Starting July 1st

misti

You don't have to miss out on going out with your family. You can absolutely go into an ice cream parlor and hang out with the family and talk and laugh and not eat a bite of ice cream. It's totally possible. If your family cares about your health, they'll be supportive, even if they think you're a little weird. If you feel you must order something (and in a group, you really don't have to) you could get a bottle of water. I know it's not ice cream, but you're not there for the ice cream, you're there to spend time with your family.

If this really, really bothers you, plan something with your family that you are comfortable doing. Plan a picnic or barbecue where you make most of the food so you know there's stuff you can eat. Go somewhere as a group -- the zoo, a fair or carnival, botanical gardens, water park -- and pack your own food, either just for you to eat while they grab whatever's available there, or enough for everyone.

I did go along and I had a great time hanging with my family & watching the kids run around a gigantic cow. It still felt awkward to not be eating the ice cream when, for me, ice cream is no big deal. My family is supportive and they've let me do a lot of the cooking on this vacation. There would have been no way for me to do a Whole 30 in the summer and avoided this little vacation. Just feeling some bumps in the road this week being away from home.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find whole30 socially isolating too...it's the one thing that bothers me about the very likely outcome with the gluten issues.

I'm going to a bbq on Friday night with close friends and my son. I know I'll have to skip the burgers and just get stuff for my son as I can't guarantee the food will be either whole30 nor gluten free and it will set me apart in a way that makes me sad. Yes I can go and not eat the burgers but by doing so I cannot participate properly in the evening and potentially I may be faced with that fact for a long time yet ;(

• Administrators

Here's another idea for the canned coconut.. compliments of : Don & Mel, CFBA! and Leigh

If you are missing Cold cereal.............

one-half apple cored and roughly diced

handful of sliced almonds

handful of pitted, chopped dates

handful of unsweetened coconut 

generous dose of cinnamon; 1 pinch of salt

Pulse in the food processor to desired consistency–smaller is better for the little ones!  Serve with almond milk, or creamy coconut milk.  

This is absolutely not compliant, it is attempting to recreate cereal/granola with compliant ingredients and would be considered SWYPO. Additionally, if you ate this as a meal, you would be missing vegetables and protein. Please don't do this.

I find whole30 socially isolating too...it's the one thing that bothers me about the very likely outcome with the gluten issues.

I'm going to a bbq on Friday night with close friends and my son. I know I'll have to skip the burgers and just get stuff for my son as I can't guarantee the food will be either whole30 nor gluten free and it will set me apart in a way that makes me sad. Yes I can go and not eat the burgers but by doing so I cannot participate properly in the evening and potentially I may be faced with that fact for a long time yet ;(

Couldn't you just bring your own compliant food with you to eat?  You know, bring a burger and some fresh veggies, fresh fruit, etc. If you don't make a big deal about the fact your brought your own stuff, no one else will even notice. If they DID, just say you that you need to eat gluten free. (Or whatever.) Keep the reason simple and people will accept it.

One of my co-workers has Celiac disease and absolutely cannot have any gluten (not even a trace). She just brings her own food with her to cookouts and socializes as usual. We have potlucks at work and most of us will make gluten free foods. (Heck, I even bring in the labels (or photos of the labels) for everything I've used, in addition to checking online.)

I would if it was a friends house but it's an organised scouts do and a lot of burgers here contain gluten (often, surprisingly the more expensive ones!)

I'm not taking any chances after last week ;)

I just witnessed a mum at school (not my favourite person after the weekend) waxing lyrical about this new cleansing diet. She was going on and on about coconut oil and no red meat and only "good" fats and buckwheat noodles and raw food "brownies" and how wonderful it was and I just rolled my eyes and walked away. She told everyone she wasn't to eat rice as it contained gluten. I've been eating whole30 on and off for a year and she has always been totally disinterested...now she thinks she has found the never before seen nirvana!

Sometimes it isn't worth even going there...

Can you believe we're almost half-way through?  I have to say, this Whole 30 is going by much faster for me than the 1st one did.  I'm so glad I committed to a second round.  Anyway, eyes on the prize people! The second half is so much easier than the first. We just need to get through the Day 12-15 phase, which, I quote: 

"This is the part of the program where our minds try to drive us back to the comfort of the foods we used to know. Our food relationships are deeply rooted and strongly reinforced throughout the course of our lives and breaking through them is really big deal. Journaling can be especially enlightening and helpful during this phase, and helpful for reflection later. Take some time to jot down what you’re craving, how you’re feeling and what tools you’re using to work through the cravings. - See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/#sthash.tzW5YUN7.dpuf

For those of you feeling you're missing out, that making the choice to commit to this for 30 days is making you feel socially ostracized, I think this may in part be what's in play. That part of your brain that wants all those trigger foods is starting to really throw a temper tantrum.  Your subconscious is trying to trick you. The people you are with really don't care what you eat or what you drink, they just care that you're there, being there with them. they want you healthy and happy.  Remind yourself of that often. [steps off soapbox]

Not a lot going on for me this week. My boss is away in London so with a 8hr time difference my afternoon's are sort of my own. I'm surfing for recipes and getting caught up on personal things.

