Roll call: November Whole30s!

ladybugger14

I think you're right, Heather.  You're body is more concerned with healing than fitting into those jeans! ;)

It took me 5 months of eating very well (but still dairy and some grains) and working out 4-5x a week with no results to find out that there were parts of my body that needed to heal first.  Apparently until my bladder heals I am stuck looking 4 months pregnant and the weights I was doing were actually making things worse!  So yes, patience Daniel-san!  I personally think you are a rock star to go from eating like that to this plan!  I don't think I would have been able to do it without cutting out what I already have.

Congrats on your breakfast win!!

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey there everyone!  I wil be starting my first Whole30 on Monday, 11/17.  I've been having ongoing gastro- issues and don't know if it's from dairy or legumes (or both).  I stopped eating gluten in April and a lot of my symptoms got way better, but haven't completely gone away.  I rely pretty heavily on beans/lentils, grains like quinoa, buckwheat, and rice, and I eat a lot of soy.  I eat meat a few times a week - I generally only really like beef - but I think I'll have to eat more this month, so I will get some pork and/or fish too.  I'm not a fan of chicken. 

This weekend I'll do some prepping for my first week - I plan to make some baby quiches in a muffin pan, and make a root vegetable stew.  I checked out the shopping list on the site and saw that potatoes were not on it.  Why is that?  Yams/sweets were on it, but I like regular old tots.  They'd go great with chili.

One thing that will be hard is not eating gin-gins (ginger candy)... I eat them at work throughout the day to keep me from feeling hungry and keep my blood sugar up.  I have a fast metabolism.  I will probably start carrying some nuts around.  I'm also a bit of a chocolate fiend so dealing with those cravings may be challenging. 

Does anyone ever do a water fast for a day or 2 during the program?

-Chris

Sweet potato rice - make sweet potato noodles on the spiralizer.  Pulse the noodles in the food processor until rice-sized.

http://www.inspiralized.com/2014/01/17/inspiralized-rice-the-perfect-side-dish/

ww.inspiralized.com/2014/01/17/inspiralized-rice-the-perfect-side-dish/

My accidental dairy from my Trader Joe's Roasted Red Pepper soup resulted in a pretty upset stomach for a day.  Luckily no achy joints.  Though I have been a bit "blah" feeling even before the accidental dosing.  I'll start a start-over today as yesterday my son complained he was hungry on the way to daycare so I ended up leaving my roasted chicken with him and then having to grab chicken from Panda Express on my way in to my overnight shift.  I'm sure it must have had some soy in it, among other things.

I had a great Day 7 yesterday. My band had a gig last night, and early one. I spent the afternoon making Moroccan Meatballs. They had about five minutes to go at 4:55 and I thought, "I'll just check the gig time again to make sure." Good thing I did, because instead of starting at 7:30, with a sound check at 6:30, it started at 6:30 with a sound check at 5:15, and I wasn't even dressed yet. I got dressed lickety split, grabbed my equipment, put a lid on the by now ready to cool meatballs, and headed out the door. Fortunately the club is only ten minutes from my house, so I made it close enough to on time. We were playing at Patsy's Cowgirl Cafe, a venue I love, but the menu leaves much to be desired if you're doing Whole30, and a meal is part of your 'pay.' (As are 1/2 price drinks!) Fortunately I was late enough that I couldn't possibly have ordered food beforehand. I ordered a large club soda with lime and we were off, playing our hearts out. During break, I walked around in the audience. A lot of people were eating. Tex Mex, chicken fried steak, chips and guacamole. It all looked completely unappetizing! I was hungry but what I wanted to eat were the darn meatballs that were sitting on my stove!

I had them for breakfast this morning. They were quite yumm!

Hey there everyone!  I wil be starting my first Whole30 on Monday, 11/17.  I've been having ongoing gastro- issues and don't know if it's from dairy or legumes (or both).  I stopped eating gluten in April and a lot of my symptoms got way better, but haven't completely gone away.  I rely pretty heavily on beans/lentils, grains like quinoa, buckwheat, and rice, and I eat a lot of soy.  I eat meat a few times a week - I generally only really like beef - but I think I'll have to eat more this month, so I will get some pork and/or fish too.  I'm not a fan of chicken. 

