Starting July 1st

misti

Morning y'all!

I made coconut collard greens this morning which is one of my favorite recipes from when I did Beachbody's Ultimate Reset. It's super simple so I thought I'd share...

Sauté 1/2 onion (diced) in olive oil until super soft and starting to brown. Add in one bag of shredded collard greens and 1/2 cup coconut milk and let simmer for ~10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with salt, stir, and that'll do it!

Before that recipe, I thought I HATED collard greens because I was force-fed them as a child. Not anymore! I love them! 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Idk about you yet I didn't care for the riced cawli recipe I much prefer it roasted just my preference :)

I usually do a roasted cous cous style cauliflower or just roast the florettes but it was nice to try something with a milder flavor. Plus I promised myself at least one new recipe per week this time around. I don't do well with food boredom so gotta keep it fresh!

Today's meals felt really heavy - for breakfast I had sweet potato hash with spinach thrown in, 2 eggs, and a homemade sausage patty.  Lunch was roasted poatoes, green beans, and carrots, and 2 compliant Italian Sausages with a side of cherries, dinner was roasted cinnamon sweet potatoes, roasted pork loin and steamed broccoli and cauliflower.  Don't know why I felt like heavy meat today. 

Pork for all 3 meals maybe? Mix it up with some beef or chicken, see how that feels.

• Administrators

But that does bring me to another question - which I also know the answer to as well, but really need some affirmation and feedback on- I am on around eight prescription medications - mostly for migraines, migraine prevention, fibromyalgia, TMJ, and back issues - most of which have fatigue as a side effect. I would love to wake up feeling wide awake and focused, but it seems no matter how much I clean up my diet it never happens and it seems logical that the medication is to blame. So what typically happens is that I get to a point where to be completely honest I start feeling sorry for myself and decide that if I'm going to feel like crap anyway I might as well enjoy eating the crappy food (even though it makes me feel even more like crap!).Sorry to ramble on so much - anyway my question is this - if I am unable to get off these medications or until I can, what would you suggest I tell myself when I start feeling like there's no point in sticking to this?

I'm late to this post but I wanted to come and give you some encouragement too.  For someone such as yourself who deals with a rash of health issues, eating good, whole, non inflammatory foods is really the only way to go.  There is no way for your body to even begin to start healing these problems you have if it is constantly having to heal itself from any food-like products you might be consuming.

Change and healing can be microscopic at first which means that although you can't see anything changing, it's entirely possible that your body is starting on the cellular level.  If, at some point during that cellular healing, you give in and eat doritos and brownies, it has to stop that healing process and move to mitigating whatever damage those crappy foods caused.

So, as far as what you can tell yourself?  I would say "Feeding myself healthy, whole foods is never going to be wrong and although I might not be able to put my finger on any healing going on, I know my body is doing just that and I don't want to derail that train. My body is extremely complex and I need to give it as long as I possibly can with a positive healing environment so that it can do its thing."

• Administrators

- Anyone else watching the Tour de France?   I love it and it's very motivational for me, I just rode my bike around the neighborhood!

YES!  Every year we watch it and every year around this time, magically, I feel inclined to pull my bicycle out and find the steepest and most ridiculous routes I can find and then pretend I'm on leTour.  LOL!

Morning y'all!

I made coconut collard greens this morning which is one of my favorite recipes from when I did Beachbody's Ultimate Reset. It's super simple so I thought I'd share...

Sauté 1/2 onion (diced) in olive oil until super soft and starting to brown. Add in one bag of shredded collard greens and 1/2 cup coconut milk and let simmer for ~10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with salt, stir, and that'll do it!

Before that recipe, I thought I HATED collard greens because I was force-fed them as a child. Not anymore! I love them!

I love collards, but I get bored with the same old way I cook them. I'll definitely try this! Thanks for sharing!

I am apparently not through the kill.all.the.things phase yet. I almost just went off on my boss! Hmm, could be PMS and not Whole30 I guess.  Time for some soothing herbal tea...

....think happy thoughts....think happy thoughts....

Not in the Kill All the Things space, but definitely not as happy as I could be. I actually felt better a few days ago, but have come down with a cough and just don't feel like doing much of anything - talking, eating, moving. Unfortunately, I have to work tonight so...

