Starting July 1st

misti

[quote name="

it@Bojibelle, I am stalled a bit too on weight loss this round. It doesn't seem to be coming off like it did last round. Not seeing any noticible difference in how my clothes fit, and if anything they're even a bit tighter on my butt and thighs. I think mine is mostly hormonal though (period is almost a week late) so hopefully things will change soon.

I otherwise feel really good. I wouldn't say Tiger Blood, but at least kitten blood :) . Woke up super early this morning and feel rested, ready to take on the day. For the second half, my focus is going to be getting some of my fitness back (lost a lot of it sitting around for a month with this broken foot). I'll also continue to work on recognizing satiety cues and experimenting with new foods. Thinking about making some chicken livers this week - eek! Just for something different.

Happy Second Half everyone!

@Bojibelle, I am stalled a bit too on weight loss this round. It doesn't seem to be coming off like it did last round. Not seeing any noticible difference in how my clothes fit, and if anything they're even a bit tighter on my butt and thighs. I think mine is mostly hormonal though (period is almost a week late) so hopefully things will change soon.

I otherwise feel really good. I wouldn't say Tiger Blood, but at least kitten blood :) . Woke up super early this morning and feel rested, ready to take on the day. For the second half, my focus is going to be getting some of my fitness back (lost a lot of it sitting around for a month with this broken foot). I'll also continue to work on recognizing satiety cues and experimenting with new foods. Thinking about making some chicken livers this week - eek! Just for something different.

Happy Second Half everyone![/quot

I do have diagnosed SIBO and wondering if I am eating too many plantains and sweet potatoes. I am going to focus on butternut squash instead for the next 2 weeks

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Bojibelle, I am stalled a bit too on weight loss this round. It doesn't seem to be coming off like it did last round. Not seeing any noticible difference in how my clothes fit, and if anything they're even a bit tighter on my butt and thighs. I think mine is mostly hormonal though (period is almost a week late) so hopefully things will change soon.

Happy Second Half everyone!

How do you make your chicken livers?

I usually make them farm fresh in cl butter and rendered chicken fat with onion and hard boiled eggs mmm I do love them cooked properly

@JenX - I made chicken liver pate this week and have eaten it with veggies and plantain crackers. Yum. I used the recipe from Practical Paleo and used balsamic vinegar instead of wine and compliant bacon fat and ghee. It is really good although next time I will use apple cider vinegar because the balsamic is too sweet. Good nutrients from this and very filling.

Oh! that sounds good too!  I'll take a look. Thanks!

Woke up this morning not feeling so hot. I'm definitely not experiencing 'tiger blood' and feeling just as fat and low energy as when I began. I immediately went into diet mode- thinking about what I am going to cut out, how to shrink my portion sizes, etc. I couldn't bring myself to have a starchy vegetable (aka potato) with breakfast. I had three eggs with 1/4 avocado and half of a tomato. Tired of feeling gross.

StinaBomb - are you feeling any better?

Hi All,

I'm so sorry I haven't been posting......I've actually had to throw in the W30 towel sadly. :0(

I can't even remember if I mentioned it earlier but I'm currently in a SUPER stressful period of work, moving an office of 130 staff and we only have 2 weeks to go.

I've had to realise that July just wasn't the right month for me to be taking on so many challenges!

My diet has had to take a back seat (I just don't have the time or mental ability this month to menu plan, shop & cook compliantly)...

My family is also taking a back seat - fending for themselves whilst I work longer hours & basically ignore them to continue working through the weekend...

Our move date is 2 weeks away and EVERYTHING is on hold in my life until I deliver this project!

Anyway, enough moaning . I'm just sad I haven't been able to keep up with how everyone has been going (I've been off the grid for nearly 2 weeks)..... I'm also sad I haven't been able to support my work mates through this (they've also fallen off the W30 wagon)!

So glad to check in and see that you're all going well - KEEP IT UP!!!

I'll promise pick up again later in the year and I hope to find you all again on another W30 journey!

Shout out to Marcella who I was in touch with up to day 5! Xx

Leanne.

Hey July 1st-ers! I fell off again the day after my 10 mile run. I seem to get derailed after a hard workout or race. And the next morning I got on the scale and saw that I'd gained 2.4 pounds, which discouraged me further. I really want to make it through the Whole30, but weight gain is something I def can't have. Those of you with experience, have you heard that gains in the beginning are common with a loss at the end of the 30 days?? I'm assuming that may be part of the reason you're not supposed to weigh during the program....? Anyhow, still reading and keeping up with y'all!

