Starting July 1st

misti

For dinner tonight I made the coleslaw from the book- so good! Our dinner guest said he does not like coleslaw but liked that. In addition we had perch brushed with ghee, dill, garlic, & lemon juice, roasted potato 'fries', and steamed green beans.

Yummmmm!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will stop weighing myself. i wanted to see if the whole 30 would kickstart my weight loss for me. I felt like I was eating a larger quantity of food than before. I wanted to make sure my portion sizes were not too large so I used the scales to show me .(

As someone who has been obsessed about her weight to the point if recurring disorders I understand the need to check using scales. But whole30 is not linear in weightloss terms. Unlike ww or other diets I don't lose weight gradually on this way if eating...if my past 30s are anything to go by I will be bloated horribly next week but by the end I'll have lost weight...last time I lost 3 inches off my waist. So hang in there and remember tat a figure in the scale doesn't mean much...the way you feel, look and fit into your clothes mean far more. If you need to see then measure your boobs, waist and hips at the start and end.

My advice would be to lose the scales. I haven't weighed myself in years, I go by how my clothes fit or how I look in front of the mirror in my pants but mostly by my fabulously smooth, bright 40 year old skin, bright eyes, steel like nails and thick hair; my non aching arthritic joints, ability to run after 30 odd years of believing I'd never be able to and the return of regular periods after years of massive gaps in my cycles.

Xx

I'm still working on having more protein for breakfast-I don't think I can eat more than two eggs! Also, if anyone has any great easy to digest breakfasts that don't include eggs or greasy meat I'm all ears. Hubby had eggs and it just wasn't pretty. Stupid non-existent gall bladder!

StinaBomb - I food one of my Whole30s on AIP, which means no eggs. My go-to meals included grilled steak with say potato rounds celery and cashew butter. I found that avocado and most other meats made me nauseous.

On day 5, technically. I had a slip up on Monday and had to restart. I work at a snack food plant and completely not thinking grabbed a pretzel at a quality testing and spiced it in my mouth. Taught me my lesson about mindless eating!

I feel like I am reacting based on my original timeline. Woke up Thursday and Friday and could not get out of bed either day - definite day 6 and 7 symptoms. But my first NSV today - woke up at 630 no alarm feeling wide awake and focused!

Not weighing yourself is a rule of Whole30. Stop weighing yourself. Find other motivation, like getting healthy or exploring new foods. As you go through the next month, you may notice less bloating, better sleep, better skin, a general sense of contentment, and more energy. Those are the things to think about for motivation.

For the coconut yogurt, I'd ask how you're planning to use it. Are you going to use a bit in a recipe, for a sauce, for instance? That's OK. Are you going to have it for breakfast with fruit and nuts because you miss your normal breakfast foods? That would be missing an opportunity to focus on one of the often overlooked parts of a whole30, changing how you think about food.

If you do choose to use it, remember that it is a fat source.

Is this allowed?

Thank you Shannon for your reply. I ate the coconut yogurt one day as a snack with strawberries and blueberries.

Yeah, using the coconut yogurt this way is more of a Paleo treat/dessert which isn't allowed on a Whole30.

Instead, the recommended snack, when genuinely hungry (litmus test: you could eat something bland, like steamed fish and broccoli), is a mini meal of protein, veg and fat. If you're going to have fruit, have it with your main meals only.

Okay then if it isn't a dairy product then it really isn't used as a replacement for yogurt or a treat that's the confusing part to some

They're still replacing a snack or sweet treat with the fake yogurt it isn't a whole food such as fruit

With a meal

????

Could it then be used to marinate meat if it is fermented like a. yogurt?

MeGA coconut yoghurt is a made from coconut milk, a probiotic powder and tapioca starch and contains no dairy. Like coconut meat (or cream, or oil) it is a fat, and can be used during whole30 in cooking. And yes, it could be used for marinating.

I believe Shannon has addressed the fact that it shouldn't be used with fruit/nuts to feed a craving for a traditional breakfast type dish in her post above.

While at my gym this week, all I could smell was the mouth-watering perfume of freshly baked goods. There is no kitchen in the gym and I was in the sweaty, smelly spin room. The struggle is real! :)

That sounds like an allergic reaction to me - are you eating anything new? Or a lot more of something you rarely ate before?

Seems weird that husband and I would have the same allergic reaction.  I can't think of anything new I've added - we were pretty good eaters in the way of vegetables before.  I've been using a little more coconut oil and milk but I've always loved coconut.  Nobody else has had this happen?

But my first NSV today - woke up at 630 no alarm feeling wide awake and focused!