I started on July 1st also :) and i have been very good! No slip ups even when tempted or offered the yummy sugary treats from 4th of July. My husband hasn't been as good, but he's trying (at least i can get him to try). I have been having the balsamic glazed sweet potato and brussel sprouts from the whole 30 book and adding eggs to it in the morning and it is delicious!

i have 2 questions tho:

1.  I keep reading and seeing people having compliant Lunch meat, what brand are you buying? My Kroger that i shop at has Boars Head that they slice when you order it. Would they be ok? (not the honey smoked or Maple glazed but like the oven roasted turkey)

2. I am making the Chicken Hash from the Whole 30 book tonight and it calls for Apple Cider. Is there a compliant Apple Cider out there? or because its a juice its ok?

Regarding compliant meat - go to the Whole Foods Deli counter (if you have one) and ask for Applegate Roasted Turkey - it is turkey salt and water. I don't know about the roast beef because I don't use it. As for apple cider vinegar the best is Braggs but I use Whole Foods brand too.  Just look at the labils and make sure it only has apple cider in it. Hope this helps.

Day 8 and all is well however I am tempted by pictures of things that I don't even eat - like the new thin oreo?  Where did that come from?  I haven't eaten one in years and now I want one. 

Regarding sleep, I am going to try NOT eating carbs at night and see if that makes a difference.

I do have questions about pre and post workout meals. Here is what happened last Saturday: I did a 9 mile bike ride in 48 minutes at 10:30 am, about 2 1/2 hours after breakfast (2 eggs, ground pork, arugala, avocado, fruit) I got home from the ride and ate lunch at about 1:00 which was salad and deli turkey and avocado and dressing. That afternoon I went swimming and did about 10 laps and the water walked with a friend and was in the water for about 1 hour. By the time I got home I was starving and snacked until I ate dinner which was salmon, asparagus and sweet potatoes with plenty of fat and some fruit. Fortunately my snacks were all compliant foods but it really told me that I had not eaten enough that day. Even though in my past life (doing sprint triathlons) that much would not have required extra food, it appears now that it does. What would pre and post WO meals look like for a day like this?

I'm completely exhausted...I haven't slept in 2 nights because of my eyes...this morning I physically had to pry both my eyes open with my fingers, I couldn't open then naturally at all, they were glued together.

Then tonight I cut my finger open making dinner. I didn't even have a plaster so I had to continue with my finger wrapped in a sanitary pad which made it hard to finish frying the steak.

I'm so very tempted to just eat chocolate.

It's all just a bit much just now...I have a massive event on Saturday and I'm run off my feet...I'm fighting to stay awake and look after my son whilst looking at the world through a veil of tears ;(

• Administrators

I'm completely exhausted...I haven't slept in 2 nights because of my eyes...this morning I physically had to pry both my eyes open with my fingers, I couldn't open then naturally at all, they were glued together.

What is the matter with your eyes and have you been to a doctor??

I went in Monday morning...I ate at my mothers in Sunday and woke up the next morning with my eyes in agony and swollen. They think it is a reaction to food. I'm thinking cross contamination as there was breaded stuff and pasta and I helped feed my baby nephew and put food in my son's plate etc. They want me to do an elimination diet!

Oh the irony.

• Administrators

I went in Monday morning...I ate at my mothers in Sunday and woke up the next morning with my eyes in agony and swollen. They think it is a reaction to food. I'm thinking cross contamination as there was breaded stuff and pasta and I helped feed my baby nephew and put food in my son's plate etc. They want me to do an elimination diet!

Oh the irony.

That is a very crazy reaction, have you ever had anything like that before? Did you go to an eye doctor/optometrist? Sometimes the general MDs are a little too general.

Since doing a couple of whole30s chocolate makes me vomit and wheat makes my eyes itch...not like this though! That's why the Dr thinking it was a food based reaction makes me wonder if it was wheat even if consciously I didn't eat any I was around it. I'm waiting till they calm down (they are getting better even if they still look bad!), taking antihistamines then carrying on whole30 for a while to see if they do it again while eating cleanly...though if they don't flare up again on Whole30 I'll be very wary about wheat in future!

