Brewer5: No Training Wheels

Brewer5

Yes.   I'm somewhere in the future and I look much better than I look right now.   I sing that to myself.  :D  I sing it with a cadence.  I'm somewhere...in the future....and I look much better than I look right now.    I'm somewhere...in the future

Let's talk about the future.  Weight stability is where it's at.   Peaks and valleys are not.   When you see wild swings UP and down and all around,  Houston....there's a big problem.   I want weight stability for the rest of my life.

I heard you yesterday.  As long as you keep lifting heavy things and doing the hard work,  you can have that popcorn or gummy bears every now and again.   It's not going to hurt you one iota.

It's not what we do some of the time but what we do all of the time that matters.  

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"We just accidentally banged our heads together and now we have a headache."

That is what's going on here. :rolleyes: Lol.

"Simultaneously all three went for the ball, and the coconut-like sound of their heads colliding secretly delighted the bird."

cdBpxLe.jpg

Hey there, fella.  Chime in, why don't you.    Tell me about your weight stability successes.

Tell me, you two....the secrets.   I want the truth and I can handle the truth and nothing but the truth.

There are members who've eaten it all back in 30 days time after a Whole 30...or within 6 months.

How have you maintained for years on end.    Releasing the weight is only part of the equation, it's the maintenance forever I'm after.   When people get too hungry, they eat it all back.   The body just ramps up the hunger and they cave right back in.

The fat cells scream for eating it allbulbar-smiley.gif?1292867562  back. brod-kavelarg-smiley.gif?1292867561  I want those frickety frick frick fat cells to shut the hail up. apple-smiley.gif?1292867548

I need your help here.   I can hear them screaming at me and I don't have cravings but they're telling me to eaaattttttt, eaaaatttttt.    It's not fish they want.   Those fat cells are starting to rebel and become really repulsive to me.  I'd like to get ahold of those slippery little suckers and send them on down the St. Verain.

How many people edge right on up to their optimum setpoint and it all goes to hail on them. Ooooo, we've seen it and read the crying and gnashing of teeth after it all goes down the tubes.

The risk is getting too hungry and eating it all back and quitting.  It happens.   I don't want that to happen to me.   It would be a soul-crushing experience.   So help me.  Bueller.....Bueller....

snap-out-of-it-smiley.gif?1292867675    So,  I am slapping myself and telling myself to snap out of it.   Is there a way to ever get the memory of those fat cells out of your body.   Is that memory there forever?  The former weight I was....is that written in stone and because I let it happen,  did I create a metabolic nightmare that will always make me sensitive to weight gain.   

I have so many things I feel like I'm fighting with.   Metabolic syndrome...that cortisol sickness that creates hormones in the belly fat, priming the fat pump and diabetes and all of the rest of this multi-crap.  These are things I wish I knew I could get rid of.

I've read stories of those who've released tremendous amounts of weight and they all say that their body latches onto rebound weight gain so fast because of those really large numbers.   It created a pressure cooker of health problems. 

Brewer or Bueller....Bueller....anyone, when you come back...these are things I would like to talk about.   Maintaining this stability and not going off of the rails because of body chemistry and fighting through it all.  

I never was overweight to begin with, so I guess I've always had weight stability? Maybe an extra 10-20 lbs now and then, when I'm being soft and lazy.

There might be some benefit in mental programming techniques from the personal development world ... Like, don't focus on negating something, but rather creating something positive. The theory is that your brain doesn't hear negative modifiers, so when you say "I don't have debt", or " I'm not fat", or "I no longer oversleep in the morning", your subconscious just hears that you are poor, fat, & lazy.

Gotta reframe it in terms of abundance, health, and productivity.

One school of thought, anyway.

When I was at my highest,   quite literally I would find myself eating dinner in the evening while not feeling hungry.   I never felt hungry and I just kept stacking it on. 

When I mixed everything up with a Whole 30,  ate  a big honking breakfast every morning, used proteins and fats...I was never hungry either.  The Whole 30 has been the forumula for building muscle and losing the fat.

I load up on fish, seafood, beef, game and very little fowl, hardly ever.   I forgot all of the funny stuff and just stick to super foods that are known and readily available.    Berries, kimchi, avocado, kale, spring greens, garlic, cinnamon, eggs, chili powder, olives, olive oil, some nuts and the list goes on.

These healthy foods have been super for making me feel great.    I've let the change of Whole 30 motivate me and it's been easy.

It's what I do most of the time that will matter, yes?   I will have to continue on with my good habits, keeping moving at a speed above couch mode and lift heavy things.   When my brain wants to reach back and have me fall back into bowls of pasta, bread, rice or refined sugary carbs...this is where I need help with those gnarly fat cells. 

I never was overweight to begin with, so I guess I've always had weight stability? Maybe an extra 10-20 lbs now and then, when I'm being soft and lazy.

There might be some benefit in mental programming techniques from the personal development world ... Like, don't focus on negating something, but rather creating something positive. The theory is that your brain doesn't hear negative modifiers, so when you say "I don't have debt", or " I'm not fat", or "I no longer oversleep in the morning", your subconscious just hears that you are poor, fat, & lazy.

