Starting July 1st

misti

• Moderators

Greetings!!

Two weeks in & all is well!! I have been too busy to really notice being cranky or spacey!! Physically I feel great!! 

All cravings are gone. Just gone. I have no problem avoiding all snacking....& no problem avoiding late night snacks, which used to be my norm. Never in my entire life have I NOT snacked or attacked a crap food late at night. This is a wonderful change!!!

I am wondering about fruits. Since I used to eat fruits as a snack food I am feeling weird eating them with meals. Also they taste so incredible good now (way better than ever before) that I feel guilty eating fruits....like it must be wrong. I usually include a couple small chunks of watermelon, cantaloupe & about 4 cherries (all in season & just beautiful) with M2 & M3. Is that a bad thing??

Cheers to ALL.....Hang in there everybody!! Soooo worth it!!! 

Having a bit of fruit with two meals each day is right on target. As long as you're eating all the other stuff you're supposed to be eating, you're good.

And try not to feel guilty about having fruit -- it is still healthy food. Many people find they eat more fruit in the summer when it's in season, and naturally have less in the winter. You might find this article interesting for a little perspective.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the link Shannon!! That is a perfect article for me!!

I chose July for my 1st W30 because of the plentiful fresh veggies & fruits!! The bonus has been my new found enjoyment of good meats....it's been 30 years since I ate pork & I made the BEST pulled pork on Sunday!! It's been the topper on my M2 salads all week!! (along with eggs, avacados, olives, olive oil & lots of fresh veggies!!). 

I have to say the foods in my meals have been delicious & very satisfying. I am planning on continuing these new meals long after the 30 days are up!!

Thanks!!

I'm definitely not an expert on things workout related (I really need to work on that) -- hopefully someone else will weigh in with better advice too.

In general, I think your breakfast may have been a little light -- it would take a ton of arugula to really be substantial enough to hold you. Probably you could have added some more substantial vegetables there. How much deli turkey was in your salad -- was it at least equivalent to the length, width, and depth of your palm, and up to two portions that size? It takes a ton of deli meat for me to feel satisfied, like basically a whole package if I buy the prepackaged stuff. And again, salad greens tend to look like a lot, but they don't necessarily have a lot of staying power -- when you have a salad, throw in other vegetables, maybe some roasted beets or sweet potatoes, or some zucchini or summer squash (cooked or raw), some cucumber, some tomatoes, radishes, snap or snow peas, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, bell pepper. Make it a really substantial meal. You've just said "avocado" with those meals -- a half an avocado? a whole one? Eat at least a half of one with a meal, and if they're small, go for a whole one.

I think if you had eaten at the upper end of the meal template at each of your meals, you might not have needed pre- and post-workout meals, although you can definitely play with adding them and see how you feel.

When you did realize you were hungry and it wasn't quite time for a meal, a better choice than the continuous snacking until supper time would have been to go ahead and have a mini-meal (or even a full meal, if you were that hungry). That means having protein, fat, and vegetables, just in a smaller serving size.

Thanks Shannon - I use about 2-3 cups of tightly packed spinach/ arugula mix and I also use some compliant bacon fat to cook the scramble.  As for the turkey it was 4 oz and the salad did have a ton of veggies.  I usually do 1/4 of avocado because I usually add salad dressing homemade from olive oil.  And by the time I realized I was hungry I had nothing to eat unless I made dinner.  I do have Epic bars in my cupboard.  Would that have worked if I had added some quick veggies?   I think what happened is that it surprised me that little bit of exercise impacted my hunger levels. I won't do a Saturday like this again.

Hey, Bojibelle - What I've found for my own body is if I'm doing something after breakfast (and am not hungry yet), that breakfast acts as my pre-workout. the general recommendation is protein & fat for pre workout so I do not include any carby veggies in said meal 1.  If I'm working out prior to Meal 1 I usually grab 1-2 hb eggs and a bit of mayo.

Post workout is protein and carbs (not fruit).  For anything I'm doing over 30'ish minutes, or if it was hard intensity I always eat my post-workout. if I don't I'm starving all day long, no matter how big the next meal is.  Generally I'm okay with 1/2 a palm of chicken breast (again, no fat, so no skin) and a bit of sweet potato, but everyone is different. You have to experiment to find out what amount your body needs for what activities/duration/intensity.

Getting in the water always makes me hungry! I dive and swim and do triathlon and every time I even LOOK at the water I get hungry! :D For swim, I'd probably do a full 1 palm of protein, maybe more.  Then turn around and be starving for my next meal 45 minutes later! LOL!

Thanks JenX.  As I mentioned elsewhere I think I was just surprised how hungry I got when the exercise I did wasn't really that taxing.  I have learned my lesson.

