The "Return of the Dirty Thirty" 12 January start date

dcducks1

ok need advice:  i had 4 eggs fried in avocado oil over a bowl of broccoli slaw / coleslaw dressed in my homemade mayo-dressing; 4 small tomatoes and 1/2 green pepper.  I'm still HUNGRY! what am I missing? oooh the starchy carbs?  more protein?  when is the best time of day to have starches?  

did I mention that I cleaned out my fridge last week?  or maybe the week before?  it was looking gross but now it looks new!  and yesterday, in anticipation of the weekend, i bought pre-cut veggies and  kumata tomatoes and fish and steak and lots of yummie stuff!  

i'm going to do a bit of cooking today, but if I can't I have my sardines and tuna and a big pot of soup I made!

oh and it's snowing here again!  

have a great weekend everyone!

ps - what are reasons you would continue past 30 days, for those of you who have done this before?  not sure what I should do at this point.  

I have seen that food and hunger do not have to be life or death, and that I can eat totally differently.  I can live without cheese.  I don't have to be hungry to "lose weight" or be healthy.  And I don't have to count and measure, I just have to visualize my food differently....... 

hope you are all doing well and hope to be reading from everyone soon! it's a little quiet here....

I think you need a little more protein on you Bfast, maybe a little ground beef or buffalo? I read on the Bulletproof diet book that the best time to add the carbs is during dinner, a concept I still cannot incorporate too good because of old beliefs. Go figure... Maybe eliminating the dark shadows foods help more with bloating (eggplants/tomatoes/peppers) and others I cannot think of now, potatoes????

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

VEGETABLES TO AVOID:

Excess Fructose vegetables:
Sugar snap peas

Excess Fructan vegetables:
Artichokes (Globe & Jerusalem)
Asparagus
Beet
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage
Chicory
Dandelion leaves
Fennel
Garlic
Leek
Legumes
Okra
Onion (brown, white, & Spanish)
Peas
Radicchio lettuce
Shallot
Spring onion (white section).

Excess Polyol vegetables:
Avocado
Cauliflower
Mushrooms
Snow peas

SUITABLE VEGETABLES:
Alfalfa
Bamboo shoots
Bean shoots
Beans (green)
Bok choy
Broccoli (may not be suitable for everyone…) 
Capsicum
Carrot
Celery
Chives
Choy sum
Corn (raw corn may bother some people)
Cucumber
Endive
Eggplant (this may be troublesome for some; check individual tolerance)
Ginger
Lettuce (may be ok or not)
Marrow
Olives
Parsnip

Parsley 
Potato
Pumpkin
Silverbeet
Spring onion (green section)
Spinach
Squash (this may be troublesome for some; check individual tolerance)
Swede
Sweet potato
Taro
Tomato (cherry tomatoes often are moldy – try to avoid) 
Turnip
Yam
Zucchini (this may be troublesome for some; check individual tolerance)

Special notes on vegetables:
Onion is one of the greatest contributors to IBS. Strict avoidance is recommended.
Avoid: 
• Onion (brown, white & Spanish), Onion powder, White section of spring onion.
• Leeks,  Shallots, Garlic.
There is undeclared onion hidden in many processed foods including, chicken salt, vegetable salt, vegetable powder, dehydrated vegetables, stocks, gravies, soups, marinades, & sauces.
Alternatives:
• Chives
• Green part of spring onion
• Asafoetida powder (* contains gluten).
• Fresh & dried ginger, coriander, basil, lemongrass, chili, mint, parsley, marjoram, oregano, thyme, rosemary & others.