My friends and I have a trip planned to Sonoma/Napa mid-August and I'm researching places to eat that (1) won't break the bank and (2) have healthy choices. One of the girls is a fast food junky but I think she know we won't let her eat that crap while she's with us.  I will be through the re-introductions and riding my own bike by then so need not be 100% compliant. I did learn last time that some foods are okay, some are okay but only in moderation, and that I do not do well on gluten at all.  I hope to learn even more this time around. 

...there will be drinking though. The main purpose of the trip is for a half marathon we all signed up for. I (obviously) won't be running, but if my foot has come along well enough I may attempt walking it - if not, I'll just cheer. The second main reason is for a release part at one of the wineries I'm a member at. Unlimited wine and food there. Of course its the first full day of our trip and the day before the race so I can't get carried away. I'm going to bring a cooler with my own food, just in case. And try not to drink ALL.THE.WINE.  The other 2 days will be spent tasting at the other wineries we're members at. I figure I'll need to come home and do at least another whole 14 afterward to recuperate! :rolleyes:

Hopefully everyone else out there (all 200+ of you) who started with us on July 1st are doing well, even though we don't hear from you. I personally would love it if you chimed in at the half-way point and let us all know how you're doing. Cheers! 

For whoever was thinking of some kind of chicken curry with their coconut milk, this is one of my favorite recipes and my husband and I eat it frequently even when I'm not whole 30-ing.  We use twice the shrimp so we get more meals out of it as I think it's too saucy with just 1 lb. of shrimp.  I'm sure it would work with chicken too, and you could add more vegetables as well if you wanted.

http://www.tiffanyleegaston.com/paleo-thai-coconut-curry-shrimp-on-cauliflower-rice/

It's my Day 30 of my first ever Whole30, but I'll be continuing on with y'all through the 30th as well! 

I am going to weigh and measure tomorrow because I want to see my results after 30 days, and then I'll put the scale away until July 31st when I'll see what an additional 15 days brings me.

This weekend will be semi difficult as I'm going out of town again, but I know I can make it work - just have to plan and prepare accordingly. I'm having a couple of girls I mentor over for dinner tonight and we'll have mini meatloaves, cauliflower puree and coconut collard greens. One of them came over during my first week of Whole30, and she's excited to be here on Day 30 as well...

I've been wondering what to do with the can of coconut milk I bought....

Hi! :) There's a super easy and delish recipe for creamed spinach in the Whole30 cookbook that uses coconut milk. It's one of my faves. I think there are also recipes found by Googling "coconut creamed spinach."

Everything is going pretty well in my world...except I'm really starting to get cravings now. I had some the first week, but they weren't too intense (surprising since my sugar dragon is relentless)! I was doing so well with 3 meals/day and no snacking in between even through being sick for the first 2 weeks. I started back at the gym yesterday, (30 minute kettle bell training) it wasn't even anything real intense, but between lunch and dinner I wanted to eat EVERYTHING! I wanted fruit real bad! And I ate it too. I felt sluggish today and I'm guessing it's because of all the fruit I ate. Before W30 when I'd eat a lot of sugar one day, the next day my energy would be nonexistent.

Today I ate lunch and ignored the sugar dragon, but at 4pm I ate 3 chicken fritters (Julie Bauer-paleo kitchen). My stomach didn't have that hungry, empty feeling, but I felt like I needed to eat something. I hope I can get back on track with my 3 meals/ day.

I'm glad to see everyone else is doing well! Keep going!

Definitely been having cravings these last couple of days and having 'What the hell, I'm giving up!' thoughts. It's funny because this is my fourth W30 and it's the first time I've felt this blah when on it. I gave in and had a 'compliant' binge on some nuts and Nakd bars yesterday. Felt terrible after but also put things in perspective and I feel much better and able to carry on with it mentally today. Every W30 is so different. My boyfriend is doing it for the first time which is great but adds to the need to be organised with meal prep which sometimes gets tiring. Still, as I said, feeling better today and ready to stick it out!

Definitely been having cravings these last couple of days and having 'What the hell, I'm giving up!' thoughts. It's funny because this is my fourth W30 and it's the first time I've felt this blah when on it. I gave in and had a 'compliant' binge on some nuts and Nakd bars yesterday. Felt terrible after but also put things in perspective and I feel much better and able to carry on with it mentally today. Every W30 is so different. My boyfriend is doing it for the first time which is great but adds to the need to be organised with meal prep which sometimes gets tiring. Still, as I said, feeling better today and ready to stick it out!

