The crazy things people say

Jessica

BACKGROUND TO COMMENTARY: Go into "common kitchen" at training facility that is sugar-laden filled with poundcake, donuts, instant mac and cheese, cup o'noodes, etc. (you get the picture.)

In cleaning up my food lifstyle as well as rebuilding my immune system due to my autoimmune disease, I have no choice to be 100% on board in everything that crosses my lips. This includes better awareness of things I never used to think about or did for environmental choices only. http://www.ehow.com/info_8446890_dangers-styrofoam-containers-hot-liquids.html

Slight soapbox moment: Here comes the styrofoam cup...(why anyone would ever purchase those to serve people based on the environmental impact alone is beyond me)

Actual Dialogue:

Me: [standing at sink, minding my own business, rinsing out my reusable/recyclable starbucks cup with hot water so that I can make green tea from a bag I brought with me.]

Owner of training facility (who appears to be <50 but moves very arthritically and sickly :( ): "You can use our cups too."

Me: Thanks so much. I'm good though. (not wanting to be too preachy and zipping my lip.)

Owner: What's wrong with our stuff here?

Me: I just would rather not drink hot beverages or really anything out of styrofoam.

Owner: Oh. Well, guess good for you... (shrugging like I have an issue.) :rolleyes:

I HATE styrofoam cups! I physically cannot stand to drink anything out of them, not to mention how terrible they are for the environment. I'm with you on this one. What's wrong with a reusable cup? Some people...

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As my boyfriend and I decide what to do on a Friday:

Him: You want to go out for dinner tonight?

Me: Sure, that sounds great! Where do you want to go?

Him: Well....[pause].....where can you even eat?

Me: Pretty much any restaurant. Most places serve real food, you know...

Obviously our choices are limited on the Whole30, but the idea that I couldn't eat at a restaurant still baffles me a little...I'm eating REAL food for pete's sake...

My 9-year old daughter who's eating more whole30 compliant than she realizes : "Mum, i feel so sad for you that you can't have ice cream"

Me : "No need to be sad for me - I like the way I feel when I eat like this"

Daughter : "Still, it's so sad for you"

My grandparents lived to 93 & 97, I believe in large part because Grandma cooked from scratch at every meal. A meat. A vegetable. A salad. And usually potatoes. But if a potato is the worst thing in your diet, you're probably doing all right.

Some relatives (well-educated people who should understand science better than most) have embraced a hard-core, plant-only, no-oils, no-fats form of eating based on the work of some cardiologist. I keep getting their 'just watch this...' links about the evils of fats & meat. They boil a lot. And -- having always had slender builds -- they now look emaciated.

The vegan relatives bought me some non-stick pans "so you can cook without oil." Did they think I was deep-frying in Crisco every night?!

Seriously, I keep waiting for their hair to fall out and their skin to flake off...

I am having this exact same experience with my mother, who having tried vegetarian diets before and failed, is now on a vegan diet "to reverse heart disease". She's explaining this to me while eating a bowl of mussels in broth, drinking a glass of wine, and then offering me some vegan cookies, because "they're healthy". Um no thanks, but good luck with the new diet, my timer is set….

Did anyone else read this article? http://guardianlv.com/2014/03/obesity-obsession-danger/    I understand that there are those that fixate on weight issues but this sounds like they want to lump everyone who cares enough to insist on eating healthy into some sort of 'nutter' category.

Orthorexia nervosa is an eating disorder that is attributed to people who eat too many healthy foods

"That was quite possibly the worst meal I ever made!"

Exclaimed my mother when she _insisted_ that she cook dinner for a family gathering and wanted to do it 'whole 30' style because that was our latest 'fad'.  However, when I said 'whole foods', she took that to mean, no fat, no spices, no nothing.  I offered to cook.  I offered to go to a restaurant.  But no, she wanted to host everyone for a 'meal'.

We had roasted pork loin with no seasoning on it.  Zucchini that was cooked to death and mashed sweet potatoes (which was the only edible thing.

Then she added "I don't know how you stay on this diet!" as she broke out the Heath bar ice cream.

My teeth were so sore from trying to chew the shoe leather pork loin that I refrained from commenting that it wasn't the diet, it was the chef!

"That was quite possibly the worst meal I ever made!"

Exclaimed my mother when she _insisted_ that she cook dinner for a family gathering and wanted to do it 'whole 30' style because that was our latest 'fad'.  However, when I said 'whole foods', she took that to mean, no fat, no spices, no nothing.  I offered to cook.  I offered to go to a restaurant.  But no, she wanted to host everyone for a 'meal'.

We had roasted pork loin with no seasoning on it.  Zucchini that was cooked to death and mashed sweet potatoes (which was the only edible thing.