This weekend I'll do some prepping for my first week - I plan to make some baby quiches in a muffin pan, and make a root vegetable stew.  I checked out the shopping list on the site and saw that potatoes were not on it.  Why is that?  Yams/sweets were on it, but I like regular old tots.  They'd go great with chili.

One thing that will be hard is not eating gin-gins (ginger candy)... I eat them at work throughout the day to keep me from feeling hungry and keep my blood sugar up.  I have a fast metabolism.  I will probably start carrying some nuts around.  I'm also a bit of a chocolate fiend so dealing with those cravings may be challenging. 

Does anyone ever do a water fast for a day or 2 during the program?

-Chris

Welcome Chris, and good luck on Monday! I'm guessing that a water fast would be strongly discouraged. This is about eating real food. You won't need a fast to feel great!

White potatoes are compliant, but sweet potatoes are a better choice. Maybe that list is older?

If you stick with the meal template, and eat enough to feel full, you will start to find you don't need snacks to keep your blood sugar up. Just make sure you get your protein and good fats in there.

I had very little in the tank this morning during my workout and could barely get through a short set of burpees, when I realized I had no starchy carbs yesterday! Won't do that again! Flank steak with roasted sweet potatoes, sautéed mushrooms, garlic green beans, and spinach salad tonight. Nom nom.

I have fallen guilty to a few whole 30 mistakes the last few days, technically compliant but not ideal. Mistake 1, being busy/ill and having fruit,nuts with coconut milk as a meal, mistake 2, eating too many date and nut bars to calm the sugar dragon only had 2/3 in the past 15 days but still too many, mistake 3 just eaten kale chips again compliant but paleofieing junk food. I think the issue is not enough planning and also just got hungry due to my jaw problem (which is a lot better now). Day 15 coming to an end and I really want a glass of wine but I won't have one. Hope tomorrow's better. My kids are driving me nuts today and it's been an incredibly busy day full of my daughters dance exams, food shopping, cooking, laundry etc, tomorrow I am working and I should go prepare some food but I just want to chill.

So day whatever I think 12 and Friday did the shopping. Today cooking and tailgating. It's getting easier to be around non whole30 food. I just eat raw veggies or nothing at all becuase I eat a meal before I go.

We were talking about menus for thanksgiving. And here is my issue. I'm not craving sugar, how do i get on with my life? I mean in the past that was my focus. When am I going to get this cake that ice cream put now the cravings have gone. Of course I'm scared to eat sugar but it's like I have to learn how to function without it.

A whole week - yipppeee! and I feel fantasmagorical that I haven't made any fail decisions. 

I'm surprised that I haven't missed my bubbles- big fan of bubbles here guys. French and Aussie champagnes are delish. Yarra Burn was on special  (still is for you other melbournite girls) and while the others imbibed I was quite content with my blueberries in soda water!!! go figure :o

My plan of prepping and cooking and freezing has gone magnificently pear shaped ! I'm hoping today will be a little more successful lol

too many things to do all at once. My formal excersice routine begins mon 17th. up till now I have let things slide badly.

AND I think my portions sizes are overly generous hmmmm- but I'm not hungry and I'm compliant :P .... but it is time to address that little (oops big ) issue

How have you guys gone when it comes to the restaurant meals- easier than you thought... worse... nightmarish please share the insights and pitfalls you encountered....... I'm not game to go out while I'm on the whole 30. I figure it's easier to make it all myself than have to ask for every little ingredient - or am I just being a whuse? lol

cheers :)

Day 14 down. Grocery shopping has been pushed to tomorrow. Hubby promised to take me to the good store. Kind of feel like I'm scraping the barrel for meals today. Frozen veggies at lunch and dinner. Didn't really enjoy either meal but my tummy feels good.