Chicken salad should have been an okay option -- did you maybe not have enough? Or are you used to having denser, cooked vegetables with your meals and maybe the lettuce and (I'm assuming raw) veggies just ended up not being as filling? 

You might find this article helpful, or google Whole30 travel for past discussions. 

I would grill some hamburgers, make some coleslaw (Well Fed 2 has a great recipe), have an avocado and have some carrots and maybe an apple.  Simple but filling.

Day 9 and feeling good.  l had a social event to attend late afternoon. I figured there would be food there that I wouldn't eat and decided I would eat when I got home around 6:30.  I looked at the food and most of was not W30 compliant but they did have some grilled chicken and some raw veggies.  As I wondered through the displays I wasn't hungry so didn't worry about.  And then suddenly I was hungry so it was either eat the Epic bar in my purse with some veggies but  I asked the caterer about the chicken and she said it was grilled - no other details but it was not swimming in sauce.  I am sure there was some canola oil on it but it wasn't greasy.  So I had a quick snack of a few the chicken bites and veggies (but no fat) and then headed home to my real meal of a roast organic chicken with skin, WellFed2 coleslaw, sweet potato with ghee and some watermelon.  Usually I would have toughed it out and been really hungry when I got home.  Because I ate the mini-meal, I didn't pillage the kitchen when I got home.  NSV for me.  It is hard to eat mini-meals because for some reason that seems wrong but snacking and pillaging my kitchen doesn't.  I am learning.

I am up before the sun without an alarm for the first time since my last whole30. Feel to good to laze around in bed! This go around I have been concentrating on recognizing satiety cues. As a chronic over-eater/binge eater I don't really know when I'm full unless I'm stuffed. The first Whole 30 helped, I haven't binged at all because my body is getting the nutrition it needed. On that one I ate the upper end of the template the whole time. This time I am fixing my plates closer to the lower end of the template on protein and fat (max veg tho) and then really concentrate in whet my body is telling me. Am I still hungry? Did I eat enough to be satisfied? If I really need more I go back at get more but I give it a good 10-15 minutes first. Most times I decide I really am full and most times it holds me for 4+ hours. I think that's a real improvement and will continue post Whole30 as best I can.

Have a great day!

JenX - This is good awareness.  Thanks for sharing.  I am going to observe this for myself as well.

I would grill some hamburgers, make some coleslaw (Well Fed 2 has a great recipe), have an avocado and have some carrots and maybe an apple.  Simple but filling.

I definitely did not have enough food- the chicken wraps were a bit of a pain to make so I cut myself a bit short. I love the hamburger idea! I think I could do roasted sweet potato buns- even a cold burger is a good burger ;).

Thanks for the suggestions!

Day 9. Nothing to say really. I'm handeling being away from home well. I bought a big package of chicken thighs & have them cooked in the fridge for lunches- also have left over pork chops I can do something with. Tonight I made the Korean short ribs from Nomnompaleo for my sister & family. I used more ginger and garlic than I did last time & it still could have used more. I absolutely love that recipe- served it over cauliflower rice. My sister & teenage nephew loved it, even my mom said it was good & she doesn't like too much. They're seeing that this Whole 30 thing really isn't that crazy!

I definitely did not have enough food- the chicken wraps were a bit of a pain to make so I cut myself a bit short. I love the hamburger idea! I think I could do roasted sweet potato buns- even a cold burger is a good burger ;).

Thanks for the suggestions!

Talk to me about roasted sweet potato buns.  How do you make them?

Need some help on veggies.  I can't do tomatoes and peppers because of reflux. :(   I used to eat those all the time so I get stuck in a rut for roasting veggies - zucchini, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, broccoli, onions, yellow squash, asparagus, carrots. I even tried roasting romaine lettuce on the grill but not sure I would do that again. What else can I roast?  Ideas?

Need some help on veggies.  I can't do tomatoes and peppers because of reflux. :(   I used to eat those all the time so I get stuck in a rut for roasting veggies - zucchini, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, broccoli, onions, yellow squash, asparagus, carrots. I even tried roasting romaine lettuce on the grill but not sure I would do that again. What else can I roast?  Ideas?

All variety of potatoes, parsnips, leeks, turnip, yams, cabbage chunks or slices, egg plants, radishes, mushrooms - really any veg you can cook in any other way will work well (& probably better) roasted..... Add in some chopped bacon,or apple (some cashews even) and spices & fat of your choosing..... & yum, yum, yum!

Just to fill you in...saw the Dr again yesterday afternoon and my eyes are looking a lot better. I'm to stick to whole30 (stricter than their elimination diet...they just want me to eliminate gluten but are ok with my way) for 3 weeks before testing gluten. I am scared of what effect that may have!! I don't want to feel like this again for another week in the middle of the school hols ;(

Up at 4:30 am to go and teach a weight training class at 5:45. Wasn't sure when I restarted Tuesday how I would be feeling today. Was worried about having the energy for my class. I'm feeling pretty good! Ever so slight headache that comes and goes, but no biggie. One hb egg for pre-WO before I go. Got two baggies with a bit of chicken breast and few bites of sweet potato to take with me and eat after class on my way home. Teaching Zumba tonight too!