Those of you with experience, have you heard that gains in the beginning are common with a loss at the end of the 30 days?? I'm assuming that may be part of the reason you're not supposed to weigh during the program....? Anyhow, still reading and keeping up with y'all!

Haven't heard anything about gains being common at the beginning with a loss at the end (again because no weighing is a rule, we wouldn't have a lot of this data).

So many things can contribute to the scale waivering during a Whole30 - gaining muscle mass, bloat, undigested food, that time of the month for women are just a few thoughts. In any case, the scale does not measure health, which is what the Whole30 wants you to focus on.  Further, weight loss is typically not linear.

You might have gained muscle.  Take a look at this article for inspiration and why the scale does.not.matter. 

• Moderators

Hey July 1st-ers! I fell off again the day after my 10 mile run. I seem to get derailed after a hard workout or race. And the next morning I got on the scale and saw that I'd gained 2.4 pounds, which discouraged me further. I really want to make it through the Whole30, but weight gain is something I def can't have. Those of you with experience, have you heard that gains in the beginning are common with a loss at the end of the 30 days?? I'm assuming that may be part of the reason you're not supposed to weight during the program....? Anyhow, still reading and keeping up with y'all!

Not losing weight in the first part of the program is definitely a possibility and that's one reason you shouldn't weigh yourself for 30 days. It's also not unusual for people to gain weight temporarily after a hard workout. You won't find much discussion of that here because no one is supposed to be weighing themselves, but I've seen these discussions on other diet forums I've been on over the years. The best explanation I've come across is that after a hard workout, you have increased your inflammation and during that time you retain water. As the inflammation lessens, you let go of that water. Maybe someone will have a more scientific explanation for you -- you could go ask in the Athletes section of the forum. (please, please Just remember that weight loss is not linear -- it doesn't Just go down a bit at a time consistently no matter what you do. It can vary based on all sorts of things, some of which you have no real control over.)

Are you eating your post workout meals, and just generally eating enough to support your activity levels? I know when we're trying to lose weight it can be easy to fall back into that mindset of less is better, but you really do have to fuel your body to let it work it's best.

Haven't heard anything about gains being common at the beginning with a loss at the end (again because no weighing is a rule, we wouldn't have a lot of this data).

So many things can contribute to the scale waivering during a Whole30 - gaining muscle mass, bloat, undigested food, that time of the month for women are just a few thoughts. In any case, the scale does not measure health, which is what the Whole30 wants you to focus on.  Further, weight loss is typically not linear.

You might have gained muscle.  Take a look at this article for inspiration and why the scale does.not.matter.

Here's one of my personal issues though: I am a perpetual plate-cleaner. What I serve myself is what I'm going to eat. I typically don't leave food behind. So without some external limit (points, etc) I struggle with a fear of overeating. I am not scared of the healthy fats, but I am concerned about my overconsumption of unneeded calories. And finding a balance between that and what I actually need considering my activity level. I'm trying to work on these things, and I've maintained some of the rules of the Whole30 anyway. For instance, I included two slices of bread with my otherwise compliant lunch the other day. I seriously slipped into a coma for an hour sitting in my chair. The next day, a bit more bread.....super-sleepy like I'd been drugged. So the wheat, I know, must go. I hated feeling that way.

That said, I want to finish the Whole30, but I've got some things I've got to get my head around first. Thanks for your reply!

Hey Fmr_sailor. Sorry to hear this. I know for me in the past after a long run I could be up as much as 5 lbs the next day and it hangs around 3-5 days. Running distance causes micro-tears in your muscles which lead to inflammation and water retention. It's completely normal and I'm sorry you let that derail you. All I can say on the fear of iver consumption is I hear you. I had it too. I am a binge eater to start with - I don't generally have a shut off and can eat huge quantities in a sitting. This way of eating is the ONLY program that seems to be getting me satiety cues. Not every meal, not every day, but after 1.5 Whole 30s I can honestly say yes ... Sometimes I actually know I'm full enough to stop eating even with food left on my plate. I hope at some point you can put your doubts behind you and give yourself the full 30 days. In the meantime, I wish you well.

Hi All,

I'm so sorry I haven't been posting......I've actually had to throw in the W30 towel sadly. :0(

I can't even remember if I mentioned it earlier but I'm currently in a SUPER stressful period of work, moving an office of 130 staff and we only have 2 weeks to go.

I've had to realise that July just wasn't the right month for me to be taking on so many challenges!