PROBLEM WHEAT & Rye products:

Bread (white, wholemeal, multigrain, sourdough, pita, & many rye)
Pasta & noodles (regular, two minute, spelt, egg noodles, hokkien & udon)
Breakfast cereals (containing wheat, excess dried fruit &/or fruit juice).
Savoury biscuits (wheat based)
Cakes & baked goods (wheat based)
Sweet biscuits (wheat based)
Pastry & breadcrumbs (wheat flour made)
Others (semolina, couscous, bulger)

ALTERNATIVES to WHEAT Grains:
Rice
Corn (may bother some people)
Potato
Amaranth
Tapioca
Quinoa
Millet
Sorgum
Buckwheat
Arrowroot
Sago

ALTERNATIVES to WHEAT Products: (DO NOT RELY ON THESE - eat real food instead)
Gluten free bread
Gluten free pasta, rice noodles, wheat free buckwheat noodles.
Porridge, wheat free muesli, rice bubbles, corn flakes, & gluten free cereals.
Corn thins, rice cakes & crackers, gluten free crackers, ryvitas, & rye cruskits.
Gluten free cakes, flourless cakes.
Gluten free biscuits.
Gluten free pastry mixes, & bread crumbs, polenta, cornflake crumbs.
Buckwheat, polenta, millet, sorghum, sago, tapioca, rice, & corn flours. 

Special notes on Wheat:
• Wheat free Rye is tolerable for most (assess individually).
• Small amounts of wheat, such as breadcrumbs, may be tolerable (assess individually).
• Those with diagnosed Coeliac disease should eliminate gluten from their diet.
• Gluten free foods do not contain wheat, rye oats & barley. 
o             A low FODMAP diet allows oats & barley.
• Trace amounts of wheat ingredients such as soy sauce should not be a problem.
• Many wheat derived products such as wheat starch, wheat thickeners, wheat maltodextrin, wheat dextrin, wheat dextrose, wheat glucose, & wheat color caramel are fructan free glucose chains & should be safe to eat.

OTHER FODMAPs FOODS (containing, FRUCTOSE &/or Fructans) to AVOID:
• Honey
• Corn syrups
• Corn syrup solids
• Fruisana
• Chickory
• Dandelion tea
• Inulin
• Artificial sweeteners (see GOS)
• Sugar free or low carb sweets, mints, gums, & dairy desserts.
• Baked beans, lentils, & chick peas

FRUITS TO AVOID:

Excess Fructose fruit:
Apple
Mango
Nashi fruit
Pear
Persimmon
Rambutan
Watermelon

Excess Fructan fruit:
Persimmon
Rambutan
Watermelon

Excess Polyol fruit:
Apple
Apricot
Avocado
Blackberries
Cherries
Longon
Lychee
Nashi Fruit
Nectarine
Peach
Pear
Plum
Prune
Watermelon

You can see why the FODMAP Whole 30 is not recommended the first time around.  It's a lot of food to remove off of the table.

I think if you could follow the Whole 30 guidelines with 3 in the pocket meals, you would feel much better.   1 2 3...protein, vegetables and good fats.   

There are people with AIP problems that absolutely have to follow the FODMAP plan.  Their quality of health depends on it.

I've never had hives in my life.   Right before I started my Whole 30 on June 1, 2014....I ate some of those Fiber One bars.   On the left side of my body, I came down with the scariest hives.   It looked like I had fallen off my bicyclebike.gif  and skinned that entire side of my body.

I'm convinced it was the chicory in those bars...listed up above there.   I was afraid I was going to be left with scars because they didn't go away for a very long time.   I can still see where they were on my little finger and up to my wrist.   My body was going cuckoo because I had reached the apex of my weight gain.   I was pre-T2, just like yourself.   I was stacking the pounds on overnight. Everything was haywire.   I could eat carbs and stack 2 more on overnight.  I was blowing up and my face looked like a water balloon.  It usually takes a health scare before we do something about it.    Well, one day I bent over to pick something up and my knower knew that if I didn't switch up my losing game...well, that's all I'll say about that.

I really don't know how I found  "It Starts With Food".   I cannot remember that part of the story because no one shared the book with me.   I ordered my book.   I read it in one day and started the next.    I'm turning the corner after 8 months.   It did not happen in 30 days because there were years and years of cream and coffee to work through.    I was not a huge carb eater but every single type I ate  threw me for a blood sugar loop.

I know from a slow-roll reintroduction phase which ones I can handle and those I cannot.

It's not what we do some of the time but what we do all of the time that affects us.