Hope everyone has a good day!!

Talk to me about roasted sweet potato buns.  How do you make them?

I got the fattest potato I could find then sliced it width wise about 1/2-1". I rubbed them with a little oil and roasted them at 425 for about 20 min, flipping half way through. If you let them cool slightly you can hold into them better- they stay together better. I thought they were really good.

Add in some chopped bacon,or apple (some cashews even) and spices & fat of your choosing..... & yum, yum, yum!

Brussels sprouts, shallots, garlic (cloves), olive oil, and salt & pepper is an awesome combo!

It's Day 6 for me and I'm starting to feel a little better. I still have a bit of brain fog, but not as bad as yesterday. I am actually pretty tired, but usually that fatigue is gone for me by day 7 or 8; I'm looking forward to that. The big victory for today is that I actually woke up wanting breakfast. Today was the first day that I didn't have to absolutely force myself to eat in the morning. Hopefully this means my hunger/satiety mechanisms are getting into the groove.

It's Day 6 for me and I'm starting to feel a little better. I still have a bit of brain fog, but not as bad as yesterday. I am actually pretty tired, but usually that fatigue is gone for me by day 7 or 8; I'm looking forward to that. The big victory for today is that I actually woke up wanting breakfast. Today was the first day that I didn't have to absolutely force myself to eat in the morning. Hopefully this means my hunger/satiety mechanisms are getting into the groove.

The timing of eating M1 is also a big challenge for me.  I, too, woke up this morning and was starving and actually ate within the first hour for the first time since I started this W30.  It helped that I had some soup in the freezer (pre-W30 but it happened to be compliant)  that was a quick grab.  Then that made me remember that during my first W30 last July I made soup quite a bit and it really was a lifesaver and I enjoyed it for breakfast, so that's one of the things I'll be doing this weekend.  

Greetings!!

Two weeks in & all is well!! I have been too busy to really notice being cranky or spacey!! Physically I feel great!! 

All cravings are gone. Just gone. I have no problem avoiding all snacking....& no problem avoiding late night snacks, which used to be my norm. Never in my entire life have I NOT snacked or attacked a crap food late at night. This is a wonderful change!!!

Cheers to ALL.....Hang in there everybody!! Soooo worth it!!! 

Stellala - I too was a late night snacker. Eating from the time i finished dinner until i went to bed. Isn't it nice to be free of that?!  Wonderful change indeed!

Bojibelle, how about green beans. They roast pretty well.

Just to fill you in...saw the Dr again yesterday afternoon and my eyes are looking a lot better. I'm to stick to whole30 (stricter than their elimination diet...they just want me to eliminate gluten but are ok with my way) for 3 weeks before testing gluten. I am scared of what effect that may have!! I don't want to feel like this again for another week in the middle of the school hols ;(

Britishgal - hope you feel better soon and never ever have a recurrence of this! Sounds awful!

Up at 4:30 am to go and teach a weight training class at 5:45. Wasn't sure when I restarted Tuesday how I would be feeling today. Was worried about having the energy for my class. I'm feeling pretty good! Ever so slight headache that comes and goes, but no biggie. One hb egg for pre-WO before I go. Got two baggies with a bit of chicken breast and few bites of sweet potato to take with me and eat after class on my way home. Teaching Zumba tonight too!

Hope everyone has a good day!!

Fmr_sailor - you go girl!  Woo hoo!!

As for me, i'm feeling wonderful on this, my day 10. Get through today and i'm 1/3rd of the way done already. This round is going much faster than my last round, and is much easier for me to stick with mentally.  Yesterday after workout (30 minutes of light cardio, bit of weights/abs) I ate my Meal 2 of leftover pork and chicken, coleslaw, raw spinach and decided after that I was too full for the yam I brough with me. I should have had some of it afterall - I was a bit munchy and cravy the rest of the afternoon. I guess my body was looking for some carbs post-workout.  I managed to not snack, b/c afterall I was NOT hungry and it all worked out, but lesson learned.

I took today off work so I could have another 3 day weekend. Need to do a bunch of shopping, prepping and cooking as the fridge is bare! MUST.NOT.RUN.OUT.OF.WHOLE30.FOOD!  Have a great day and weekend everyone! you've earned it!

I am experiencing the "kill everything" but I figured it was just crabby, it's soooo not! It is pure rage! I feel like the Hulk. everytime I think I have a grip something tiny sets me off again. I need some pointers on how to deal with this before my dogs or husband end up in a hole in the backyard. And why???

