Starting July 1st

misti

Day 3 dawns and my headache is twice as bad as when I went to sleep. Leftovers for breakfast? I think so.

Brandon, hang in there. It's sure to break soon!

Jen X - don't know if you saw the footage of Julie Foucher (Crossfitter) at the regionals this year.   She hurt her Achilles' in competition and continued on with some of the competition wearing a boot.  It was pretty inspirational.  Sorry about your setback.  There are lots of inventive ways to get good workouts without a foot but it is a challenge.  Make sure you give yourself time to heal (pun intended)!

DJ, thanks! I'll take a look. I did bring my gym bag today and will get over there at lunch.

Day 7 and things are going really well. I'm making a conscious effort to include even more veggies in my meals, particularly greens for the calcium. Last night was baked chicken, roasted asparagus and cauliflower rice from the Whole 30 book.  This morning, roasted veggies (broc, green beans, b.sprouts, onion, bell pepper and potato) plus 3eggs scrambled with kale that I wilted in the pan in chicken fat first.  Considering I ate all the fat from the pan I didn't add an additional source today. We'll see if I end up too hungry before Meal 2.  I did bring a hard boiled egg just in case I need something before I go workout. 

post-68926-0-80178300-1436285702_thumb.jpost-68926-0-15629900-1436285702_thumb.j

Have a great day everyone!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 7- everyone in my family are surprised I've stuck this far without giving into temptation. I have family members eating biscuits and other non compliant food in front of me. I have resisted saying yes to an offer of chocolate and biscuits. I've even been to a pizza restaurant and for the first time in my life not ordered a pizza!!! Yes it was torture and everyone around me tucking into the warm crusty pizza. I pretended to enjoy a salad from the side order menu.

In the past on diets I have shown poor willpower and after a day I will be eating chocolate and slices of cake. Then telling my family members this is allowed on my diet or I'm restarting my diet tomorrow. I have been restarting my diet for the last 20 years.

This time round this whole 30 way of eating seems to have connected with me. I always said I didn't want to be fat at 40. I've been saying this mantra for the last 20 years and never managing to lose the excess 20 to 30 pounds. I'm 3 months away from turning 40. Fingers crossed I will be in a healthy weight range by October :-)

Yeah... My wife and kids sent me to our favorite bakery in town (Called Bread and Butter - Nothing W30) to get them fresh baked Banana Chocolate Chunk muffins and pulla Bread (bread backed with rock sugar on the top) on July 2 (day 2) and again on the weekend.  One of the great things about this program is the control it gives with the ability to resist cravings and even make you truly not crave poor/crappy food once you have settled into the program.  I have posted about this a couple of times but the #1 thing that always floors me about this program is the way it gives me control over my nutrition.  I am a craving demon.  When I eat off plan, I sometimes spend my days satisfying one craving, planning for the next and then indulging, and repeat.   I gain 100% control when I am well into the program and I cherish this control more than any of the other benefits (tiger blood, weight loss, better sleep, etc.).  The sense of control over my life and my eating is invaluable.  Enjoy the win!

Cheers

DJ

this might sound weird...but is anyone else really HOT? I mean, I know I'm foxy and everything but the last day or so I feel like my body temp has been elevated. I'm literally sweating and my coworkers think it's chilly in here and that I'm crazy.

So, LaCroix flavored carbonated water is the best! When others are drinking wine or another adult beverage I will be very happy with this.

I love it! Mango is my favorite. I'd already replaced the soda in my house with this about a month or so ago. So many favors!!

Haven't made it to the end of the thread yet but I haven't been here for a few days - had a big work project to get out yesterday so no time for the computer while I worked most of the weekend. I also drank at a party on July 4 - I didn't cave to peer pressure or anything, I actually decided before we went that I was going to have a couple of drinks and start over.  I chose non-grain based vodka with La Croix which seemed like the least bad choice, and then started again on day 1 on July 5.  I haven't decided whether to change groups or just stay here though since I've been on this thread already.  I think I'd rather stay here.

Meals this week - for breakfast I'm having tomatoes, roasted baby white potatoes, and a burger-sized sausage patty with guacamole. (I buy organic ground pork and season it myself.)  Lunch is a huge spinach salad with TessieMae lemon-something dressing (compliant) and chicken breast, plus olives or a little coconut butter.  Dinners include chicken kabobs with broccoli and a side of olives, prosciutto-wrapped scallops with sugar snap peas, and tonight buffalo rib-eye cooked in ghee with roasted brussels sprouts in olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Those of you who are having trouble sleeping - opposite to apparently everyone else, I sleep 100x better if I have starchy veg with breakfast, fruit with lunch if at all, and only green veg at dinner.  I've had insomnia for years and when I am on W30 those carbs at night just keep me awake (and yes I end up with more hot flashes too).  Worth a try, anyway.

