Starting July 1st

misti

Thanks for the advice, ill try that. Grapefruit juice was on the fruit salad, but noted, I will back off the morning fruit. Veggies for m1, I can't say any veggies but the standard omelet fair are at all appealing in the morning, it's hard enough to get myself to eat in the morn as it is much less the thought of eating broccoli or the likes and I am a huge fan of all veggies normally.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Thanks for the advice, ill try that. Grapefruit juice was on the fruit salad, but noted, I will back off the morning fruit. Veggies for m1, I can't say any veggies but the standard omelet fair are at all appealing in the morning, it's hard enough to get myself to eat in the morn as it is much less the thought of eating broccoli or the likes and I am a huge fan of all veggies normally.

I eat All the Veggies in teh morning.  Except brocoli.  Gag.  No.  Brocoli for lunch or dinner is delightful.  For breakfast is unpassable.  I seem to recall that there are a few other people who are in the "no brocoli" boat.  Make that roasted veggie mix I listed above and just leave off the little green trees.  ;)

Roasting carmelizes the veggies so they tend to be a nicer texture and flavour which is a bit easier in the morning.  Keep plugging away and you'll get there.

You might like to check out the thread surrounding non traditional breakfasts that we have going right now, there are some great ideas and pictures in there that might help inspire you for something that sounds delicious even in the morning! 

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/28832-lets-talk-non-traditional-breakfasts/

Glad you've found a solution while your ankle heals!

Day 26 for me (but will be continuing on with this crew as well...) I feel like the time has flown by and I'm just getting in the swing of things. i don't want it to stop!

I'll be home all weekend which is NICE and will work on Whole30 and some DIY projects. Very much looking forward to it :)

Good for you!

I'm not about to stop

Keep up the good work!

Ugh, I'm tired and Zumba is in less than 2 hours! May the music carry me through!! I ate lunch at 12, and it put in 4 fat servings so I wouldn't have to eat again til I get home which would be about 7.5 hours after meal two. I'm still full, so I must've nailed it. And it was all so delicious. Big salad with radishes and open handful of olives, hearty serving of balsamic and oil; FULL palm of chicken breast, baby carrots, and dipped both of those in about a quarter cup serving of guac; and one ounce of nuts. And I ate the whole thing at McDonald's! (Convenient location to my activities today. Their unsweet tea is pretty good too!)

Something I'm really liking about Whole30: I like the feeling of being full, and this way of eating gives me that WITHOUT making my belly stick out. Whenever I got full before, my stomach pouched out something awful!

Prayers/good thoughts for me for teaching my class tonight. I'm gonna need it cause I just want to take a nap. :-)

Still here - can’t believe we’re a third of the way through already!  I think it’s going OK with sticking to compliant food though I’m still struggling with getting the veggies in.  Surprisingly I haven’t been craving sweet things - though I’m still missing cappuccinos.  

Although I haven’t been able to post much I’ve been following new comments to the thread.  Looking at advice given I suspect I’m not eating enough for breakfast - though I’m not sure I can fit much more in.  My current favourite breakfast is: 2 hard-boiled eggs, 50g smoked salmon and carrot sticks (was berries but I’ve tried to follow the advice and switch to non-fruit)  I still pack my berries but only eat them if I’m still hungry, and if not I have them with lunch instead.  I take my breakfast into work with me so that packs easily and seems to keep me going 4 hours until lunchtime without needing a snack.

Another thing I’ve been wondering about…  I’m not someone who puts salt on things and am thinking I might need to include some/more.  Are there any guidelines for how much salt I should aim for?

Hi guys! Just wondering, is anyone still feeling completely normal? Since I started I haven't had any symptoms (neither good or bad), not even a headache. My diet wasn't SAD but it wasn't particularly healthy either. I ate all of the banned groups on a regular basis (except alcohol).

fmr_sailor, good luck on your zumba class! I'm sure you'll feel great as soon as the music starts :)

Hi guys! Just wondering, is anyone still feeling completely normal? Since I started I haven't had any symptoms (neither good or bad), not even a headache. My diet wasn't SAD but it wasn't particularly healthy either. I ate all of the banned groups on a regular basis (except alcohol).