There are Whole 30 Bike Riders who've been at this since 2009.   By using reintroduction, they know their food triggers that will set them right back on a path of thrill or binge eating.   There are those who are suffering with AIP, IBS, Diabetes and other conditions who now know which foods heal and which do not.

We're all unique.  That's why they don't outline for all of us going forward exactly what we're supposed to do.  It's interactive and we have to figure out our own whole food journey going forward.   Yours is going to look different than mine.   Dave, Miki, Laurie, CC, Granny, Nanny, Sissy, Volchick, Annie, Higs, Angie, Jeslight, Tonya, Augie, ChiggerCane, Dawn, Krista, Lori.....everyone here - there is no cookie cutter mold for us to fill.

This is called food freedom.   We learn which lane to stay in but we're all out there on that open highway that leads to our best quality of life.    It's only 30 days but the take aways are for an entire lifetime.

my-heart-is-like-an-open-highway.png

VEGETABLES TO AVOID:

Excess Fructose vegetables:

Sugar snap peas

Excess Fructan vegetables:

Artichokes (Globe & Jerusalem)

Asparagus

Beet

Brussel Sprouts

Cabbage

Chicory

Dandelion leaves

Fennel

Garlic

Leek

Legumes

Okra

Onion (brown, white, & Spanish)

Peas

Radicchio lettuce

Shallot

Spring onion (white section).

Excess Polyol vegetables:

Avocado

Cauliflower

Mushrooms

Snow peas

SUITABLE VEGETABLES:

Alfalfa

Bamboo shoots

Bean shoots

Beans (green)

Bok choy

Broccoli (may not be suitable for everyone…) 

Capsicum

Carrot

Celery

Chives

Choy sum

Corn (raw corn may bother some people)

Cucumber

Endive

Eggplant (this may be troublesome for some; check individual tolerance)

Ginger

Lettuce (may be ok or not)

Marrow

Olives

Parsnip

Parsley 

Potato

Pumpkin

Silverbeet

Spring onion (green section)

Spinach

Squash (this may be troublesome for some; check individual tolerance)

Swede

Sweet potato

Taro

Tomato (cherry tomatoes often are moldy – try to avoid) 

Turnip

Yam

Zucchini (this may be troublesome for some; check individual tolerance)

Special notes on vegetables:

Onion is one of the greatest contributors to IBS. Strict avoidance is recommended.

Avoid: 

• Onion (brown, white & Spanish), Onion powder, White section of spring onion.

• Leeks,  Shallots, Garlic.

There is undeclared onion hidden in many processed foods including, chicken salt, vegetable salt, vegetable powder, dehydrated vegetables, stocks, gravies, soups, marinades, & sauces.

Alternatives:

• Chives

• Green part of spring onion

• Asafoetida powder (* contains gluten).

• Fresh & dried ginger, coriander, basil, lemongrass, chili, mint, parsley, marjoram, oregano, thyme, rosemary & others.

PROBLEM WHEAT & Rye products:

Bread (white, wholemeal, multigrain, sourdough, pita, & many rye)

Pasta & noodles (regular, two minute, spelt, egg noodles, hokkien & udon)

Breakfast cereals (containing wheat, excess dried fruit &/or fruit juice).

Savoury biscuits (wheat based)

Cakes & baked goods (wheat based)

Sweet biscuits (wheat based)

Pastry & breadcrumbs (wheat flour made)

Others (semolina, couscous, bulger)

ALTERNATIVES to WHEAT Grains:

Rice

Corn (may bother some people)

Potato

Amaranth

Tapioca

Quinoa

Millet

Sorgum

Buckwheat

Arrowroot

Sago

ALTERNATIVES to WHEAT Products: (DO NOT RELY ON THESE - eat real food instead)

Gluten free bread

Gluten free pasta, rice noodles, wheat free buckwheat noodles.

Porridge, wheat free muesli, rice bubbles, corn flakes, & gluten free cereals.

Corn thins, rice cakes & crackers, gluten free crackers, ryvitas, & rye cruskits.

Gluten free cakes, flourless cakes.

Gluten free biscuits.

Gluten free pastry mixes, & bread crumbs, polenta, cornflake crumbs.

