Starting July 1st

misti

@ShannonM816

Well I finished KB training around 11:30 and ate a meat patty, roasted veggies and a small sweet potato with ghee at about 12:15 which was my lunch. Do you think I should have the small amount of protein and fat right after my workout then have lunch as planned?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you believe we're almost half-way through?  I have to say, this Whole 30 is going by much faster for me than the 1st one did.  I'm so glad I committed to a second round.  Anyway, eyes on the prize people! The second half is so much easier than the first. We just need to get through the Day 12-15 phase, which, I quote: 

"This is the part of the program where our minds try to drive us back to the comfort of the foods we used to know. Our food relationships are deeply rooted and strongly reinforced throughout the course of our lives and breaking through them is really big deal. Journaling can be especially enlightening and helpful during this phase, and helpful for reflection later. Take some time to jot down what you’re craving, how you’re feeling and what tools you’re using to work through the cravings. - See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/#sthash.tzW5YUN7.dpuf

For those of you feeling you're missing out, that making the choice to commit to this for 30 days is making you feel socially ostracized, I think this may in part be what's in play. That part of your brain that wants all those trigger foods is starting to really throw a temper tantrum.  Your subconscious is trying to trick you. The people you are with really don't care what you eat or what you drink, they just care that you're there, being there with them. they want you healthy and happy.  Remind yourself of that often. [steps off soapbox]

Not a lot going on for me this week. My boss is away in London so with a 8hr time difference my afternoon's are sort of my own. I'm surfing for recipes and getting caught up on personal things.

My friends and I have a trip planned to Sonoma/Napa mid-August and I'm researching places to eat that (1) won't break the bank and (2) have healthy choices. One of the girls is a fast food junky but I think she know we won't let her eat that crap while she's with us.  I will be through the re-introductions and riding my own bike by then so need not be 100% compliant. I did learn last time that some foods are okay, some are okay but only in moderation, and that I do not do well on gluten at all.  I hope to learn even more this time around. 

...there will be drinking though. The main purpose of the trip is for a half marathon we all signed up for. I (obviously) won't be running, but if my foot has come along well enough I may attempt walking it - if not, I'll just cheer. The second main reason is for a release part at one of the wineries I'm a member at. Unlimited wine and food there. Of course its the first full day of our trip and the day before the race so I can't get carried away. I'm going to bring a cooler with my own food, just in case. And try not to drink ALL.THE.WINE.  The other 2 days will be spent tasting at the other wineries we're members at. I figure I'll need to come home and do at least another whole 14 afterward to recuperate! :rolleyes:

Hopefully everyone else out there (all 200+ of you) who started with us on July 1st are doing well, even though we don't hear from you. I personally would love it if you chimed in at the half-way point and let us all know how you're doing. Cheers!

For me, the thing that is making it hard is the foods that I was not eating are not trigger foods for me- I can pass on ice cream, just dot set a plate of cheese and crackers in front of me :). Yes, nearly half way through. Just needed to remind myself that this is in fact a choice and let's just see what comes after the 30 days!

Day 14 was another travel day. I packed 2 burgers, a cup of mayo to dip into, & some roasted sweet potato 'fries' . This was way more sustaining than the chicken salad lettuce wraps! Now home again and back in my safe bubble.

Day 30!!!

After much thought I have decided to continue on through the end of July. I started the Whole 30 in the hopes of finding some relief for my fibromyalgia pain; in that I have been very successful. I still have some occasional achiness but nothing near what I was experiencing and I am now off of my medication! So in my book, regardless of what tomorrow's weight/measurements/photos show I have completely accomplished what I started out for.

There are a couple of reasons I have decided to press on. First, I want to see how much more my fibromyalgia pain may possibly improve as well as my blood pressure and other health indicators(I have an appointment for physical on July 28th). The other reason I am going to keep going is because while reading through the reintroduction process/information I just can't decide at this time what I would like to start adding back in yet. I just am not missing anything.  

So here's to the journey and where it may lead, it's been great so far!

This was totally me last night. Liverwurst and then macadamia nuts after dinner. I wasn't hungry at all, but had a little mini binge (possibly a stress reaction). Feel much better today - mentally more with it.

I'm glad it's not just me!

@ShannonM816

Well I finished KB training around 11:30 and ate a meat patty, roasted veggies and a small sweet potato with ghee at about 12:15 which was my lunch. Do you think I should have the small amount of protein and fat right after my workout then have lunch as planned?

Hi, rdallas!

Post workout should be a lean protein and a starchy veggie. No fat, though. Out of personal experience, I would have had the lean protein and starchy veggie immediately after the workout and then I would have had Meal 2 about an hour after that. Does this sound about right, ShannonM?