I've felt pretty normal throughout - I was a bit wrecked during the first week, but that was due to lack of sleep which wasn't Whole30 related.  I haven't gone through a 'kill all the things' phase or anything.

I was eating paleo-ish before but my chocolate addiction was winning out.

• Administrators

Another thing I’ve been wondering about…  I’m not someone who puts salt on things and am thinking I might need to include some/more.  Are there any guidelines for how much salt I should aim for?

Yep, once you cut out any processed foods you lose a lot of sodium intake and you need to replace that somewhere.  Salt your food until it tastes good.  There's really no specific recommendation.

As far as not eating enough....I could not get by on 2 eggs, salmon and carrots, personally.  If that is taking you 4 hours to lunch then it's fine and it's what we get you to aim for.  You can always add another egg or some further salmon or some cooked veggies if you want to, you certainly have room to do so.

Veggies for m1, I can't say any veggies but the standard omelet fair are at all appealing in the morning, it's hard enough to get myself to eat in the morn as it is much less the thought of eating broccoli or the likes and I am a huge fan of all veggies normally.

Starchy vegetables seem to work better for me in the morning. Have you tried that? My favorite is roasted sweet potato. I have also done roasted white potatoes with bell peppers, kind of like "home fries," which is a more traditional breakfast item.

Well, after running 5 miles yesterday, lifting this morning, and Zumba tonight my legs feel like they each weigh about 500 pounds! And the left side of my head hurts, but I don't want to take pain reliever because the bottle doesn't have the inactive ingredients on it. But I'm not hungry, I'm not craving anything, and I'm just about ready to sleep. Although I've been in bed since 9. :-)

Hi all! I think I'm doing well -- eating three meals, I think I'm meeting the templates guidelines pretty well (though I eat way more veggies than suggested!), but... I'd (not really) kill someone for some chocolate and/or ice cream! It's teasing me everywhere I look -- I think half gallons were actually singing out to me when I went grocery shopping this week, my cat's food is reminding me of chocolate chips, a wicker basket made me think of an ice cream cone, etc. Though I never ate it daily, I previously ate a lot of ice cream (and sweets in general) and I can't imagine a day in which I am free of this craving. But I'll remain ever-hopeful that the day will come... One day. Wishing you all a great weekend!

Hey All!

I started July 1st and generally am feeling pretty good.  This is my second Whole 30 but my last one was way back in November of 2012!   My cravings haven't been too bad and my athletic performance is improving. :) (Partly thanks to Whole 30 I'm sure but also because I'm in the last 2 weeks of a 12 week weightlifting program.)  However, my sleep has been all over the place.  I can't seem to string more than 5 hours of sleep in a row if I go to sleep before 10 and aim to wake up at 6. And then of course on those nights I get distracted and stay up til 11 and have to wake up at 5, I sleep until my alarm goes off and wake up feeling like I could sleep for another few hours.  It's been kind of a mess.  

Before the Whole 30, I never had trouble sleeping through the night.  Most of the time I wake up in the exact same position I fell asleep in and for better or worse, I have slept through more than 1 fire alarm in my lifetime.  During my first Whole 30 way back when, I remember sleeping even more like a rock than normal (I didn't think it could be done), so I am even more perplexed as to what is going on.   

I haven't changed the frequency or intensity of my work outs so theoretically I am expending the same amount of energy each day pre-Whole 30 as I am during the Whole 30. I did use naps during the first week to get through low energy moments but there wasn't much correlation between days I power napped and days I woke up in the middle of the night.