Buckwheat, polenta, millet, sorghum, sago, tapioca, rice, & corn flours. 

Special notes on Wheat:

• Wheat free Rye is tolerable for most (assess individually).

• Small amounts of wheat, such as breadcrumbs, may be tolerable (assess individually).

• Those with diagnosed Coeliac disease should eliminate gluten from their diet.

• Gluten free foods do not contain wheat, rye oats & barley. 

o             A low FODMAP diet allows oats & barley.

• Trace amounts of wheat ingredients such as soy sauce should not be a problem.

• Many wheat derived products such as wheat starch, wheat thickeners, wheat maltodextrin, wheat dextrin, wheat dextrose, wheat glucose, & wheat color caramel are fructan free glucose chains & should be safe to eat.

OTHER FODMAPs FOODS (containing, FRUCTOSE &/or Fructans) to AVOID:

• Honey

• Corn syrups

• Corn syrup solids

• Fruisana

• Chickory

• Dandelion tea

• Inulin

• Artificial sweeteners (see GOS)

• Sugar free or low carb sweets, mints, gums, & dairy desserts.

• Baked beans, lentils, & chick peas

That is a great list Lily, thank you so much for sharing it, you are so resourceful :-)

My bones are roasting as we speak! My Whole Foods had bones at the meat counter, so that was the easy part. My question for those of you who have made the bone broth, the recipe I found says to let it simmer 12-72 hours. That is a HUGE range of time. Can someone narrow it down for me? Thanks! And Happy Fabulous Friday!

24 hours is good.   I know, I know, that's a long time.   We checked at less than 24 hours and it did not taste rich enough, still too watery.

Higs?   How long do you simmer for?    We couldn't wait beyond 24 hours, we dipped in and had a big sip of the mighty BB.    It makes you feel terrific.

dcducks - Dave....You know how you tell us not to say we're losing weight?   I took that to heart.   I don't say those words because I don't want to find it ever again.   

I just had a thought and must share it with you.   I am releasing inches and lard into the Universe.   You wanna know where it's going?

It's going to the sun.   When you hear about solar flares and sun storms, that's  me.  beach.gif  My lard is causing the sun to burn extra hot in spots but it's giving some extra heat to countries like Spain where CC is headed.    Our lard releasing is going to make the sun shine on her vacation.  It's giving California a nice warm winter.   The sun is shining brighter because of all of the lard we are all releasing into the Universe...collectively as a Whole (30). 

sunny.gif

I did weigh myself on day 12 and day 19 (yesterday). I have stopped losing weight, which I know is not the point but still a goal for me. I'm going to go off fruit and nuts for the last ten days, take this weekend to re-focus on making sure I have lunch prepared for work so I'm eating a real meal there and not a handful of nuts.

Also, putting the scale back away. That was a mistake and I felt it made my 3rd week W30 quite sad.  Goodbye, scale.

Onward.

Nikkia,  the scale throws a mind warp at us.   Goodbye Scale.   Send it off to the nether regions of your house or garage.  You won't get back on it again.   

Most of us are very aware of how our clothes fit.   Those are only two data points which are not a true measure of everything.  Just file away those data points and do some stretching, take a nice bath or shower.   Shake it off,  shake it off.  

Another good decision is laying off the nuts.   Nuts and dried fruits sneak up on a person but can't take the place of our 3 meals aday.

I hope for your renewed efforts that you get a euphoria bump when all is done.   hug.gif

So today is day 30 for Rick and I!

I believe our plan will be: Whole 30 at home, much less restriction when eating out/traveling. 

I'd like to implement a plan where I decide on Sunday nights what the plan is for the week, so I can make good choices and not go completely off the rails. We'll see if I can learn to be a moderator :)

Tulip - when I did my first whole 30, it turned into a whole 105. My reason for continuing: I never felt better in my life!

After testing your body’s reaction to one category, you return to the elimination diet, let your GI system re-set itself, and then try the next. 

In theory, by the end of all the phases, you will be able to know what FODMAPS containing foods you can get away with, and what will produce symptoms. 