Woke up this morning not feeling so hot. I'm definitely not experiencing 'tiger blood' and feeling just as fat and low energy as when I began. I immediately went into diet mode- thinking about what I am going to cut out, how to shrink my portion sizes, etc. I couldn't bring myself to have a starchy vegetable (aka potato) with breakfast. I had three eggs with 1/4 avocado and half of a tomato. Tired of feeling gross.

Hey all...

Well yesterday I typed a wonderful, eloquent and touching (trust me) post and while proof-reading, I somehow hit the "back" button on my computer and lost it all.  Being at work, I did not feel I could take the time to re-type and re-enter the mind gems (not).

It is the 15th.  Got to love it.  Yesterday was a tough day due to aches and pains.  I am pushing myself pretty hard with workouts and biking to work... I was achy in the legs and on Sunday, I hurt/tweaked my back a bit doing my heavy lifts (snatch, Clean & Jerk, Overhead Squats).  I am trying my best to ignore it but yesterday it was tough to get through the day at work in my desk chair.  Energy levels and mood remain high despite my aches.

I ate on plan (veggie issues with Breakfast) and ended up booking a back massage appointment for the end of the day today.

This AM was a lighter workout (push jerks - 15-12-9) and a bike to work.  The wind here really picked up and it was in my face the whole way to work.  One of the worst bike rides (but good leg workouts) in a long time.

Breakfast is in the books and I have lunch (big salad (cabbage, kale, walnuts) with compliant sausage and a small apple) here beside me in my soft-side cooler at work.  I keep EVOO and balsamic here at my desk to make salad dressing for my lunches.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

DJ

Woke up this morning not feeling so hot. I'm definitely not experiencing 'tiger blood' and feeling just as fat and low energy as when I began. I immediately went into diet mode- thinking about what I am going to cut out, how to shrink my portion sizes, etc. I couldn't bring myself to have a starchy vegetable (aka potato) with breakfast. I had three eggs with 1/4 avocado and half of a tomato. Tired of feeling gross.

I know the feeling Stinabomb. Hoping to turn the corner soon!

Maybe you should post your last few days of food over in the troubleshooting section and have one of the moderators take a look? I know you were traveling and the stress of that may be part of it, or maybe you're even coming down with something. Sorry you're not feeling well. 

I ate an embarrassingly huge dinner last night, in hopes of shutting off whatever was making me want to snack after dinner. 3 chicken legs, at least 2.5 cups of roasted veggies and 1.5 - 2 cups of roasted potato, plus 2 thumbs of mayo for fat. I'm happy to say it worked. No snacking last night and I slept like a rock! I'm pretty sure my body was sending me signals to up my food since I'm starting into my cycle any day now. Need to make myself more aware of these cues going forward.  I also need to use those macadamia nuts in a recipe or put them in the freezer because they are FWOB for me (all nuts are).

Crazy day today between work, vet appointments, and taking a friend to the airport, but I feel I have energy to spare. :D Must be from all the potatoes last night...

• Moderators

@ShannonM816

Hi, rdallas!

Post workout should be a lean protein and a starchy veggie. No fat, though. Out of personal experience, I would have had the lean protein and starchy veggie immediately after the workout and then I would have had Meal 2 about an hour after that. Does this sound about right, ShannonM?

What init2winit said is right -- within 15-20 minutes after a workout, have lean protein and starchy vegetables, no fat (doesn't have to be a huge amount, try just a few bites of each). Then, later, have your full meal 2.

When you workout, you get bonus food. Specifically, with the post-workout, you're trying to get quickly digested protein and carbs (in the form of starchy vegetables) to your muscles within a specific window of time when they're most receptive to rebuilding/healing themselves from your workout.

Oddly I'm finding the fact I absolutely cannot take any gluten now really liberating! Before last week I was choosing not to eat grains, I was choosing to do a whole30...but now it's different

Last week I'd have secretly still wanted to eat two of my son's toffee cornettos out of the freezer and claim there were only ever 2 in the box (oh yes!) but now I know I can't I simply don't want to.

Liberating actually!

Still hanging in there  :) . I felt better at the beginning, though. I've had stomach issues the last two days (too much cauliflower, I think) and a headache today. (sigh). I hope it's just a sign that my body is detoxing from sugar and dairy. 

Still hanging in there  :) . I felt better at the beginning, though. I've had stomach issues the last two days (too much cauliflower, I think) and a headache today. (sigh). I hope it's just a sign that my body is detoxing from sugar and dairy.

