Starting July 1st

misti

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do have questions about pre and post workout meals. Here is what happened last Saturday: I did a 9 mile bike ride in 48 minutes at 10:30 am, about 2 1/2 hours after breakfast (2 eggs, ground pork, arugala, avocado, fruit) I got home from the ride and ate lunch at about 1:00 which was salad and deli turkey and avocado and dressing. That afternoon I went swimming and did about 10 laps and the water walked with a friend and was in the water for about 1 hour. By the time I got home I was starving and snacked until I ate dinner which was salmon, asparagus and sweet potatoes with plenty of fat and some fruit. Fortunately my snacks were all compliant foods but it really told me that I had not eaten enough that day. Even though in my past life (doing sprint triathlons) that much would not have required extra food, it appears now that it does. What would pre and post WO meals look like for a day like this?

Hey, Bojibelle - What I've found for my own body is if I'm doing something after breakfast (and am not hungry yet), that breakfast acts as my pre-workout. the general recommendation is protein & fat for pre workout so I do not include any carby veggies in said meal 1.  If I'm working out prior to Meal 1 I usually grab 1-2 hb eggs and a bit of mayo.

Post workout is protein and carbs (not fruit).  For anything I'm doing over 30'ish minutes, or if it was hard intensity I always eat my post-workout. if I don't I'm starving all day long, no matter how big the next meal is.  Generally I'm okay with 1/2 a palm of chicken breast (again, no fat, so no skin) and a bit of sweet potato, but everyone is different. You have to experiment to find out what amount your body needs for what activities/duration/intensity.

Getting in the water always makes me hungry! I dive and swim and do triathlon and every time I even LOOK at the water I get hungry! :D For swim, I'd probably do a full 1 palm of protein, maybe more.  Then turn around and be starving for my next meal 45 minutes later! LOL!

• Administrators

Week 2 started! Exciting! Question, how about plaintains? Haven't been able to see them listed anywhere ~ there are some interesting things to do with them.

Plantains are fine and are considered a starchy veggie.  

Hello all! I'm a bit behind the times and just joined Instagram (@stephs100lbsorbust) to make a photo memory book of my 100-lbs-weight-loss journey. If you haven't used it before, it's an amazing resource for Whole30! I've gotten to interact with some of this groups' members in a way that I really value (!!!), you can search #Whole30 and find a whole community of folks with some tie to the program (current, post, and prospective W30ers), and you can get a TON of recipe ideas!

I don't know about you, but I need all of the support I can get! I was reminded of that today when I wanted to pick up some ice cream soooo bad when I was in the grocery store. But I didn't. And here I am, grateful for all of you and what we're doing! Yay us!!!

My $0.02 on working out and being on W30... I only like to workout on an empty stomach. I wake up, wash my face, have a glass of water and start my workout. I then have my normal W30 meal one. I do not feel good having a pre-workout and a post-workout, plus three squares.

I workout 6 days a week and this works best for me. When I have 3 squares (W30 compliant) with good sized portions, I have Energy all day, I feel good and don't have hunger issues. Right now, I am really pushing the intensity and I will report back if the extra work changes my need to add pre or post workout meals.

Was off today and feeling good. Son turned 12 today!

Cheers

DJ

Day 8- the start of week two! Today was a little challenging as I had a four hour car ride to my sisters house that spanned the lunch hour. I had a hard time finding a good portable lunch (we typically lunch in the car). I didn't want eggs as I had them for breakfast- I made chicken salad & wrapped it in lettuce leaves- I used two leaves per roll to close up the ends. They were good but left me very hungry. I had lots of veggies cut up as well and only a little fruit. When we arrived at my sisters I was famished! I quickly made two more eggs because that was what was on hand, but that made me feel nauseous!

