The scale isn't moving

Mamaclark124

Ok so first I know I'm not supposed to weigh myself, but I'm under doctors orders to lose weight. I do it once a week on a Monday. The first week I lost 4 pounds, since that the scale hasn't budged in three weeks. I eat according to the template, I follow the rules I've even been exercising more (3-4 days a week for at least 30 mins) so what gives!!!! I'm not going to give up as this is my second whole thirty and I love all the other benefits. I actually fought with the dr to do this diet as I know it's what is best for me. I just know I have to go back in a few weeks and if I haven't lost she'll yell at me again.

• Moderators

Ok so first I know I'm not supposed to weigh myself, but I'm under doctors orders to lose weight. I do it once a week on a Monday. The first week I lost 4 pounds, since that the scale hasn't budged in three weeks. I eat according to the template, I follow the rules I've even been exercising more (3-4 days a week for at least 30 mins) so what gives!!!! I'm not going to give up as this is my second whole thirty and I love all the other benefits. I actually fought with the dr to do this diet as I know it's what is best for me. I just know I have to go back in a few weeks and if I haven't lost she'll yell at me again.

If your doctor is 'yelling' at you, instead of appreciating all the other changes that you're making and the positive outcomes that you've gained, perhaps it's time for a different doctor.  As you know, the scale is not reliable in terms of dictating health... yes, you may have weight to lose, but choosing a healthy lifestyle in the longrun is going to make a heck of a lot more difference than doing some sort of calorie restricted diet just to move the number (not saying you would do that, but if docs are only concerned about the nubmer on the scale, then they often don't care HOW you get it to move). 

• Moderators

I do understand the need to lose weight, truly. Not the, I want to lose these last 5-10 lbs, but the need to lose weight because you know it's affecting your health. However, you still can't force it. And stressing about it won't help.

Here's what I would do. First, list all the benefits you personally have seen from eating this way. Whatever they are. Less aches and pains, sleep better, more relaxed/content, clothes fit looser -- whatever it is. Physically write them all down. Keep a record of what you're eating -- not in a calorie counter, but just a list, or even pictures. Your meals should have lots of veggies, some meat, some fat, maybe some fruit, right? Stay off the scale, you're just stressing about it. When you go to the doctor, tell them not to tell you your weight. When your doctor walks in the room, before (s)he even has a chance to say anything, say: I don't know whether I have lost the amount of weight you think I should have, but let me tell you about all the good things I have experienced -- and then list them (have the list with you to read, in case you get nervous). And then, before (s)he says anything, say, and let me show you the foods I've been eating -- show a list/picture of your plates piled with veggies and healthy meats. And say -- I love eating this way and how it makes me feel, and I'm going to keep eating this way, no matter what.

If your doctor says, I don't care, you didn't lose pounds, walk out of that office and find yourself another doctor. 

(Or skip the stress and just cancel that appointment and find another doctor. That would be a much easier option.)

• Moderators

Averaging a pound per week is a decent sustainable rate of weight loss. Very rarely do any of us see consistent losses from week to week; the scale is a fickle and fairly useless tool, honestly. That's one of many reasons it's a rule and not just a recommendation of the program to stay off the scale. Next week you might drop another four pounds, and that would be absolutely no indication that you could attribute that loss to your behaviors the previous week. Weight loss is cumulative and it's not a linear process.

Do yourself a favor and stay off the scale. Keep a record of what, when and how you're eating, exercising, and supplementing and bring that to the doctor's office. (Also, I presume you meant it figuratively that your doctor "yells" at you. If not, yes, I agree it might be worth shopping for another doctor.)

Once a week on a Monday?  

This reminds me of my neighbor.    They're paying over $300/month to weigh in every week.  They also have to buy so much of these packaged foods - protein bars and drinks.   The doctor does yell and carry on there, too.   It did work and they were constantly tweaking her food plan.   There was calorie restriction and weekly monitoring.   

Is this similar to what your doctor does?

Has your doctor done a full Thyroid panel including reverse T3 and Thyroid Antibodies? Has your doctor run a full Adrenal test to make sure your adrenals are functioning well? Has your doctor run a full hormone panel to see that your hormones are balanced? All of these can prevent you from losing weight (ask me how I know). Eating healthy is step one but if your hormones are off you can train for a marathon and not lose any weight. Also check out this great article about why the number on the scale is meaningless. http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/. Good Luck!

