The "Return of the Dirty Thirty" 12 January start date

dcducks1

Good morning dirty birds!

Higs - I am the last person who should be telling anyone to NOT over do it! I am constantly in trouble with the wife because of not taking breaks or getting the proper rest when needed. Rest is really a problem now since my shoulder is really bothering me. I'm not sure if it is getting worse in my head because I am getting impatient for the surgery or if it REALLY is getting worse. Come on 13 Feb!

Committed - nice to hear from you. No one bites so please don't hesitate to chime in.

Meadow - you have released a lot into the universe......all of it good stuff!

Tulip - TMI? This is the Dirty 30.......NOTHING is TMI!

CC - poor you.....SPAIN? Please.........I got a feeling that you will some how suck it up and find a way to enjoy Spain.

I have school tonight and then off tomorrow and the weekend. Getting a new driver's license tomorrow.....OH BOY! Then I am taking my '66 Comet to drop it off for a new exhaust system that will scare the crap out of old people! Saturday should be pretty low key and then Sunday is the Super Bowl which I really don't care about. Next weekend I will be taking the wife to the National Harbor to stay at the Gaylord Hotel and go to a Dueling Piano bar with several other couples. Should be a good time. The trick will be the dining but I think I have that figured out.

Have a great day everyone.

Dave

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GOOOOD MORNING DIRTY BB Birds,

Yes indeed, roundin the corner headed for week 4...CAN you believe it. GD/CC simplify is NOT my word, but I did keep this W30 simple with tried and true weekly meals and for me that was much less stressful. I failed to add the bone broth and I will do that this week and next week will use that for different soups (chicken, beef & veggies etc). I serve the soups with ripped up fresh spinach and sliced avocado on top. VERY hearty and filling. Don't be afraid to add your sweet potato or some of those "higs" root veggies that I'm not quite accustomed to.

Meadow - FOR CRYING OUTLOUD indeed. speedos are scary, unless of course they're on Dave. Beautiful Pics.

CC - my boss has never taken me to Spain, she is threatening Africa though...too awesome. I still don't have my word for the year, but I haven't been arrested yet, so I'll let it go.

I have been very bad about exercise and that makes me feel lethargic. I still do "drop and give me 20" stuff whenever possible, but it's certainly not optimal.

Lady S, my mayo turns almost immediately too. 

Tulip, the mayo, mixed with fresh basil, garlic and a little OO and mustard makes an amazing dip. I suppose you could mix it with compliant (or whole ) salsa for a mex feel...I might even try a dollop on Chili.

CC - I'm so ready to have you and the gang over for jacuzzi night. I keep thinking you and Rick will make it to CA one of these days.

Miss Roseann & Deb. Deb was havin a blast in New York and she and I are supposed to meet in Feb...I hope we make it cause the boss is back for the WHOLE 30 days, in March. I like Tulip (I think) will try to just add in a couple of things for max 2 meals a week. 

My pain level is down, but I'm not responding near as quickly as last time. As Meadow posted all the BB Benie's I wondered if that might be what I'm missing. I'm hoping that addition this weekend will make a diff. I'm going to try throwing it all in the crock and letting it cook on low for the weekend, then I'll  freeze one and drink one.

Okay, I'm off to the showers. Big, long day today (not like CC & Rick's days, but long for me). I don't know how you guys do what you do, but lucky you have each other to do it with.

Dave, I almost laughed out loud when you "lectured" darling Higs on not overdoing. I thought about copying it and posting it on Kelly's FB so she could have a good laugh. You are a hoot and a holler.  

And by "hold it there for a minute" you mean 10 seconds, right?  Mine is usually from ingredients in a cup to beautiful fluffy mayo in less than 30 seconds!

Ha ladyshanny! That's probably the true time - basically don't move the blender too quickly is my point.

I'm slightly disturbed by the number of times a day I consider using food to comfort myself - I'm not actually hungry but want something crunchy or sweet. I'm missing crunchy things like chips a lot. I'm doing this as a challenge through my crossfit gym so we enter our food into a log everyday (just free form writing, not tracking calories) and I get the comment that I'm eating too much fruit sugar - 1/2 a grapefruit in the morning, mid-day/evening I may have a green apple or a homemade larabar (dates, nuts, raisins, cranberries - recipe from stupid easy paleo) or possibly both. I think I eat the apple and the larabar because they provide crunch, not so much for the sweetness although that doesn't hurt! I eat raw nuts but it's just not the same - too plain I think. Any suggestions on crunchy snacks? Or should I just try to cut out snacking altogether? I'm eating 3 solid meals a day.