I started on July 1st also :) and i have been very good! No slip ups even when tempted or offered the yummy sugary treats from 4th of July. My husband hasn't been as good, but he's trying (at least i can get him to try). I have been having the balsamic glazed sweet potato and brussel sprouts from the whole 30 book and adding eggs to it in the morning and it is delicious!

i have 2 questions tho:

1.  I keep reading and seeing people having compliant Lunch meat, what brand are you buying? My Kroger that i shop at has Boars Head that they slice when you order it. Would they be ok? (not the honey smoked or Maple glazed but like the oven roasted turkey)

2. I am making the Chicken Hash from the Whole 30 book tonight and it calls for Apple Cider. Is there a compliant Apple Cider out there? or because its a juice its ok?

Yeah... My wife and kids sent me to our favorite bakery in town (Called Bread and Butter - Nothing W30) to get them fresh baked Banana Chocolate Chunk muffins and pulla Bread (bread backed with rock sugar on the top) on July 2 (day 2) and again on the weekend. One of the great things about this program is the control it gives with the ability to resist cravings and even make you truly not crave poor/crappy food once you have settled into the program. I have posted about this a couple of times but the #1 thing that always floors me about this program is the way it gives me control over my nutrition. I am a craving demon. When I eat off plan, I sometimes spend my days satisfying one craving, planning for the next and then indulging, and repeat. I gain 100% control when I am well into the program and I cherish this control more than any of the other benefits (tiger blood, weight loss, better sleep, etc.). The sense of control over my life and my eating is invaluable. Enjoy the win!

Cheers

DJ

i have 2 questions tho:

1.  I keep reading and seeing people having compliant Lunch meat, what brand are you buying? My Kroger that i shop at has Boars Head that they slice when you order it. Would they be ok? (not the honey smoked or Maple glazed but like the oven roasted turkey)

2. I am making the Chicken Hash from the Whole 30 book tonight and it calls for Apple Cider. Is there a compliant Apple Cider out there? or because its a juice its ok?

Compliant deli meat is tricky to find. You would need to ask your deli counter person for the ingredient label of any product to determine compliance. Besides sugars and sweetener, you'd want to especially check for carrageenan and soy.

You'd want to check the ingredient label of any cider you purchase to ensure compliance.

Day 7 and things are going really well. I'm making a conscious effort to include even more veggies in my meals, particularly greens for the calcium. Last night was baked chicken, roasted asparagus and cauliflower rice from the Whole 30 book. 

Hey JenX, how was the rice? I have the book and was thinking about making it sometime next week, but I was afraid I might end up disappointed.

Hey JenX, how was the rice? I have the book and was thinking about making it sometime next week, but I was afraid I might end up disappointed.

It was surprisingly good! I used ghee for the fat so it was buttery tasting and chicken bone broth for the liquid to steam it. Also added a bit of thyme and a dash of cayenne instead of the cilantro.  Last night I had leftover with coconut aminos and it was even better.

Made it to the gym at lunch and tried a few cardio machines. Turns out I can do the Precor AMT (adaptive motion trainer) elliptical since it does a whole range of motion so I can keep it basically in "stair" mode, mostly up and down.  Also recumbent bike was comfortable enough. Did a light 15 minutes on each along with weights and I feel so much better! Thanks again everyone for the ideas yesterday - that really helped me to go experiment. I may make it through the next 3 weeks without losing my mind after all! :rolleyes:

Compliant deli meat is tricky to find. You would need to ask your deli counter person for the ingredient label of any product to determine compliance. Besides sugars and sweetener, you'd want to especially check for carrageenan and soy.

You'd want to check the ingredient label of any cider you purchase to ensure compliance.

All I have found is Applegate Farms Roast Beef, but only the roast beef. And it's too expensive to become a staple in our house. And I hid it from my husband......

It was surprisingly good! I used ghee for the fat so it was buttery tasting and chicken bone broth for the liquid to steam it. Also added a bit of thyme and a dash of cayenne instead of the cilantro.  Last night I had leftover with coconut aminos and it was even better.

The Cauliflower Rice has been one of my favorite recipes!  I had it with the Korean Short Ribs from NomnomPaleo.

Day 7 felt alright.  I haven't slipped or really felt like diving into anything in particular.  I did have crazy dreams about baguettes and butter.

Today's meals felt really heavy - for breakfast I had sweet potato hash with spinach thrown in, 2 eggs, and a homemade sausage patty.  Lunch was roasted poatoes, green beans, and carrots, and 2 compliant Italian Sausages with a side of cherries, dinner was roasted cinnamon sweet potatoes, roasted pork loin and steamed broccoli and cauliflower.  Don't know why I felt like heavy meat today. 