My diet has had to take a back seat (I just don't have the time or mental ability this month to menu plan, shop & cook compliantly)...

My family is also taking a back seat - fending for themselves whilst I work longer hours & basically ignore them to continue working through the weekend...

Our move date is 2 weeks away and EVERYTHING is on hold in my life until I deliver this project!

Anyway, enough moaning . I'm just sad I haven't been able to keep up with how everyone has been going (I've been off the grid for nearly 2 weeks)..... I'm also sad I haven't been able to support my work mates through this (they've also fallen off the W30 wagon)!

So glad to check in and see that you're all going well - KEEP IT UP!!!

I'll promise pick up again later in the year and I hope to find you all again on another W30 journey!

Shout out to Marcella who I was in touch with up to day 5! Xx

Leanne.

Leanne - it sounds like that is the right decision for you. That much stress would be horrible to deal with and adding additional stress won't help you see the full benefits of W30. Hopefully once things calm down for you you'll be in a better headspace to start again. Best of luck!

After all the depressing news this morning of people suspending their programs for various reason I almost hate to chime in to say .... I FEEL AMAZING! Today I don't have a complaint in the world! It's Friday, a gorgeous morning, my mood is buoyant, I'm well rested, and I woke up starving after NOT snacking last night!

DJ - that massage sounds amazing! Reminds me how badly I need to schedule one. Careful to let your back heal - you're doing so well I'd hate to see you laid up.

99.-Whole30-with-Melissa-Hartwig.jpg

You need to stop weighing yourself sailor. I always get bloated during the early stages and weightloss is not linear, it's not like the forced weightloss of ww and this is why you need to get those scales out if your house!

If branded dieting really worked...there wouldn't be a lifetime membership for dieting.   It is ironic.   I come in peace and freedom as  I come from a tribe of WW devotees.   We were together over the 4th of July.   They're still stuck and have never been able to maintain any of their losses.  Some of them have hit it a time or two with a glancing blow and then bounced off - back into the Universe of dieting.

They're not happy.   

Some of them want the W30 but I don't know if they'll be able to shake decades of their dieting training.   Measuring, counting and weighing on the scales.  Artificial sweetners and cardboard box dinners, 100 cal sugar loaded snacks.    Some have made it through entire days eating 100 cal. snacks and staying within their point limits.   Several have T2 Diabetes and take meds.   They regulate or try to...their blood sugar with sugar loaded foods.   

Trying to convince someone against their will, they're of the same opinion still.   It's impossible to drag wild horses to the well for a drink of cool water.    My tribe prefers the koolaid.

The principles of a Whole 30 clash with branded dieting.  Trying to combine both of them at the same time, which I know that people try to do....will not work.   

Dieting never worked for me and it doesn't work for them either.   GFChris told me 14 months ago...do not get on the scales.  The Mods used to be firmer and it was much tougher than today.   There was no wiggle room.  That toughness was my greatest teacher.  I prefer it.  You can't let your feelings and emotions get hurt.  You want the BIG WIN...don't you?

Old habits are safer than the  Whole 30 rules.  You don't have to watch them and you don't have to keep them either.   They keep you. 

After all the depressing news this morning of people suspending their programs for various reason I almost hate to chime in to say .... I FEEL AMAZING! Today I don't have a complaint in the world! It's Friday, a gorgeous morning, my mood is buoyant, I'm well rested, and I woke up starving after NOT snacking last night!

DJ - that massage sounds amazing! Reminds me how badly I need to schedule one. Careful to let your back heal - you're doing so well I'd hate to see you laid up.

JenX - I have a weird thing when it comes to working out.  I can struggle getting out of a chair due to being stiff, sore or injured or moving slow because I am tired, sleep deprived or whatever, but when it is workout time and I get on my workout gear and get started up... almost always, my aches, pains and tiredness gets set aside.  When I put on the "uniform" and get to "work" I somehow get fixed enough to push hard with great intensity... Then after a cool down, I get changed and I am back to my old self.  Don't get me wrong, I don't have a Clark Kent - Superman going on here but there the mental state of "workout time" really has meaning for me.   BTW, I bring this up fully aware that you have a real and legitimate injury and I am not, in any way, suggesting you should suck it up and workout.  A broken foot is a broken foot!

Regarding the massage... You should so book one.  I always forget the preventative maintenance part of trying to be athletic.  I am very reactive but massage, stretching and active recovery are all so very key to long term success.