I have been sleeping like a rock - it's unbelievable. I gave up drinking several regular Cokes a day and realized caffeine was causing me to wake up several times at night. I had been waking up several times between 2 and 6am for at least 5 years and it never even occurred to me that it could be the caffeine. Doing Whole 30 has only made me sleep better. It's awesome. I also think I've gotten stronger in the last month! Lifts are easier and I can lift more weight. It amazes me that I was so resistant to making this change in my life. A lot of it had to do with being mentally prepared. I did a challenge a few months ago at the gym where I did successfully quit Coke, but couldn't stay on track with food (might have been ambitious to do both at once!). I had been thinking about this and the 21 day sugar detox for at least a month before I started, considering how I would handle different situations, what I was going to eat, why I was doing it. It's made it so much easier this time around.

CC - I want to go to Spain! My dad retired last year and spent a month in Spain learning Spanish just for fun. I was so jealous!

Higs- consistency is most important. Killing yourself one day is useless. A little bit each day or every other day works a lot better, although one has to be humble :) That's the hard part! We all want results now, but have to be patient!

do you guys think there's any point in making bone broth if you're not using grass fed and finished animals bones?

I am sooo tired today; I was tired last night but it took a while to get the kids to sleep;  the baby still wakes up and our hot air / heat is really messing with my nose and throat; I got out of bed a few times just to drink water;  we have another heat system that is not working in my bedroom and a draft coming in through the side door.... it's very snowey here but I undug my car.  where to go now?  to whole foods?

ok so I keep kosher and the only pastured grass fed meat is beyond super duper expensive and I'm not sure if it's really good quality.  And it comes frozen.  

Anyway, it's 10:30 AM and I'm hungry.  Weird day today.  I have a babysitter so I should really go out.  

Normally I would be at the gym now but I am feeling un-motivated and I have a100 excuses and on and on; it's fear of ????? 

Ok back later;  thanks for keeping my mood uplifted; I love reading everyone's posts and progress.  

I'm on day 29!!!! Not sure if I should continue for another 2 weeks or just go into a slow re-intro process as per the book. 

The flip-side of high impact is No Impact = Couch Mode.   I've always been a walker but I've graduated to a Ridge Walker of steep slopes and steep hill/mountainsides.

Higs, CC/Rick,  Miki,  Dave, Nanny, Laurie, ChiggerCane are athletes.   I consider that a great and wondrous thing for changing their world.   They're willing to apply themselves and motivate people like me.  Couch Mode always does me so wrong.

In the beginning, I looked forward to being on the other side of all of this.   That's just not reality.   There is no such thing as being on the other side of taking care of our bones, joints, muscles, heart, liver, and brains.

How is everyone this morning?   Is the sun shining were you are?    Is the air you're breathing fresh and sweet?

There was the annual 1st of the year W30 group that started out with 300 people and many are now MIA.   They've fallen off the grid, some were a complete wash after the 1st week.   The W30 is not for sissies....exception is our Soul Sista,  Sissy.

kirkor

Advanced Member

• photo-thumb-53065.jpg?_r=1410877738
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 583 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Posted Yesterday, 02:38 AM

leaC, on 27 Jan 2015 - 4:20 PM, said:snapback.png

Soooooooo, I mentioned this earlier people, but I didn't get a response - what's happened to politicalmama (who started this thread), and the rest of the people who posted from page 1 to around page 20 but haven't been heard from since? I know some people may have moved to the Facebook forum but I can't believe everyone has? How do we get them to re-engage? I'd love to hear what happened....did they fail and drop out - too emberassed to write about it? (no shame there guys)...did they decide posting was too difficult?....did they feel they weren't getting enough from contributing to the thread?....WHAT HAPPENED? Seems like there are only a few of us left, the die-hards who post and post and post (and probably drive everyone else crazy) - wait, is that what happened???  :wacko:

BigLebowski_144Pyxurz.jpg

Welcome to the reality of the Whole30. It really is an exclusive club because so many people start with "best intentions" but then "life gets in the way" and they fade back into the woodwork. Hopefully they take some good habits back with them, but being as strict as a True BlueTM gen-u-wine Whole30 requires eludes a great many people.

Thanke___The_Dude_abides_____by_DragonCa

Can you believe we had over 300 people declare their intention to do the program? It'd be interesting to see data over the years of intent vs. follow-through. Reminds me of the gym business model: they depend on members not showing up.

BUT!

the_big_lebowski___jeff_bridges_9616.jpg  Kirkor.   The Dude Abides.

That's not to say those of us who post can pat ourselves on the back and think we've got something figured out. Yes we've seen the benefits of following through with an online support network, but the journey is only just beginning.
If we've successfully rewired some of our habits and given our bodies a nice healthy period of both renewal and growth, the challenge now is to keep it going for the rest of our lives. How will you 
ride your own bike

bwINsgT.gif

the-big-lebowski-the-dude.jpg

As many will report, Dave runs a tight ship.   Even if he's not lurking over your shoulder - you know he's out there in the bushes with his binoculars.   He's spotting your progress and taking notes.   Many of the originals can relay to you that is the best W30 they've ever completed in their life.   Ditto for me.