Any better ideas for the trip home next week? I left my book with hubby since he will have to fend for himself ;)

• Moderators

Day 8- the start of week two! Today was a little challenging as I had a four hour car ride to my sisters house that spanned the lunch hour. I had a hard time finding a good portable lunch (we typically lunch in the car). I didn't want eggs as I had them for breakfast- I made chicken salad & wrapped it in lettuce leaves- I used two leaves per roll to close up the ends. They were good but left me very hungry. I had lots of veggies cut up as well and only a little fruit. When we arrived at my sisters I was famished! I quickly made two more eggs because that was what was on hand, but that made me feel nauseous!

Any better ideas for the trip home next week? I left my book with hubby since he will have to fend for himself ;)

Chicken salad should have been an okay option -- did you maybe not have enough? Or are you used to having denser, cooked vegetables with your meals and maybe the lettuce and (I'm assuming raw) veggies just ended up not being as filling? 

You might find this article helpful, or google Whole30 travel for past discussions. 

Today my (second) day three, and I feel splendid! I was exhausted when I finally got to bed last night, but I woke before my alarm this morning. Headed out for a run. Expecting heavy legs, but I don't care. Just want to get out there and move!

I'm completely exhausted...I haven't slept in 2 nights because of my eyes...this morning I physically had to pry both my eyes open with my fingers, I couldn't open then naturally at all, they were glued together.

Then tonight I cut my finger open making dinner. I didn't even have a plaster so I had to continue with my finger wrapped in a sanitary pad which made it hard to finish frying the steak.

I'm so very tempted to just eat chocolate.

It's all just a bit much just now...I have a massive event on Saturday and I'm run off my feet...I'm fighting to stay awake and look after my son whilst looking at the world through a veil of tears ;(

Britishgal I'm so sorry this happened to you

Don't be sad it's going to get better

Priorities are your son and rest The prep will fall in place before Saturday

I am taking antihistamines MeGA...but they make me very tired and spacey. it's just one of those weeks when I can't take a break as I normally would ;( I've been putting cold compresses in my eyes in the evenings as the cold takes away the itching and pain and reduces the swelling. They are better again today than yesterday so I'm on the right track but it'll be a few days before they are back to normal I think...

9 days in! Still going strong...chocolate (and sugar in general) have always had such a hold on me and I had a MAJOR NSV a few days ago: Picture you walking into the breakroom at work and seeing that some evil person purchased a 150 piece bag of chocolate (M&Ms, snickers, Reese's, Twix, etc)...and LEFT IT FOR EVERYONE TO "ENJOY"!!!!!

2 weeks ago I would have eaten 84 pieces of candy....I would have had chocolate everywhere...it would have been in my hair  :(  

....but I literally had no desire to eat it. I knew that it was good, knew I usually would love it...but still had no desire to eat it.

YAAAAAY ME! YAY US!!!  WE CAN DO THIS!!! ;)

I am up before the sun without an alarm for the first time since my last whole30. Feel to good to laze around in bed! This go around I have been concentrating on recognizing satiety cues. As a chronic over-eater/binge eater I don't really know when I'm full unless I'm stuffed. The first Whole 30 helped, I haven't binged at all because my body is getting the nutrition it needed. On that one I ate the upper end of the template the whole time. This time I am fixing my plates closer to the lower end of the template on protein and fat (max veg tho) and then really concentrate in whet my body is telling me. Am I still hungry? Did I eat enough to be satisfied? If I really need more I go back at get more but I give it a good 10-15 minutes first. Most times I decide I really am full and most times it holds me for 4+ hours. I think that's a real improvement and will continue post Whole30 as best I can.

Have a great day!

Day 5, and I've entered the babbling phase, where I stare off into space for long periods without even realizing it and have a general inability to string two coherent sentences together. It's a good thing I like my coffee black.

I too am about here. I consistently walk into a room and forget why I'm there. I'm fussing at the kids and hollering where are my keys??? Uh, dummy, they are in YOUR HAND! Reminds me of when I was expecting....called it "preggo brain!"

