chicken that Tom Denham makes, and I'll have that for M2 tomorrow. M1 is pumpkin porridge, with a handful of chopped almonds, and a chopped date and apple on top, with a sprinkle of coconut thrown in for good measure. Links and pics can be found on my W30 food log #5

One thing I must say, is I KNOW that if I don't do food the night before (as in prepare), then I don't eat the next day. Or I do, but the food choices are crap. I just don't like food within the first hour of my day. At all. A glass of water with lime, a strong coffee with coconut cream...and THEN food. But just don't make me prepare it in the morning. And without fail, the moment I've not followed this tiny principle, the foundation in good choices starts to crack... 

Have a great night all--tomorrow is Day 8 for me.  

Day 11 done. I started feeling tempted to go off plan, so I weighed myself to remind me why I am doing this. 6 lbs down. I think I'll stick with it!

I have been cooking for a guest plus the family twice a day for the last five days. Most days I made a fresh meal for them and ate leftovers or made myself something else. Tonight I was planning on making two meals but I really didn't feel like it at 5 pm, so I made a compliant meal for everyone! It was baked potatoes (sweet for me), and Everday Paleo's Sirloin Dijon with spinach. Super simple! And no complaints. If necessity is the mother of invention, then a worn out chef is the mother of making everybody eat paleo. Or something like that.

Joybedford, I gotta agree with the pp who said to just make it, don't tell them what's in it! But I thought we were allowed to cook with alcohol? I don't use it to cook with myself, so I'm not up on the rules. I am sorry your hubby is being so mean. That is so hard on you.

Christaeno, so glad baby is feeling better!

Well it's Day 13 for me in Oz, and wow, we are forecast to have a heatwave and I'm reading about all you Americans in the snow!! 

Very warm here which is great for eating cold salads and leftover meats, but I'm not really interested in some soups and hot meals at the moment that I'd love to be cooking.

I'm having some success with the kids which is great, they have decided they want to start trying different things, and my 7yo says his tastebuds are changing! They have now decided that they finally like onion! If I can convince 7yo to try something then 5yo will just follow suit. Have had my hubby away this week for work so it has been great that they are not giving me too much grief about the food!

So not sure about anyone else, but my toothpaste is starting to taste super sweet! It's one for sensitive teeth and usually tastes horrible, but now it just tastes like a mouthful of sugar and it's not even like I'm eating it, just brushing my teeth!! lol

I'm starting to struggle a little with my food choices, feeling like I need more crunch, so I read on here someones suggestion of sweet potato chips cooked in coconut oil. We had that with dinner last night and it was lovely, had the kids fighting over the crunchiest bits too!! Anyone else got some more suggestions for crunchy foods to add? I used to have crunchy noodles in salads, crackers things like that I'm missing....

I fell. My biggest weakness is scheduling. I didn't schedule my meals well, ended up buying a larabar on the fly and eating it with coconut chips, salted nori, and grapefruit juice after getting caught out without emergency food and having not made it home for lunch. I had a very late lunch of jerk chicken and curried cauliflower. Then I got home and it was pandamonium with the kids, and my hubby was out of town. I threw my blood sugar out of whack with the lunch skip and I ended up finishing my kids Mac and cheese. It was gross. I felt gross. Ugh. Back to day 1.

Volatpropriis: I think I remember reading you have six kids? Im just impressed that you could do this even one day! Good on you for being honest and trying again...a good role model for your children. Good luck!

joybedford: I agree that you shouldnt even tell him. Will he notice? Probably not. Someone gave me a sign to put in my kitchen when I got married. It is a little cliched but I thought of it just now. It says: "Dinner choices 1. Take it 2. Leave it" Im glad you are stubborn...keep at it no matter what!

Starting my Whole30 on November 12, and using this declaration as a way to keep me accountable. Moving abroad this year has created a lot of emotional turmoil for me, and as a result, I've used food as a coping mechanism. Looking to break my addiction to 'food with no brakes,' to stop the binge/restrict cycle, and and to get back to a way of eating that I know makes me feel better. Thanks!

I fell. My biggest weakness is scheduling. I didn't schedule my meals well, ended up buying a larabar on the fly and eating it with coconut chips, salted nori, and grapefruit juice after getting caught out without emergency food and having not made it home for lunch. I had a very late lunch of jerk chicken and curried cauliflower. Then I got home and it was pandamonium with the kids, and my hubby was out of town. I threw my blood sugar out of whack with the lunch skip and I ended up finishing my kids Mac and cheese. It was gross. I felt gross. Ugh. Back to day 1.

You got this, sister!  A great lesson for all of us. The cheat may be sooo tempting, but in reality it can make us feel like crap both physically and emotionally. Day 1 and on the way to a better you, yes?  You have already felt the benefits so jump back on plan keep on keepin' on!

Welcome, Mayacave!  Where did you move to?

We all stumble and fall, it is what we do afterwards that defines us.  We have faith in you and are here to support you. 

Thanks Jess, thanks Jgreene. I appreciate the support. And yes Jess, 6 kids. I had a neck injury and had surgery for it in 2013. After the surgery I ended up with Debilitating cervical migraines that were so bad that I had them almost every day of the month. Medication didn't help. So I found myself in the bad habit of reaching for food trying to find anything I could put in my body to make it stop. I think what happened yesterday was that I ended up with a headache because of waiting too long to eat. That headache triggered the old habit of grabbing something just to grab something and see if it would help. Grrrrr...

Day 8/22

Was getting ready for my walk and picked up my usual workout bra to put on. After hooking in the front, found that I was able to just slip the hooks to the back with no tugs, hangups or bad language. It was hot a hula hoop type spin but I could tell a difference. 

More determined.

Thanks Jess, thanks Jgreene. I appreciate the support. And yes Jess, 6 kids. I had a neck injury and had surgery for it in 2013. After the surgery I ended up with Debilitating cervical migraines that were so bad that I had them almost every day of the month. Medication didn't help. So I found myself in the bad habit of reaching for food trying to find anything I could put in my body to make it stop. I think what happened yesterday was that I ended up with a headache because of waiting too long to eat. That headache triggered the old habit of grabbing something just to grab something and see if it would help. Grrrrr...

Volatpropriis - I can't tell you how many times I've started the Whole30 and lasted only a few days. It's okay! Take what you've learned and start again. You'll eventually have enough tools, reources, and motivation to finish! You can do this!

Archived