It was an awakening.    

Climbing out of the weight/scale mind warp is transcendent.  We inspire one another with our good decisions.    Some of us are planners and we like a meal plan to get back in the groove.   Planning helps me when I've been acting like a goofball.   The flip-side of planning is over-thinking every step you make, every move you make -  I'll be watching you.

Use what you have available.   If you don't have any GF Beef bones,  go to your butcher and buy what's available.      Make your  Bone Broth.    It's healing for your body, mind and spirit.   Higs has motivated me to make every essence and variation on the Bone Broth theme.   She's like that - very creative in the kitchen.

tumblr_n16mun56wy1r6rjufo2_1280.png

If you have pinecones and dirt, twigs and berries...use what you have.    Eat what your budget can afford.  5 - 1 - 5 - 0  The Whole 30   P o p o   is not coming to your house to pay you a visit.   Progress.   Not Perfection.   Apply what you know today and don't worry about tomorrow.   Tomorrow has enough worries of its' own.

72bf38149b9ff3da6b67a185d1894f51.jpg

Higs - we just gave Lil Soph a bowl of Bone Broth.   She went through it like a lawn mower.    Do you feed your pets BB?   The Bear stayed up late reading on the Whole 9 about Bone Broth benefits.    He says, his mother and aunts always had a pot of on the stove.

They threw every bone in they could get their hands on and just kept it hot....adding additional bones and vegetables as the family ate it.  People have forgotten what it was like to eat  whole foods that actually heal you from the inside out.    

I'm convinced the minerals are something I was really lacking.   Let's never forget this perfect food.

• Administrators

I'm slightly disturbed by the number of times a day I consider using food to comfort myself 

This was an enormous realization for me in my first Whole30.  ENORMOUS!  Once I started paying attention to it I began to see just how dysfunctionally I treated food.  My suggestion to you would be to beef up your meals so that you don't need to snack.  Whomever commented on your fruit was both right and wrong. If you are trying to kill a sugar/snacky/cravey dragon, stay as far from those homemade larabars as you can get.  They are a straight sugar bomb to your insides and they would be keeping the cravings and snacky desires alive, for sure...whether you are eating them for the crunch or the sweet, same result.

It's uncomfortable at first, not comforting yourself with food. Because it means you have to actually feel whatever feelings you're having whether it's boredom, restlessness, anxiety, sadness, happiness etc.  Really committing to making that change though rewards you with a HUGE step in the direction of a healthy relationship with food (and yourself!).

you have to actually feel whatever feelings you're having whether it's boredom, restlessness, anxiety, sadness, happiness etc.  

You mean I have to FEEL my feelings!? It sounds so ridiculous that we actually have work on this! But you are right. I never really understood the expression "eat your feelings" but now I do...and I don't think I even have that screwed up of a relationship with food. But I still need to work on it.

It might be too early to ask this question, but how can I still enjoy food (like the larabars or wine or brownies etc) but not use to comfort myself? I don't want to live without those things forever. I want to enjoy them as a treat. I think that's different than the reintroduction phase. Right now, my plan is to eat close to Whole 30 about 80-85% of the week, with 3-4 meals less strict. I want this experience to truly become a lifestyle change, not just something I did for 30 days and nothing stuck. Make sense?

• Administrators

You mean I have to FEEL my feelings!? It sounds so ridiculous that we actually have work on this! But you are right. I never really understood the expression "eat your feelings" but now I do...and I don't think I even have that screwed up of a relationship with food. But I still need to work on it.

It might be too early to ask this question, but how can I still enjoy food (like the larabars or wine or brownies etc) but not use to comfort myself? I don't want to live without those things forever. I want to enjoy them as a treat. I think that's different than the reintroduction phase. Right now, my plan is to eat close to Whole 30 about 80-85% of the week, with 3-4 meals less strict. I want this experience to truly become a lifestyle change, not just something I did for 30 days and nothing stuck. Make sense?

It's not too early to ask but you may be asking from a place of cravings rather than true desires at this point.

There is also the possibility that you cannot enjoy sweet treats.  This has been discussed a few times in teh last month at least, but here's the thing.  There are moderators and abstainers.  Moderators can't abstain from anything "indulgent" because they become resentful and then go crazy with it.  Abstainers can't moderate because they can't control themselves and eventually they go crazy with the item.  If you are a true abstainer (I am) then it is just easier by a billion to avoid the things that are problematic for you.