Tomorrow I hit the road for a week at my sister's.  I did all the meal planning for the week and she's already done the grocery shopping.  It's always a house full  - 3 (sometimes 4) adults, 2 teenagers, 2 6yr olds, and a 1 1/2 yr old. I'm bringing homemade mayo and ketchup with me since I'll be the only one eating it.  I am a bit nervous because when I visit I'm ususally flying solo with the kids for the dinner hour.  I'm just worried that it'll be too chaotic and then I'll choose to not care.  I will miss chatting and having beers with my sister when she gets done with work - we like to mix it up and try different ones.  It won't be bad, just different.

Day 7 felt alright.  I haven't slipped or really felt like diving into anything in particular.  I did have crazy dreams about baguettes and butter.

Today's meals felt really heavy - for breakfast I had sweet potato hash with spinach thrown in, 2 eggs, and a homemade sausage patty.  Lunch was roasted poatoes, green beans, and carrots, and 2 compliant Italian Sausages with a side of cherries, dinner was roasted cinnamon sweet potatoes, roasted pork loin and steamed broccoli and cauliflower.  Don't know why I felt like heavy meat today. 

Tomorrow I hit the road for a week at my sister's.  I did all the meal planning for the week and she's already done the grocery shopping.  It's always a house full  - 3 (sometimes 4) adults, 2 teenagers, 2 6yr olds, and a 1 1/2 yr old. I'm bringing homemade mayo and ketchup with me since I'll be the only one eating it.  I am a bit nervous because when I visit I'm ususally flying solo with the kids for the dinner hour.  I'm just worried that it'll be too chaotic and then I'll choose to not care.  I will miss chatting and having beers with my sister when she gets done with work - we like to mix it up and try different ones.  It won't be bad, just different.

Your meals may have felt heavy too because there were potatoes with each meal. Just an observation. Maybe you're not used to eating potatoes with each meal in a day.

Learning to change pleasureable habits that include food/alcohol is hard, with regard to you and your sister. My daughter is turning 8 on August 1st, and since I restarted yesterday, I will still be inside my 30 days. She's worried her birthday won't be fun if I can't eat all the foods she wants. Of course, I reassured her otherwise, and I see that I've already handed down my food habits (that I'm currently trying to reframe) to her. And I have to learn that I can enjoy her birthday without the food and cake. It's about HER, and that's all that matters. But she said she wants to go to Sweet Tomatoes, so at least I can have *several* salads!

Idk about you yet I didn't care for the riced cawli recipe I much prefer it roasted just my preference :)

In all the time I've eaten Paleo/Whole30 I've never tried it. I don't miss rice so I don't need that texture, so roasted is good for me too.

Well, the headache has cleared up, but the food dreams have begun. I hate these for two reasons:

1. They rob me of sleep. They always go the same way. I casually eat something, realize it is off-plan, and immediately feel panic and guilt. Then, I ask myself, "Self, did you really just eat that ___________, or is it just your brain throwing a temper tantrum manifest as a dream?" To which I answer, "I don't know self, let's see." Upon which I promptly wake myself up. I can never just wait it out until I would wake up in the morning. I always have to know immediately. And I do it several time in one night. As a result, I don't get a full night's sleep, which is bad news when I'm already overly tired from my body adapting to the changes in what I'm eating.

2. I don't even actually get to enjoy delicious but forbidden food in my mind, because that is not the type of food I am addicted to. I don't dream about home baked apple pies or cheese souffle. I'm addicted to food that is convenient. So last night woke up in a panic because I thought I might have eaten a dried out fast food breakfast sandwich.

On the bright side, I have no paralyzing headache, so today might actually be productive. 

Day 8 and I think I am out of the cranky/sleepy stages (for now). I feel good! I did have a dream about eating a lot of buttery popcorn, and woke up laughing. RIght now, I don't miss those bad-for-you-foods! The only thing I miss is wine :(

Skimmed through the comments, looks like everyone is doing great! I'm so glad everyone has been able to stick with it and hold themselves accountable.

My cold is still lingering and my chest is really congested. I have quite a lot of energy considering the way I'm feeling and lack of sleep (3 y.o. is sick too). I'm anxiously waiting to get better so I can get back in the gym!

I'm so very proud of myself because normally I eat pretty well, but when I'm tired or not feeling well is when I tend to start eating like crap. The thought crossed my mind briefly, once, but I knew I would just feel worse if I started that. I honestly haven't had any cravings and the dreaded sugar dragon hasn't shown his ugly face. I'm worried. I wonder if cravings will show up later. During my first W30 cravings were a struggle the entire time bc I kept feeding the sugar dragon with fruit. Not this time!

Archived