I am experiencing the "kill everything" but I figured it was just crabby, it's soooo not! It is pure rage! I feel like the Hulk. everytime I think I have a grip something tiny sets me off again. I need some pointers on how to deal with this before my dogs or husband end up in a hole in the backyard. And why???

Only things that seemed to work for me is (1) hiding out when possible (2) nice herbal calming tea like chamomile (3) deep breathing exercises (4) fresh air (5) apologizing as soon as the rage abates.  Hang in there. I usually passes fairly quickly.

• Administrators

Yipes!  You might consider posting a couple days worth of food intake including portions and timing so that we can see if there are any tweaks to avoid you hulking down on your family.  :)

As for why, your body is right in the midst of a change over from sugar burner to fat adapted.  So that's a pretty big change for your body.  Also, if you were used to using food in order to regulate your mood or numb the crabby, since you aren't doing that anymore you're probably going to be feeling the full pull of those emotions.

Post your food so we can take a look.  Sometimes it's as simple as adding a serving or two of starchy veggie each day or even the fact that you may not be eating enough overall.  

OK food, yesterday M1: skillet w/ sausage(recipe from the W30 cookbook), 1 white potato, half a sweet potato, onion, peppers, 2 eggs on top, fried w/ghee one grapefruit. M2 salmon cakes (in the book) on a bed of greens w/ balsamic vinaigrette (book) one tomato sliced w/olive oil and basil. M3 lettuce wrap( huge), with roast beef ( homemade) onion, mayo (book) tomato, olives, pickle. today M1 left over salmon cake topped w/ 2 fried eggs, fruit salad containing 1 1/2 kiwi, 1/2 banana, half a grapefruit juice. I make sure to include a potato or sweet potato everyday. and I've been only drinking infused water I make myself or an occasional cup of coffee w/coconut milk. EVERYTHING we eat is either a recipe from the book followed to the letter or what we make ourselves compliant to the program. Timing: 6-7am, noon, 6-8pm. I eat till I'm full, I don't wanna eat more just cause it's there cause one of the issues I'm trying to fix is overeating. U may have something with the mood regulator thing and the numbing, any advice on that?

• Administrators

OK food, yesterday M1: skillet w/ sausage(recipe from the W30 cookbook), 1 white potato, half a sweet potato, onion, peppers, 2 eggs on top, fried w/ghee one grapefruit. M2 salmon cakes (in the book) on a bed of greens w/ balsamic vinaigrette (book) one tomato sliced w/olive oil and basil. M3 lettuce wrap( huge), with roast beef ( homemade) onion, mayo (book) tomato, olives, pickle. today M1 left over salmon cake topped w/ 2 fried eggs, fruit salad containing 1 1/2 kiwi, 1/2 banana, half a grapefruit juice. I make sure to include a potato or sweet potato everyday. and I've been only drinking infused water I make myself or an occasional cup of coffee w/coconut milk. EVERYTHING we eat is either a recipe from the book followed to the letter or what we make ourselves compliant to the program. Timing: 6-7am, noon, 6-8pm. I eat till I'm full, I don't wanna eat more just cause it's there cause one of the issues I'm trying to fix is overeating. U may have something with the mood regulator thing and the numbing, any advice on that?

Your food looks good.  The only thing I could really suggest is to make sure you get enough protein and fat.  Ie, two eggs and two salmon cakes instead of one cake.  Your breakfast is missing veggies.  Fruit should never push veggies off your plate.  Lots of members report that eating fruit in the am leads to cravings and false hunger later in the day which could contribute to your situation.  Drop it all together or move it to your later meals.  Also I see you noted "1/2 grapefruit juice" but then said you're only drinking infused water or coffee w/ coconut milk.  Assume that's a typo? If not, cut the juice, that's a sugar bomb to your body and isn't actually approved (juice for making sauces or dressings only, no drinking)

As far as food as mood regulator and feeling your feelings.  Well...............ummm..............you kind of just have to feel them and work through it.  Go outside and close the front door and breath until you feel yourself physically calming down.  Create a "me hour" and defend the stuffing out of it so that at least you know you get some alone/down time each day.  Remind yourself that this is your body coming off of chemicals and processed foods and be angry at the processed food industry, not your puppy.  :)  Keep us posted!

I just got back from the gym where I got in a solid 30 minutes of cardio and some weights, and I feel amazing!   Just wanted to share :D

Glad you've found a solution while your ankle heals!

Day 26 for me (but will be continuing on with this crew as well...) I feel like the time has flown by and I'm just getting in the swing of things. i don't want it to stop!

I'll be home all weekend which is NICE and will work on Whole30 and some DIY projects. Very much looking forward to it :)

Archived