Gotta reframe it in terms of abundance, health, and productivity.

One school of thought, anyway.

I knew you didn't have a heavy load..ever.    I believe it's all about the Brain Train.  Ayup.

This is why athletes continue to challenge themselves with accountability.  It's part of the process not to get stagnant.   I can see that.

Many people just come by weight stability naturally.  They have good genetics and I'm just an ole hound dog yakin' on a bone.  annoying-smiley.gif?1292867547 But step aside, the little dog's coming through.   You can teach an ole hound dog new tricks.   I want more tricks.   So if either of you can think of anything,  you be sure to toss this dog a bone now, won'tcha?   

I'm about ready to throw myself on the ground and bawl my head off like Lucy.  The closer you get to your optimum setpoint that brain wants to go all lazy arse on you and make you forget why you started this journey in the first place.

That's why I come here.  I remind myself and I keep myself company when everyone has disappeared.  I can do that.   fallen-from-bike-smiley.gif?1292867591  Our own company is enough....but hurry up and get back here  Brewer.   Bueller.   Bueller.   Anyone.     Time for the ridge.  

Move more and think less.   I still want to know how to tell those fat cells to shut-up already.hang-in-smiley.gif?1292867613

About the fish  (yes, I know I am late to the plate here).....  I have found the solution!!!  No worries about heavy metals, no worries about too much!

AND - we can use the fish to sustain our gardens!

Check this out!

http://aquaponicsuniversity.com

I went over this website for hours yesterday (well, a long time anyway).  It sounds too good to be true.  How I would love to get a small one for my property.  I don't need to feed 8 people.  Maybe if I can get something about 1/4 that size - bit enough for two.....  Might have to research this more in my spare time :)

One more thing before I go.   I ate 5 eggs and 6 pieces of bacon with roasted vege today.  Yes.  I did.  I feel pretty darned good.  

They say...whoever they are, that dogs and kids needs lots of exercise.  It helps with anxiety and restless energy.  Adults are no different.   I am an ole hound dog.   I need to bust my hiney and get out there and blow the stink off.   Kmlynne does it.  Brewer does it.  Kirkor does it.  Lancer...I don't know your protocol.

Anyhoo, it's simply time to blow the stinkin' thinkin' off and get out there on the trail and hike the ridge.  I'll catch you on the flip-flop.   Nice visiting with you folks, friends.  group-hug1-smiley.gif?1292867610

Now - as far as weight stability.  I personally have only had one time in my life that I was "weight stable" - and that was when I was at my heaviest.  I stayed that weight for months - no problem.  (300 lbs).  Over the years, I gain and lose 50 pounds at a time.  When I start a diet, it is nothing to lose 10-20 pounds in the first week.  

I know that as soon as I start eating processed foods (doesn't matter about serving sizes) my weight will jump up.  Cant decide if it the sodium (I do love my salt on fresh foods, so I doubt its that) or the sugar - or just all the other junk that is in the foods that causes my body to immediately retain water.  When I used to weigh myself daily, I could easily see a 5-7 pound weight gain/loss in a days time.  Sometimes I think a single 12 oz ice cream cone makes me gain 5 pounds - even so, sometimes its worth it!

I have been heavy my entire life.  I can honestly say that I haven't been "the right weight for my height" since elementary school.  Even as a competitive swimmer, I was heavy.  

Mostly, it doesn't bother me.  Do I wish sometimes that I had one of those bodies that looked great in a swim suit no matter what I ate?  that I could buy skinny jeans and bras off the rack?  That I could buy shirts without going into the "plus size" area?  That I could buy workout clothes?  Yes.  However, I am healthy enough to walk long distances, up mountains.  I can take care of my children and I can work.  When I am on w30, I also feel good - less aches and pains, less irritable gut.  

Sure, I fall off sometimes.  This time, I only gained back 15 pounds before getting motivated again.  (Thanks to you guys  ;) )  

So, personal weight stability?  I don't know what that is - and may never.  But I can strive for it :)

We're all at a different place but it doesn't matter because this is a judgment free zone and no one is in competition with each other.  Lovely.   I like that.   Kirkor and Brewer ....are far ahead of me.  It's alright.   We're working as a team, tribe, platoon.   

No dog eat dog up in here.   I don't have any 'beer goggles' or blinders on.   I've here for the truth.   A kombucha costs $4.00 a bottle.    A diet pop and gummy bears costs exactly the same thing.   $4.00.   

My friend who lives on gummy bears,  dark chocolate covered raisins, and popcorn stirred something up.  I think it was a dirt sandwich. I've eaten many dirt sandwiches in my life.   That grit is hard on your teeth but they've smartened me up.  It takes some of us longer than 30 days.     Subtle how some things can marsh your mellow. I've thought about those objects of her desire for 24 hours.   That's stinkin' thinkin' and after my hike I now know how to troubleshoot these weird cravings I'm having.

I'm gonna get my can of Raid and spray anything of that ilk that comes near me.  I will.  I mean it.  Raid takes care of everything.   

