Brewer5: No Training Wheels

Brewer5

Kmlynne,  I see your back in biz over there on your food log.     You had a good day.   Are you hiking the Grand Canyon with your folkaronies this year or next year?

Sedona AZ and Grand Canyon are the last couple of weeks of October this year.  I am so excited!!!!  Trying to get some really good training hikes in over the next few weeks!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK - so here's the thing about eating while hiking.  (a continuation of an earlier conversation).  I would LURVE to be so adapted to be able to hike all day long without having to carry food - like the bicyclists.  But I can't.  I no longer have the shaky legs, sick, if I don't eat I'll pass out feeling.  Even when I am really really hungry, I still feel like I have the energy to continue on.  This is so much of an improvement from previous years :)  But, when I get hungry, I can't go long without eating.  (Its kinda hard to explain).  If I eat a whole meal, I end up with a sick stomach while continuing my walk.  Thus, for example, todays lunch was eaten over an hours period and I still felt overfull/nauseous when I was done.  A couple hours later, I was hungry again.....

So, I end up "needing" to eat something.  Thus the dried fruit and nuts.  It packs well, doesn't have to stay cold.  I can eat a handful at a time.  When I add some protein, I don't hungry as quickly - maybe.  

Perhaps things are changing.  I am glad to not have the "shakiness".  I hope that as I continue to eat well, maybe the hunger will ease off.  For now, I am going to try to not eat so much of the dried fruit and nuts.  See what happens.....

Karen, I just thought the story about the older couple on their crazy long bike rides was really cool.  They started their day out with a thermos of coffee and MCT oil, if I remember correctly.  Clearly they had specifically chosen to go through the process and remain in a  ketogenic state.  It's not really something that just happens... I mean, the books explain it better than I can -- but there is a definite period of adjustment where your body has to realize that it is no longer going to be able to rely on a steady stream of glucose, and it has to sort of "remember" -- like, "oh, hey, I can make fuel out of this and this and this, I just forgot!"   :lol:

They weren't trying to sell anything, they didn't have a book...  Just an inspiring story of an older couple whose bodies were able to function so much more efficiently on these rides than many people who are much, much younger than they are.

I know that you would still really like to lose some fat, and you expressed that feeling here, so that is why I commented about it.  Obviously with your big trip coming up, you want to prepare for that and be in the best shape you can be to take that on.  You have to do whatever you have to do to achieve that goal.  That is where your focus has to be for now.  

In the future -- maybe when your focus can be more on fat loss instead of the trip -- you will read Keto Clarity?  And then you could understand things that are explained much, much better than I can do here.   :)

Lily, I like all of the pictures.  Even if I don't like all of the pictures.  ;)

Karen -- I don't know how she does it, but I have to do a screen shot of something, save it in my photobucket account, and then add the image link directly into my post.  I don't know any other way to do it...

The Maggie song...late September and we really should be back at school.  Today is a school day for you.  You have lessons and papers to grade. 

One of the most important lessons we are teaching our children is how to be happy.

I did not have the freedom to be happy.  I did not have happy examples.  Every day was go, go, go, learn this because we said so, obey, obey, follow the rules, put up with the a-holes because you must.

My kids just danced and danced around the kitchen listening to your Maggie song.  They smiled and laughed and we all got silly together.  And they are learning that we can have friends across the country who can bring joy to our lives in so many unexpected and spontaneous ways.  

Sure, there are still a-holes, but we have a choice whether to hang around with them or not.  We choose not.  :)

You're a great mother.  Always will be.   

We choose and open the doors, don't we.  We can shut the doors, too.  I would be dancing in the kitchen with your kids.  I used to ride the school bus long distances every  day.  Those were truly the good old days.  We would all sing songs on the bus together.   I had a friend, we would sit together and comb out our long, wet hair.   

It didn't matter if it was freezing, snowing, or dry...we all ran to the bus with wet heads.  We would spend the hour combing out our hair and singing songs.  Bellowing out, entertaining the bus.  I know we drove the boys crazy but we were all bonded.  Long bus rides smooth out the rough edges.  There wasn't any fighting or bullying.   It didn't happen.

When we went to games and track meets, the drive could be 4 hours one way.  We would still sing the entire way and back again.   We were a tribe or platoon.  The  Coach used to tell us that he liked our singing.  It passed the time.   

I know the words to many songs and that's why I use songs for subject matter.  I try to match the song to the matter.  They are a great diversion from boredom and they motivate me.

So, Lily.  When you want to talk about weight stability, what do you want to discuss?  Do you have any starting thoughts you want to share?

I can tell you these truths, looking back on my life:  

When I cut out sugar, I lost weight without meaning to.

When I started eating sugar again, I gained weight without meaning to.

Archived