One of our other members "dfox" explained the whole thing really well the other day:

If moderating is necessary due to risk of over consumption, then to me herein lies the problem. If one must moderate behavior, one has identified the negative impacts of that behavior, and therefore should probably simply avoid it all together. My reasoning is simple, I don't have the stats, but would guess that 90% of the time someone modifies behavior to become healthier, they will inevitably find themselves back where they started as moderation generally evolves back to normal. Our minds are poor at deciphering the difference between perceived frequency versus actual frequency of bad behavior.

And there's also this article on moderators vs abstainers.  It's worth a read and a really critical look at yourself, your behaviours and your past experiences. http://www.gretchenrubin.com/happiness_project/2012/10/back-by-popular-demand-are-you-an-abstainer-or-a-moderator/

Best wishes for Dave's recovery. He had the surgery, right? I know he is still looking around and asking us to go clean something.  In his honor I am deep cleaning my blinds this evening :-)

Day 26 for me this time around and going for Whole60, I need it for healing purposes and for killing that sugar dragon that still chases me from time to time.  It has been easier this time, third time and we a wohoooo. I am feeling better overall health wise, and convinced that my 2 batches of BB has a lot to do with that.  I need to experiment with chicken bones next time. Maybe get a full chicken and cook it in the slow cooker for dinner, then deboned and use the carcass for a broth... Will see. 

Rough days here at work, considering moving on, but still considering it.

Lily I love your posts, hi to all of you out there, Miki, Laurie, Highs, Granny, Tulip Girl, Commited to cook :-) xoxoxoxox

Oh Meadow - thanks for the laugh...me, an athlete??  At one point in my life, yes.  But now - not so much.  I'm trying to get back to that person.  Someday I will.  And anyday that the lungs breathe, the air is fresh and sweet!  And walking is changing your world one step at a time!

I am back on track, having lost my way a couple times the last week.  Bone broth prep is on for my weekend.  Thanks to everyone for the inspiration and motivation.

We just put away 16 - 2 cup portions of BB in the freezer.   We gave some to my folks and they're having some for an afternoon break.   Bear told my Mawmaw it will remove wrinkles, cellulite, fix your teeth, repair your hair and bones and fix your belly.   Whatever he tells her, she's immediately on board with.    I borrowed some of those flavors from the fancy place.  A cup aday keeps the cravings away.

What kind of coffee was served on the Titanic?

: Sanka 

You Should STOP drinking coffee if...

You can jump-start your truck without cables

You can ski uphill

You can walk 10 miles on your treadmill before you realize it's not plugged in

Your doctor tells you your blood type is Coffee

Your eyes stay open when you sneeze

The only time you're standing still is during an earthquake

You look at energy drinks and laugh really, really LOUD

You're so wired, your ears pick up FM radio

You short out motion detectors

You forget to unwrap Larabars before eating them   :D  :P  :lol: 

Health-Benefits-Bone-Broth-PrimallyInspi

mayo 3rd round:  light and creamy; creamy and light; I added garlic and cilanatro.  last batch was tastier, (more garlic?) but this time I accomplished fluffiness!  forgot to ASK about bones while I was out shopping;  i mean the butcher has to have bones right? ok i think i ate too much or something that wasn't right; DAY 29; I can't believe it......!  how many people are in this group anyway?  oh, and I ate fruits! little slices of fruit salad with my dinner; oh my I'm probably going to die!  and i bought an assortment of potatoes!  i'm on the fence about potatoes; i've read too many articles about how they are not good for you;  very science=ey stuff..... i might want to add a different kind of complex  carb into my meal plans after these very delicious 30 days.  

also:   I went out today and I survived a lengthy hungry time without food without fainting or eating the larabar in my purse!  

I had the easiest drive home from VA today - so grateful for that! I remembered to pack food for the trip :)

Dave – are you going to Bobby McKey’s? I am a lover of piano bars, and that is one of my favorites!

Meadow – thank you for all the Spain pictures! Inspiring!

Committed – it sounds like you are doing great! I gave up Diet Coke last June – a lifelong addiction. Even though I added almost everything back to my food plan after my Whole 30, I never added that back. I miss it sometimes, but it’s definitely “no brakes” for me!

Miki – I’m sure Rick and I will make it out to see you and Deb. Her next show starts next weekend it think!

Love the conversation on moderators vs. abstainers. I know I need to be an abstainer. This conversation is a good reminder for me.

Today is day 29 for Rick and I. I believe I will be skipping any SuperBowl parties on Sunday.

Happy Friday Team!

I hope that Larabar falls out of your purse and the bugs eat it,  Tulip. :D     I don't eat white potatoes but I do like the purple ones.

We had more people in the beginning. Some are hiding out at the Hole-in-the-Wall.   They'll come back.

hole_in_the_wall_2.gif

Archived