Anyone have any thoughts or is anyone else have similar sleep struggles?  Tips and strategies would be appreciated. :)

Yours truly,

Sleepless in Nashville

Hope everyone is having a good Whole 30 weekend so far. I spent the morning working in the garden and getting some cooking done. Veggie saute for breakfast of onions, mushrooms, red bell pepper, and chopped kale -of course made enough for 2 days. Also did up some turkey taco meat. I'm thawing chicken carcasses for bone broth and will roast those in the oven after a bit. Also working on my first home brewed Kombucha - steeping the tea today so I can put it together. All in all a lovely day and the energy to enjoy it. This is my favorite part of the Whole 30 - when your mood levels, your energy soars and you've developed the cooking schedule you need to get the most done in the shortest amount of time. They you can really just enjoy the process. Enjoy your day!

Hey All!

I started July 1st and generally am feeling pretty good.  This is my second Whole 30 but my last one was way back in November of 2012!   My cravings haven't been too bad and my athletic performance is improving. :) (Partly thanks to Whole 30 I'm sure but also because I'm in the last 2 weeks of a 12 week weightlifting program.)  However, my sleep has been all over the place.  I can't seem to string more than 5 hours of sleep in a row if I go to sleep before 10 and aim to wake up at 6. And then of course on those nights I get distracted and stay up til 11 and have to wake up at 5, I sleep until my alarm goes off and wake up feeling like I could sleep for another few hours.  It's been kind of a mess.  

Before the Whole 30, I never had trouble sleeping through the night.  Most of the time I wake up in the exact same position I fell asleep in and for better or worse, I have slept through more than 1 fire alarm in my lifetime.  During my first Whole 30 way back when, I remember sleeping even more like a rock than normal (I didn't think it could be done), so I am even more perplexed as to what is going on.   

I haven't changed the frequency or intensity of my work outs so theoretically I am expending the same amount of energy each day pre-Whole 30 as I am during the Whole 30. I did use naps during the first week to get through low energy moments but there wasn't much correlation between days I power napped and days I woke up in the middle of the night.

Anyone have any thoughts or is anyone else have similar sleep struggles?  Tips and strategies would be appreciated. :)

Yours truly,

Sleepless in Nashville

You're not the same person now as you were then though so your needs may well have changed. Also  consider what your current stress levels are like as this will have a negative impact. .....

Starchy carbs taken later in the day rather than early often help with sleep, as will a magnesium supplement. 

Felt pretty good today except the residual leg heaviness from the past two days of workouts. Drove an hour to Whole Foods seeking fun Whole30 stuff. Looked at the Epic bars for my husband to have as emergency food, but I thought they looked SO GROSS through the packaging. I just couldn't buy them, but I did find some Epic jerky. He likes it; I do not. Bought some ghee as I have ZERO desire to make my own. Found some great compliant kielbasa, which we had for dinner sautéed with peppers and onions. Found hot dogs and sausage too! Got some new teas to try. And $1/pound zucchini to do zoodles spaghetti after church tomorrow. All in all, a good day.

Tomorrow I'm planning to run 10 miles, but I'm ready to cut it short if necessary and call my husband to come and pick me up if need be!

ame="StinaBomb" post="312930" timestamp="1436668500"]

In what way are you thinking about the why?[/quote

Well, I first heard about the Whole 30 from 2 friends. They were both doing it because they suspected a food group sensitivity. I don't suspect anything like that but was intrigued by their experience. I have struggled with weight issues since high school. After my second child I am once again pushing my maximum weight. I originally thought of this as a way to kick off some weight loss by learning a better way to eat. Weight Watchers worked for me when I was filling my plate with the worst low fat processed foods one can imagine. I felt horrible but was only 12 lbs heavier than my HS weight.

Well, I keep reading that the focus of Whole 30 is not about weight loss- so why am I doing it? It is making my week long visit to my sister challenging and I'm often altering a meal for myself. Today, while cutting cake for my mothers b-day party I had to regularly remind myself not to lick my fingers clean. It was then that it dawned on me what I was hoping for- habit change through thoughtful eating. I feel good right now & honestly don't miss any particular food (except the evening beer that is- one good cold beer on a hot night). It was this thought of habit change that is making me feel like I could start running again- maybe even do another triathlon!