Yes angledge! I feel the same! Weekends are hard..my schedule is thrown off big time. Yesterday I had a good breakfast but lunch was a handful of blueberries, a couple of strawberries, and an apple with cashew butter. Not technically right but I wasnt hungry until dinner. No workout for me yesterday. After doing crossfit Friday night, my body was having none of it! Today, a little better but I just had my first meal and its almost 11:00 am. I ran this morning and had a cup of coffee, blueberries, and a meatball. Not exactly an approved pre-workout meal but I lasted on my run. I do struggle with the pre and post workout meals. I just cant eat that much after working out. Its Day 14...I feel good but a little tired the last couple of days. But I have enough energy to make it through the day. Hopefully tiger blood around the corner!

Jess I am the opposite to you I am always starving after working out but can ever figure out what to eat. The old days used to be a protein shake until my next meal now I am never sure how to get my protein and it's never too far away from the next meal so I either eat fruit or soup. The soups ok but fruit not great no protein.

Day 16 here and I am working a late shift today. I have soup and fruit and nuts for my break. If I get a break. Probably won't have time for a workout, I don't finish till 20.30 and then will need to get things ready for school as I am on an early shift tomorrow and hubby will be taking them to school. Hopefully check in later.

Good Morning everyone! Day 14 here and I'm feeling okay. I seem to have gotten a cold or bit of a sinus thing going on - not cool!! I don't really take medications but does anyone have a good home remedy they'd like to share?? I've been doing some herbal tinture that usually helps quite well. I've also been putting peppermint oil/tea tree oil on my nose and chest and that drains me really fast!

Other than that, I'm feeling great and feeling pretty proud that I've made it almost halfway. So far, I still haven't had many temptations or strong cravings that I've had to overcome. This week should be pretty smooth and I've already got my meal planning and prepping done! Next weekend, I'll have a bit of a challenge as we travel to my niece's 3rd birthday party where there will be more junk than you can imagine. 

And since I just found out I'm severely allergic to coffee, I've been drinking tea the last 3 mornings. That is a difficult switch but I do enjoy tea. Over time I'll think I'll be perfectly fine with it. I should probably get rid of the coffee in the house. I also found out that I'm severely allergic to beef. And when I did my grocery shopping yesterday, I got ground lamb and bison for the first time ever! I haven't tried it yet but both are in my meal plans for this week. It made me even happier that I was able to find local meat, grass fed, grain free, nothing added! A little nervous to cook and try something this new to me but I guess that's the only way to learn, right?

I hope everyone else is doing great. As most of us should be heading in to week 3, there should be awesomeness coming our way!

Oh, I'm not sure if I've missed a few posts! So many updates now! :D

angledge - I tried a few different kinds, but hands down the best spiraliser for me is the Paderno (plastic, you can buy them online and also in a lot of vegan/vegetarian places). Using the other kinds, I can't make bigger quantities of zoodles without getting sore hands.

SWF - I'm waiting on my Band in the mail :)

Volatpropriis - that's exactly what happened to me when I reintroduced gluten, now gluten free, also arthritis free! \o/

Drtracy - Sometimes I don't even use a bag! Crunchy coffee!

CrazyCow - If you have home insurance, you may have coverage for your fridge contents, it's worth calling to ask.

ktwlks8610 - I know the ALCAT tests are not counted as valid tests in Australia, so you can always do your own checks with reintroductions, but that doesn't mean you don't have a problem with beef either :) Bison and other grass-fed cow alternatives are usually very tasty :)

Lamb eaters - An Aussie favourite is lamb, garlic and rosemary :) Makes a great roast

You have posted a message with more emoticons than this community allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message

Alrighty, I'll post the other half on it's own lol

coloradoharts - I went nightshade free for 30 days and I did see an improvement, however when I added them back in, I did so at a lower "volume" and didn't get any side effects. For me, the total load is important. Too much and my body can't cope (nightshades were previously my major food group lol eggplant and chilli and capsicum, etc) and I get more inflammation. Now I try to stick to no more than two nightshades at once, and I try to have extra fat to slow the absoprtion.

