Roll call: November Whole30s!

ladybugger14

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks you have all made me feel a little better. I am not starving myself by any means but I am not eating enough either. My calories were about 1200 yesterday,( I am still tracking to make sure I am eating enough and because I am part of a biggest loser challenge). I am making sure l eat lots of good fats and am eating things like bacon hash and chilli etc. today I am just not hungry and the pain meds make me nauseous. I also have a sore throat. I still need to work out but I don't feel like it. I did go to my dance class last night though which was fun. I will work out soon if my daughter will let me have the TV. Thanks again for the support.

KayKay: she doesn't think it's working. She's tired of the food. She wants to go out & be social. 

Have you noticed any positive changes in her that you could point out?  I find it hugely helpful when my hubby tells me I'm looking better.

2babies2kidsmom: I have tried that. I think her skin looks better, she hasn't had any heartburn, & she herself said her pants felt a little bit looser. But I think she has unrealistic expectations of losing 30 pounds in 30 days or something.

She's also a very impulsive person, so by the time she gets home tonight, who knows? She may be fully committed again. 

Either way, I'm still on board. I said 30 days, so 30 days it shall be. 

My calories were about 1200 yesterday

There you have it. 1200 calories is a starvation diet. You likely need about one-and-a half times that, at a minimum, and your body will need even more nourishment when healing. Use your own hunger signals to determine how much to eat. If you are eating whole30-style these hunger signals can be trusted.

Hello everyone,

I just started my journey on Sunday 11/16. Going well so far. The toughest part for me so far has been missing my evening dose of dark chocolate! It's also been tricky fitting in a more labor intensive breakfast as Im used to grabbing something at the work cafeteria and there are no whole30 friendly foods there! Any suggestions for fast, easy breakfasts would be much appreciated.

1) Burnt bone broth?  What happened?

2) Partner drops out.  That's sad and frustrating.  It is so much easier when a whole household is doing the same plan.  My husband gets fed up with Paleo, too, but I keep plugging away and he for the most part sticks with it.  The kids and I feel so much better when we are on it.  He's been paleo long enough that he doesn't feed good when he goes off plan anyway, no matter how much he complains about not liking what I cook.

I'm feeling blah today, too.  I just got paid, though, so I am hoping to do a cookup this afternoon of some of my own standbys.  But actually, the cookup is going to have to be for Thanksgiving sides!  Yummy.  There are some great recipes floating around for veggie dishes and meat stuffings.  Last year I lived on a great acorn squash meat stuffing with walnuts.  I craved it for months afterwards.

Joybedford: keep at it! But in terms of working out, make sure you eat more anyway you can if you do decide to do that. It will stress your body out if arent especially if you are healing at the same time.

angledge: I hope she sticks with it...I think we have all had those moments of wanting to quit. But if she does decide thats what she wants, then thats her journey. Im glad your going to stay in. I need to try all the recipes you have been making :)

I cant believe its Day 16. No tiger blood yet for me and my sleep has been poor the last two nights so that isnt helping. Positive note-still attempting crossfit and went yesterday and today. I didnt want to go today but did it and im glad I did. Im going to London tomorrow so no working out just walking around. It is going to be a test in terms of trying to find compliant food...but we are hitting up the Borough Market which has food from all over the world so im hopeful. And I will be the one in the pub with lime and soda water :)

Thanks Praxis for the paleo place :)

am I missing something ???? I'm reading about how hard so many are finding it to cook. Is it because there is so much "fast" "convenient" packaged stuff in America that you don't peel and chop fresh stuff?

I'm not in the kitchen for very long maybe an hour to get dinner. the extra time I get in there is too make pesto, mayo and dressings- my food processor takes all the hard yards out of that AND I love going to my pantry and fridge eating stuff I've made not shop bought rubbish.

My go to meals when I'm tired after work or just want to eat but couldn't be stuffed cooking is steak and salad, with sweet potato circles (done on the sandwhich press= 3-4 mins) or chicken strips with steamed vegies or salad. all up less than 15mins and I'm eating the best fast food ever.