Then she added "I don't know how you stay on this diet!" as she broke out the Heath bar ice cream.

My teeth were so sore from trying to chew the shoe leather pork loin that I refrained from commenting that it wasn't the diet, it was the chef!

Wow that stinks. Maybe you need to invite her over for a real whole30 style meal. 

I got foiled at a friends house. I told them my restrictions and then asked questions when I got there. They made roasted pork with apples...

Than half way through my chop the wife said "Wait, does soy sauce have soy?.."

So I had to start over today.

Just found this thread--I have so much to contribute!! At the handful of events where I sat, complaint-free, with my glass of water because all food was non-compliant, here are a few of the many comments I've received:

The How's-That-Deprivation-Treating-You line of comments:

• "Are you sure you can have the water here? I'm not sure they imported it from Swiss mountaintops."
  • "Enjoying the air over there? I know you're not enjoying anything else!"
  • "Here, you wanna smell it?"
  • "How many days until you can have real food again?"

The Healthy-Eating-Makes-You-An-Alien line of comments:

• "I feel like we shouldn't look at Chocoholic while we're eating. Like we should avoid eye contact the way I do when my dog's near the table."
  • "Aww, is there no weird stuff for you here?"

The You're-Ruining-Life-Itself line of comments:

• "That's no way to live." 
  • "You only live once."
  • "I'd rather die happy than live on lettuce."

The I-Can't-Wrap-My-Mind-Around-This line of comments:

• "You can't have WINE? It's healthy!"
  • "So what's even left to eat?"
  • "How's the diet?...Oh right, detox. Cleanse?"
  • "But you don't need to lose weight, so why are you doing this?"

I swear I'm not making up a single one.

Just found this thread--I have so much to contribute!! At the handful of events where I sat, complaint-free, with my glass of water because all food was non-compliant, here are a few of the many comments I've received:

The How's-That-Deprivation-Treating-You line of comments:

• "Are you sure you can have the water here? I'm not sure they imported it from Swiss mountaintops."
  • "Enjoying the air over there? I know you're not enjoying anything else!"
  • "Here, you wanna smell it?"
  • "How many days until you can have real food again?"

The Healthy-Eating-Makes-You-An-Alien line of comments:

• "I feel like we shouldn't look at Chocoholic while we're eating. Like we should avoid eye contact the way I do when my dog's near the table."
  • "Aww, is there no weird stuff for you here?"

The You're-Ruining-Life-Itself line of comments:

• "That's no way to live." 
  • "You only live once."
  • "I'd rather die happy than live on lettuce."

The I-Can't-Wrap-My-Mind-Around-This line of comments:

• "You can't have WINE? It's healthy!"
  • "So what's even left to eat?"
  • "How's the diet?...Oh right, detox. Cleanse?"
  • "But you don't need to lose weight, so why are you doing this?"

I swear I'm not making up a single one.

I hate how people resort to sarcasm and reductio ad absurdum when they're faced with something that doesn't fit *their* line of thinking. It's how my mother thinks/feels about my now needing to be gluten free (discovered I have Celiac's as a result of my Whole 30). She sends me every pin on pinterest that has to do with being gluten free. What I'd love to say is "gee, thanks, mom, for sending me a pin of someone who used the gluten free version of Bisquick to make chicken and dumplings. Because, you know, we EVER had chicken and dumplings growing up? Or I've EVER mentioned how much I miss chicken and dumplings? You know, I nestled it right there between 'I just made cauliflower fried rice and LOVED IT' and 'I just found the best chicken recipe'..."

Seriously, if she pins me another 'decadent brownie cheesecake' recipe or 'no duh' type of gluten free recipe (if it says in the recipe "just substitute a gluten free flour for the flour" I don't want it!fdsa;ljlkjfdsa)...I might explode.

My husband is lactose intolerant so dairy was a minimal part of our lives even before I started the whole30  My mom is forever assuming he can't have eggs because "they're in the dairy aisle at the grocery store so that makes them dairy."  I have tried explaining the difference, and she just smiles like I'm crazy. hah!

My grandmother-in-law is bakes her holiday ham in cola (yeah, yuck) and insists that "the sugar cooks out" so it's healthy.... uh yeah, sure it does.

When I first explained the whole30 to my husband he wanted to do it too because he recognized it was a good way to get healthy.  As I was telling him how it eliminates all grains and dairy (he lives off of waffles/pancakes, white potatoes, and sandwiches) he holds up a piece of provolone cheese and says increduously, "can I at least have this?!" :huh:

Renee - how about everything in moderation - including moderation!

Yep I think we've all heard about doing things in moderation. I usually ignore that comment and walk away. Clearly I'm speaking to a brick wall.

