The "Return of the Dirty Thirty" 12 January start date

dcducks1

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this group!  Thank you, Meadow, for all your sage advice. 

Miki, I will keep my eyes open for a calm adult dog that needs a home.  I'm looking for a kitten for my daughter, too.

Legoland went well, whole30-wise.  I "swung by" my house on my way from Bakersfield to San Diego and made myself a three-egg omelette with some coconut aminos ala nomnompaleo.  Sliced it up and ate it in the car on my drive down.  I brought some chocolate chili that we ate in the parking lot.  For dinner I had thai coconut curry soup with chicken.  No exercise. 

This morning I am doing my standard fried egg, kale and bacon breakfast.

Today is Day 3 of my February Whole30.

O Peoples.   I belong with the tribe.    I have a tribal mentality.   I belong with the peoples.   I need a Chief.

I belong with the peoples.   If I was moderating, I would constantly be editing myself and deleting everything.    The Chief lets me fling around, dance, post music and photos.   You can't do that as a Moderator.   What in the world would newbies think?      Just what kinda nut do we have here?   Is she on the loose from the Nut Hut?

Lily is better as a "consultant" than "on the payroll". Kinda like Consumer Reports not being beholden to any manufacturer, so they can be more honest in their reviews.

You guys are great! Everyone has such insight and humor. I love it.

A question about my bone broth. The ox tails I used had quite a bit of meat still on them. Should I remove as much of this meat as possible and continue cooking? I am about 17 hours into cooking.

No.  Don't remove anything.  It's going to melt away after 24 hours.   Everything will melt, you will strain and be left with the most delicious broth you've ever tasted.

Grannie,  I hope you're going on.   We'll send out solar flares together.     When all has been released to the sun and utilized,  we will  move beyond.

Kirkor, where will we be going after that?   After solar flares have returned to the earth in the form of energy - does the energy come back to us in the form of six pack abs and marathons?

Do we get a vacation home under the sea?   They promise you those things when you go to Disneyland.

I want them NOW.

96.jpg

Thanks Meadow! I'm definitely going on...I have lots and lots of solar flares to send up! BAM!

Have you ever been to Emeril's?  I bet you like Harry Connick, Jr.,  I do.

xmlua9.png

Dancing is just a conversation between two people. Talk to me.

I'm in on the solar flares - I want to release that energy into the universe, too!  Meadow, you have such a wonderful way with words and know just what song or picture to put in the thread to make me laugh or think!  Your comments are a big part of why I've felt connected to this group - everyone here is so supportive and knowledgeable! 

Weekends are definitely easier - I really didn't have to distract myself from eating this weekend, which is HUGE for me.  I went to the gym with my son for the first time in ages on Saturday.  What a fantastic workout - I felt so energized afterward!  Now, I'm dealing with just a bit of soreness in my lats, but it's the good kind of sore.  I made the most delicious sweet sausage soup (Everyday Paleo) yesterday.  That was my Superbowl food, along with veggies and guacamole.  So filling and comforting.  I don't remember who said it a few pages back, but I agree, it's nice to cook for me.  The food is so much better than the convenience foods I used to eat so much of. 

I did not make a bone broth, no bones at the grocery store.  I'll try again next weekend.  I am really looking forward to it, especially for cold, rainy days like today. 

Tonya -  have you ever heard of manmakers?   They're like burpees, but harder.   I'm wondering if we have athletes who are doing these.   I'm exhausted by just watching the video.   Soreness in the lats....good kind of sore.   I think you probably know how to do manmakers and burpees. 

To all who are out there exercising - may all of you get that euphoria bump when all the exercise is done.    You  deserve that.

I'm headed for the cement pond.   swim2.gif   Someone asked me if it was outside.  Nooooo, it would be frozen.  That's what we call the indoor swimming pool.    That's a throwback to Jethro Bodine and Jed Clampett.   

0412_jed-clampett_280x340.jpg

I'm going to the gym.  I've been coming up with excuses all morning - "MeadowLily said I needed to relax" .........  LOL.

Looking at the KETwhOle30 page.  I do want to try low carb paleo for a bit - something on standard whole30 is keeping me from completing a full 30 days without cheating, so I am going to go back to my Atkins roots this month.  I do see that one could make being KETO paleo stressful, with all the counting and everything. I don't think I am going to do the counting beyond counting carbs.  I expect the rest should fall in place.  If not, well, I'll do something different on my next whole30.

All I know is, it is my daughter's eighth birthday today and she has requested Cheesecake Factory.  With dessert, of course.  Aaarrgh!  I've got to plan wisely.