[/quot

I too feel like I'm just hanging in there. I found that cabbage did not agree with me, which I love sautéed with eggs in the morning.

@shannonm816, init2winit

Oh Yeah, I meant protein & carbs. Thank you both for your input it is very much appreciated. I did have a hardboiled egg and half sweet potato today right after training and it made a huge difference! Thanks!

I saw another post from one of the moderators (I think) that said she trusted herself and her body's signals enough to know how much to eat for her activity level (not in those exact words). I cannot wait until I get to that point. I feel great, but sometimes I wonder if I'm eating too much. I can certainly tell when I'm not eating enough.

I have been doing pretty well on Whole30. I had a co-worker tell me my complexion has gotten better (not that it was that bad before) but she said it was clearer/glowier! She may even try the Whole30 cause she has small ezcema or some skind condition. 

I do have a question... I know we are not supposed to snack, but between my meals 2 and 3 is roughly 7-8 hours before i eat again (from lunch break till my husband gets home for dinner and i make dinner). I have been having something simple like carrots and grapes for a snack (sometimes i replace the carrots with hard boild egg) and it holds me from meal 2 to 3, which by meal 3 i am hungry. In this instance, is it ok to have a small snack since it is so many hours from meal 2 to 3?

@shannonm816, init2winit

Oh Yeah, I meant protein & carbs. Thank you both for your input it is very much appreciated. I did have a hardboiled egg and half sweet potato today right after training and it made a huge difference! Thanks!

Happy to share some of what I learned! Note - You'll want to leave out the yolk b/c it's considered a fat.  ;)

I do have a question... I know we are not supposed to snack, but between my meals 2 and 3 is roughly 7-8 hours before i eat again (from lunch break till my husband gets home for dinner and i make dinner). I have been having something simple like carrots and grapes for a snack (sometimes i replace the carrots with hard boild egg) and it holds me from meal 2 to 3, which by meal 3 i am hungry. In this instance, is it ok to have a small snack since it is so many hours from meal 2 to 3?

Yes. Ideally, standard meals should satiate you for 4-5 hours. If there are times when you have a longer span and you're hungry (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini meal of protein, veg and fat. A hard boiled egg and carrots is a good option here. Save any fruit to have with your main meals only.

I have been busy but have been keeping up with the posts.  Here are my pearls of wisdom this past week.

1. Able to stay on plan even with eating out.  At the event last night, they were very accommodating.  Yay!

2. For the first time in 3 W30s, I actually ate a post-workout meal.  I went for a bike ride shortly after breakfast so didn't do pre-workout but knew I wouldn't be home right after the ride so took some roast chicken and sweet potato and ate it as prescribed.  Then went to the farmer's market for a bunch of fresh veggies.  When I got home for lunch I was not ransacking the kitchen looking for food.  I added some carb to the lunch too.  Later in the afternoon I went swimming for about 20 minutes and I was just fine since I ate dinner right after swimming.  I am learning.

3. My waist feels thicker so it is clear I am not losing weight. Pants don't fit looser either.  Not sure what that is about since I am eating the template including fat and exercising moderately.  Frankly I think it has to do with the stress at work.  I am searching for a new opportunity and I am ready to go but can't leave until I have that next position in line.  Not discouraged with the W30 - just work.

4. No Migraines this month!  Sleeping well. I have tiger blood with great energy.  Life is good!

@Bojibelle, I am stalled a bit too on weight loss this round. It doesn't seem to be coming off like it did last round. Not seeing any noticible difference in how my clothes fit, and if anything they're even a bit tighter on my butt and thighs. I think mine is mostly hormonal though (period is almost a week late) so hopefully things will change soon.

I otherwise feel really good. I wouldn't say Tiger Blood, but at least kitten blood :) . Woke up super early this morning and feel rested, ready to take on the day. For the second half, my focus is going to be getting some of my fitness back (lost a lot of it sitting around for a month with this broken foot). I'll also continue to work on recognizing satiety cues and experimenting with new foods. Thinking about making some chicken livers this week - eek! Just for something different.

Happy Second Half everyone!