I got the "moderation" speech many times on low carb (note: my version of low carb was a LOT of veggies, quality meat, eggs and some dairy). The truth is that I did Weight Watchers. I was absolutely compliant. I lost 3 pounds the first week and nothing for the next 6. I followed the points, ate "healthy" and "balanced". Not only did I not lose weight, I felt like carp.

But people don't *hear* that when I talk to them. They hear a Charlie Brown voice - they just wait for me to finish talking and then launch into some version of "eat less, move more" science and expect that things will change for me. Even the WW leader didn't believe me!!

I learned in low carb to be select and quiet about my diet style. Not because I can't defend it but because why bother?

My grandmother-in-law is bakes her holiday ham in cola (yeah, yuck) and insists that "the sugar cooks out" so it's healthy.... uh yeah, sure it does.

Yes because the sugar is the only thing that makes cola unhealthy. :rolleyes:  Yuck!

In January, I saw my doctor. She mentioned I had lost a few pounds (I discovered Paleo last year.) I said yes and explained how I had changed my eating habits. She said, "Well, you'll never be able to lose it with just diet and exercise" while handing me a brochure for lap band surgery.

I just had a check up - down nearly 30 more pounds & blood pressure is finally in normal range again.  No kudos from doc, just a reminder that they offer surgery (and will happily finance it for me too). 

Needless to say, *if* I need to see a doctor again, it won't be her!!!

Same doctor is extremely concerned my 2 year old doesn't drink milk. (Dot breastfed for 13 months and I just never gave her bovine juice.) She eats like I do - tons of fresh veggies plus meat and fats. She does eat more fruit than I do though.  Dot is off the chart in height and 75% in weight. Her iron levels are excellent and other blood work shows that she's solidly healthy and has no vitamin/mineral deficienes. But I'm depriving her of calcium. By not giving her milk. SMH!

I work in a field that is healthcare related and I've seen a lot of people who want weight loss surgery without realizing the process it involves... step 1 is diet for at least 6 months to prove that diets do work. You wouldn't even quailfy as a candidate since you are successfully losing weight on your own!  I hope you find yourself a doc who actually understands the crap she's talking about!

"What do you eat, cardboard?"

(talkative grocery store clerk sorting through my purchases) "Healthy, healthy, healthy, Lara bars? Those are chock full of sugar." (I advise him to read the label, and explain to him what a Whole30 is) "Oh. Well, how do you stay full if you don't eat dairy?"

"How are you supposed to get fiber?" (My poor boyfriend- I had to explain to him that fruits and vegetables contain fiber)

"30 DAYS?? You're insane" (I didn't have the guts to tell her I was planning to mainly follow these guidelines for the rest of my life)

This has happened to me today, I posted in my log, however I feel like sharing in this thread too :)

I love liver and all organ meats. I am walking down the aisles of the organic store. I see this pack and get all excited.

EC8D4EC4-27AF-4C70-AFD6-4AC4EE82D59B-742

Conversation while paying. Cashier: "Oh your dog is gonna love them!" Me:" I don't have a dog". Akward silence. I stare at the pack. It's a dog treat. Facepalm.

Ha ha ha - best forum post ever!!!

Because my DH did not want to do Whole30 with me, I sent him the guidelines and a link to the timeline so he would at least know what to expect.

In spite of that, he chose to ask me on Day 4 (Kill. All. The. Things.) "How is your Diet du Jour going?

Grrr....

(I'm on Day 14 now, and DH is still among the living thanks to my remarkable restraint.)

recounting frustrating coop story to a newer coworker about how they never have lamb liver anymore and that I found out it is because they can only get 1.5 lbs per week (that's all the liver from the two lambs they break down and sell for meat) and somebody has been reserving the whole lot FOR A DOG! So I'm complaining that it is not fair and I should find that dog and negotiate for a 1/4 lb and he looks at me totally straight-faced and says:

"what's it for, your cat?"

"Quitting whole food groups is extreme and unhealthy." - said to me while they were literally eating a Little Debbie snack cake.

"Oh, I quit sugar by using xylitol and stevia instead. Plus, xylitol is really good for your teeth."

Oh, and the person who said the first quote also once said to me that "they" know hunter-gatherers ate wheat. When I started trying to explaining that grains off a wheat plant from thousands of years ago and bread are very different things, they said that of course they didn't just eat the individual grains. They collected them to bake bread.

Yes, our pre-agricultural ancestors were building foil ovens and baking bread in the Savannah. Probably with the fresh butter they churned. 

A lady at a social function was raving about how refreshing her beverage was.  She was going on about how she trys to be healthy and is really into the "whole foods thing".  "This drink was healthy because it didn't have aspartame in it."  I didn't have the heart to suggest that her bright pink, "sugar free", "calorie free", sweetened drink in a plastic bottle probably wasn't that healthy.

Archived