Bone broth - Save your cooked bones for the freezer and throw them in with your next batch of broth. I do this with my chicken wing bones, roast chicken bones, etc. Makes extra tasty broth!

Heather - Don't be discouraged if some people seem "ahead" of you, we're all different and some of us have done this before (I have a few times). I'd heard some of the benefits come earlier on repeats, but this is the first time it's happened to me :) your blood sugar must be loving Whole30! :D I find keeping a food log helps, if I go off track a bit, I can see where I want to tweak it for next time. 

in_kemmer - I can't have gluten either, but I also get sick from most grains and soy. Legumes don't make me well, so I don't eat them. Buckwheat and rice are the most inert, but if I eat them often, I feel less well. You don't need to fast or snack, the template helps you reset your "food clock". If you find you're hungry between meals, eat bigger meals, or add a fourth template meal or template mini-meal.

Leonie - Two places in Melbourne which should be able to give you a safe Paleo meal (ask questions, sometimes there's butter!) Palate and Paleo Den :) Some places are easier than others. Some kitchens make very little of their own food, some are actually a little filthy "we don't wash our pans in between cooking meals" (eewww!), some places mean well but suffer at compliance (oops), some staff are mean and some places just make crap :) when they don't know what's in anything, it's not a good sign. 5 star restaurants in hotels are a safe bet. A good chef can prepare for you with the Whole30 PDFs in advance (some will need to buy extra ingredients, so advance planning is best).

ktwlks8610 - a Whole30-safe cold treatment I like is ginger/lemongrass tea, or just ginger tea :) Nice and hot, breathe it in before drinking :) Peppermint tea soothes a cranky stomach too.

Good morning everyone!  I was so excited to wake up this morning and make Tortilla Espanola!  It's pretty much an omelette with white potatoes.  It's the only way I usually enjoy white potatoes.  And since I love it with mayo, I decided to make some mayo.  But I only had Extra Virgin Olive Oil.  Couldn't be too bad, right?  Wrong!  It was gross!  I tried to cover the flavor with some garlic, but that really didn't hide the strong taste.  And the Tortilla itself was not as good as I had remembered.  So that was a disappointment!  Oh well.  Light Olive Oil going on the store list!

Another cheat dream last night.  I dreamed I was at a bar and a cute guy brought me some kind of sugary drink topped with whipped cream!  I knew I was on the Whole30, but I didn't want to disappoint the guy, so I drank it!  Yikes!  Then I woke up and remembered I am already married to a cute guy and I haven't been in a bar in 3 years!  Lol!  

I'm on Day 15, but I don't think I'm halfway there.  I need to keep going after these 30 days are up.  I said that last time, but I am doing so much better this time that I don't think it will be a problem.  Not sure how I will handle Christmas, and then my birthday, which is just a few days later.  But no matter what I will be starting another whole30 on January 1!

YOU SAID A TON!!!  :D  :D  :D

praxisproject, I think you're all caught up...lol

angledge and jess in the uk, do you do a weekly cook-up? You probably do, but it's worth having a look at Melissa Joulwan's--it sets you up for the week, and you just get better (and faster) the more you do it. Here's the link to a basic run down. Scroll down the page until you see Cookup: The Plan 

Off to shop refrigerators...UGH  :wacko:

CrazyCow-thanks for the link! No I dont do a weekly cook up; the extent of my prep is chopping and roughly planning out meals. Its only my husband and I in our house and he isnt doing whole30! Though he will eat much of what I am eating, I am still preparing some things just for me and some things just for him. Before, I could graze on whatever was in the fridge all day and I didnt have to cook anything. My eating habits are changing but it seems like alot of planning/prepping now. I might attempt at least cooking a load of protein next week but I need to get more organized. Right now all my organizational energy is going into lesson plans and a tedious visa process!