Today was another good day...Less sore than yesterday and today was one of my lighter workouts (BW squats - 21-18-15).  All tolled it was over in about 3 minutes.  My warm up and stretching took more time than the actual planned workout.  Oh, and I again rode to work on my bike.

Right now finishing up my lunch (2 small pork chops, a big salad (cabbage, kale and walnuts) and some cherries) plus catching up here.  I am so glad it is Friday. 

My wife just called and it looks like my family, my in-laws and my sister-in-laws family are all going out to a local all-you-can-eat buffet tonight for my 12-year old niece's Birthday.  They only have two times available for a reservation (4:30 and 7:00).  My FIL is type 2 diabetic and does not like to eat late so they are likely going to the 4:30 time slot.  I work to 5 PM so it looks like I miss the all-you-can-eat buffet which I am 100% OK with.  We have been before and there is roast beef, potato and salad options that are compliant but still happy to leisurely bike home, make myself a W30 dinner and enjoy the silence.

Enjoy your weekend and keep making good choices. 

Cheers

DJ

JenX - I have a weird thing when it comes to working out.  I can struggle getting out of a chair due to being stiff, sore or injured or moving slow because I am tired, sleep deprived or whatever, but when it is workout time and I get on my workout gear and get started up... almost always, my aches, pains and tiredness gets set aside.  When I put on the "uniform" and get to "work" I somehow get fixed enough to push hard with great intensity... Then after a cool down, I get changed and I am back to my old self.  Don't get me wrong, I don't have a Clark Kent - Superman going on here but there the mental state of "workout time" really has meaning for me.   BTW, I bring this up fully aware that you have a real and legitimate injury and I am not, in any way, suggesting you should suck it up and workout.  A broken foot is a broken foot!

Cheers

DJ

DJ - No worries! I didn't think you were saying that at all, believe me! :D  And I get the mindset. I trained for and did a half-ironman last year so I know waking up so sore you just want to take the day, but instead you get dressed out and get the training in and feel great again by the end of it. It's wonderful and rewarding -- so long as it's just muscle soreness/fatigue. I'd hate to see you suffer a true back injury though b/c that would not only take you out of lifting but also out of riding your bike. You know your body, what it's capable of, but make sure you listen to it. Enjoy your evening of quiet! Sounds lovely!

I certainly appreciate all the encouragement and support that I have received in the forums. Maybe my issue is that for the past 14 years, WW HAS worked for me. I have NEVER returned to my starting weight or even close except during my three pregnancies, and I used WW to lose the weight after each child was born and was back to goal within 6 months. Without starving myself or feeling deprived (most of the time). When I follow the program, I lose weight.

BUT....The Whole30 appeals to me because the more I learn about nutrition and our food supply (thank you, numerous Netflix documentaries) I am finding out that the "conventional wisdom" that I have grown up with isn't accurate as people are led to believe. A lot of it is spun by our own government and powerful corporations (yep, I'm a big time conspiracy theorist). I want to eat foods that are safe and nourishing, but allow some wiggle room for the not-so-good. I just got terribly overwhelmed in dishes and cleanup, fear of eating more than I needed or not eating enough and feeling awful, and I felt like I was LIVING in my kitchen. It was a lot all at once. I don't know how those of you with a full-time job make it work. Pointers, tips, advice????

With homeschool starting next month, it is a full time job even though I'm at home. Plus I have two other *little* jobs.

I don't know how those of you with KIDS make it work! LOL! I only have me to cook, and plan and provide for and yes, I do live in my kitchen. Luckily it's my favorite room so I'm good with that.   I just hit a rhythm in there, doing batch cooking Saturday or Sunday, doing meal planning (in my head) the day before on what I'm going to eat the following day. My big concession this W30 is, during the week, I let evening dishes sit and do dishes in the morning before work, every morning. I don't have a dishwasher and the first time around, between cooking vessels, eating plates/utensils, and the Tupperware I felt I was doing dishes 24 hrs a day. On batch cooking day I do them all day long and my fingers prune.  It really is a matter of finding your groove.

Yeah, I don't have kids, but I work full-time. Batch cooking is where it's at. And packing up meals to go so I can grab and go relatively quickly. Last night I got home at 10pm, and I was so glad I didn't have to think about what I was going to cook. I opened the fridge and was good to go. 

I'm prepping to leave for the weekend tonight, so I'll be getting more food together/made so I'm set for at least the beginning of next week. And then Tuesday, and likely Wednesday, I'll make some crock-pot meals so I have a couple of things to choose from going forward.

Archived