I'm starving this morning.  I know, not allowed.  But sometimes my body rebels and acts like it is starving just before it finally starts releasing pounds.  So I am going to stick to the template and tell my body it may burn all the fat calories it wants but it's not getting another meal for another hour or so after I get off the treadmill.

forgive me dirty 30 for I have sinned:  too much abstaining makes it hard for me moderate.  I used to be fine with both abstaining and moderating for a long long time but today I stress ate.  I absolutely had a whole milk latte and chocolate chip cookies.  for lunch.  I don't even like cookies.  ok time to move on.

stuck in blizzard. marinating meats and getting ready to cook salmon.... as soon as we eat the roast chicken I will start simmering my BB!  this is a first for me! washed my beautiful broccoli and kale and stocked up on mushrooms!  

I have been to Emerils before. He has a couple of restaurants here. Some of the best food I ever had for sure. And Harry Connick, Jr? Love him! I grew up with his cousins. New Orleans really is a small town of sorts.

Tulip, you are forgiven. Now go and sin no more my child. Lol! Stay warm.

Dr. Tracy, I did Atkins style for a long time before finding W30. Maybe with all the stress in your life you need the options Atkins offers (aka cheese and dairy) and less ingredient reading.

Tonya, good for you on the gym. And what kind of sausage did you use for your soup? I cannot find any compliant stuff here except Aidells chicken and apple.

Meadow - I have done the man makers, but not with heavy weights!

I have upped my gym time this week since finishing the whole 30.  I'm doing about a half an hour of strengthening, half an hour of stretching and half and hour of cardio each day.  The stretching and strengthening are paying off already - I am slowly ridding myself of some nagging right foot/right hip/right shoulder pain I've been carrying for many years.

For those of you who know/are missing Deb, her new show is on Food Network in 5 minutes!  I love to watch her shows - makes me not miss her as much!  This is the show she was working on in JULY!! Who knew it took that long to edit a show?

Hang in there my Dirty 30's!

Hello everyone,

Still digging out from homework and have piled on taxes to figure out in my "free time". Pre-op appointment was yesterday. Doctor moved the shoulder everywhere and ALL of it hurt like hell. Surgery will take 2.5 to 4 hours a week from Friday. Ugh!

Last night was a quick dinner of shrimp and some veggies and then back upstairs to the office and staring at the computer for hours. Weekend at national Harbor might be cancelled since my sister in law is having more problems with infections.

This is our last week so keep the faith and don't be tempted to cheat. Although some have fallen off the wagon.....you are still holding on tight...DONT LET GO!

And yes.......Meadow is our prized pupil! I am very proud of you Meadow....you are a perfect example to all of us!

Dave

Tulip-sometimes a non-compliant food has to happen so you can see why you are doing Whole30 and trying to make better choices in general.  With all that yummy food you are making, it won't be hard to get back on track.  And congrats on making it through 30 days!! 

Meadow-I am terrified to try manmakers!  Burpees used to be a staple in my warm-up, but no longer.  This extra 50 pounds (hopefully less now!) on my body does not make for pretty burpees. 

GrannieD-I too have had problems finding sausage in the store.  The one I used is from our local organic farmer - he raises his own livestock in addition to veggies, and has them butchered and packaged locally.  He says no sugars in the sausage, only spices.  They make scrapple, too, which as you may know is comprised of beef scraps.  It is sooo good - and no flours or sugars in this one!     

My skin, especially my hands, has been really dry all winter, and I was hoping that a Whole30 would help that, but there doesn't seem to be any improvement.  I'll keep drinking lots of water and applying lotion.  Maybe I need to apply coconut oil to my hands. 

Otherwise, good sleep, no joint pain!  That is the greatest thing I can ask for from this.  I actually got off the floor this morning by only using my legs.  I had to use both hands to help just a few weeks ago.  There is some research about how many limbs you have to use to get off the floor being equivalent to life expectancy/quality of life.  Now, my worry is will I be able to maintain pain-free joint status as I start to introduce exercise back into my day?  My second workout was last night, and it involved squats and jumps.  So far no swelling or pain in the knees.  Yay!

Darling Dirty Pups,

Well indeed all this BB talk is making me itchy to get in the kitchen. I will do mine in the crockpot and see how that turns out. Need to get some jars. I have shrimp, maybe I'll stirfry it with veggies and that for dinner tonight.

My life is my own again, bosses husband flies in tonight and then she is off to Montana till the first Tuesday of March. I will continue with the sunflares until the end of Feb when a friend comes in from Wisconsin. I'm going to up my exercise, add in hot yoga and lower the fat. I go way over the template (some game I play in my head) and although I feel like I've dropped a few pounds, it still isn't necessary. I'll have a salad with OO on the greens and then mayo with the chicken or tuna and then avocado. It is very filling, but I just think it is stretching the spirit of the program, something I am notorious for.

Darling Dave, I will be so happy to have you a whole man again. It hurts us all to know you are in such pain. Beautiful care you take of you SIL. Your a good man, no matter what Kelly says about you. Keep studying like this and you're going to be too smart for us...well not for Meadow, but you know what I mean.