This was totally me last night. Liverwurst and then macadamia nuts after dinner. I wasn't hungry at all, but had a little mini binge (possibly a stress reaction). Feel much better today - mentally more with it.

I hope I can get back on track with my 3 meals/ day.

I fell off the three meals a day wagon yesterday, too. A mild interpersonal emergency happened just before dinner and I ended up spending the next several hours comforting a friend. I was hungry when he left, but I was also sleepy and it was late. I decided that eating right before bed would be worse for me than missing a meal, so I just went to sleep. Then, because I was up so late, I had a major sleep in this morning, and ended up missing breakfast.  I should be able to get back on track tomorrow.

• Moderators

Everything is going pretty well in my world...except I'm really starting to get cravings now. I had some the first week, but they weren't too intense (surprising since my sugar dragon is relentless)! I was doing so well with 3 meals/day and no snacking in between even through being sick for the first 2 weeks. I started back at the gym yesterday, (30 minute kettle bell training) it wasn't even anything real intense, but between lunch and dinner I wanted to eat EVERYTHING! I wanted fruit real bad! And I ate it too. I felt sluggish today and I'm guessing it's because of all the fruit I ate. Before W30 when I'd eat a lot of sugar one day, the next day my energy would be nonexistent.

Today I ate lunch and ignored the sugar dragon, but at 4pm I ate 3 chicken fritters (Julie Bauer-paleo kitchen). My stomach didn't have that hungry, empty feeling, but I felt like I needed to eat something. I hope I can get back on track with my 3 meals/ day.

I'm glad to see everyone else is doing well! Keep going!

Did you have a post-WO meal after your workout? Even if you don't think it was intense, it may have been more than you realized. It wouldn't hurt anything if next time you do your workout, you plan for some lean protein and starchy vegetables within about 15 minutes afterward. It doesn't have to be a lot, a few bites of grilled chicken or water-packed tuna or some egg whites and a bit of mashed or baked sweet potato would work. Something low in fat, and not fruit. That may be enough to help with the hunger later.

For anyone having cravings, the best advice is to make sure you're really eating enough protein, fat, and vegetables. If you're coming to this from a background of dieting and restricting, it may seem like a lot of food, but it's okay, really. Eat enough good, healthy food to nourish your body and let it do its thing, and it really will reward you with fewer cravings, more energy, and stable moods.

For those of you feeling you're missing out, that making the choice to commit to this for 30 days is making you feel socially ostracized, I think this may in part be what's in play. That part of your brain that wants all those trigger foods is starting to really throw a temper tantrum. Your subconscious is trying to trick you. The people you are with really don't care what you eat or what you drink, they just care that you're there, being there with them. they want you healthy and happy. Remind yourself of that often. [steps off soapbox]

I do understand what you are saying but for me the reason I feel socially ostracised by whole30 is because I am. Where I live it is simply not socially acceptable to ask in restaurants for recipes to be altered (I learnt that from the horrified reactions of those around me when I tried to do it on my first go) and my upbringing and years of etiquette classes taught me that if someone makes you something to eat in their home it is horribly rude to not eat it. It doesn't matter if you like it. You eat it.

I am European and life really does revolve around food and family...it's just the way life is.

• Administrators

I do understand what you are saying but for me the reason I feel socially ostracised by whole30 is because I am. Where I live it is simply not socially acceptable to ask in restaurants for recipes to be altered (I learnt that from the horrified reactions of those around me when I tried to do it on my first go) and my upbringing and years of etiquette classes taught me that if someone makes you something to eat in their home it is horribly rude to not eat it. It doesn't matter if you like it. You eat it.

Just out of curiosity, is that still the case, even with so much widespread attention on food intolerances etc? 

I am European and life really does revolve around food and family...it's just the way life is.

Oh now I understand where you are coming from

You never refuse Today was a huge test so I chose the least damaging and while every one was eating dessert after dinner I was still sipping water They didn't understand why I was not indulging

Remarks looks questions ignored with a smile

Put it this way, it wouldn't fly in my mother's house!

If I do have a confirmed gluten intolerance, if it will make me as sick as I was last week then I'm hoping that it won't be seen as rude, though I'd have to let people know beforehand.

When I first met my ex mil she gave me a mince pie. I loath cinnamon and candied fruit and mince pies made me gag but I ate it. It just wouldn't have crossed my mind not to.

I'm hoping that as its a big event no one will notice me not eating MeGA! I just can't take my own uncooked food and ask for it to be cooked, I just can't ;) Plus at the moment I don't want to risk any gluten even cross contamination from gluten infested burgers previously cooked on the grill. My son will be eating hotdogs no doubt so I'll try and defect attention shamelessly onto him!

I think for a few weeks I'll be eating at home, at my sister's or close friends house (she seems to be reading everything she can on gluten issues at the moment bless her!) and maybe my mother's (though that is a hard one...the eye rolls last week when I didn't drink any of the champers and stuck to fizzy water!!)

Archived