• Administrators

Since doing a couple of whole30s chocolate makes me vomit and wheat makes my eyes itch...not like this though! That's why the Dr thinking it was a food based reaction makes me wonder if it was wheat even if consciously I didn't eat any I was around it. I'm waiting till they calm down (they are getting better even if they still look bad!), taking antihistamines then carrying on whole30 for a while to see if they do it again while eating cleanly...though if they don't flare up again on Whole30 I'll be very wary about wheat in future!

Holy crap, that's scary, especially if whatever mystery wheat you had was small enough that you didn't even notice it!

I know that I cannot drink wine any more.  I'd been a big (BIG) red wine drinker in years past and when I did Whole30 my desire for it diminished and diminished and eventually kind of petered out. Now when I have wine, the next day I have a full blown allergy attack (like the kind you get from pollen).

Then tonight I cut my finger open making dinner. I didn't even have a plaster so I had to continue with my finger wrapped in a sanitary pad which made it hard to finish frying the steak.

I'm so very tempted to just eat chocolate.

It's all just a bit much just now...I have a massive event on Saturday and I'm run off my feet...I'm fighting to stay awake and look after my son whilst looking at the world through a veil of tears ;(

Sorry, but this bit made me LOL.... I usually just opt for kitchen roll when I've run out of plasters...!

Sorry to hear you're still suffering with your eyes. Have you considered going to a pharmacist? Or your local A&E? I had an eye infection after a Mud Rin last year and the pharmacist I saw in Boots sent me to A&E with a letter and they administered some ointment & sent me home with the remainder - it really helped.

Can you get any help prepping for Saturday?

I don't buy kitchen roll ;) thought of toilet roll but pads are sticky on the back so it stayed on ;)

I could go to boots tomorrow if it's not better but I don't drive so getting to a&e would be a nightmare so fingers crossed it's ok!

It's not just me on Saturday (PTA) but I'm the treasurer so a lot is my responsibility...if I wasn't so spacey just now it'd be fine but I just want it to be all over (especially as I can't drink pimms or champers or munch cakes even any of the hog roast)

;(

• Moderators

I do have questions about pre and post workout meals. Here is what happened last Saturday: I did a 9 mile bike ride in 48 minutes at 10:30 am, about 2 1/2 hours after breakfast (2 eggs, ground pork, arugala, avocado, fruit) I got home from the ride and ate lunch at about 1:00 which was salad and deli turkey and avocado and dressing. That afternoon I went swimming and did about 10 laps and the water walked with a friend and was in the water for about 1 hour. By the time I got home I was starving and snacked until I ate dinner which was salmon, asparagus and sweet potatoes with plenty of fat and some fruit. Fortunately my snacks were all compliant foods but it really told me that I had not eaten enough that day. Even though in my past life (doing sprint triathlons) that much would not have required extra food, it appears now that it does. What would pre and post WO meals look like for a day like this?

I'm definitely not an expert on things workout related (I really need to work on that) -- hopefully someone else will weigh in with better advice too.

In general, I think your breakfast may have been a little light -- it would take a ton of arugula to really be substantial enough to hold you. Probably you could have added some more substantial vegetables there. How much deli turkey was in your salad -- was it at least equivalent to the length, width, and depth of your palm, and up to two portions that size? It takes a ton of deli meat for me to feel satisfied, like basically a whole package if I buy the prepackaged stuff. And again, salad greens tend to look like a lot, but they don't necessarily have a lot of staying power -- when you have a salad, throw in other vegetables, maybe some roasted beets or sweet potatoes, or some zucchini or summer squash (cooked or raw), some cucumber, some tomatoes, radishes, snap or snow peas, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, bell pepper. Make it a really substantial meal. You've just said "avocado" with those meals -- a half an avocado? a whole one? Eat at least a half of one with a meal, and if they're small, go for a whole one.

I think if you had eaten at the upper end of the meal template at each of your meals, you might not have needed pre- and post-workout meals, although you can definitely play with adding them and see how you feel.

When you did realize you were hungry and it wasn't quite time for a meal, a better choice than the continuous snacking until supper time would have been to go ahead and have a mini-meal (or even a full meal, if you were that hungry). That means having protein, fat, and vegetables, just in a smaller serving size.

Archived