Dr. T - I so know the temptation and frustration of never having your body where you want it. My body REALLY likes where it is right now and I can Atkins it down 10 but then I rebound. It is my hope that once I get my hormones in balance, that I can find a peace with both food and my body so I just live...can you imagine? Just get up, be hungry for the right things, stop eating when you've had enough? Meadow seems to be there, CC did it after 5 years of OA and all of us have probably brushed up against every quickfix in the book.

OKAY...I'm feeling reborn. A little hungry this AM, but will have a good breakfast and get on with my day...shop for bones on my lunch...it's a good life!

Make it a great Tuesday.

Tonya...the joint pain relief is the best for me too. I'm hoping the bone broth will help my skin. I'm going to use that as my Snacky go to.

Cottage Q, I hope my broth is as successful as yours.

Darling CC - you're an inspiration.

Grannie D and Tulip - Keep the faith. CANI Constant and Never-ending Improvement.

O Peoples of the WD30 Tribe,

Momentum.

dcducks - Dave knows how to create a wave of momentum.   He allows all of the peoples to ride his wave.  We  hop on our boards and  ride that wave right into the shoreline.   Some of us fall off but Dave sends someone out with the jet ski to pick us up so we don't flounder.

12surfing-600.jpg

Have you ever dated someone that you really liked but fear overtook the momentum?   Someone starts hiding and dodging your calls or pretends they can no longer see you.   That would be the high school type of dating.   Those poor dating skills can carry over into adulthood.    

The momentum has completely disappeared but lo and behold, the sap shows up on your doorstep or in your driveway.     You no longer give two hoots about this person....but they're trying to rebuild some sort of momentum.   The feelings are gone and you're so over it.   If you're smart and thinking of your own welfare, you will shut the door and wave goodbye.   So long,  ______.

There's something to be said for momentum.   I think it is a gift.  

filename-mg-8743-1807934635.jpg

When the momentum is rolling, don't change a WINNING game.   Ride that wave!   Ride it until it takes you right into the shoreline.     I've learned that once the momentum is gone it's very difficult to replicate it.      It's hard to work up momentum.

I knew when I started the WD30 that this was a wave that I wanted to keep riding until I was ready to hop off of my boogie board.   Full Tilt Boogie.

I knew if  I let this wave go, I might not get that same momentum back.     I've  learned to recognize momentum as a gift. 

There are people who are so gracious to let you ride their wave.   They make that wave available to everyone with no strings attached.     Guess who made their wave free for everyone to join in on the fun?

Melissa and Dallas.

Yes sirreeee.    They have made this site available for all of us to ride their wave.    It's a groundswell now.

When someone offers you a gift with momentum - take it.     You're going to be in for the ride of your life if you'll stay on your  Full Tilt Boogie Board.  

There are jet skis out there to pick you up when you fall off.   You'll get the hang of keeping your balance and maintaining your equilibrium rather quickly.    Never forget the gift of people who let you ride their wave.     I am forever grateful for those who create the wave.

Full Tilt Boogie 

628x471.jpg

I just googled "manmakers."  Ugh.  Those look hard.  A friend of mine does burpees standing on top of a medicine ball.  Looks dangerous to me.

That's what I thought, Higs.   I'll let the pros do those.

I was reading up on UTI's yesterday...kidney and bladder health.   I see alot of folks who are so anxious to go back to artificial sweeteners on Day 31.    Did you know that artificial sweetners are one of the culprits/ irritators for people who suffer with constant UTI's.   It's another big reason not to go back to artificial sweetners and that gum that everyone seems to miss so badly.    

Artificial sweetner overload.   If anyone suffers with UTI's -  if gum chewing is your Big Kahuna, think about editing it out of your maintenance strategy going forward.

Take a Break From Coffee

Sure, your morning cup of java perks you up, but it may also make your UTI symptoms act up again. Caffeine in particular is known to cause bladder irritation and worsen urinary tract symptoms. A study of people with chronic inflammation of the bladder found that people who drank coffee experienced worsened symptoms. Try a mug of non-caffeinated herbal tea to replace your morning coffee ritual until your UTI-free.

Skip Citrusy or Caffeinated Sodas

Sodas in general have been found to cause bladder irritation in people with chronic bladder inflammation, and they could aggravate symptoms in someone with a UTI. In particular, citrus-flavored sodas (think your favorite lemon-lime concoction) and caffeinated sodas are the culprits when it comes to worsening urinary tract infection symptoms. So when you're struggling to overcome a UTI, stick to water or cranberry juice as your drink of choice.

Scrap the Artificial Sweetener

When you're trying to cut calories at every corner, artificial sweeteners seem like a healthy replacement for sugar. But if you've got a urinary tract infection, it’s possible that your symptoms may worsen if you use artificial sweeteners. While one study found that artificial sweeteners worsened bladder symptoms in people with chronic interstitial cystitis, if these fake sweeteners bother you, skip them.

Archived