I can't tell you how much I love that thing- it's soooo quick. :P

Please don't miss hear me- I'm not being rude, patronizing ,glib etc I am genuinely stumped at the problem and therefore second guessing what Ive been eating and preping even though I know it's compliant :wub:

KTWalks- witch's brew- that's our family reciepe for luming and stubborn colds

fresh garlic and ginger- equal amounts=natural antibiotics    

manuka honey (out for the mo)(it has healing properties)

lemon and hot water

combine the lot and swig in a couple of gulps makes you sweat heaps but helps with that  razor blade throat and stuffed up nose ;)

thanks all cheers

Leonie, for me, it's the fact that I'm cooking 2 separate meals, or extra sides that makes the extra work.  And yes, sometimes I used to just pop a frozen pizza in the oven when I didn't have a good plan for dinner.  Can't do that anymore!  I think lots of people also get take-out quite often.

Did a pretty big cook-up today- baked chicken breasts and thighs, paleo pad thai, meatballs, taco meat, butternut squash soup.  I feel great about having so much good food tucked away in the fridge.  Planning a small grocery shop tomorrow for more veggies.  Yesterday's lunch of fried rutabaga was an epic fail, and the artichokes weren't very good.  Sometimes it's good to just stick with the standbys that I know will be eaten without complaint. 

Day 17 over!  

My partner told me this morning that she wants to quit the Whole30. I'm so mad I couldn't even talk to her.

KayKay: she doesn't think it's working. She's tired of the food. She wants to go out & be social. 

Angledge--So sorry to hear this! I will tell you my first W30 was in the month of a TON of celebrations. I drank so much fizzy water I actually thought I was going to float away. That part was NOT easy but I'm stubborn, so. Good luck, I hope she stays with it. 

Joy, that does sound miserable.  But that is great that you are hanging in there.  I really don't have any advice but I wanted to share my favorite soup recipe with you.  Cut up a butternut squash into small chunks (or buy the pre-cut stuff).  Cut up a couple of shallots or a yellow onion (big pieces).  Roast it all together at 425 for about 30 minutes, turning once during cooking, or until the veggies are kind of caramelized.  Pour chicken broth over all and cook another 5 minutes.  Then put it all in a blender or a big bowl and use an immersion blender.  Add more chicken broth if needed and blend until smooth.  Season with salt and pepper.  You can also try seasoning it with some cumin and lime juice for a Southwestern style soup, or roast an apple along with the veggies and add some curry powder for an Indian style soup.  You can add some coconut milk to your bowl if you like.

I've never roasted veggies for soup, and after reading this, I had to have some. So easy and such a wonderful, deeper flavour! So thanks!

It's been a few days since I checked in. I fell off the wagon at day 9 and restarted on the 14th. I didn't realize it until that morning butthe 14th was the one year anniversary of my father's death. I started this whole 30 because it was something that he wanted me to do and that we talked about before he passed away. Dealing with the dawning realization that it's been a year since he's been gone derailed me for a couple of days so yesterday was myfirst day once again.

Day 18 today for me and I am looking for any positive change in the way I feel, headaches have not left me for good yet, there are days when I still get them. Tiger blood should be around the corner, at the moment it seems to be in a far far away land. I miss porridge in the morning ...the only food I really miss. On the positive side I have stuck to this program for 18 days and I am still on it despite not feeling any better/ different than I felt before I began. Let's see what happens in the next 12 days.

Fabulous job everybody, keep it going!

Day 17! Just started but I thought I would share a little celebration. I made a roasted butternt squash soup which I also added sweet potatoes to because I didnt have enough squash. My husband who is not on the plan loved it! Im trying to get him to eat less bread, chips, and candy without being preachy. He normally has two sandwiches for lunch but instead had one sandwich and some soup! He never ate salads before meeting me and he will know request some from time to time. And the man now loves kiwi! Baby steps :)

Day 19! This is the longest I have ever succeeded on a W30! I feel great and I still haven't stepped on the scale. Lots of NonScale victories though! I started the W30 borderline obese, as in my home scale had me at the highest BMI in overweight and my doctors scale had me at the lowest BMI of obese. Clearly I have a lot of weight to lose! Over the past few days, I have noticed my back fat rolls arent touching each other any more, my belly button isn't as deep and my double chin is just a half double chin. I also bumped into a guy friend who said my skin is radiant. Yay for compliments. I also have more energy and less stress, even though my job is at its peak of stressful ness. Loving the lifestyle, need to plan for Thanksgiving still.

What is Tiger blood that a few of you have mentioned?

It's the amazing energy you may experience once your body adjusts to eating real, whole foods. Hopping out of bed in the morning, no mid-afternoon drowsies...it's fantastic!