I see why now so many people continue to eat this way- I feel nourished, satiated, and good about the food - although I honestly feel guilty about all the coconut. We focus so much on eating local and this seems to fly in the face of that. I don't know if I've lost weight but my pants sure feel looser and my wedding ring isn't tight. Forward to tomorrow!

Day 11, I am now in love with spaghetti squash. I made it last night with marinara & sausage. Today I fried the leftovers in olive oil and some vinegar, added chicken thighs, carrots, red bell pepper, and some coconut oil & milk-

Whoa! It was really good and almost Thai-esque. I'm going to experiment more with spices and more veggies.

Today I survived my moms B-day BBQ. I made compliant potato salad & coleslaw & had a burger on a sweet potato bun. I passed on the cake without even flinching, my wedding ring feels looser & I had to pull up my pants more. Feeling good!

StinaBomb: I think you and I are in this for very similar reasons. I have been a Weight Watchers member since 2001, and in fact, I am now a leader doing a meeting (2-3, sometimes) each week! I found the Whole30 through a WW Simply Filling group on Facebook. I have been struggling to lose a measly seven pounds for over a year now. Every time I get close, I'd sabotage myself with a "free (no counting points) weekend." I'd feel physically awful, emotionally guilty, and terribly angry with myself afterward.

So while I, too, came to the Whole30 for weight loss, I now see that as not the primary focus. Changing the behaviors that led me to gorge myself on weekends and not stay focused on my goals has become what I want the Whole30 to help me work on. And my husband loves it. We finished day five yesterday (after a restart having originally begun July1), and he said he could see himself eating like this most of the time going forward.

Hope you overcome your food demons!

Tomorrow I'm planning to run 10 miles, but I'm ready to cut it short if necessary and call my husband to come and pick me up if need be!

Good luck on the run! That leg heaviness may stick with you so just go slow and you'll be fine. Glad your husband is in call though...just in case. ;) With any luck, by next week all that leg fatigue will be a distant memory.

Good luck on the run! That leg heaviness may stick with you so just go slow and you'll be fine. Glad your husband is in call though...just in case. ;) With any luck, by next week all that leg fatigue will be a distant memory.

I survived! And my pace was normal with very little extra effort. I took 8 oz of coconut water mixed with 8 oz water, but I don't like coconut water, I discovered. Yuck! So I ended up only drinking about 5 oz total of the coconut water. I ate the baby food pouch at seven miles, when my stomach growled. It was yummy! All in all, an excellent run!

I was a tad worried around mile three that things might go bad because I felt a headache might be coming on, and my head wasn't feeling too clear. So I drank a little of my mixture every mile (I usually drink every two) and swished it around my mouth for a bit before swallowing. The idea behind that is that some of the sugar would be absorbed more quickly under my tongue as many homeopathic medicines are administered this way. (It goes straight to the bloodstream.)

I am VERY HAPPY with the way this run went. And the sun was covered by clouds the whole time!

Yesterday I felt really happy (I recognized that  certain kind of happy when my blood sugar is good) but over the last couple of days, I've had increasing back pain. Today it's so bad that I took ibuprofen. I'm doing my usual walking and my daily yoga stretches (which I've done for years) but it didn't help. Has anyone else experienced back pain? My husband suggested more calcium...and I just made myself a HUGE jug of water with fresh lemon in it to make sure I'm getting enough fluids.

What I don't really get is that this way of eating isn't radically different from how I ate before. I'm not coming from a SAD (Standard American Diet)- I quit grains and most processed sugar a year ago. For me the biggest difference is no dairy and absolutely no sugar.  I know that people coming from SAD can get leg cramps at first;could this be something similiar?

Any ideas as to why my back would start hurting so much?  

Archived