However, as an example:   knowing that galactans are a real problem area for you may mean you avoid eating a tofu scramble for breakfast, a hummus and tempeh sandwich for lunch, and lentil soup for dinner.  It’s about finding the right balance for YOUR gut. 

this is very science-ey and confusing; not sure if i can be this organized!  i've been reading different info on fodmaps and it is very intriguing.  have any of you been to a naturopath in conjunction with your whole30 or done the alcat test? 

Tulip. My first whole30 was in April, I extended it to a whole 60 because of an itch I had that just wouldn't go away. Other than that itch, I felt awesome, tons of energy, sleeping like a baby, bloating, pain gone. I felt so good I just knew another 30 days would only be a benefit. It was so easy. What meadow said about it finding our way is so true. At the end of my whole60, I really didn't care if I added anything back, but curiosity led me to try a few things. Raw dairy, as I have access to it and love real fresh cream in my coffee, no problem. A few days of strictly whole30 foods later, I trialed stevia, I like to use it some in tea, no problems. A few days of strictly whole30 and I thought I would trial legumes. Every now and then I love to eat some blackeyed peas. So, on trial day, I had some cannalini beans with breakfast. I nearly fell asleep driving to work and that is not something I have ever experienced. A few years back when I worked night shift, I'd get off work at 7am after working 12 hrs. Go home, pack my car and make a 7 hour trip to my parents in KY and not get sleepy. I make it to work and feel tired all day, more cannalini beans for lunch, then home and blackeyed peas for supper. I found out from that trial that beans/legumes are my nemesis. From that day on, I fought my food demons and it continued to spiral downward. Here I am, after 3 attempts to start another whole30, and finally, I'm back in the groove. Day 10 for me today. I knew I had to do whole30, my life depended on it. it is so important to follow the rules, to find out what my diet is, the diet the keeps me feeling awesome, For my physical and mental health. For life. This time, I am planning a whole 100. Maybe further, will see when I get to 100. Hang in there! What a wonderful tool they have designed for us. So thankful that I ran across a recipe, that stated it was whole30 compliant and that aroused my curiosity to find out just what whole30 was.

I'll be extending because I've had a terrible time sticking to the January Whole30, so February will have to be a fresh start for me.  I'm one of those 90% Paleo people, but unfortunately, the remaining 10% is me cheating on my whole30 and having to re-start, and re-start, and re-start.  I'm feeling a little bad about myself because I put all the weight back on that I lost so successfully with this group one year ago.  But last year my life was a lot less stressful than it is this year.  Stress most certainly makes it hard to lose weight and stay on a healthy lifestyle.

I'm glad this group is here - I hope some people are around 30 days from now!

Regarding eating protein with eggs for breakfast, today I had the most delicious carnitas made from nomnompaleo kahlua pork, fried in bacon fat, with two eggs broken on top of it, and tapatio sauce, and sauteed onions.  It ended up being two meals because I made too much.  Dinner was well fed's shephards pie.  I do love her recipes, I don't think there has been one fail yet from her books for me.

I drink bone broth at breakfast every day.  I got an Instant Pot for Christmas this year and can make chicken stock (bone broth) in two hours.  That was exciting to me for this first month, however, I am finding that it now does not seem as flavorful as the stock I used to make in my slow cooker, when I roasted my chicken in the slow cooker and then converted the bones to bone broth, so I think i will make my bone broth that way this weekend.

Tulip - how long have you been eating raw foods?   Were you allergic to ketchup as a kid?

Tracy -  I read your first thread today.   You have alot going on.  Don't beat yourself up for anything.  Shake it off.  Shake it off.  Since you have so many people to take care of, you do have to take care of yourself.   I'm glad you're drinking bone broth but I don't think 2 hours in a fast cooker compares to 24 hours in a slow cooker or on top of the stove.    We kept testing it and we know 36 hours would probably be perfect but settled on 24.

Cottagequeen - I celebrate your excellent knowledge from reintroduction.   Nice job all the way around.