Day 19 here. I'm dealing with some, um, gas pains. I think I overdid the Brussels sprouts this week. Backing off those for a few days and enjoying some less-cruciferous veggies :)

2babies2kids - that soup recipe sounds divine and I already have the ingredients in the fridge.  Definitely making it tonight when I get home from work!  Joy - I've been amazed and impressed with how much you have going on in your life and how committed you are to the program.  Know that we are all rooting for you!!!  To everyone who has young kids at home - I'm in awe that you are able to follow this program.  I work with preschoolers and I know how incredibly exhausting it is.  There is no way I could have ever found the energy to attempt a complete food/lifestyle makeover when my own kids were younger.  

Volatpropriis - welcome back:)  It sounds like your Dad would be very proud of you.  Have you heard the expression "may their memory be for a blessing"?  This is what you are doing by honoring your relationship with your father and embarking on a journey that he supports.  His love for you continues in your life.

Andledge - I know from impulsivity ( :D ) so I am hoping your partner comes home re-committed to the program.  If not I will share with you a little preschool trick that comes in handy with little ones (or anyone else who might be given to grand gestures!)  Despite what you're feeling try to respond in a neutral/flat way.  For example -  "Gosh - I'd be so sorry to see that happen after we've come this far."  or even "I also get discouraged some days - looks like it's your turn today."  It's so easy for things to escalate and then we back ourselves in to a place where we need to "save face."  And it is hard, discouraging, frustrating, tedious, etc. at times.  The feelings are valid; it's what we do with them that can cause problems (and here I am thinking of how I like to deal with my tough feelings by eating lots and lots of cakes and goodies washed down with a few glasses of wine.)  

I hope I am not coming across preachy - I really want all of us to succeed and to be able to weather the inevitable bumps that come up.  Good luck to everyone today and going forward!

Thankyou for your kind words it means a lot. I have no intention of quitting I will see this through to the end.

Today I had my first victory. I have let my working out slip throughout the whole 30, either too busy, no motivation, or too tired. Today I said enough Joy go for a run. I set out to do 30 minutes but gave myself permission to cut it short to 20 if I was finding it tough (I haven't ran for 4 weeks). The run was easier than expected and I did 40 minutes and 4 miles, so proud of myself. Now I need to keep that consistency going and I will be back to half marathon standard in no time. If I have time I will do some weights later too. Today is so far a better day.

I didn't sleep well again though, my jaw is still painful and I start nights tonight. I have some broccoli and spinach soup cooking and had bacon sweet apple hash with eggs for breakfast.

Joy - keep going! You deserve this! I'm sorry your jaw is so painful but better things lie ahead. :)

Jess - I have also noticed my husband and friends have been making tiny better health choices during the few weeks I've been doing the Whole30. Even though we still get called crazy sometimes, I think we're inspiring and motivating others around us to make good choices and we don't even realize it!

I think I'm on day 17 or 18 here. I'm in Kansas and the outside temperatures are FINALLY back in double digits after being FRIGID cold the last 2 weeks. Looking forward to getting back outside and getting more fresh air. 

I'm feeling pretty great today. I've been having AMAZING workouts and runs. I'm giving credit to W30! I'm also very excited because after discussing Thanksgiving with my mother-in-law, I'm bring THREE side dishes for our family Thanksgiving meal. And guess what? They're all going to be W30 compliant and they're not even going to know! Usually she makes almost everything (which is NOT healthy) but I convinced her to let me help out this year. So, my stress about that day and what I'm going to eat just went waaaaaaay down!

I've also already decided to extend my W30 by about 10 more days. Then, we leave for Mexico and that is going to be TOUGH. It's always hard for me to eat out because many cheap oils (canola, vegetable) don't do nice things to me. So, I'm going to have to make good choices and stay on track for this week. It's already giving me a bit of anxiety to know I'll be coming straight off a W30, feeling amazing, and then jumping on a plane to Mexico for 7 days. However, I do think this trip will be different. Doing this Whole30 has seriously changed the way I think about many foods and ingredients. I'm so much more conscious of every single thing I'm eating and even see in the grocery store. My husband is even becoming more and more interested about eating certain things and ditching other things. I love that day. 

I hope everyone is staying strong! What a great learning experience and journey this has been so far!

Archived