Newbie question - What is NSV? Oh I think I just got it - non scale victory???  But that does bring me to another question - which I also know the answer to as well, but really need some affirmation and feedback on- I am on around eight prescription medications - mostly for migraines, migraine prevention, fibromyalgia, TMJ, and back issues - most of which have fatigue as a side effect. I would love to wake up feeling wide awake and focused, but it seems no matter how much I clean up my diet it never happens and it seems logical that the medication is to blame. So what typically happens is that I get to a point where to be completely honest I start feeling sorry for myself and decide that if I'm going to feel like crap anyway I might as well enjoy eating the crappy food (even though it makes me feel even more like crap!).Sorry to ramble on so much - anyway my question is this - if I am unable to get off these medications or until I can, what would you suggest I tell myself when I start feeling like there's no point in sticking to this?

Seems weird that husband and I would have the same allergic reaction.  I can't think of anything new I've added - we were pretty good eaters in the way of vegetables before.  I've been using a little more coconut oil and milk but I've always loved coconut.  Nobody else has had this happen?

This  is true - although in my defence I'd pretty much just woken!

Coconut in general can be problematic for some, but it's more gastrointestinal or skin related.

Maybe if you post a few days worth of food/liquid intake something might jump out...?

@ tlovesb:

I have migraines as well, though I am not taking any medication for them at this time. I've read various testimonials on this site as well as in the book It Starts With Food in which people mention that their migraines are either drastically reduced, or vanish entirely during the course of the program. One of my goals for this W30 is to pay particular attention to this aspect of how I feel, and see if there is any correlation to what I may be eating and the migraines. Of course I don't know anything about your particular situation, nor am I a medical doctor, so I can't offer any specific advice except to ask whether or not you have talked to your doctor about these issues and your Whole30 in general. Maybe he or she can shed some light on the situation?

I am on around eight prescription medications - mostly for migraines, migraine prevention, fibromyalgia, TMJ, and back issues - most of which have fatigue as a side effect. I would love to wake up feeling wide awake and focused, but it seems no matter how much I clean up my diet it never happens and it seems logical that the medication is to blame. So what typically happens is that I get to a point where to be completely honest I start feeling sorry for myself and decide that if I'm going to feel like crap anyway I might as well enjoy eating the crappy food (even though it makes me feel even more like crap!).Sorry to ramble on so much - anyway my question is this - if I am unable to get off these medications or until I can, what would you suggest I tell myself when I start feeling like there's no point in sticking to this?

There IS a point.  You said yourself that eating crappy food makes you feel even more like crap.

At the very least, choose food that makes you healthy, to nourish your body.  When you feel like crap, instead of reaching for food that makes you less healthy, decide to make another choice that makes you feel good or at least compassionately/gently/lovingly treats your body.  I'm talking both healthy food and non-food choices here. 

My personal experience: I've been living with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) since Oct 2005.  I've been on one of the medications since Jan 2006.  Made a whole bunch of lifestyle changes too, including initially going gluten-free in the fall of '06 (after being diagnosed as gluten-sensitive), and then predominantly Paleo/Whole30 in May of 2013.  I've been relapse-free since Jan '07, and have had no new lesions since the fall of '07. Yet, my neurologist tells me I'll need to stay on my MS meds for likely the rest of my life, as the research has shown that people who go off their medication or never take it increase their chances of either needing walking assistance (cane, walker) or a wheelchair later in life.  I'm in the best shape I've ever been, weight-wise and body-composition wise, since discovering the Whole30. In the 2+ years I've been eating this way (completing two Whole30's during that time and largely eating ~90% Whole30 otherwise), I've lost ~25 lbs and have kept it off, along with losing lots of inches and 1-2 clothing sizes: I feel terrific, and most people who meet me in person are shocked when they learn my age (I'm currently 50) and that I have MS.

In the meantime for you, I wonder if it makes sense to have a conversation with your doctor about altering your medications to diminish the fatigue impact?

my mouth did for the first week the 1st time around. I had just had a crown replaced so thought that was it, but my gums were swollen on both sides and burning, very sensitive.  I ate soft foods (eggs, mashed cauli, soups, etc) until it calmed down.

Is 4th of July the best holiday???

Kirkor, great photos!  I'll be right over, lol. I've got a spread all lined up, too, all ready for the bbq. I've been chopping veggies, mixing ranch dressing, marinating meat, etc, etc. 

Have a great 4th, everyone!

This may be way premature, but if I continue to feel amazingly well eating this way, I may just want to continue. Socially, it could be a bit tricky with the no alcohol and no  dairy when eating out, ....I'll just have to see.

I read the phrase " food hermit" somewhere   :D  and I don't want to be one of those people, lol. Lea C and I were writing about that sometimes you just have to be That Person. You know, the one who always says, "Can I order that WITHOUT the ..." (fill in the blank( or who never eats the birthday cake at work.  For me saying no to the  cake is a small price to pay for feeling great, but there are other things that I will probably have a harder time passing up on.. Of course right now I have it very easy, I'm on vacation and have plenty of  time to shop and prepare food. 

Have any of you continued to eat W30 for an extended time period?

Archived