I'm kind of like Kirkor in that I've pretty much always had weight stability - at least in my adult lfe. In my teens I was a disordered eater and I believe I had what's probably known now as body dysmorphia.

Moving to a new country helped, as did learning to cook and to love food - the Greeks are passionate about food, and family life revolves around it - in Ireland we're passionate in the same way about alcohol!

Because of my disordered eating though I've always sought control, and finding Paleo & then following that with Whole30 was like a dream come true for me - healthy foods that I could eat pretty much as much of as I liked AND use it to fuel my training effectively (another control thing).

Since then I've found that sticking to the template is pretty much key in keeping things stable. It negates the needs for snacks, helps me feel full & satisfied, leaves me with no desire to eat any 'fillers' as I've no room for them (plus they're bland as hell anyways!), and helps me feel good/happy/energised/positive - and it's that positive attitude that keeps me where I am - kind of like (again) what Kirkor said - positive reinforcement that what I'm doing is good for me, & works for me. So mentally I'm good.

And when I'm feeling good (physically & mentally) I really have no desire to feel not so good. Simple.

Postive Mental Attitude.

I don't do snacks at all now. The 'fillers' I'm referring to as bland are all the grains, and all the by-products of them - breads, bagels, pasta, pizza, rice cakes, corn/flour tortillas - anything that adds no nutritional value to my plate and then sits in the bottom of my stomach like a sponge, taking days to digest & making me feel ill, lethargic, apathetic, exhausted, & down right sad.

Multi crap stodge. I don't do any of it any more.

Actually the smell of it all turns my stomach - especially freshly baked bread.

Paleo treats as you know I'll do now & again but they pretty rare - pre Whole30 I'd have had a tupperware of coconut banana bread or some bacon trail mix cookies or something on the go for occasional nibbling. Now the occasion has to be deemed special even for those. And I'll buy from a Paleo baker friend rather than make a batch that I then feel obliged to eat rather than dump them. A dozen trail mix cookies nolonger add value to my health - even if they do contain bacon  :wub: 

And I guess that's where my control issues come in handy - although I like to refer to it as discipline  :D

Fiend or Friend?  :D 

My best friend is terrible with food. I mean she goes through phases, and she's always asking for advice, and she takes it all on board for a short time, & then she goes back to eating like crap.

Part of her problem is that she tries to avoid having crap food in her house, but since she's not a great cook it means that she never has any GOOD food available either so she ends up snacking on whatever is available, which is never a good thing.

She's my best friend. I've know her for a million years. I absolutely love her to bits, but I will only eat in her company when we can eat out some place good & I can order something I know I'll enjoy - and amazingly on those occasions she follows my lead.

Try some positive reinforcement with your fiend/friend - avoid the Movie House & take her some place you can lead by example.... That's what I'd do.

And on that note I'm off to my scratcher - tomorrow always comes too soon.........................

Catch you all on the flipside  B)

Fiend.  There is no place to take her.  That's hilarious.  I could take her to the gas station for her diet pop refill and gummy bear habit.  We'd have to drive a million miles to a restaurant.  She could come to my house but she likes the showhouse.   We can't get rid of our faux foe fiend friends. 

However, I have been checking a few off my Christmas list.  Can't say I'll be missing them. kicked-out-smiley.gif?1292867628

Meadow, you know the plan gives you NUTRITION...and nourishment....all the rest is, as you named it: thrill eating. How to get the thrill eating gone? BRAIN TRAINING...wanting the feeling good and stable MORE than the thrill of gummy bears and chic covered anything.

I've gained and lost the same twenty, ok sometimes up to forty....and felt like crap with the weight on...but more than that, I want to feel healthy...alive, energetic

Oh sure, I can get PO'd with those who drink the lattes every day and eat all kinds of bread and sweets and drink lots....but for me, the ridge walking calls for the best in me and I want the mood stability, the good sleep, the solid sense of GOOD that comes from good food.

You do too...for some reason the multicrap has gotten a hook in you. Rip. It. OUT...and sing your best I Am STRONG song.

The 'fillers' I'm referring to as bland are all the grains, and all the by-products of them - breads, bagels, pasta, pizza, rice cakes, corn/flour tortillas - anything that adds no nutritional value to my plate and then sits in the bottom of my stomach like a sponge, taking days to digest & making me feel ill, lethargic, apathetic, exhausted, & down right sad.

I've long used "flour is filler" as a mnemonic: tortilla chips are just a way to get guacamole and salsa into my mouth ... spaghetti is about the meat sauce not the noodles (zoodles can serve if you need the squiggly texture) ... burgers are about the patty & toppings, the gun just gives you something to hold on to (but as civilized people we have plates and flatware) ... pancakes are about the syrup and chocolate chips ......... ok so maybe strike that last one.............

"The simple act of moving your body will do more for your brain than any riddle, math equation, mystery book, or even thinking itself."

-Grain Brain, p. 194

Now you're singin'.    I'm going to move again here before the sun goes down.   It works for my dog and it works for me, too.   

Archived