Well made the halfway point, I felt great yesterday till evening. I woke up a 4am the night befor and couldn't get back to sleep so probly just tired. Waiting for the "normal" sleep gods to bless me. Have been struggeling with appitite, not wanting to eat at all or am starving. I'm sticking to the food template and eating 3 meals a day, big when I'm hungry and forcing myself when I'm not. I am dragging this morn and fighting with myself to eat but haven't won yet. I am looking for the dragon's blood, that is a major incentive for me to keep going and be strict. I went to a Starbucks yesterday and thought I ordered a Iced unsweetened Chai tea, when I got it, it was a iced chai latte!! I wanted to drink it so bad! They must have thought I was crazy but I turned around a practically ran away leaving the tea on the counter. I knew there was no way I could stand there and order again without caving and getting something sweet and creamy so I ran away! It was a great and terrible experience, I now know I am starting to run on W30 autopilot (the great) and I need to stay away from Starbucks (maybe not terrible but sad). I am enjoying reading all the posts and information, btw, the daily 30 e-mails are awesome! I was having some buyers remorse after I purchased them BUT they are TOTALLY worth it. It's like reading the whole book everyday to keep on track and always a smile or giggle at the end. Have a great day everyone and WHOLE30 on!!

Random tip - if you're ever caught out and need to go buy yourself a meal (at least here Chipotle is still not selling carnitas due to supplier issues), I've found compliant food twice on the whole foods hot bar.  (I go there figuring if nothing else I can get a salad and HB eggs).  They list all the ingredients in everything on the bar, so it's easy to tell if it's okay or not.  The first time I had chicken legs, mashed cauliflower (w/coconut milk), and grilled summer veggies, and last night I had steak with onions and mushrooms, the mashed cauliflower again, and kale with walnuts and sugar-free bacon.  Not the cheapest meal in the world (about 10-12 dollars for what I got) but at least I was sure it was on plan!

Hey all...

Well this week I have had a bit of a nagging sore back due to poor form on Sunday when I was doing my weight training (Clean & Jerk - one rep max).  I tweaked something in my lower left back area.  I stuck with it for Monday and Tuesday but Tuesday afternoon I said I needed to do something. I called my Athletic Training (not personal training) centre (luckily located across the street from my work) and set up a massage appointment for Wednesday (Yesterday) after work.  It was with a new therapist who specializes in "Deep Tissue Massage".  Well I have never had something hurt so bad and feel so good at the same time. 

The massage focused on my lower back, glutes, hamstrings and calves.  I am sore in places (good sore) that I did not know existed.  I am scheduled to go back next week for a follow up.  Last night was all about relief from my aching back but today is all about my sore butt (sorry if TMI) but I have some 'deep tissue' issues today.  It was exactly what I needed and the outcome was better than I could have expected but I will likely be sore for a day or two.

I am sitting down for my lunch (pork chop, big salad with walnuts and an apple) and catching up on the forum. 

This morning was 2 x 400M sprints, an Olympic lifting training session and a bike ride into work.  I am pushing myself pretty hard (for a guy who was 270 Lbs on July 1st), but the outcome will be worth it.  I am loving the energy level I am maintaining.  Don't get me wrong, I am moving slowly because of all the leg work but I seem to have a good amount of energy and no brain fog issues right now.  I don't think I am full-blown tiger blood yet but I am very satisfied.  It is amazing to me how quickly my obsession with food and food thoughts fall away when on the W30 Plan.  Having this level of control or rather lack of food addiction is worth the price of admission for the program (introductory headaches, fog, short-temper).  Last night I cleaned up the kitchen with partially drunk Pepsi bottles, cake plates, Nutella containers and chips all around me but they change from objects of my affection to just things when on plan.  I have done this off and on now (this is my 7th W30) but I always am amazed at the sense of control and calm that W30 brings to my life.

It is quite amazing the contrast between this utopian (almost) feeling and the one that always rears its ugly head when (many times in my past and likely sometime in the future) I will be elbow deep a bag of Oreo Cookies or Wine Gum Candies driven to gluttony!  When I talk to others about the program... they often focus on the "can't have what" statements but they often quickly dismiss the "it changed my life" comments but it truly has changed my life.  I know I am almost like a bipolar foodie but W30 is part of my needed treatment.  A lot of my success and positive lessons learned has come from this program.  I know from experience that some in the group will find this time (Weeks 3 and 4) challenging because the "new' label has worn off, you are tired of cooking and dishes or exhausted saying "I choose not to eat that right now".  I encourage you to make every effort to stay on plan.  I plan on continuing the program beyond July 31st (thorough August) I hope you all find a way to keep at least your 30 day commitment to yourself.

OK... Enough banter from me (thanks for listening).  Keep planning ahead, making good choices and living each day well!

Cheers

DJ

@JenX - I made chicken liver pate this week and have eaten it with veggies and plantain crackers. Yum. I used the recipe from Practical Paleo and used balsamic vinegar instead of wine and compliant bacon fat and ghee. It is really good although next time I will use apple cider vinegar because the balsamic is too sweet. Good nutrients from this and very filling.

Archived