Hi All!  I've completed 15 days of my first Whole30, and while I'm really not having a hard time with any cravings (just the constant prep, as we all do), this whole week I've been feeling much worse than Week 1. I'm generally a pretty healthy eater, so I didn't have any withdrawals, and Week 1 I was sleeping great, I had a spring in my step, I was loving it.  All this week, I've been super tired, not sleeping well, and today I woke up feeling pretty close to hung over, despite eating only Whole30 approved foods.

Having read through some of the comments here, I'm wondering if I'm not getting enough starchy carbs (Week 1 I ate sweet potatoes daily, this week I didn't have them around), and I know I'm struggling to get enough fat at each meal - I'm eating avocado or almond butter where it doesn't fit with the meal, just because I'm concerned my recipes are all pretty lean.  I'm definitely not avoiding fat or calories, but I find that I'm mostly using them in the cooking process (olive oil or coconut oil), so once they've cooked down there isn't much left to consume.

Has anyone else been through this?  Could that be the reason I'm feeling so bad?  And if so, do I just need to eat sweet potato with every meal?  I don't recall a huge emphasis on starchy carbs in the book, so I haven't been stressing over them.  Any help or insight is very much appreciated - it's hard to justify all this work when it's making me feel worse than normal.  Thanks!!

2babies2kidsmom: I think we're going to do another Whole30 in January as well. We are traveling a LOT in December, and it's my partner's birthday, & Christmas.... I think our #postwhole30 is going to be a thing of nightmares.

CrazyCow: I do a lot of prep work on Saturdays & Sundays. I think I'm burned out from last week, when I had a house guest for five days & felt hostess-obliged to make FANCY meals three times a day. This week is going to be allll about the slow cooker. I've also marshalled my troops to help - my partner is doing a lot of the cooking today & my brother is coming over tomorrow to teach me how to make hot wings (he says his recipe is compliant). 

laurenjessany: I've been low on energy this week as well, but my diet didn't change perceptibly. I'm not sure what's going on. Maybe this is where our bodies are shifting from burning sugar to burning fat? I hope so.

One of the things I am learning from this experience - EVERY TIME I cook, I should be preparing for at least two meals. Something should be hitting the table, & something should be going into either the fridge or freezer for later. Cooking for each & every meal is draining. 

Something I'm looking for - who has some tasty, simple recipes for greens? 

oooh, Angledge--WINGS???? We find any excuse to have those. Here's a recipe that is most def compliant: WINGS30

And what sort of greens? Here's one our faves in the house. We use ghee rather than butter, and coconut cream rather than cream, and it's EVEN BETTER. I always double this and there still isn't enough for everyone's liking!  Crazy Easy Creamed Spinach

We also love sprouts in our house, so here's one of those--mind, if you can't find compliant bacon, just don't use it--it's still amazing. Roasted Sprouts

And I cannot recommend the cooking WOD enough--it just makes everything that much easier. I HATE touching food or thinking about food in the morning. So to be able to just grab what's done and go, is so, so, so helpful.

And you have my sympathies on the fancy dishes for houseguests...we've got those coming next week, so the game is afoot...!

Jess in the UK...I remember once upon a time lesson prepping. Have fun. I remember visa sorting, too--another pain in the backside, too--ugh! If nothing else, def try to make the 'emergency meat' once a week, because you can use that for SO much: ground meat cooked with salt, pepper, garlic--whatever you want. Cook a few pounds of it at the start of the week and keep it in the fridge. Take out a scoop for whatever/whenever you need it. It's a great starting point for any number of super quick meals in the week. 

Just my two pennies and five W30s-worth, haha! 

Hello everyone!
I just started my second whole 30, nearing the end of day 2 for me (and hubby). so far so good.

For 2babies2kidsmom: I found olive oil of any kind made my mayo taste funny. Try avocado oil or macadamia nut oil. Both are very mild in taste. Also if you like spice, maybe some cayenne or chipotle could cover up any bad taste? Just a thought.

Thanks for having me!

Archived