Thanks for all the feedback. Let me share a little more of the story.... So first off I'm not overweight, I'm 5'8" and about 153lbs. I had done my first whole thirty in October and lost and kept off about 8lbs. I began seeing this doctor in December for thyroid issues ( she's an endo) I went back in January and after some unsuccessful "off roading" over the holidays gained it all back. She was very unpleased that in 3 weeks I'd gained 8 pounds. My labs came back with low thyroid functioning and Hashimoto antibodies present. Given that she began me on synthroid and told me to see a nutrionist. I told her about my earlier success with the whole 30 and she told me it wouldn't work. So to prove her wrong, I started another whole 30, knowing it would make me feel amazing, and I should lose the weight!!!! So far I feel great, but the pounds aren't moving. I don't eat a lot of nuts or fruit but I will cut them to see if it helps.
As far as meals go,
Breakfast is : some potato, spinach or kale and 3 eggs. I make a frittata and add half an avocado. I usually skip the fruit, but if I do eat fruit it's a 1/2 a grapefruit

Lunch: usually oven roasted chicken breast over mixed greens with olive oil and vinegar. Some extra veggies (usually carrots) and an apple or orange

Dinner: usually a whole 30 approved recipe from either clothes make the girl or nom nom paleo. I like to cook and try and make my dinners for the week on the weekends so I can just heat and eat.
I also will make monkey salad for desert.

I do a 30-40 minute kickboxing, Pilates or Zumba workout most nights. I don't add the extras pwo because I'm not hungry and usually go to bed about an hour after my workout.

I can't pinpoint what I'm doing wrong

• Moderators

. I told her about my earlier success with the whole 30 and she told me it wouldn't work

I'll let the moderators comment on the meals, but my question is... if she doesn't think eating whole, nutritious food will 'work', then what is her suggestion?  Seriously interested.... 

I also will make monkey salad form desert.

^ Start here.  Try a week with no fruit and see what happens.

Stick to template meals:  Protein+fat+veggies.

Do you do these 30-40 minute workouts every night because you enjoy them, or because you feel like you need to, to lose weight?

Sometimes we get stuck in a vicious cycle where this type of activity only really serves to stimulate our appetites.  What about lifting weights, building some muscle, and going for walks?

No I work out because I enjoy it. I work full time and have two school aged children so my workouts are my me time. I skip a night if I'm too tired, or just not in the mood.

I don't really enjoy weight lifting so I skip it. I would walk and do in the spring, but I live in the northeast so it's just too cold for me to workout outside.

I will try no fruit and see if that helps. Thanks

I've been told my whole life if I just lost ten pounds I'd be( fill in the blank) you name a diet and I've done it. I've yo yoed most of my life up or down 15 pounds. I've been conditioned so to speak to live by the scale. This is the first time in the last 10 years were I feel in control of food not not letting food be in control of me. It was mortifying to have her yell at me over 8 pounds. I knew I had not eaten well and that I needed to make a change, I didn't need someone to tell me. I left there determined to prove to her that this way of living was what was best for me.

I have issues with the scale and my body. I thought long and hard before I started my first whole 30. I bought the book a year before I started it because I wasn't sure if I could do it. After doing it for less than a week I knew this was for me. I know that all the other things I've gained are better. Thanks for the support

• Moderators

I'm sorry, but there is never a time when it is okay for a doctor to yell at a patient or make the patient feel mortified about something. I assumed you were exaggerating. If you have any other options at all, find a different doctor. You don't need to prove anything to someone who would do that.

• Moderators

I honestly still don't see that there's anything "wrong" or that you're doing anything "wrong." So far you've lost four pounds in four weeks. And that's already being at a healthy weight. 

Please don't lose sight of the forest for the trees. You gained weight over the holidays because you ate junk and too much of it. The majority of Americans do the same. Simply returning to Whole30 is doing you good, and figuring out how to make it work for you long term is crucial. You're being medicated for a new diagnosis, and thyroid issues take time and patience. AIP might help, but it also might make you crazy and have minimal impact. Try it, of course, if you like, but what worries me is the sense of panic you seem to be bringing to a situation that might not call for it.

When my thyroid was not being treated properly, I packed on the pounds. Fast. If you're doing what worked before but the med is the only change, I'd start there before I start beating myself up! How long have you been on synthroid? Do you feel any better or any worse since you started taking it? Is your doctor monitoring your thyroid levels when you go back in? Does she test your free t3 in addition to free t4 and tsh? Will she also test your reverse t3?

Since your thyroid is directly responsible for your metabolism, and since incorrect dosages and / or medications can swing your hormones one way or another, I'd ask your doctor to treat you properly FIRST before telling you you're not doing enough or doing things right. Yell at her if she's not treating your thyroid properly!

Stopthethyroidmadness.Com is a good resource if you want more info!