Talking about labrador retrievers --

One of my stress relievers was supposed to be when we invited our 19 year-old niece to move in with us to help us with the kids.  Well, she is a sullen, argumentative teenager who has not reduced our stress one iota, as I'm sure you can understand.  On top of it, she showed up with this idiot 9 month-old chocolate labrador who has destroyed everything in our backyard and barks her head off all day.  Six weeks into it, I finally took charge of the situation and gave up my gym time so I can take her stupid dog to the park and run her ragged.  Yesterday I took her dog to the park three separate times and made her run for an hour each time.  Each hour gave me about an hour's rest before the dog started begging for attention again.

So, hopefully, I got some exercise out of all that.  The dog park is about two blocks in length, and considering the dog won't actually bring the ball back that I fling with the flinger, I hiked back and forth across the dog park picking up the stupid dog's ball and throwing it farther across the park.

And, no, I'm not a dog hater, I'm a veterinarian.  Owning a labrador puppy is a full-time job in itself.

This is all to say, I haven't been to the gym in two days.  The last time I went, though, they played Bourne Legacy on cardio cinema and I ended up doing the treadmill for 45 minutes and the bicycle for another 60 so I could watch the whole movie.

Lol.  Kids were in school.  I took her dog with me when I left for Thousand Oaks, where the kids and I stay during the week for the good school district.  Personally, I feel like I have four first graders in my house - the two real ones, then my husband and his niece.  They fight like cat and dog.  She has already "threatened" to move out once so he told her she had until Tuesday to get out.  Then he renegged and gave her a week to change her stripes.  Then they fought again last night over him telling her to come look at a beautiful sunset with the "wrong tone of voice" so she refused.......  It is now not about her helping him with the kids while I am at work, and more about not letting her sabotage her life and end up on the streets of Los Angeles at 19 years old after leaving Mississippi for a fresh start.  Oh the drama of it all.

cottagequeen:  thanks for your words of wisdom

drtracy: so much stress! oh my

meadowlily: no problems with ketchup ever;  i've always been eating raw foods, also with my cooked foods; salad is my staple ever since I was a child;  if I am away and don't have salads due to not enough access (I have gotten better at this over the last few years) I actually get a stomach ache.  The raw foods help me with digestion.  Thinking back to the past year, the cookbook that is standing out to me is  a raw foods cookbook; maybe I am vegetarianish?

ladyshanny:  I read and re-read the article;  I thought I am a moderator, but actually I am an abstainer I guess; it's easier for me to do the whole30 and just jump in and cut things out cold turkey.....

I tried on a fancy jacket from ages ago;  it fits!  Another one, not so much..... glad I didn't give them away.

i really want to lose 20 more pounds.  That's the bottom line.  

Did anyone read Dr. Hyman's article on the pegan diet?

Ok I am going to try to go back to sleep; night night everyone!  

Did anyone read Dr. Hyman's article on the pegan diet?

Just gussied-up marketing trying to create a niche from multiple camps. Wants a search engine-friendly term and will also pull people in who are searching for other related terms. Vegan itself is already a non-starter from anybody's program, but his plan isn't even vegan at all since it allows for eggs, fish, grass-fed beef "as a side dish" ... dude seems like a professional bet-hedger.

(full disclosure: I disagree with the existence of the Vegetarian Whole30 as well)

Boom! I finished the Whole 30!  

So interesting hearing your stories Cottage and Dr. Tracy.  Before last summer's Whole 30, I spent 5 years in OA. It's a big deal to "count days" as to how long you've been "abstinent" - although the definition of that is different for everyone. For me, it was much harder following "no sugar, no flour" because my rules were very loose. I never felt better than on the Whole 30.

Same story - once I went off Whole 30, I slid back to my old habits, and knew I really needed to restart in January, and I'm happy that I did. The whole torture for me in OA, was that I was either ON or OFF. So, when you're counting "abstinent" days and struggling, it goes like this: 0,1,0,1,0,1,0.... etc. Constantly restarting "the count."

I realized that falling off the wagon every other day was torture. I just decided I would be on or off. 

This time on Whole 30 was much more difficult for me mentally. But, I decided to really stick with it, so my brain would know I AM NOT MESSING AROUND!  

We all have such an interesting journey that brought us together.  Thanks for sharing here - it makes us all smarter and stronger!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Archived