Ok, so I'm feeling totally normal today, and it's freaking me out. I ran 5 miles this morning. Did a hb egg and 4 olives before the run, and a few bites of chicken breast and 1/2 white potato after the run. Ate 3 eggs and steamed carrots and small cup of pineapple tidbits for M1. Had leftover turkey hash with half a baked potato and 1 ounce of nuts for lunch. Was hungry when starting dinner so ate one hb egg with a dab of guac on each half. Dinner was steak (palm sized), 1 1/2 small red potatoes with bit of oil and roasted squash & zucchini. And a salad with baby carrots, radishes, and balsamic & oil. Oh, and my bad, a box of raisins (1 oz) immediately after finishing dinner. (Yes, dessert-ish, but I'm aware and working on it!)

So...... Did I do anything wrong? Did I eat too much potato? Why do I feel ok? I got a tad sleepy mid-afternoon (the norm), but otherwise, I feel fine. Like completely regular and normal. Am I making any non-ideal food choices? I think I should be feeling crappy, but I'm not and I want to make sure I'm doing well, not just compliant.

Now that the hubbub of the July 4th weekend is past, does anyone have any more personal outdoor eatin' plans this weekend?

Maybe a nice picnic?

It's freaking hot in NC now. I don't even want to walk outside to my car. And I've been roasting vegetables (3 trays worth) and baking chicken, frying steaks. Now it's too hot inside too.

I get why women didn't really exercise years ago. It's cause they worked their butts off cooking and cleaning up the kitchen. And I haven't even touched the laundry and there's a bunch of house cleaning that needs done......

• Moderators

Ok, so I'm feeling totally normal today, and it's freaking me out. I ran 5 miles this morning. Did a hb egg and 4 olives before the run, and a few bites of chicken breast and 1/2 white potato after the run. Ate 3 eggs and steamed carrots for M1. Had leftover turkey hash with half a baked potato and 1 ounce of nuts for lunch. Was hungry when starting dinner so ate one hb egg with a dab of guac on each half. Dinner was steak (palm sized), 1 1/2 small red potatoes with bit of oil and roasted squash & zucchini. And a salad with baby carrots, radishes, and balsamic & oil. Oh, and my bad, a box of raisins (1 oz) immediately after finishing dinner. (Yes, dessert-ish, but I'm aware and working on it!)

So...... Did I do anything wrong? Did I eat too much potato? Why do I feel ok? I got a tad sleepy mid-afternoon (the norm), but otherwise, I feel fine. Like completely regular and normal. Am I making any non-ideal food choices? I think I should be feeling crappy, but I'm not and I want to make sure I'm doing well, not just compliant.

Embrace it! Your meals look okay -- you don't list a fat for M1, be sure you don't skip that -- you could drizzle a little olive oil over your carrots or something, eggs have a fair amount of fat, but it doesn't hurt to have a bit more. Some people don't follow the timeline, and you had started already and restarted, maybe you're a little ahead of the timeline because of that.

Embrace it! Your meals look okay -- you don't list a fat for M1, be sure you don't skip that -- you could drizzle a little olive oil over your carrots or something, eggs have a fair amount of fat, but it doesn't hurt to have a bit more. Some people don't follow the timeline, and you had started already and restarted, maybe you're a little ahead of the timeline because of that.

My fat for M1 was the tbsp of coconut oil I cooked the eggs in. :-) M1 and M3 tend to keep me full the longest. M2 always seems to come up a tad short, but I've really avoided snacking without allowing myself to get too hungry.

Greetings!!

Two weeks in & all is well!! I have been too busy to really notice being cranky or spacey!! Physically I feel great!! 

All cravings are gone. Just gone. I have no problem avoiding all snacking....& no problem avoiding late night snacks, which used to be my norm. Never in my entire life have I NOT snacked or attacked a crap food late at night. This is a wonderful change!!!

I am wondering about fruits. Since I used to eat fruits as a snack food I am feeling weird eating them with meals. Also they taste so incredible good now (way better than ever before) that I feel guilty eating fruits....like it must be wrong. I usually include a couple small chunks of watermelon, cantaloupe & about 4 cherries (all in season & just beautiful) with M2 & M3. Is that a bad thing??

Cheers to ALL.....Hang in there everybody!! Soooo worth it!!! 

Archived