Thanks Karen. I started the synthroid a week after I started my second whole 30 ( 3 weeks ago) I'm only on 25 mg. My functioning was low, but still making some hormones. She said given my symptoms, hasimotos antibodies present and family history ( mom and maturnal grandmother both have hasimotos and low thyroid) she wanted to start the meds before my thyroid stopped working. I'm going back in March for more blood work and to see how/ if things are working. So far I haven't felt any different from the meds. I attribute the changes to the whole 30; better sleep, no cravings, stable emotions etc.

Mama, you've been given some great advice.   I still can't imagine any doctor yelling over 8 lbs.   Most of them see a steady stream of individuals of 80-180 lbs over the norm.   Normally, 8 lbs wouldn't raise an eyebrow.  Must have been a momentary lapse of judgment.   :huh: 

Mama, you've been given some great advice.   I still can't imagine any doctor yelling over 8 lbs.   Most of them see a steady stream of individuals of 80-180 lbs over the norm.   Normally, 8 lbs wouldn't raise an eyebrow.  Must have been a momentary lapse of judgment.   :huh: 

And you know what I was thinking about this yesterday?  People go on a week's vacation -- a cruise, whatever -- and gain 8 pounds.  Easy.  

OP gained 8 pounds over three weeks -- at the Holidays.  I would guess that's about normal, for people who "let go" at the Holidays.

I really hope, Mama, that you will think about finding a doctor who cares about HOW you lose weight...  not just one who wants to see that # on the scale go down, at all costs.  That's not someone I would want "taking care" of me.

Gaining 8lbs over three weeks is pretty standard I'd guess for a lot of people over the holidays. I know it happened to me. :ph34r:

One thing I might want to change is your dessert. You mentioned you eat the monkey salad thing. I'm not exactly sure what this is but I've seen it in other people's logs. (Bananas and nuts? Seems to be considered w30 compliant by a lot of people, though anything eaten as dessert is not.) I'm not sure it would affect your weight but losing the need to eat something sweet after dinner is a nice side effect of the w30. Even now after months of wildly careening off road I haven't gone back to eating ice cream or chocolate after dinner.

I agree with others that maybe your doctor isn't the best fit for you. It would frustrate me to no end to have someone tell me eating whole foods "won't work." I would get myself all jammed up having imaginary conversations where I challenge the dr to "show me the evidence," etc. I can totally understand wanting to prove her wrong but maybe also you need someone supportive. And up to date on research!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the feedback. Let me share a little more of the story.... So first off I'm not overweight, I'm 5'8" and about 153lbs. I had done my first whole thirty in October and lost and kept off about 8lbs. I began seeing this doctor in December for thyroid issues ( she's an endo) I went back in January and after some unsuccessful "off roading" over the holidays gained it all back. She was very unpleased that in 3 weeks I'd gained 8 pounds. My labs came back with low thyroid functioning and Hashimoto antibodies present. Given that she began me on synthroid and told me to see a nutrionist. I told her about my earlier success with the whole 30 and she told me it wouldn't work. So to prove her wrong, I started another whole 30, knowing it would make me feel amazing, and I should lose the weight!!!! So far I feel great, but the pounds aren't moving. I don't eat a lot of nuts or fruit but I will cut them to see if it helps.

As far as meals go,

Breakfast is : some potato, spinach or kale and 3 eggs. I make a frittata and add half an avocado. I usually skip the fruit, but if I do eat fruit it's a 1/2 a grapefruit

Lunch: usually oven roasted chicken breast over mixed greens with olive oil and vinegar. Some extra veggies (usually carrots) and an apple or orange

Dinner: usually a whole 30 approved recipe from either clothes make the girl or nom nom paleo. I like to cook and try and make my dinners for the week on the weekends so I can just heat and eat.

I also will make monkey salad for desert.

I do a 30-40 minute kickboxing, Pilates or Zumba workout most nights. I don't add the extras pwo because I'm not hungry and usually go to bed about an hour after my workout.

Hashimotos is an auto immune disease. Have you tried the AIP protocol? Some of the whole30 compliant foods may still be causing you problems like eggs and nightshades. Have you checked out The Clothes Make the Girl? She has thyroid issues and her story may help you. https://www.bulletproofexec.com/72-an-idiots-guide-to-thyroid-health-with-dr-alan-christianson-podcast/.  

http://thewholejourney.com/how-to-optimize-your-thyroid-the-randy-and-christa-show-video.

http://thethyroidsessions.com/dr-kelly-austin-nd/. Also check out this book that may help.  http://thyroidbook.com/. Good Luck.

Archived